- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 872406, 6 pages
Combined Effects of Eurycoma longifolia and Testosterone on Androgen-Deficient Osteoporosis in a Male Rat Model
1Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, National University of Malaysia (Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia), 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Malaysia (Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia), 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 2 May 2012; Revised 26 June 2012; Accepted 16 July 2012
Academic Editor: Norazlina Mohamed
Copyright © 2012 Halimatun Saadiah Abdul Razak et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Kaufman, G. T′sjoen, and A. Vermeulen, “Androgens in male senescence,” in Testosterone Action, Deficiency, Substitution, E. Nieschlag and H. M. Behre, Eds., pp. 497–542, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2001.
- A. C. Looker, E. S. Orwoll, C. C. Johnston et al., “Prevalence of low femoral bone density in older U.S. adults from NHANES III,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1761–1768, 1997.
- N. A. Siddiqui, K. R. Shetty, and E. H. Duthie, “Osteoporosis in older men: discovering when and how to treat it,” Geriatrics, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 20–37, 1999.
- T. H. Diamond, “Hip fracture in elderly men: prognostic factors and outcomes,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 167, no. 8, pp. 412–415, 1997.
- L. Forsén, A. J. Søgaard, H. E. Meyer, T. H. Edna, and B. Kopjar, “Survival after hip fracture: short- and long-term excess mortality according to age and gender,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 1999.
- A. Aminorroaya, S. Kelleher, A. J. Conway, L. P. Ly, and D. J. Handelsman, “Adequacy of androgen replacement influences bone density response to testosterone in androgen-deficient men,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 152, no. 6, pp. 881–886, 2005.
- S. Bhasin, T. W. Storer, N. Berman et al., “The effects of supraphysiologic doses of testosterone on muscle size and strength in normal men,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 335, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 1996.
- I. G. Brodsky, P. Balagopal, and K. S. Nair, “Effects of testosterone replacement on muscle mass and muscle protein synthesis in hypogonadal men—a clinical research center study,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 81, no. 10, pp. 3469–3475, 1996.
- S. Bhasin, A. B. Singh, R. P. Mac, B. Carter, M. I. Lee, and G. R. Cunningham, “Managing the risks of prostate disease during testosterone replacement therapy in older men: Recommendations for a standardized monitoring plan,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 299–311, 2003.
- W. G. Goreja, Tongkat Ali: The Tree That Cures A Hundred Diseases, Amazing Herbs Press, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- R. Bhat and A. A. Karim, “Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma Longifolia Jack): a review on its ethnobotany and pharmacological importance,” Fitoterapia, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 669–679, 2010.
- M. I. Bin Bin Mohd Tambi and M. K. Imran, “Eurycoma Longifolia Jack in managing idiopathic male infertility,” Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 376–380, 2010.
- K. L. Chan, B. S. Low, C. H. Teh, and P. K. Das, “The effect of Eurycoma Longifolia on sperm quality of male rats,” Natural Product Communications, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1331–1336, 2009.
- A. N. Shuid, M. F. Abu Bakar, T. A. Abdul Shukor, N. Muhammad, N. Mohamed, and I. N. Soelaiman, “The anti-osteoporotic effect of Eurycoma Longifolia in aged orchidectomised rat model,” Aging Male, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 150–154, 2011.
- A. N. Shuid, L. K. Siang, T. G. Chin, N. Muhammad, N. Mohamed, and I. N. Soelaiman, “Acute and subacute toxicity studies of Eurycoma Longifolia in male rats,” International Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 641–646, 2011.
- D. Vanderschueren, I. Jans, E. V. Herck, K. Moermans, J. Verhaeghe, and R. Bouillon, “Time-related increase of biochemical markers of bone turnover in androgen-deficient male rats,” Bone and Mineral, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 123–131, 1994.
- N. A. Wahab, N. M. Mokhtar, W. N. H. A. Halim, and S. Das, “The effect of Eurycoma Longifolia jack on spermatogenesis in estrogen-treated rats,” Clinics, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 93–98, 2010.
- K. H. H. Nwe, P. B. Morat, and B. A. K. Khalid, “Opposite effects of sex steroids on 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in the normal and adrenalectomized rat testis,” General Pharmacology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 661–664, 1997.
- M. F. Moreau, H. Libouban, E. Legrand, M. F. Baslé, M. Audran, and D. Chappard, “Lean fat and bone masses are influenced by orchidectomy in the rat. A densitometric X-ray absorptiometric study,” Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions, vol. 1, pp. 209–213, 2001.
- M. Bondanelli, M. R. Ambrosio, A. Margutti, P. Franceschetti, M. C. Zatelli, and E. C. Degli Uberti, “Activation of the somatotropic axis by testosterone in adult men: evidence for a role of hypothalamic growth hormone-releasing hormone,” Neuroendocrinology, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 380–387, 2003.
- P. J. Snyder, H. Peachey, J. A. Berlin et al., “Effects of testosterone replacement in hypogonadal men,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 8, pp. 2670–2677, 2000.
- A. A. Ferrando, M. Sheffield-Moore, C. W. Yeckel et al., “Testosterone administration to older men improves muscle function: molecular and physiological mechanisms,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 282, no. 3, pp. E601–E607, 2002.
- G. A. Wittert, I. M. Chapman, M. T. Haren, S. Mackintosh, P. Coates, and J. E. Morley, “Oral testosterone supplementation increases muscle and decreases fat mass in healthy elderly males with low-normal gonadal status,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 618–625, 2003.
- F. Syed and S. Khosla, “Mechanisms of sex steroid effects on bone,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 328, no. 3, pp. 688–696, 2005.
- S. Hamzah and A. Yusof, “The ergogenic effects of Eurycoma Longifolia Jack: a pilot study,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 375, p. 465C, 2003.
- D. Vanderschueren, L. Vandenput, S. Boonen, M. K. Lindberg, R. Bouillon, and C. Ohlsson, “Androgens and bone,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 389–425, 2004.
- R. G. Erben, J. Eberle, K. Stahr, and M. Goldberg, “Androgen deficiency induces high turnover osteopenia in aged male rats: a sequential histomorphometric study,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1085–1098, 2000.
- L. Vandenput, A. G. H. Ederveen, R. G. Erben et al., “Testosterone prevents orchidectomy-induced bone loss in estrogen receptor-α knockout mice,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 285, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 2001.
- D. Vanderschueren, E. Van Herck, R. De Coster, and R. Bouillon, “Aromatization of androgens is important for skeletal maintenance of aged male rats,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 179–183, 1996.
- P. Garnero, E. Hausherr, M. C. Chapuy et al., “Markers of bone resorption predict hip fracture in elderly women: the EPIDOS prospective study,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1531–1538, 1996.
- L. J. Beardsworth, D. R. Eyre, and I. R. Dickson, “Changes with age in the urinary excretion of Lysyl- and hydroxylysylpyridinoline, two new markers of bone collagen turnover,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 671–676, 1990.
- M. Midtby, J. H. Magnus, and R. M. Joakimsen, “The Tromsø Study: a population-based study on the variation in bone formation markers with age, gender, anthropometry and season in both men and women,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 835–843, 2001.
- C. C. Danielsen, L. Mosekilde, and T. T. Andreassen, “Long-term effect of orchidectomy on cortical bone from rat femur: bone mass and mechanical properties,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 169–174, 1992.
- M. Díaz-Curiel, C. De La Piedra, F. I. Romero et al., “Effect of risedronate on bone mass, remodelling and biomechanical strength in orchidectomized rats,” Hormone Research, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 93–99, 2008.
- E. Seeman and P. D. Delmas, “Bone quality—the material and structural basis of bone strength and fragility,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 21, pp. 2250–2261, 2006.
- E. Seeman, “Bone quality: the material and structural basis of bone strength,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2008.