- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 985457, 10 pages
Effects of the Yangjing Capsule Extract on Steroidogenesis and Apoptosis in Mouse Leydig Cells
1Institute of Andrology, Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, Nanjing 210046, China
2State Key Laboratory of Reproductive Medicine, Clinical Center of Reproductive Medicine, and the First Affiliated Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
Received 12 May 2012; Revised 4 September 2012; Accepted 3 October 2012
Academic Editor: Cheppail Ramachandran
Copyright © 2012 Dalin Sun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. J. Richmond and A. D. Rogol, “Male pubertal development and the role of androgen therapy,” Nature Clinical Practice Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 338–344, 2007.
- M. R. Pinsky and W. J. G. Hellstrom, “Hypogonadism, ADAM, and hormone replacement,” Therapeutic Advances in Urology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 99–104, 2010.
- M. Rabijewski and W. Zgliczyński, “Pathogenesis, evaluation and treatment of hypogonadism in men,” Endokrynologia Polska, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 222–233, 2009.
- N. Bassil, S. Alkaade, and J. E. Morley, “The benefits and risks of testosterone replacement therapy: a review,” Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 427–448, 2009.
- S. Kliesch, “Testosterone and infertility,” Der Urologe A, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 32–36, 2010.
- W. G. Ma and J. M. Jia, “The effects and prospects of the integration of traditional Chinese medicine and Western medicine on andrology in China,” Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 592–595, 2011.
- H. Q. Jin, F. Jiang, D. M. Deng, W. X. Chen, G. Z. Yang, and T. Q. Zhuang, “Regulatory effect of Bushenfang on the serum testosterone level of naturally aging rats and its mechanism,” Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 758–762, 2011.
- B. F. Jin, Y. F. Huang, and X. H. Lu, “Clinical observation of the treatment of male sexual dysfunction by yangjingjiaonang,” Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 272–276, 2006.
- B. F. Jin, Y. F. Huang, X. Y. Yang, X. J. Shang, X. H. Lu, and X. L. Wang, “Clinical observation on treatment of oligosperntatisn with yangjing capsule,” Journal of Nanjing TCM University, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 286–289, 2006.
- B. Jin, Y. Huang, X. Xia, X. Wang, X. Yang, and Z. Zhou, “Effect of Yangjing capsule and Xinxibao on sperm DNA integrity of patients with male infertility,” Chinese Journal of Andrology, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 45–49, 2006.
- M. L. Dufau, “Endocrine regulation and communicating functions of the Leydig cell,” Annual Review of Physiology, vol. 50, pp. 483–508, 1988.
- S. G. Haider, “Leydig cell steroidogenesis: unmasking the functional importance of mitochondria,” Endocrinology, vol. 148, no. 6, pp. 2581–2582, 2007.
- K. Henriksen, H. Hakovirta, and M. Parvinen, “Testosterone inhibits and induces apoptosis in rat seminiferous tubules in a stage-specific manner: in situ quantification in squash preparations after administration of ethane dimethane sulfonate,” Endocrinology, vol. 136, no. 8, pp. 3285–3291, 1995.
- M. A. Helal, H. Mehmet, N. S. B. Thomas et al., “Ontogeny of human fetal testicular apoptosis during first, second, and third trimesters of pregnancy,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 1189–1193, 2002.
- I. Budihardjo, H. Oliver, M. Lutter, X. Luo, and X. Wang, “Biochemical pathways of caspase activation during apoptosis,” Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 15, pp. 269–290, 1999.
- P. Saikumar, Z. Dong, V. Mikhailov, M. Denton, J. M. Weinberg, and M. A. Venkatachalam, “Apoptosis: definition, mechanisms, and relevance to disease,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 489–506, 1999.
- S. T. Kao, C. C. Yeh, C. C. Hsieh et al., “The Chinese medicine Bu-Zhong-Yi-Qi-Tang inhibited proliferation of hepatoma cell lines by inducing apoptosis via G0/G1 arrest,” Life Sciences, vol. 69, no. 13, pp. 1485–1496, 2001.
- B. Hu, H. M. An, K. P. Shen, and Q. Du, “Effects of Tenglong Buzhong Decoction on proliferation and apoptosis of human colon carcinoma cell line LS174T,” Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 575–580, 2010.
- Y. Wang, L. Song, X. Hong et al., “Low concentrations mono-butyl phthalate stimulates steroidogenesis by facilitating steroidogenic acute regulatory protein expression in mouse Leydig tumor cells (MLTC-1),” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 164, no. 1-2, pp. 15–24, 2006.
- Y. Fu, Z. Zhang, G. Zhang et al., “Adenovirus-mediated gene transfer of tissue factor pathway inhibitor induces apoptosis in vascular smooth muscle cells,” Apoptosis, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 634–640, 2008.
- S. Abid-Essefi, I. Baudrimont, W. Hassen et al., “DNA fragmentation, apoptosis and cell cycle arrest induced by zearalenone in cultured DOK, Vero and Caco-2 cells: prevention by Vitamin E,” Toxicology, vol. 192, no. 2-3, pp. 237–248, 2003.
- A. R. Doo, S. N. Kim, J. Y. Park et al., “Neuroprotective effects of an herbal medicine, Yi-Gan San on MPP+/MPTP-induced cytotoxicity in vitro and in vivo,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 433–442, 2010.
- Z. Quan and J. Wei, “The research of traditional Chinese drug kidney-reinforcing on increasing testosterone level-based on Meta analysis of 7 clinical contrast experiments,” Medical Information, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1153–1155, 2005.
- P. Pigny, A. Berault, D. Dewailly, and A. Boersma, “Glycoprotein hormones, glycosylation and biological activity,” Annales de Biologie Clinique, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 557–564, 1992.
- E. Ruoslahti, “Proteoglycans in cell regulation,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 264, no. 23, pp. 13369–13372, 1989.
- A. J. Lapthorn, D. C. Harris, A. Littlejohn et al., “Crystal structure of human chorionic gonadotropin,” Nature, vol. 369, no. 6480, pp. 455–461, 1994.
- Z. B. Zhang and Q. T. Yang, “The testosterone mimetic properties of icariin,” Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 601–605, 2006.
- Y. Zhou and Y. Geng, “Study on relationship between polysaccharides and cell apoptosis,” Chinese Traditional and Herbal Drugs, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 623–626, 2007.
- Q. M. Liu and J. G. Jiang, “Antioxidative activities of medicinal plants from TCM,” Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1154–1172, 2012.
- G. Z. Hu, R. Q. Nie, Y. S. Xiao, J. Zhang, Z. Wen, and D. F. Wu, “Influence of polygonatum polysaccharide on apoptosis of primary cultured neonate rat cerebral cortical neurons caused by hypoxia,” Pharmacology and Clinics of Chinese Materia Medica, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 37–39, 2005.
- M. S. Miao, Y. H. Sun, and X. Y. Fang, “Studies on anti-axidation capacity of radix rehmaniae preparate polysaccharide in aged model mice,” Chinese Journal of Information on Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 32–33, 2002.
- Y. Cui, “The progress in pharmacological research of rchmannia glutnosa polysaccharides,” Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 186–188, 2000.
- F. Kong, M. Zhang, S. Liao, S. Yu, J. Chi, and Z. Wei, “Antioxidant activity of polysaccharide-enriched fractions extracted from pulp tissue of litchi chinensis sonn,” Molecules, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 2152–2165, 2010.
- L. Chang, J. Li, F. Y. Meng et al., “Polysaccharides from the root of Angelica sinensis promotes hematopoiesis and thrombopoiesis through the PI3K/AKT pathway,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 10, article 79, 2010.
- S. W. J. Lamberts, A. W. Van Den Beld, and A. J. Van Der Lely, “The endocrinology of aging,” Science, vol. 278, no. 5337, pp. 419–424, 1997.
- S. G. Haider, “Cell Biology of Leydig Cells in the Testis,” International Review of Cytology, vol. 233, pp. 181–241, 2004.
- F. Matsuda-Minehata, N. Inoue, Y. Goto, and N. Manabe, “The regulation of ovarian granulosa cell death by pro- and anti-apoptotic molecules,” Journal of Reproduction and Development, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 695–705, 2006.
- A. G. Porter and R. U. Jänicke, “Emerging roles of caspase-3 in apoptosis,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 99–104, 1999.