- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 878365, 8 pages
Inhibitory Activities of Cudrania tricuspidata Leaves on Pancreatic Lipase In Vitro and Lipolysis In Vivo
1Korean Medicine-Based Herbal Drug Research Group, Herbal Medicine Research Division, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine (KIOM), Daejeon 305-811, Republic of Korea
2Department of Life Science, Gachon University, Seongnam, Kyonggi-do 461-701, Republic of Korea
Received 14 August 2012; Revised 18 October 2012; Accepted 11 November 2012
Academic Editor: R. Govindarajan
Copyright © 2012 Young Sook Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- X. Pi-Sunyer, “The medical risks of obesity,” Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 21–33, 2009.
- K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carroll, C. L. Ogden, and L. R. Curtin, “Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 3, pp. 235–241, 2010.
- Y. Gargouri, S. Ransac, and R. Verger, “Covalent inhibition of digestive lipases: an in vitro study,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1344, no. 1, pp. 6–37, 1997.
- T. D. Filippatos, C. S. Derdemezis, I. F. Gazi, E. S. Nakou, D. P. Mikhailidis, and M. S. Elisaf, “Orlistat-associated adverse effects and drug interactions: a critical review,” Drug Safety, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 53–65, 2008.
- D. S. Jang, G. Y. Lee, J. Kim et al., “A new pancreatic lipase inhibitor isolated from the roots of Actinidia arguta,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 666–670, 2008.
- P. Slanc, B. Doljak, S. Kreft, M. Lunder, D. Janeš, and B. Štrukelj, “Screening of selected food and medicinal plant extracts for pancreatic lipase inhibition,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 874–877, 2009.
- H. Lee, H. Ha, J. K. Lee et al., “The fruits of Cudrania tricuspidata suppress development of atopic dermatitis in NC/Nga mice,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 26, pp. 594–599, 2012.
- L. Shi and Y. Fu, “Isolation, purification, and immunomodulatory activity in vitro of three polysaccharides from roots of Cudrania tricuspidata,” Acta Biochimica et Biophysica Sinica, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 418–424, 2011.
- J. H. Kim, H. J. Kim, H. W. Park, S. H. Youn, D. Y. Choi, and C. S. Shin, “Development of inhibitors against lipase and α-glucosidase from derivatives of monascus pigment,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 276, no. 1, pp. 93–98, 2007.
- C. Roh and U. Jung, “Screening of crude plant extracts with anti-obesity,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 13, pp. 1710–1719, 2012.
- J. Kim, D. S. Jang, H. Kim, and J. S. Kim, “Anti-lipase and lipolytic activities of ursolic acid isolated from the roots of Actinidia arguta,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 983–987, 2009.
- J. Galhardo, N. Davis, S. Matthai, and J. P. Shield, “European Medicines Agency withdrawal for sibutramine,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 95, no. 10, p. 856, 2010.
- M. L. Vetter, L. F. Faulconbridge, V. L. Webb, and T. A. Wadden, “Behavioral and pharmacologic therapies for obesity,” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 578–588, 2010.
- M. Li and B. M. Y. Cheung, “Pharmacotherapy for obesity,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 804–810, 2009.
- A. L. de La Garza, F. I. Milagro, N. Boque, J. Campión, and J. A. Martínez, “Natural inhibitors of pancreatic lipase as new players in obesity treatment,” Planta Medica, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 773–785, 2011.
- Y. Bustanji, I. M. Al-Masri, M. Mohammad et al., “Pancreatic lipase inhibition activity of trilactone terpenes of Ginkgo biloba,” Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 453–459, 2011.
- N. Karu, R. Reifen, and Z. Kerem, “Weight gain reduction in mice fed Panax ginseng saponin, a pancreatic lipase inhibitor,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 2824–2828, 2007.
- Y. S. Kim, Y. M. Lee, H. Kim et al., “Anti-obesity effect of Morus bombycis root extract: anti-lipase activity and lipolytic effect,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 130, no. 3, pp. 621–624, 2010.
- Y. M. Lee, Y. S. Kim, Y. Lee et al., “Inhibitory activities of pancreatic lipase and phosphodiesterase from Korean medicinal plant extracts,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 26, pp. 778–782, 2012.
- D. G. Kang, T. Y. Hur, G. M. Lee et al., “Effects of Cudrania tricuspidata water extract on blood pressure and renal functions in NO-dependent hypertension,” Life Sciences, vol. 70, no. 22, pp. 2599–2609, 2002.
- B. W. Lee, J. H. Lee, S. W. Gal, Y. H. Moon, and K. H. Park, “Selective ABTS radical-scavenging activity of prenylated flavonoids from Cudrania tricuspidata,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 427–432, 2006.
- Y. H. Rho, B. W. Lee, K. H. Park, and Y. S. Bae, “Cudraflavanone A purified from Cudrania tricuspidata induces apoptotic cell death of human leukemia U937 cells, at least in part, through the inhibition of DNA topoisomerase I and protein kinase C activity,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1023–1028, 2007.
- Y. S. Zou, A. J. Hou, and G. F. Zhu, “Isoprenylated xanthones and flavonoids from Cudrania tricuspidata,” Chemistry and Biodiversity, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 131–138, 2005.
- T. Zhao, G. R. Yan, S. L. Pan, H. Y. Wang, and A. J. Hou, “New isoprenylated 2-arylbenzofurans and pancreatic lipase inhibitory constituents from Artocarpus nitidus,” Chemistry and Biodiversity, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 2209–2216, 2009.