- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 985151, 10 pages
Epimedium koreanum Nakai Water Extract Exhibits Antiviral Activity against Porcine Epidermic Diarrhea Virus In Vitro and In Vivo
1Korean Medicine (KM)-Based Herbal Drug Research Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-811, Republic of Korea
2Optifarm Solution, 48 Songnam-ri, Seonggeo-eup, Seobuk-gu, Cheonan-si 331-834, Chungcheongnam-do, Republic of Korea
Received 18 May 2012; Revised 19 October 2012; Accepted 6 November 2012
Academic Editor: Virginia S. Martino
Copyright © 2012 Won-Kyung Cho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Debouck, M. Pensaert, and W. Coussement, “The pathogenesis of an enteric infection in pigs, experimentally induced by the coronavirus-like agent, CV 777,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 157–165, 1981.
- M. B. Pensaert, “Porcine epidemic diarrhea virus,” in Disease of Swine, pp. 179–185, Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, USA, 8th edition, 1999.
- P. Debouck and M. Pensaert, “Experimental infection of pigs with a new porcine enteric coronavirus, CV 777.,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 219–223, 1980.
- R. Ducatelle, W. Coussement, and M. B. Pensaert, “In vivo morphogenesis of a new porcine enteric coronavirus, CV 777,” Archives of Virology, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 35–44, 1981.
- M. B. Pensaert and P. De Bouck, “A new coronavirus like particle associated with diarrhea in swine,” Archives of Virology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 243–247, 1978.
- M. B. Pensaert, “Porcine epidemic diarrhea,” in Diseases of Swine, A. D. Leman, B. E. Straw, W. L. Mengeling, S. D'Allaire, and D. J. Taylor, Eds., pp. 344–346, The Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, USA, 5th edition, 1981.
- D. C. Turgeon, M. Morin, J. Jolette, R. Higgins, G. Marsolais, and E. DiFranco, “Coronavirus-like particles associated with diarrhea in baby pigs in Quebec.,” Canadian Veterinary Journal, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 100–xxiii, 1980.
- E. N. Wood, “An apparently new syndrome of porcine epidemic diarrhoea.,” Veterinary Record, vol. 100, no. 12, pp. 243–244, 1977.
- D. P. Briskin, “Medicinal plants and phytomedicines. Linking plant biochemistry and physiology to human health,” Plant Physiology, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 507–514, 2000.
- S. A. A. Jassim and M. A. Naji, “Novel antiviral agents: a medicinal plant perspective,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 412–427, 2003.
- A. J. Vlietinck and D. A. Vanden Berghe, “Can ethnopharmacology contribute to the development of antiviral drugs?” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 32, no. 1–3, pp. 141–153, 1991.
- M. Mukhtar, M. Arshad, M. Ahmad, R. J. Pomerantz, B. Wigdahl, and Z. Parveen, “Antiviral potentials of medicinal plants,” Virus Research, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 111–120, 2008.
- Y. Li, R. Jiang, L. S. M. Ooi, P. P. H. But, and V. E. C. Ooi, “Antiviral triterpenoids from the medicinal plant Schefflera heptaphylla,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 466–470, 2007.
- G. del Barrio and F. Parra, “Evaluation of the antiviral activity of an aqueous extract from Phyllanthus orbicularis,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 317–322, 2000.
- J. M. Song, K. H. Lee, and B. L. Seong, “Antiviral effect of catechins in green tea on influenza virus,” Antiviral Research, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 66–74, 2005.
- K. Hayashi, N. Imanishi, Y. Kashiwayama et al., “Inhibitory effect of cinnamaldehyde, derived from Cinnamomi cortex, on the growth of influenza A/PR/8 virus in vitro and in vivo,” Antiviral Research, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2007.
- H. Y. Kim, H. S. Shin, H. Park et al., “In vitro inhibition of coronavirus replications by the traditionally used medicinal herbal extracts, Cimicifuga rhizoma, Meliae cortex, Coptidis rhizoma, and Phellodendron cortex,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 122–128, 2008.
- F. Notka, G. Meier, and R. Wagner, “Concerted inhibitory activities of Phyllanthus amarus on HIV replication in vitro and ex vivo,” Antiviral Research, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 93–102, 2004.
- J. S. Chang, H. W. Liu, K. C. Wang et al., “Ethanol extract of Polygonum cuspidatum inhibits hepatitis B virus in a stable HBV-producing cell line,” Antiviral Research, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2005.
- G. Y. Zuo, Z. Q. Li, L. R. Chen, and X. J. Xu, “In vitro anti-HCV activities of Saxifraga melanocentra and its related polyphenolic compounds,” Antiviral Chemistry and Chemotherapy, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 393–398, 2005.
- F. M. Tolo, G. M. Rukunga, F. W. Muli et al., “Anti-viral activity of the extracts of a Kenyan medicinal plant Carissa edulis against herpes simplex virus,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 104, no. 1-2, pp. 92–99, 2006.
- A. M. M. Felipe, V. P. Rincão, F. J. Benati et al., “Antiviral effect of Guazuma ulmifolia and Stryphnodendron adstringens on poliovirus and bovine herpesvirus,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1092–1095, 2006.
- M. Yamai, K. Tsumura, M. Kimura, S. Fukuda, T. Murakami, and Y. Kimura, “Antiviral activity of a hot water extract of black soybean against a human respiratory illness virus,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 1071–1079, 2003.
- M. M. Parida, C. Upadhyay, G. Pandya, and A. M. Jana, “Inhibitory potential of neem (Azadirachta indica Juss) leaves on Dengue virus type-2 replication,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 273–278, 2002.
- T. Kuramoto, T. Daikoku, Y. Yoshida et al., “Novel anticytomegalovirus activity of immunosuppressant mizoribine and its synergism with ganciclovir,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 333, no. 3, pp. 816–821, 2010.
- L. Ratner and N. Vander Heyden, “Mechanism of action of N-butyl deoxynojirimycin in inhibiting HIV-1 infection and activity in combination with nucleoside analogs,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 291–297, 1993.
- L.-J. Zhao, W. Wang, Y. Liu, H. Ren, and Z.-T. Qi, “Interference with ERK and STAT signaling pathways and inhibition of hepatitis C virus replication by ribavirin,” Antiviral Research, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 260–268, 2012.
- Y. Zhang, M. Jamaluddin, S. Wang et al., “Ribavirin treatment up-regulates antiviral gene expression via the interferon-stimulated response element in respiratory syncytial virus-infected epithelial cells,” Journal of Virology, vol. 77, no. 10, pp. 5933–5947, 2003.
- S. M. Bierman, W. Kirkpatrick, and H. Fernandez, “Clinical efficacy of ribavirin in the treatment of genital herpes simplex virus infection,” Chemotherapy, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 139–145, 1981.
- R. W. Sidwell, K. W. Bailey, M. H. Wong, D. L. Barnard, and D. F. Smee, “in vitro and in vivo influenza virus-inhibitory effects of viramidine,” Antiviral Research, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 10–17, 2005.
- K. Yanagida, C. Baba, and M. Baba, “Inhibition of bovine viral diarrhea virus (BVDV) by mizoribine: synergistic effect of combination with interferon-α,” Antiviral Research, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 195–201, 2004.
- M. Saijo, S. Morikawa, S. Fukushi et al., “Inhibitory effect of mizoribine and ribavirin on the replication of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)-associated coronavirus,” Antiviral Research, vol. 66, no. 2-3, pp. 159–163, 2005.
- J. H. Song, J. K. Shim, and H. J. Choi, “Quercetin 7-rhamnoside reduces porcine epidemic diarrhea virus replication via independent pathway of viral induced reactive oxygen species,” Virology Journal, vol. 4, p. 460, 2011.
- B. H. Chung, J. D. Kim, C. K. Kim et al., “Icariin stimulates angiogenesis by activating the MEK/ERK- and PI3K/Akt/eNOS-dependent signal pathways in human endothelial cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 376, no. 2, pp. 404–408, 2008.
- D. W. Zhang, Y. Cheng, N. L. Wang, J. C. Zhang, M. S. Yang, and X. S. Yao, “Effects of total flavonoids and flavonol glycosides from Epimedium koreanum Nakai on the proliferation and differentiation of primary osteoblasts,” Phytomedicine, vol. 15, no. 1-2, pp. 55–61, 2008.
- K. S. Lee, H. J. Lee, K. S. Ahn et al., “Cyclooxygenase-2/prostaglandin E2 pathway mediates icariside II induced apoptosis in human PC-3 prostate cancer cells,” Cancer Letters, vol. 280, no. 1, pp. 93–100, 2009.
- S. H. Kim, I. J. Kim, H. M. Pyo, D. S. Tark, J. Y. Song, and B. H. Hyun, “Multiplex real-time RT-PCR for the simultaneous detection and quantification of transmissible gastroenteritis virus and porcine epidemic diarrhea virus,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 146, no. 1-2, pp. 172–177, 2007.
- H. J. Choi, J. H. Kim, C. H. Lee et al., “Antiviral activity of quercetin 7-rhamnoside against porcine epidemic diarrhea virus,” Antiviral Research, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 77–81, 2009.