- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 950757, 8 pages
Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicines for Treating HIV Infections and AIDS
1Center of AIDS Treatment with Traditional Chinese Medicine, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, 16 Dongzhimennei South Street, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100700, China
2Department of Diagnosis with Chinese Medicine, University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100029, China
3Institute of Basic Research in Clinical Medicine, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
Received 16 July 2012; Revised 1 December 2012; Accepted 7 December 2012
Academic Editor: Ching Liang Hsieh
Copyright © 2012 Wen Zou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. He and R. Detels, “The HIV epidemic in China: history, response, and challenge,” Cell Research, vol. 15, no. 11-12, pp. 825–832, 2005.
- F. J. Zhang, Z. H. Dou, L. Yu, et al., “The effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy on mortality among HIV-infected former plasma donors in China,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 825–833, 2008.
- F. J. Zhang, Z. H. Dou, Y. Ma et al., “Effect of earlier initiation of antiretroviral treatment and increased treatment coverage on HIV-related mortality in China: a national observational cohort study,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 516–524, 2011.
- Y. Cui, A. Liau, and Z. Y. Wu, “An overview of the history of epidemic of and response to HIV/AIDS in China: achievements and challenges,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 122, no. 19, pp. 2251–2257, 2009.
- L. Alain and S. Mario, “The search for a cure for persistent HIV reservoirs,” AIDS Review, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 63–66, 2011.
- J. Liu, “The use of herbal medicines in early drug development for the treatment of HIV infections and AIDS,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1355–1364, 2007.
- J. Wang, W. Zou, Y. Liu, et al., “Assessing the effect of traditional Chinese medicine on CD4 cell count of 807 HIV/AIDS patients,” Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 828–831, 2010.
- A. F. Hsiao, M. D. Wong, D. E. Kanouse et al., “Complementary and alternative medicine use and substitution for conventional therapy by HIV-infected patients,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 157–165, 2003.
- M. Özsoy and E. Ernst, “How effective are complementary therapies for HIV and AIDS?—a systematic review,” International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 629–635, 1999.
- J. P. Liu, E. Manheimer, and M. Yang, “Herbal medicines for treating HIV infection and AIDS,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, Article ID CD003937, 2005.
- F. L. Bishop, L. Yardley, and G. T. Lewith, “A systematic review of beliefs involved in the use of complementary and alternative medicine,” Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 851–867, 2007.
- J. C. I. Tsao, A. Dobalian, C. D. Myers, and L. K. Zeltzer, “Pain and use of complementary and alternative medicine in a national sample of persons living with HIV,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 418–432, 2005.
- J. H. Burack, M. R. Cohen, J. A. Hahn, and D. I. Abrams, “Pilot randomized controlled trial of Chinese herbal treatment for HIV-associated symptoms,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes and Human Retrovirology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 386–393, 1996.
- S. Sangkitporn, L. Shide, V. Klinbuayaem et al., “Efficacy and safety of zidovudine and zalcitabine combined with a combination of herbs in the treatment of HIV-infected Thai patients,” Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 704–708, 2005.
- D. Shi and Z. L. Peng, “Randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study on Qiankunning for HIV/AIDS,” China Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1472–1474, 2003.
- J. Wang, F. Z. Yang, M. Zhao et al., “Randomized double-blinded and controlled clinical trial on treatment of HIV/AIDS by Zhongyan-4,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 6–11, 2006.
- R. Weber, L. Christen, M. Loy et al., “Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of Chinese herb therapy for HIV-1- infected individuals,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes and Human Retrovirology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 56–64, 1999.
- J. Wang, Y. Liu, W. Zou, et al., “Clinical observations on 100 HIV/AIDS cases treated with Chinese herb aining granule plus HAART,” Chinese Journal of AIDS & STD, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 101–107, 2008.
- F. Jiang, S. H. Wei, B. Peng, et al., “Effect of Xiaomi granule in treating 40 patients of HIV/AIDS oral candidiasis,” Chinese Journal of Integral Medicine, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1117–1119, 2009.
- S. Q. Jiang, H. X. Sun, Y. M. Xu, Y. L. Jiang, J. W. Pei, and H. L. Wang, “Effects of Jingyuankang capsules on leukocyte level in AIDS patients,” Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 32–35, 2011.
- Z. Xu, X. P. Yang, L. Ni, et al., “Clinical study on Xielikang capsule in treatment of AIDS-related chronic diarrhea,” Global Traditional Chinese Medcine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 197–200, 2011.
- S. P. Xie, W. Q. Pan, H. J. Guo, et al., “Effect of Aikang capsule on immune function of HIV/AIDS patients,” Liao Ning Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 165–167, 2008.
- B. P. Shao, “Clinical effect and safety report on HIV/AIDS patients with Tangcao tablets,” in Proceedings of the 6th Conference on HIV/AIDS Treatment with TCM, China Association of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Anhui, China, December 2008.
- J. P. T. Higgins, D. G. Altman, and J. A. C. Sterne, “Assessing risk of bias in included studies,” in Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 510, J. P. T. Higgins and S. Green, Eds., chapter 8, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011, http://handbook.cochrane.org.
- K. F. Schulz, D. G. Altman, D. Moher, and CONSORT Group, “CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials,” BMC Medicine, vol. 8, article 18, 2010.
- H. MacPherson, D. G. Altman, R. Hammerschlag et al., “Revised standards for reporting interventions in clinical trials of acupuncture (STRICTA): extending the CONSORT statement,” Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 140–155, 2010.