- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 923153, 6 pages
Impact of Transcendental Meditation on Left Ventricular Mass in African American Adolescents
1Department of Pediatrics, Georgia Prevention Institute, Georgia Health Sciences University, HS1640, Augusta, GA 30912-3710, USA
2Colleges of Nursing and Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Room 418, 99 Jonathan Lucas Street, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Received 14 October 2011; Revised 13 February 2012; Accepted 23 March 2012
Academic Editor: Ka Kit Hui
Copyright © 2012 Vernon A. Barnes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. B. Devereux and M. J. Roman, “Hypertensive left ventricular hypertrophy: pathogenesis, prognostic importance, and treatment,” Cardiovascular Reviews and Reports, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 24–29, 1992.
- D. Levy, R. J. Garrison, D. D. Savage, W. B. Kannel, and W. P. Castelli, “Prognostic implications of echocardiographically determined left ventricular mass in the Framingham Heart Study,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 322, no. 22, pp. 1561–1566, 1990.
- A. H. Gradman and F. Alfayoumi, “From left ventricular hypertrophy to congestive heart failure: management of hypertensive heart disease,” Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 326–341, 2006.
- E. Pimenta, R. D. Gordon, A. H. Ahmed, et al., “Cardiac dimensions are largely determined by dietary salt in patients with primary aldosteronism: results of a case-control study,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 2813–2820, 2011.
- A. U. Klingbeil, M. Schneider, P. Martus, F. H. Messerli, and R. E. Schmieder, “A meta-analysis of the effects of treatment on left ventricular mass in essential hypertension,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2003.
- L. H. Naylor, K. George, G. O'Driscol, and D. J. Green, “The athlete's heart: a contemporary appraisal of the 'Morganroth hypothesis',” Sports Medicine, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 69–90, 2008.
- E. M. Urbina, P. R. Khoury, C. Mccoy, S. R. Daniels, T. R. Kimball, and L. M. Dolan, “Cardiac and vascular consequences of pre-hypertension in youth,” Journal of Clinical Hypertension, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 332–342, 2011.
- F. A. Treiber, F. McCaffrey, K. Pflieger, A. Rauniker, W. B. Strong, and H. Davis, “Determinants of left ventricular mass in normotensive children,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 6, pp. 505–513, 1993.
- T. R. Taylor, T. W. Kamarck, and S. Dianzumba, “Cardiovascular reactivity and left ventricular mass: an integrative review,” Annals of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 182–193, 2003.
- S. Julius and S. Nesbitt, “Sympathetic overactivity in hypertension a moving target,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 113S–120S, 1996.
- M. A. Hawkins, “Effectiveness of the transcendental meditation program in criminal rehabilitation and substance abuse recovery: a review of the research,” Journal of Offender Rehabilitation, vol. 36, pp. 47–65, 2002.
- K. G. Walton, R. H. Schneider, S. I. Nidich, J. W. Salerno, C. K. Nordstrom, and C. N. Bairey Merz, “Psychosocial stress and cardiovascular disease part 2: effectiveness of the transcendental meditation program in treatment and prevention,” Behavioral Medicine, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 106–123, 2003.
- D. W. Orme-Johnson, V. A. Barnes, and R. H. Schneider, “Transcendental meditation for primary and secondary prevention of coronary heart disease,” in Heart & Mind: The Practice of Cardiac Psychology, R. Allan and J. Fisher, Eds., pp. 365–379, American Psychological Association, Washington, DC, USA, 2nd edition, 2011.
- J. W. Anderson, C. Liu, and R. J. Kryscio, “Blood pressure response to transcendental meditation: a meta-analysis,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 310–316, 2008.
- M. V. Rainforth, R. H. Schneider, S. I. Nidich, C. Gaylord-King, J. W. Salerno, and J. W. Anderson, “Stress reduction programs in patients with elevated blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Current Hypertension Reports, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 520–528, 2007.
- V. A. Barnes, R. H. Schneider, C. N. Alexander, et al., “Impact of Transcendental Meditation on mortality in older African Americans with hypertension—eight year follow-up,” Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 201–216, 2005.
- R. H. Schneider, C. N. Alexander, F. Staggers et al., “Long-term effects of stress reduction on mortality in persons ≥55 years of age with systemic hypertension,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 1060–1064, 2005.
- J. W. Zamarra, R. H. Schneider, I. Besseghini, D. K. Robinson, and J. W. Salerno, “Usefulness of the transcendental meditation program in the treatment of patients with coronary artery disease,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 77, no. 10, pp. 867–870, 1996.
- A. Castillo-Richmond, R. H. Schneider, C. N. Alexander et al., “Effects of stress reduction on carotid atherosclerosis in hypertensive African Americans,” Stroke, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 568–573, 2000.
- V. A. Barnes, F. A. Treiber, J. R. Turner, H. Davis, and W. B. Strong, “Acute effects of transcendental meditation on hemodynamic functioning in middle-aged adults,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 525–531, 1999.
- V. A. Barnes and D. W. Orme-Johnson, “Clinical and pre-clinical applications of the Transcendental Meditation Program® in the prevention and treatment of essential hypertension and cardiovascular disease in youth and adults,” Current Hypertension Reviews, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 207–218, 2006.
- V. A. Barnes, F. A. Treiber, and H. Davis, “Impact of Transcendental Meditation® on cardiovascular function at rest and during acute stress in adolescents with high normal blood pressure,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 597–605, 2001.
- V. A. Barnes, M. H. Johnson, and F. A. Treiber, “Impact of transcendental meditation on ambulatory blood pressure in African-American adolescents,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 366–369, 2004.
- K. A. Kondwani, R. H. Schneider, C. N. Alexander, et al., “Left ventricular mass regression with the Transcendental Meditation technique and a health education program in hypertensive African Americans,” Journal of Social Behavior & Personality, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 181–200, 2005.
- JW Salerno, R. H. Schneider, C. N. Alexander, et al., “A controlled trial of effects of stress reduction on left ventricular mass in hypertensive African Americans,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 14, pp. S2–S54, 2004.
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on Hypertension Control in Children and Adolescents, “Update on the 1987 task force report on high blood pressure in children and adolescents: a working group report from the national high blood pressure education program,” Pediatrics, vol. 98, no. 4, part 1, pp. 649–658, 1996.
- National Center for Health Statistics: NHANES III Anthropometric procedures, Washington DC, USA, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, US Government Printing Office,1988.
- R. Devereux, D. R. Alonso, E. M. Lutas, et al., “Echocardiographic assessment of left ventricular hypertrophy: comparison to necropsy findings,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 450–458, 1986.
- F. T. Travis, “Transcendental Meditation technique,” in The Corsini Encyclopedia of Psychology and Behavioral Science, W. E. Craighead and C. B. Nemeroff, Eds., pp. 1705–1706, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- F. Travis and J. Shear, “Focused attention, open monitoring and automatic self-transcending: categories to organize meditations from Vedic, Buddhist and Chinese traditions,” Consciousness and Cognition, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1110–1118, 2010.
- R. Roth, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's Transcendental Meditation, Primus, Washington, DC, USA, 1994.
- SAS Institute Inc, SAS/STAT Software, Changes and Enhancements, Release 6.10. In., SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA 1994.
- G. K. Kapuku, F. A. Treiber, H. C. Davis, G. A. Harshfield, B. B. Cook, and G. A. Mensah, “Hemodynamic function at rest, during acute stress, and in the field: predictors of cardiac structure and function 2 years later in youth,” Hypertension, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 1026–1031, 1999.
- R. Jevning, A. F. Wilson, and J. M. Davidson, “Adrenocortical activity during meditation,” Hormones and Behavior, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 54–60, 1978.
- K. G. Walton, N. D. Pugh, P. Gelderloos, and P. Macrae, “Stress reduction and preventing hypertension: preliminary support for a psychoneuroendocrine mechanism,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 263–283, 1995.
- C. R. K. MacLean, K. G. Walton, S. R. Wenneberg et al., “Altered responses of cortisol, GH, TSH and testosterone to acute stress after four months' practice of transcendental meditation (TM),” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 746, pp. 381–384, 1994.
- C. R. K. MacLean, K. G. Walton, S. R. Wenneberg et al., “Effects of the transcendental meditation program on adaptive mechanisms: changes in hormone levels and responses to stress after 4 months of practice,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 277–295, 1997.
- P. J. Mills, R. H. Schneider, D. Hill, K. G. Walton, and R. K. Wallace, “Beta-adrenergic receptor sensitivity in subjects practicing transcendental meditation,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 29–33, 1990.
- V. A. Barnes, L. B. Bauza, and F. A. Treiber, “Impact of stress reduction on negative school behavior in adolescents,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 1, no. 1, article 10, 2003.
- C. Cuspidi, A. Esposito, F. Negri et al., “Studies on left ventricular hypertrophy regression in arterial hypertension: a clear message for the clinician?” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 458–463, 2008.