- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 169692, 9 pages
Systematic Review of Randomized Clinical Trials of Acupressure Therapy for Primary Dysmenorrhea
1Longhua Hospital, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, No. 725 South Wanping Road, Shanghai 200032, China
2Shanghai First People's Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200080, China
Received 22 April 2013; Revised 21 May 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: S. Schröder
Copyright © 2013 Hui-ru Jiang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Y. Dawood, “Primary dysmenorrhea: advances in pathogenesis and management,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 428–441, 2006.
- T. I. J. Hillen, S. L. Grbavac, P. J. Johnston, J. A. Y. Straton, and J. M. F. Keogh, “Primary dysmenorrhea in young Western Australian women: prevalence, impact, and knowledge of treatment,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 40–45, 1999.
- C. Banikarim, M. R. Chacko, and S. H. Kelder, “Prevalence and impact of dysmenorrhea on hispanic female adolescents,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 154, no. 12, pp. 1226–1229, 2000.
- J. R. Klein and I. F. Litt, “Epidemiology of adolescent dysmenorrhea,” Pediatrics, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 661–664, 1981.
- A. R. Davis and C. L. Westhoff, “Primary dysmenorrhea in adolescent girls and treatment with oral contraceptives,” Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 2001.
- T. Strinic, D. Bukovic, L. Pavelic et al., “Anthropological and clinical characteristics in adolescent women with dysmenorrhea,” Collegium Antropologicum, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 707–711, 2003.
- L. French, “Dysmenorrhea,” American Family Physician, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 285–292, 2005.
- M. L. Proctor and C. M. Farquhar, “Dysmenorrhoea,” Clinical Evidence, no. 15, pp. 2429–2448, 2006.
- M. L. Proctor, P. M. Latthe, C. M. Farquhar, K. S. Khan, and N. P. Johnson, “Surgical interruption of pelvic nerve pathways for primary and secondary dysmenorrhoea,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD001896, 2005.
- J. M. Helms, “Acupuncture for the management of primary dysmenorrhea,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 51–56, 1987.
- N. D. Barnard, A. R. Scialli, D. Hurlock, and P. Bertron, “Diet and sex-hormone binding globulin, dysmenorrhea, and premenstrual symptoms,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 245–250, 2000.
- B. Deutch, “Menstrual pain in Danish women correlated with low n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid intake,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 508–516, 1995.
- M. Y. Dawood and J. Ramos, “Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) for the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized crossover comparison with placebo TENS and ibuprofen,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 656–660, 1990.
- M. W. Beal, “Acupuncture and acupressure: applications to women's reproductive health care,” Journal of Nurse-Midwifery, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 217–230, 1999.
- F. Bazarganipour, M. Lamyian, R. Heshmat, M. A. J. Abadi, and A. Taghavi, “A randomized clinical trial of the efficacy of applying a simple acupressure protocol to the Taichong point in relieving dysmenorrhea,” International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 105–109, 2010.
- H. M. Chen and C. H. Chen, “Effects of acupressure at the Sanyinjiao point on primary dysmenorrhoea,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 380–387, 2004.
- H. M. Chen and C. H. Chen, “Effects of acupressure on menstrual distress in adolescent girls: a comparison between Hegu-Sanyinjiao Matched Points and Hegu, Zusanli single point,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 19, no. 7-8, pp. 998–1007, 2010.
- F. Kashefi, S. Ziyadlou, M. Khajehei, A. R. Ashraf, A. Reza Fadaee, and P. Jafari, “Effect of acupressure at the Sanyinjiao point on primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized controlled trial,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 198–202, 2010.
- N. Mirbagher-Ajorpaz, M. Adib-Hajbaghery, and F. Mosaebi, “The effects of acupressure on primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized controlled trial,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 33–36, 2011.
- Z. Pouresmail and R. Ibrahimzadeh, “Effects of acupressure and ibuprofen on the severity of primary dysmenorrhea,” Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 205–210, 2002.
- D. Taylor, C. Miaskowski, and J. Kohn, “A randomized clinical trial of the effectiveness of an acupressure device (Relief Brief) for managing symptoms of dysmenorrhea,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 357–370, 2002.
- C. L. Wong, K. Y. Lai, and H. M. Tse, “Effects of SP6 acupressure on pain and menstrual distress in young women with dysmenorrhea,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 64–69, 2010.
- J. P. T. Higgins and S. Green, Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011, http://handbook.cochrane.org/.
- M. Egger, G. D. Smith, M. Schneider, and C. Minder, “Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test,” British Medical Journal, vol. 315, no. 7109, pp. 629–634, 1997.
- S. H. Cho and E. W. Hwang, “Acupressure for primary dysmenorrhoea: a systematic review,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 49–56, 2010.
- H. Yang, C. Z. Liu, X. Chen et al., “Systematic review of clinical trials of acupuncture-related therapies for primary dysmenorrhea,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 87, no. 11, pp. 1114–1122, 2008.
- C. A. Smith, X. Zhu, L. He, and J. Song, “Acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhoea,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD007854, 2011.