- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 136732, 9 pages
Replacements of Rare Herbs and Simplifications of Traditional Chinese Medicine Formulae Based on Attribute Similarities and Pathway Enrichment Analysis
1Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Shanghai Key Laboratory of Regulatory Biology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences and School of Life Sciences, East China Normal University, Shanghai 200241, China
2Department of Ophthalmology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan 610041, China
3Schizophrenia Program, Shanghai Mental Health Center, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200030, China
4TCM Clinical Basis Institute, Zhejiang University of Chinese Medicine, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310053, China
Received 14 September 2012; Revised 24 December 2012; Accepted 26 December 2012
Academic Editor: Shu-Ming Wang
Copyright © 2013 Zhao Fang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Zhao, P. Jiang, and W. D. Zhang, “Molecular networks for the study of TCM pharmacology,” Briefings in Bioinformatics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 417–430, 2009.
- S. Li, Z. Q. Zhang, L. J. Wu, X. G. Zhang, Y. D. Li, and Y. Y. Wang, “Understanding ZHENG in traditional Chinese medicine in the context of neuro-endocrine-immune network,” IET Systems Biology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 51–60, 2007.
- E. Chan, M. Tan, J. N Xin, S. Sudarsanam, and D. E. Johnson, “Interactions between traditional Chinese medicines and Western therapeutics,” Current Opinion in Drug Discovery and Development, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 50–65, 2010.
- F. Cheung, “TCM: made in China,” Nature, vol. 480, no. 7378, pp. S82–S83, 2011.
- L. Wang, G. B. Zhou, P. Liu et al., “Dissection of mechanisms of Chinese medicinal formula Realgar-Indigo naturalis as an effective treatment for promyelocytic leukemia,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 12, pp. 4826–4831, 2008.
- Z. N. Wen, Z. J. Wang, S. Wang et al., “Discovery of molecular mechanisms of traditional Chinese medicinal formula Si-Wu-Tang using gene expression microarray and connectivity map,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 3, Article ID e18278, 2011.
- J. Shi, Y.-L. Liu, Y.-X. Fang, G.-Z. Xu, H.-F. Zhai, and L. Lu, “Traditional Chinese medicine in treatment of opiate addiction,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1303–1308, 2006.
- B. Xiao, O. Tao, J. Luo, and Y. Wang, “Relationships between properties and functional targets of Chinese herbs,” Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 789–793, 2011.
- S. Lukman, Y. He, and S. C. Hui, “Computational methods for traditional chinese medicine: a survey,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 283–294, 2007.
- R. C. Xue, Z. Fang, M. X. Zhang, et al., “TCMID: traditional Chinese medicine integrative database for herb molecular mechanism analysis,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. D1089–D1095, 2012.
- S. K. Yan, J. Zhao, S. S. Dou, et al., “Methodology of modernization research in traditional Chinese medicine based on systems biology and network biology,” Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 249–259, 2009.
- S. Li, B. Zhang, D. Jiang, Y. Wei, and N. Zhang, “Herb network construction and co-module analysis for uncovering the combination rule of traditional Chinese herbal formulae,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 11, no. 11, article S6, 2010.
- P. Tian, “Convergence: where west meets east,” Nature, vol. 480, no. 7378, pp. S84–S86, 2011.
- H. Kitano, “Systems biology: a brief overview,” Science, vol. 295, no. 5560, pp. 1662–1664, 2002.
- F. Rui, “Progress in TCM Informatics,” Chinese Journal of Information on TCM, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 2–7, 2009.
- J. D. Li, “System study of endangerment medicinal animals in China,” journal of Chinese Materia Medica, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 728–730, 2001.
- D. Graham-Rowe, “Biodiversity: endangered and in demand,” Nature, vol. 480, no. 7378, pp. S101–S103, 2011.
- M. K. Ang-Lee, J. Moss, and C.-S. Yuan, “Herbal medicines and perioperative care,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 2, pp. 208–216, 2001.
- J. Li, B. S. Gong, X. Chen et al., “DOSim: an R package for similarity between diseases based on disease ontology,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 12, no. 1, article 266, 2011.
- G. Bindea, B. Mlecnik, H. Hackl et al., “ClueGO: a cytoscape plug-in to decipher functionally grouped gene ontology and pathway annotation networks,” Bioinformatics, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1091–1093, 2009.
- M. Shen, R. Vermeulen, R. S. Chapman et al., “A report of cytokine polymorphisms and COPD risk in Xuan Wei, China,” International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, vol. 211, no. 3-4, pp. 352–356, 2008.
- B. Balbi, C. Bason, E. Balleari et al., “Increased bronchoalveolar granulocytes and granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor during exacerbations of chronic bronchitis,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 846–850, 1997.
- P. J. Castaldi, M. H. Cho, M. Cohn et al., “The COPD genetic association compendium: a comprehensive online database of COPD genetic associations,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 526–534, 2010.
- S. M. Opal and V. A. DePalo, “Anti-inflammatory cytokines,” Chest, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 1162–1172, 2000.
- L. Segura-Valdez, A. Pardo, M. Gaxiola, B. D. Uhal, C. Becerril, and M. Selman, “Upregulation of gelatinases A and B, collagenases 1 and 2, and increased parenchymal cell death in COPD,” Chest, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 684–694, 2000.
- I. K. Demedts, T. Demoor, K. R. Bracke, G. F. Joos, and G. G. Brusselle, “Role of apoptosis in the pathogenesis of COPD and pulmonary emphysema,” Respiratory Research, vol. 7, no. 1, article 53, 2006.
- A. L. Cornish, I. K. Campbell, B. S. McKenzie, S. Chatfield, and I. P. Wicks, “G-CSF and GM-CSF as therapeutic targets in rheumatoid arthritis,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 554–559, 2009.
- J. Van Holten, C. Plater-Zyberk, and P. P. Tak, “Interferon-β for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis?” Arthritis Research, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 346–352, 2002.
- P. C. Taylor and M. Feldmann, “Anti-TNF biologic agents: still the therapy of choice for rheumatoid arthritis,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 578–582, 2009.
- Y. Sugiura, T. Niimi, S. Sato et al., “Transforming growth factor beta-1 gene polymorphism in rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 826–828, 2002.
- L. Dai, Z. Q. Ye, M. A. Tang, and P. D. Yin, “Expression of TGFB1 in rheumatoid synovia and its relationship with synovial pathological changes,” Chinese Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 357–360, 2000.
- H. Ogata, S. Goto, K. Sato, W. Fujibuchi, H. Bono, and M. Kanehisa, “KEGG: Kyoto encyclopedia of genes and genomes,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 1999.
- E. W. St Clair, “Interleukin 10 treatment for rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. I99–I102, 1999.
- D. R. Yang, “Regional and ecological distribution of Cordyceps sinensis,” Journal of Anhui Agricultral University, vol. 26, pp. 143–148, 1999.