- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 958145, 8 pages
Hemodynamic Changes in the Brachial Artery Induced by Acupuncture Stimulation on the Lower Limbs: A Single-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial
Department of Traditional Asian Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8575, Japan
Received 9 August 2012; Revised 16 October 2012; Accepted 30 October 2012
Academic Editor: Wolfgang Schwarz
Copyright © 2012 Masashi Watanabe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Giovanni, The Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Text for Acupuncturists and Herbalists, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK, 1989.
- S. P. C. Ngai, A. Y. M. Jones, and E. K. W. Cheng, “Lung meridian acupuncture point skin impedance in asthma and description of a mathematical relationship with FEV1,” Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology, vol. 179, no. 2-3, pp. 187–191, 2011.
- J. A. Sutherland, “Meridian therapy: current research and implications for critical care,” AACN Clinical Issues, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 97–104, 2000.
- G. Liu, A. Hyodo, Q. Cao, et al., Fundamentals of Acupuncture & Moxibustion, Huaxia Publishing House, Beijing, China, 2006.
- E. Haker, H. Egekvist, and P. Bjerring, “Effect of sensory stimulation (acupuncture) on sympathetic and parasympathetic activities in healthy subjects,” Journal of the Autonomic Nervous System, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 52–59, 2000.
- Y. Syuu, H. Matsubara, T. Kiyooka et al., “Cardiovascular beneficial effects of electroacupuncture at Neiguan (PC-6) acupoint in anesthetized open-chest dog,” Japanese Journal of Physiology, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 231–238, 2001.
- W. K. Wang, T. Lin Hsu, H. C. Chang, and Y. Y. Lin Wang, “Effect of acupuncture at Hsien-Ku (St-43) on the pulse spectrum and a discussion of the evidence for the frequency structure of Chinese medicine,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 41–55, 2000.
- Y. Kurono, M. Minagawa, T. Ishigami, A. Yamada, T. Kakamu, and J. Hayano, “Acupuncture to Danzhong but not to Zhongting increases the cardiac vagal component of heart rate variability,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 161, no. 1-2, pp. 116–120, 2011.
- L. Tough, “Lack of effect of acupuncture on electromyographic (EMG) activity—a randomised controlled trial in healthy volunteers,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 55–60, 2006.
- R. Appiah, S. Hiller, L. Caspary, K. Alexander, and A. Creutzig, “Treatment of primary Raynaud's syndrome with traditional Chinese acupuncture,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 241, no. 2, pp. 119–124, 1997.
- T. C. Kuo, C. W. Lin, and F. M. Ho, “The soreness and numbness effect of acupuncture on skin blood flow,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 117–129, 2004.
- S. Takayama, T. Seki, N. Sugita et al., “Radial artery hemodynamic changes related to acupuncture,” Explore, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 100–105, 2010.
- S. Takayama, T. Seki, M. Watanabe et al., “Brief effect of acupuncture on the peripheral arterial system of the upper limb and systemic hemodynamics in humans,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 707–713, 2010.
- M. Watanabe, S. Takayama, and T. Seki, “Haemodynamic changes in the superior mesenteric artery induced by acupuncture stimulation on the lower limbs,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 908546, 9 pages, 2012.
- C. L. Springfield, F. Sebat, D. Johnson, S. Lengle, and C. Sebat, “Utility of impedance cardiography to determine cardiac vs. noncardiac cause of dyspnea in the emergency department,” Congestive Heart Failure, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 14–16, 2004.
- A. C. Perrino, A. Lippman, C. Ariyan, T. Z. O'Connor, and M. Luther, “Intraoperative cardiac output monitoring: comparison of impedance cardiography and thermodilution,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 24–29, 1994.
- N. M. Albert, M. D. Hail, J. Li, and J. B. Young, “Equivalence of the bioimpedance and thermodilution methods in measuring cardiac output in hospitalized patients with advanced, decompensated chronic heart failure,” American Journal of Critical Care, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 469–479, 2004.
- J. L. Fellahi, V. Caille, C. Charron, P. H. Deschamps-Berger, and A. Vieillard-Baron, “Noninvasive assessment of cardiac index in healthy volunteers: a comparison between thoracic impedance cardiography and doppler echocardiography,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 1553–1559, 2009.
- J. Soga, K. Nishioka, S. Nakamura et al., “Measurement of flow-mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery—a comparison of measurements in the seated and supine positions,” Circulation Journal, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 736–740, 2007.
- U. Gembruch, “Assessment of the fetal circulatory state in uteroplacental insufficiency by Doppler ultrasound: which vessels are the most practicable?” Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 77–81, 1996.
- P. N. Burns and C. C. Jaffe, “Quamtitative flow measurements with Doppler ultrasound: techniques, accuracy, and limitations,” Radiologic Clinics of North America, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 641–657, 1985.
- K. J. W. Taylor and S. Holland, “Doppler US—part I. Basic principles, instrumentation, and pitfalls,” Radiology, vol. 174, no. 2, pp. 297–307, 1990.
- R. W. Gill, “Measurement of blood flow by ultrasound: accuracy and sources of error,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 625–641, 1985.
- J. Deanfield, A. Donald, C. Ferri et al., “Endothelial function and dysfunction—part I: methodological issues for assessment in the different vascular beds: a statement by the working group on endothelin and endothelial factors of the European society of hypertension,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 7–17, 2005.
- M. C. Corretti, T. J. Anderson, E. J. Benjamin et al., “Guidelines for the ultrasound assessment of endothelial-dependent flow-mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery: a report of the international brachial artery reactivity task force,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 257–265, 2002.
- Y. Nimura, H. Matsuo, and T. Hayashi, “Studies on arterial flow patterns—instantaneous velocity spectrums and their phasic changes—with directional ultrasonic Doppler technique,” British Heart Journal, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 899–907, 1974.
- C. W. Hsieh, C. W. Mao, M. S. Young, T. L. Yeh, and S. J. Yeh, “Respiratory effect on the pulse spectrum,” Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 77–84, 2003.
- D. Korpas and J. Halek, “Pulse wave variability within two short-term measurements,” Biomedical Papers of the Medical Faculty of the University Palacký, Olomouc, Czechoslovakia, vol. 150, no. 2, pp. 339–344, 2006.
- C. H. Chen, Acupuncture: A Comprehensive Text, Eastland Press, Seattle, Wash, USA, 1981.
- A. Sato, Y. Sato, A. Suzuki, and S. Uchida, “Reflex modulation of catecholamine secretion and adrenal sympathetic nerve activity by acupuncture-like stimulation in anesthetized rat,” Japanese Journal of Physiology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 411–421, 1996.
- S. Uchida and H. Hotta, “Acupuncture affects regional blood flow in various organs,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 145–151, 2008.
- E. Noguchi, “Mechanism of reflex regulation of the gastroduodenal function by acupuncture,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 251–256, 2008.
- B. Johansson, “Circulatory responses to stimulation of somatic afferents with special reference to depressor effects from muscle nerves,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 198, pp. 1–91, 1962.
- S. Uchida, M. Shimura, H. Ohsawa, and A. Suzuki, “Neural mechanism of bradycardiac responses elicited by acupuncture-like stimulation to a hind limb in anesthetized rats,” Journal of Physiological Sciences, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 377–382, 2007.
- H. Ohsawa, K. Okada, K. Nishijo, and Y. Sato, “Neural mechanism of depressor responses of arterial pressure elicited by acupuncture-like stimulation to a hindlimb in anesthetized rats,” Journal of the Autonomic Nervous System, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 27–35, 1995.
- K. Nishijo, H. Mori, K. Yosikawa, and K. Yazawa, “Decreased heart rate by acupuncture stimulation in humans via facilitation of cardiac vagal activity and suppression of cardiac sympathetic nerve,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 227, no. 3, pp. 165–168, 1997.
- J. Li, J. Li, Z. Chen, et al., “The influence of PC6 on cardiovascular disorders: a review of central neural mechanisms,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 47–50, 2012.
- E. Stener-Victorin, S. Fujisawa, and M. Kurosawa, “Ovarian blood flow responses to electroacupuncture stimulation depend on estrous cycle and on site and frequency of stimulation in anesthetized rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 84–91, 2006.
- S. Stock and K. Uvnas-Moberg, “Increased plasma levels of oxytoxin in response to afferent electrical stimulation of the sciatic and vagal nerves and in response to touch and pinch in anaesthetized rats,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 1988.
- D. Robertson, Primer on the Autonomic Nervous System, Elsevier, 3rd edition, 2012.
- T. Friedemann, X. Shen, J. Bereiter-Hahn, and W. Schwarz, “Regulation of the cardiovascular function by CO2 laser stimulation in anesthetized rats,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 27, pp. 469–477, 2012.
- S. Standring, Gray’s Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice, Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, UK, 40th edition, 2008.
- S. L. Magda, A. O. Ciobanu, and M. Florescu, “Comparative reproducibility of the noninvasive ultrasound methods for the assessment of vascular function,” Heart Vessels. In press.
- A. E. Donald, J. P. Halcox, M. Charakida et al., “Methodological approaches to optimize reproducibility and power in clinical studies of flow-mediated dilation,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 51, no. 20, pp. 1959–1964, 2008.
- L. Ghiadoni, F. Faita, M. Salvetti, et al., “Assessment of flow-mediated dilation reproducibility: a nationwide multicenter study,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1399–1405, 2012.
- N. M. De Roos, M. L. Bots, E. G. Schouten, and M. B. Katan, “Within-subject variability of flow-mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery in healthy men and women: implications for experimental studies,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 401–406, 2003.