- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 892697, 11 pages
Study of the Effects of Monacolin K and Other Constituents of Red Yeast Rice on Obesity, Insulin-Resistance, Hyperlipidemia, and Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Using a Mouse Model of Metabolic Syndrome
1Department of Japanese Oriental Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
2Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
3School of Medicine, Fu Jen Catholic University, New Taipei City 24205, Taiwan
4Department of Hyperbaric Medicine, Cardinal Tien Hospital, Hsintien, Taipei County 231, Taiwan
5Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
6Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei 114, Taiwan
7Department of Environment and Humanity, Faculty of Human Development, University of Toyama, Toyama 930-8555, Japan
Received 29 August 2012; Accepted 1 December 2012
Academic Editor: Elisabet Stener-Victorin
Copyright © 2012 Makoto Fujimoto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. D. Williams, J. Stengel, M. I. Asike et al., “Prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis among a largely middle-aged population utilizing ultrasound and liver biopsy: a prospective study,” Gastroenterology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 124–131, 2011.
- G. C. Farrell and C. Z. Larter, “Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: from steatosis to cirrhosis,” Hepatology, vol. 43, no. 2, supplement 1, pp. S99–S112, 2006.
- G. Musso, R. Gambino, M. Cassader, and G. Pagano, “A meta-analysis of randomized trials for the treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Hepatology, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 79–104, 2010.
- A. Gastaldelli, S. A. Harrison, R. Belfort-Aguilar et al., “Importance of changes in adipose tissue insulin resistance to histological response during thiazolidinedione treatment of patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis,” Hepatology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1087–1093, 2009.
- E. F. Georgescu, “Angiotensin receptor blockers in the treatment of NASH/NAFLD: could they be a first-class option?” Advances in therapy, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1141–1174, 2008.
- A. Endo, “Monacolin K, a new hypocholesterolemic agent produced by a Monascus species,” Journal of Antibiotics, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 852–854, 1979.
- A. Endo, “Monacolin K, a new hypocholesterolemic agent that specifically inhibits 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase,” Journal of Antibiotics, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 334–336, 1980.
- M. Klimek, S. Wang, and A. Ogunkanmi, “Safety and efficacy of red yeast rice (Monascus purpureus) as an alternative therapy for hyperlipidemia,” P and T, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 313–327, 2009.
- M. P. McGowan and S. Proulx, “Nutritional supplements and serum lipids: does anything work?” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 470–476, 2009.
- Y. Nakanishi, K. Tsuneyama, M. Fujimoto et al., “Monosodium glutamate (MSG): a villain and promoter of liver inflammation and dysplasia,” Journal of Autoimmunity, vol. 30, no. 1-2, pp. 42–50, 2008.
- D. E. Kleiner, E. M. Brunt, M. Van Natta et al., “Design and validation of a histological scoring system for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Hepatology, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1313–1321, 2005.
- S. Cinti, G. Mitchell, G. Barbatelli et al., “Adipocyte death defines macrophage localization and function in adipose tissue of obese mice and humans,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 2347–2355, 2005.
- S. L. Friedman, “Hepatic stellate cells: protean, multifunctional, and enigmatic cells of the liver,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 125–172, 2008.
- M. You, R. V. Considine, T. C. Leone, D. P. Kelly, and D. W. Crabb, “Role of adiponectin in the protective action of dietary saturated fat against alcoholic fatty liver in mice,” Hepatology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 568–577, 2005.
- J. W. Park, G. Jeong, S. J. Kim, M. K. Kim, and S. M. Park, “Predictors reflecting the pathological severity of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: comprehensive study of clinical and immunohistochemical findings in younger Asian patients,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 491–497, 2007.
- A. Wieckowska, B. G. Papouchado, Z. Li, R. Lopez, N. N. Zein, and A. E. Feldstein, “Increased hepatic and circulating interleukin-6 levels in human nonalcoholic steatohepatitis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1372–1379, 2008.
- C. P. Day and O. F. W. James, “Steatohepatitis: a tale of two “Hits”?” Gastroenterology, vol. 114, no. 4 I, pp. 842–845, 1998.
- L. Hebbard and J. George, “Animal models of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 35–44, 2011.
- A. E. Feldstein, A. Canbay, M. E. Guicciardi, H. Higuchi, S. F. Bronk, and G. J. Gores, “Diet associated hepatic steatosis sensitizes to Fas mediated liver injury in mice,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 978–983, 2003.
- M. Orellana, R. Rodrigo, N. Varela et al., “Relationship between in vivo chlorzoxazone hydroxylation, hepatic cytochrome P450 2E1 content and liver injury in obese non-alcoholic fatty liver disease patients,” Hepatology Research, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 2006.
- M. D. Weltman, G. C. Farrell, P. Hall, M. Ingelman-Sundberg, and C. Liddle, “Hepatic cytochrome P450 2E1 is increased in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis,” Hepatology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 128–133, 1998.
- N. Chalasani, J. Christopher Gorski, M. S. Asghar et al., “Hepatic cytochrome P450 2E1 activity in nondiabetic patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis,” Hepatology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 544–550, 2003.
- G. Robertson, I. Leclercq, and G. C. Farrell, “Nonalcoholic Steatosis and Steatohepatitis. II. Cytochrome P-450 enzymes and oxidative stress,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 281, no. 5, pp. G1135–G1139, 2001.
- A. J. Sanyal, N. Chalasani, K. V. Kowdley et al., “Pioglitazone, vitamin E, or placebo for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 18, pp. 1675–1685, 2010.
- M. Gurnell, J. M. Wentworth, M. Agostini et al., “A dominant-negative peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ (PPARγ) mutant is a constitutive repressor and inhibits PPARγ-mediated adipogenesis,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 8, pp. 5754–5759, 2000.
- T. Takamura, E. Nohara, Y. Nagai, and K. I. Kobayashi, “Stage-specific effects of a thiazolidinedione on proliferation, differentiation and PPARγ mRNA expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 422, no. 1–3, pp. 23–29, 2001.
- T. Jeon, S. G. Hwang, S. Hirai et al., “Red yeast rice extracts suppress adipogenesis by down-regulating adipogenic transcription factors and gene expression in 3T3-L1 cells,” Life Sciences, vol. 75, no. 26, pp. 3195–3203, 2004.
- Y. Kohama, S. Matsumoto, and T. Mimura, “Isolation and identification of hypotensive principles in red-mold rice,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 2484–2489, 1987.
- B. A. Menge, H. Schrader, P. R. Ritter et al., “Selective amino acid deficiency in patients with impaired glucose tolerance and type 2 diabetes,” Regulatory Peptides, vol. 160, no. 1–3, pp. 75–80, 2010.
- B. R. Krause and R. S. Newton, “Lipid-lowering activity of atorvastatin and lovastatin in rodent species: triglyceride-lowering in rats correlates with efficacy in LDL animal models,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 237–244, 1995.
- J. C. Fraulob, V. Souza-Mello, M. B. Aguila, and C. A. Mandarim-de-Lacerda, “Beneficial effects of rosuvastatin on insulin resistance, adiposity, inflammatory markers and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in mice fed on a high-fat diet,” Clinical Science, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 259–270.
- D. J. Lloyd, J. Helmering, D. Cordover et al., “Antidiabetic effects of 11β-HSD1 inhibition in a mouse model of combined diabetes, dyslipidaemia and atherosclerosis,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 688–699, 2009.
- C. L. Oltman, T. L. Kleinschmidt, E. P. Davidson, L. J. Coppey, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Treatment of cardiovascular dysfunction associated with the metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes,” Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 47–53, 2008.
- V. G. Athyros, K. Tziomalos, T. D. Gossios et al., “Safety and efficacy of long-term statin treatment for cardiovascular events in patients with coronary heart disease and abnormal liver tests in the Greek Atorvastatin and Coronary Heart Disease Evaluation (GREACE) Study: a post-hoc analysis,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9756, pp. 1916–1922, 2010.
- M. Ekstedt, L. E. Franzén, U. L. Mathiesen, M. Holmqvist, G. Bodemar, and S. Kechagias, “Statins in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and chronically elevated liver enzymes: a histopathological follow-up study,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 135–141, 2007.
- J. H. Lewis, M. E. Mortensen, S. Zweig, M. J. Fusco, J. R. Medoff, and R. Belder, “Efficacy and safety of high-dose pravastatin in hypercholesterolemic patients with well-compensated chronic liver disease: results of a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial,” Hepatology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1453–1463, 2007.
- N. Chalasani, Z. Younossi, J. E. Lavine, et al., “The diagnosis and management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: practice guideline by the American Gastroenterological Association, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, and American College of Gastroenterology,” Gastroenterology, vol. 142, no. 7, pp. 1592–1609.
- D. J. Becker, R. Y. Gordon, S. C. Halbert, B. French, P. B. Morris, and D. J. Rader, “Red yeast rice for dyslipidemia in statin-intolerant patients: a randomized trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 150, no. 12, pp. 830–839, 2009.
- J. J. Li, Z. L. Lu, W. R. Kou et al., “Long-term effects of xuezhikang on blood pressure in hypertensive patients with previous myocardial infarction: data from the Chinese coronary secondary prevention study (CCSPS),” Clinical and Experimental Hypertension, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 491–498, 2010.
- R. G. Mihaila, L. Nedelcu, O. Fratila, E. C. Rezi, C. Domnariu, and M. Deac, “Effects of lovastatin and pentoxyphyllin in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 56, no. 93, pp. 1117–1121, 2009.
- J. J. Wang, C. L. Lee, and T. M. Pan, “Improvement of monacolin K, γ-aminobutyric acid and citrinin production ratio as a function of environmental conditions of Monascus purpureu s NTU 601,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 669–676, 2003.
- M. Fujimoto, K. Tsuneyama, H. Kinoshita et al., “The traditional Japanese formula keishibukuryogan reduces liver injury and inflammation in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1190, pp. 151–158, 2010.
- D. A. Mark, “All red yeast rice products are not created equal—or legal,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 106, no. 3, p. 448, 2010.
- K. Ikejima, H. Honda, M. Yoshikawa et al., “Leptin augments inflammatory and profibrogenic responses in the murine liver induced by hepatotoxic chemicals,” Hepatology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 288–297, 2001.