- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 191080, 8 pages
Evaluation of the Hypoglycemic Properties of Anacardium humile Aqueous Extract
1Unidade de Biotecnologia, Universidade de Ribeirão Preto, UNAERP, Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil
2Departamento de Química, Universidade Federal de Lavras, UFLA, Lavras, MG, Brazil
3Universidade Federal de São João Del Rei, UFSJ, Campus Alto Paraopeba, Ouro Branco, MG, Brazil
4Centro de Estudos de Biomoléculas Aplicadas à Saúde, CEBio, Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ Rondônia e Departamento de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Rondônia, UNIR, Porto Velho, RO, Brazil
5Instituto Brasileiro do Meio Ambiente e dos Recursos Naturais Renováveis, IBAMA, Porto Velho, RO, Brazil
Received 20 January 2013; Accepted 7 April 2013
Academic Editor: Taofik O. Sunmonu
Copyright © 2013 Márcio A. Urzêda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Razali, R. Razab, S. M. Junit, and A. A. Aziz, “Radical scavenging and reducing properties of extracts of cashew shoots (Anacardium occidentale),” Food Chemistry, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 38–44, 2008.
- G. V. E. Rodrigues and D. A. Carvalho, Plantas Medicinais No Domínio Do Cerrado Lavras, UFLA, Lavras-MG, Brazil, 2001.
- A. Samad, M. S. Shams, Z. Ullah et al., “Status of herbal medicines in the treatment of diabetes: a review,” Current Diabetes Reviews, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 102–111, 2009.
- W. K. Anna and M. C. Shripal, “Antidiabetic activity of stem bark of Bridelia retusa (linn.) spreng,” Journal of Pharmacy Research, vol. 4, pp. 1149–1152, 2011.
- I. Funke and M. F. Melzig, “Traditionally used plants in diabetes therapy—phytotherapeutics as inhibitors of α-amylase activity,” Revista Brasileira De Farmacognosia, vol. 16, pp. 1–5, 2006.
- M. McGill and A. M. Felton, “New global recommendations: a multidisciplinary approach to improving outcomes in diabetes,” Primary Care Diabetes, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2007.
- N. S. Anavekar, D. J. Gans, T. Berl et al., “Predictors of cardiovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetic nephropathy and hypertension: a case for albuminuria,” Kidney International, vol. 66, no. 92, supplement, pp. S50–S55, 2004.
- H. J. Milionis, A. F. Winder, and D. P. Mikhailidis, “Lipoprotein (a) and stroke,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 487–496, 2000.
- B. Eliasson, K. Eeg-Olofsson, J. Cederholm, P. M. Nilsson, and S. Gudbjörnsdóttir, “Antihyperglycaemic treatment of type 2 diabetes: results from a national diabetes register,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 269–276, 2007.
- D. E. Moller, “New drug targets for type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6865, pp. 821–827, 2001.
- A. Braga, T. P. Medeiros, and B. V. Araújo, “Investigação da atividade antihiperglicemiante da farinha da casca de Passiflora edulis Sims, Passifloraceae, em ratos diabéticos induzidos por aloxano,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmacy, vol. 20, pp. 186–191, 2010.
- A. Luiz-Ferreira, M. Cola-Miranda, V. Barbastefano, C. A. Hiruma-Lima, W. Vilegas, and A. R. M. Souza Brito, “Should Anacardium humile St. Hil be used as an antiulcer agent? A scientific approach to the traditional knowledge,” Fitoterapia, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 207–209, 2008.
- M. L. R. Mota, G. Thomas, and J. M. Barbosa Filho, “Anti-inflammatory actions of tannins isolated from the bark of Anacardium occidentale L,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 289–300, 1985.
- I. Kubo, M. Ochi, P. C. Vieira, and S. Komatsu, “Antitumor agents from the cashew (Anacardium occidentale) apple juice,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1012–1015, 1993.
- M. A. El-Missiry and A. M. El Gindy, “Amelioration of alloxan induced diabetes mellitus and oxidative stress in rats by oil of Eruca sativa seeds,” Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 97–100, 2000.
- J. W. Patterson, A. Lazarow, and S. Levey, “Alloxan and dialuric acid; their stabilities and ultraviolet absorption,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 187–196, 1949.
- S. Lenzen, S. Freytag, U. Panten, P. R. Flatt, and C. J. Bailey, “Alloxan and ninhydrin inhibition of hexokinase from pancreatic islets and tumoural insulin-secreting cells,” Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 157–162, 1990.
- D. Janjic, P. Maechler, N. Sekine, C. Bartley, A. S. Annen, and C. B. Wollheim, “Free radical modulation of insulin release in INS-1 cells exposed to alloxan,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 639–648, 1999.
- P. Kamtchouing, S. D. Sokeng, P. F. Moundipa, P. Watcho, H. B. Jatsa, and D. Lontsi, “Protective role of Anacardium occidentale extract against streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 95–99, 1998.
- L. Figueroa-Valverde, F. Díaz-Cedillo, A. Camacho-Luis, et al., “Efectos inducidos por Ruta graveolens l., Cnidoscolus chayamansa mc vaugh y Citrus aurantium l. Sobre los niveles de glucosa, colesterol y triacilglicéridos en un modelo de rata diabética,” Revista Brasileira De Farmacognosia, vol. 19, pp. 898–907, 2009.
- A. L. Ferreira, “Atividade antiulcerogênica da espécie Anacardium humile st hill (anacardiaceae),” Unicamp, Campinas-SP, Brazil, 2005.
- M. M. Lerco, C. T. Spadella, J. L. M. Machado, et al., “Caracterização de um modelo experimental de diabetes mellitus induzido pela aloxana em ratos. Estudo clínico e laboratorial,” Acta Cirurgica Brasileira, vol. 18, pp. 132–142, 2003.
- J. L. Chiasson, N. Aris-Jilwan, R. Bélanger, S. Bertrand, H. Beauregard, and J. M. Ékoé, “Diagnosis and treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis and the hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 168, pp. 859–866, 2003.
- D. R. Cha, N. H. Kim, J. W. Yoon, et al., “Role of vascular endothelial growth factor in diabetic nephropathy,” Kidney International, vol. 58, no. 77, pp. S104–S112, 2000.
- H. Chen, R. Feng, Y. Guo, L. Sun, and J. Jiang, “Hypoglycemic effects of aqueous extract of Rhizoma Polygonati odorati in mice and rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 225–229, 2001.
- N. Kamalakkannan and P. S. M. Prince, “Hypoglycaemic effect of water extracts of Aegle marmelos fruits in streptozotocin diabetic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 87, no. 2-3, pp. 207–210, 2003.
- B. P. Tabaei, A. S. Al-Kassab, L. L. Ilag, C. M. Zawacki, and W. H. Herman, “Does microalbuminuria predict diabetic nephropathy?” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1560–1566, 2001.
- A. Mosca, R. Paleari, F. Ceriotti et al., “Biological variability of albumin excretion rate and albumin-to-cretinine ratio in hypertensive type 2 diabetic patients,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 1229–1233, 2003.
- V. Bhavapriya, S. Kalpana, S. Govindasamy, and T. Apparanantham, “Biochemical studies on hypoglycemic effect of Aavirai Kudineer: a herbal formulation in alloxan diabetic rats,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 925–928, 2001.
- P. B. Grindley, F. O. Omoruyi, H. N. Asemota, and E. Y. S. A. Morrison, “Effect of yam (Dioscorea cayenensis) and dasheen (Colocassia esculenta) extracts on the kidney of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 429–433, 2001.
- W. C. Dornas, T. T. Oliveira, R. G. R. Dores, et al., “Efeitos antidiabéticos de plantas medicinais,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmacy, vol. 19, pp. 488–500, 2009.
- P. Bwititi, C. T. Musabayane, and C. F. B. Nhachi, “Effects of Opuntia megacantha on blood glucose and kidney function in streptozotocin diabetic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 247–252, 2000.
- G. S. Travlos, R. W. Morris, M. R. Elwell, A. Duke, S. Rosenblum, and M. B. Thompson, “Frequency and relationships of clinical chemistry and liver and kidney histopathology findings in 13-week toxicity studies in rats,” Toxicology, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 17–29, 1996.
- M. T. Pepato, J. R. Oliveira, I. C. Kettelhut, and R. H. Migliorini, “Assessment of the antidiabetic activity of Myrcia uniflora extracts in streptozotocin diabetic rats,” Diabetes Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 49–57, 1993.
- M. Orellana, N. Avalos, M. Abarca, and E. Valdés, “Microsomal and peroxisomal fatty acid oxidation in bile duct ligated rats: a comparative study between liver and kidney,” General Pharmacology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 525–529, 1997.
- C. J. Packard, “Triacylglycerol-rich lipoproteins and the generation of small, dense low-density lipoprotein,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1066–1069, 2003.
- M. Benwahhoud, H. Jouad, M. Eddouks, and B. Lyoussi, “Hypoglycemic effect of Suaeda fruticosa in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 35–38, 2001.
- H. Jouad, M. Eddouks, M. A. Lacaille-Dubois, and B. Lyoussi, “Hypoglycaemic effect of Spergularia purpurea in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 71, no. 1-2, pp. 169–177, 2000.
- M. J. Aybar, A. N. Sánchez Riera, A. Grau, and S. S. Sánchez, “Hypoglycemic effect of the water extract of Smallantus sonchifolius (yacon) leaves in normal and diabetic rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 2001.
- K. L. Joy and R. Kuttan, “Anti-diabetic activity of Picrorrhiza kurroa extract,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 143–148, 1999.
- G. J. McDougall, F. Shpiro, P. Dobson, P. Smith, A. Blake, and D. Stewart, “Different polyphenolic components of soft fruits inhibit α-amylase and α-glycosidase,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 2760–2766, 2005.
- R. Roman-Ramos, J. L. Flores-Saenz, and F. J. Alarcon-Aguilar, “Anti-hyperglycemic effect of some edible plants,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 1995.