- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 908601, 12 pages
Herbal Compound “Songyou Yin” Renders Hepatocellular Carcinoma Sensitive to Oxaliplatin through Inhibition of Stemness
1Liver Cancer Institute, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University and Key Laboratory of Carcinogenesis and Cancer Invasion, Ministry of Education, 180 Fenglin Road, Shanghai 200032, China
2Institutes of Biomedical Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China
Received 12 October 2012; Accepted 12 November 2012
Academic Editor: Hui-Fen Liao
Copyright © 2012 Qing-An Jia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, F. Bray, M. M. Center, J. Ferlay, E. Ward, and D. Forman, “Global cancer statistics,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 69–90, 2011.
- S. L. Ye, T. Takayama, J. Geschwind, J. A. Marrero, and J. P. Bronowicki, “Current approaches to the treatment of early hepatocellular carcinoma,” The Oncologist, vol. 15, supplement 4, pp. 34–41, 2010.
- J. Bruix, M. Sala, and J. M. Llovet, “Chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gastroenterology, vol. 127, pp. S179–S188, 2004.
- H. B. El-Serag, “Hepatocellular carcinoma,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, pp. 1118–1127, 2011.
- B. I. Carr, “Hepatocellular carcinoma: current management and future trends,” Gastroenterology, vol. 127, no. 5, supplement 1, pp. S218–S224, 2004.
- A. Aguayo and Y. Z. Patt, “Nonsurgical treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 503–513, 2001.
- A. D. Yang, F. Fan, E. R. Camp et al., “Chronic oxaliplatin resistance induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in colorectal cancer cell lines,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 14, pp. 4147–4153, 2006.
- A. N. Shah, J. M. Summy, J. Zhang, S. I. Park, N. U. Parikh, and G. E. Gallick, “Development and characterization of gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic tumor cells,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 3629–3637, 2007.
- J. E. De Larco, B. R. K. Wuertz, J. C. Manivel, and L. T. Furcht, “Progression and enhancement of metastatic potential after exposure of tumor cells to chemotherapeutic agents,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 2857–2861, 2001.
- H. Kajiyama, K. Shibata, M. Terauchi et al., “Chemoresistance to paclitaxel induces epithelial-mesenchymal transition and enhances metastatic potential for epithelial ovarian carcinoma cells,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 277–283, 2007.
- K. Yamauchi, M. Yang, K. Hayashi et al., “Induction of cancer metastasis by cyclophosphamide pretreatment of host mice: an opposite effect of chemotherapy,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 516–520, 2008.
- T. Yamashita, J. Ji, A. Budhu et al., “EpCAM-positive hepatocellular carcinoma cells are tumor-initiating cells with stem/progenitor cell features,” Gastroenterology, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 1012–e4, 2009.
- T. K. W. Lee, A. Castilho, V. C. H. Cheung, K. H. Tang, S. Ma, and I. O. L. Ng, “CD24+ liver tumor-initiating cells drive self-renewal and tumor initiation through STAT3-mediated NANOG regulation,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 50–63, 2011.
- Z. F. Yang, D. W. Ho, M. N. Ng et al., “Significance of CD90+ cancer stem cells in human liver cancer,” Cancer Cell, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 153–166, 2008.
- L. L. Liu, D. Fu, Y. Ma, and X. Z. Shen, “The power and the promise of liver cancer stem cell markers,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 2023–2030, 2011.
- M. Dean, T. Fojo, and S. Bates, “Tumour stem cells and drug resistance,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 275–284, 2005.
- C. T. Jordan and M. L. Guzman, “Mechanisms controlling pathogenesis and survival of leukemic stem cells,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 43, pp. 7178–7187, 2004.
- R. T. Costello, F. Mallet, B. Gaugler et al., “Human acute myeloid leukemia CD34+/CD38- progenitor cells have decreased sensitivity to chemotherapy and Fas-induced apoptosis, reduced immunogenicity, and impaired dendritic cell transformation capacities,” Cancer Research, vol. 60, no. 16, pp. 4403–4411, 2000.
- G. Liu, X. Yuan, Z. Zeng et al., “Analysis of gene expression and chemoresistance of CD133+ cancer stem cells in glioblastoma,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 5, p. 67, 2006.
- W. Xiong, Z. G. Ren, S. J. Qiu et al., “Residual hepatocellular carcinoma after oxaliplatin treatment has increased metastatic potential in a nude mouse model and is attenuated by Songyou Yin,” BMC Cancer, vol. 10, p. 219, 2010.
- B. G. Hollier, K. Evans, and S. A. Mani, “The epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and cancer stem cells: a coalition against cancer therapies,” Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 29–43, 2009.
- S. A. Mani, W. Guo, M. J. Liao et al., “The epithelial-mesenchymal transition generates cells with properties of stem cells,” Cell, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 704–715, 2008.
- M. E. Peter, “Let-7 and miR-200 microRNAs: guardians against pluripotency and cancer progression,” Cell Cycle, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 843–852, 2009.
- M. Santisteban, J. M. Reiman, M. K. Asiedu, et al., “Immune-induced epithelial to mesenchymal transition in vivo generates breast cancer stem cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 69, pp. 2887–2895, 2009.
- C. M. Tong, S. Ma, and X. Y. Guan, “Biology of hepatic cancer stem cells,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1229–1237, 2011.
- J. Tian, Z. Y. Tang, S. L. Ye et al., “New human hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) cell line with highly metastatic potential (MHCC97) and its expressions of the factors associated with metastasis,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 814–821, 1999.
- Y. Li, Z. Y. Tang, S. L. Ye et al., “Establishment of cell clones with different metastatic potential from the metastatic hepatocellular carcinoma cell line MHCC97,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 630–636, 2001.
- B. W. Yang, Y. Liang, J. L. Xia et al., “Biological characteristics of fluorescent protein-expressing human hepatocellular carcinoma xenograft model in nude mice,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1077–1084, 2008.
- X. Y. Huang, L. Wang, Z. L. Huang, Q. Zheng, Q. S. Li, and Z. Y. Tang, “Herbal extract Songyou Yin inhibits tumor growth and prolongs survival in nude mice bearing human hepatocellular carcinoma xenograft with high metastatic potential,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 135, no. 9, pp. 1245–1255, 2009.
- Q. Gao, S. J. Qiu, J. Fan et al., “Intratumoral balance of regulatory and cytotoxic T cells is associated with prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma after resection,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 18, pp. 2586–2593, 2007.
- M. M. Gottesman, T. Fojo, and S. E. Bates, “Multidrug resistance in cancer: role of ATP-dependent transporters,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 48–58, 2002.
- Y. Huang, P. Anderle, K. J. Bussey et al., “Membrane transporters and channels: role of the transportome in cancer chemosensitivity and chemoresistance,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 4294–4301, 2004.
- A. Elliot, J. Adams, and M. Al-Hajj, “The ABCs of cancer stem cell drug resistance,” IDrugs, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 632–635, 2010.
- J. Gil, A. Stembalska, K. A. Pesz, and M. M. Sasiadek, “Cancer stem cells: the theory and perspectives in cancer therapy,” Journal of Applied Genetics, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 193–199, 2008.
- S. Bao, Q. Wu, R. E. McLendon et al., “Glioma stem cells promote radioresistance by preferential activation of the DNA damage response,” Nature, vol. 444, no. 7120, pp. 756–760, 2006.
- M. Diehn, R. W. Cho, N. A. Lobo et al., “Association of reactive oxygen species levels and radioresistance in cancer stem cells,” Nature, vol. 458, no. 7239, pp. 780–783, 2009.
- T. Reya, S. J. Morrison, M. F. Clarke, and I. L. Weissman, “Stem cells, cancer, and cancer stem cells,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6859, pp. 105–111, 2001.
- R. C. Zhao, Y. S. Zhu, and Y. Shi, “New hope for cancer treatment: exploring the distinction between normal adult stem cells and cancer stem cells,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 74–82, 2008.
- M. R. Alison, W. R. Lin, S. M. Lim, and L. J. Nicholson, “Cancer stem cells: in the line of fire,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 589–598, 2012.
- V. Tirino, V. Desiderio, F. Paino, G. Papaccio, and M. De Rosa, “Methods for cancer stem cell detection and isolation,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 879, pp. 513–529, 2012.
- S. L. Yuan, R. M. Huang, X. J. Wang, Y. Song, and G. Q. Huang, “Reversing effect of Tanshinone on malignant phenotypes of human hepatocarcinoma cell line,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 4, no. 1–6, pp. 317–319, 1998.
- M. M. Y. Tin, C. H. Cho, K. Chan, A. E. James, and J. K. S. Ko, “Astragalus saponins induce growth inhibition and apoptosis in human colon cancer cells and tumor xenograft,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1347–1355, 2007.
- B. Campos, F. Wan, M. Farhadi et al., “Differentiation therapy exerts antitumor effects on stem-like glioma cells,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2715–2728, 2010.
- P. Rajan and R. Srinivasan, “Targeting cancer stem cells in cancer prevention and therapy,” Stem Cell Reviews, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 211–216, 2008.