- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 902578, 16 pages
Prescription of Chinese Herbal Medicine and Selection of Acupoints in Pattern-Based Traditional Chinese Medicine Treatment for Insomnia: A Systematic Review
1Department of Psychiatry, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
2School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong
3School of Chinese Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
4Chinese Medicine Section, Hospital Authority, Hong Kong
Received 13 July 2012; Revised 13 October 2012; Accepted 20 October 2012
Academic Editor: Jianping Liu
Copyright © 2012 Wing-Fai Yeung et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. M. Ohayon, “Epidemiology of insomnia: what we know and what we still need to learn,” Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 97–111, 2002.
- D. J. Taylor, K. L. Lichstein, and H. H. Durrence, “Insomnia as a health risk factor,” Behavioral Sleep Medicine, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 227–247, 2003.
- National Institutes of Health, “National Institutes of Health State of the Science Conference statement on manifestations and management of chronic insomnia in adults, June 13–15, 2005,” Sleep, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1049–1057, 2005.
- C. M. Morin, R. R. Bootzin, D. J. Buysse, J. D. Edinger, C. A. Espie, and K. L. Lichstein, “Psychological and behavioral treatment of insomnia: update of the recent evidence (1998–2004),” Sleep, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1398–1414, 2006.
- N. J. Pearson, L. L. Johnson, and R. L. Nahin, “Insomnia, trouble sleeping, and complementary and alternative medicine: analysis of the 2002 National Health Interview Survey data,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 166, no. 16, pp. 1775–1782, 2006.
- D. H. Tian, Spiritual Axis, People’s Health Publishing House, Beijing, China, 2005.
- B. Wang, The Yellow Emperor’s Classic of Internal Medicine—Simple Questions, People’s Health Publishing House, Beijing, China, 1979.
- World Health Organization, WHO International Standard Terminologies on Traditional Medicine in the Western Pacific Region, World Health Organization, Western Pacific Region, 2007.
- W. Yang, F. Meng, and Y. Jiang, Diagnostics of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Academy Press, Beijing, China, 1998.
- A. Bensoussan, N. J. Talley, M. Hing, R. Menzies, A. Guo, and M. Ngu, “Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with Chinese herbal medicine: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 280, no. 18, pp. 1585–1589, 1998.
- Q. L. Zha, Y. T. He, and J. P. Yu, “Correlations between diagnostic information and therapeutic efficacy in rheumatoid arthritis analyzed with decision tree model,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 871–876, 2006.
- A. T. Lathia, S. M. Jung, and L. X. Chen, “Efficacy of acupuncture as a treatment for chronic shoulder pain,” The Journal of Alternative and Complement Medicine, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 613–618, 2009.
- D. C. Cherkin, K. J. Sherman, A. L. Avins et al., “A randomized trial comparing acupuncture, simulated acupuncture, and usual care for chronic low back pain,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 169, no. 9, pp. 858–866, 2009.
- E. A. Macklin, P. M. Wayne, L. A. Kalish et al., “Stop Hypertension with the Acupuncture Research Program (SHARP): results of a randomized, controlled clinical trial,” Hypertension, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 838–845, 2006.
- L. C. Chen, I. C. Chen, B. R. Wang, and C. H. Shao, “Drug-use pattern of Chinese herbal medicines in insomnia: a 4-year survey in Taiwan,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 555–560, 2009.
- W. F. Yeung, K. F. Chung, Y. K. Leung, S. P. Zhang, and A. C. K. Law, “Traditional needle acupuncture treatment for insomnia: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials,” Sleep Medicine, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 694–704, 2009.
- W. F. Yeung, K. F. Chung, M. K. Poon et al., “Chinese herbal medicine for insomnia: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials,” Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 497–507, 2012.
- B. Peng and J. Xie, Traditional Chinese Internal Medicine, People’s Medical Publishing House, Beijing, China, 2nd edition, 2007.
- A. R. Jadad, R. A. Moore, D. Carroll et al., “Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?” Controlled Clinical Trials, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1996.
- A. R. White and E. Ernst, “A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of acupuncture for neck pain,” Rheumatology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 143–147, 1999.
- Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China, Clinical Research Guidelines of New Chinese Herbal Medicine, Ministry of Health of China, Beijing, China, 1997.
- State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine of the People's Republic of China, Criteria of Diagnosis and Therapeutic Effect of Diseases and Syndromes in Traditional Chinese Medicine, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China, 1994.
- K. Chan, “Progress in traditional Chinese medicine,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 182–187, 1995.
- A. Ellis, N. Wiseman, and K. Boss, Fundamentals of Chinese Acupuncture, Paradigm Publications, Brookline, Mass, USA, 1991.
- J. J. Y. Sung, W. K. Leung, J. Y. L. Ching et al., “Agreements among traditional Chinese medicine practitioners in the diagnosis and treatment of irritable bowel syndrome,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1205–1210, 2004.
- C. J. Hogeboom, K. J. Sherman, and D. C. Cherkin, “Variation in diagnosis and treatment of chronic low back pain by traditional Chinese medicine acupuncturists,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 154–166, 2001.
- B. Zell, J. Hirata, A. Marcus, B. Ettinger, A. Pressman, and K. M. Ettinger, “Diagnosis of symptomatic postmenopausal women by traditional Chinese medicine practitioners,” Menopause, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 129–134, 2000.
- G. G. Zhang, B. Bausell, L. Lao, W. L. Lee, B. Handwerger, and B. Berman, “The variability of TCM pattern diagnosis and herbal prescription on rheumatoid arthritis patients,” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 58–63, 2004.
- M.K. Poon, K.F. Chung, W.F. Yeung, H.K. Yau, and S.P. Zhang, “Classification of insomnia using the traditional Chinese medicine system: a systematic review,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 735078, 9 pages, 2012.