- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 231874, 10 pages
Oyaksungisan, a Traditional Herbal Formula, Inhibits Cell Proliferation by Induction of Autophagy via JNK Activation in Human Colon Cancer Cells
1Korean Medicine- (KM-)Based Herbal Drug Research Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine (KIOM), Daejeon 305-811, Republic of Korea
2Division of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Department of Biomaterials Engineering, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon 200-701, Republic of Korea
Received 19 September 2012; Revised 8 January 2013; Accepted 21 January 2013
Academic Editor: Francesca Borrelli
Copyright © 2013 Nam-Hui Yim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. H. Baehrecke, “Autophagy: dual roles in life and death?” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 505–510, 2005.
- D. J. Klionsky and S. D. Emr, “Autophagy as a regulated pathway of cellular degradation,” Science, vol. 290, no. 5497, pp. 1717–1721, 2000.
- B. Levine and D. J. Klionsky, “Development by self-digestion: molecular mechanisms and biological functions of autophagy,” Developmental Cell, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 463–477, 2004.
- T. Shintani and D. J. Klionsky, “Autophagy in health and disease: a double-edged sword,” Science, vol. 306, no. 5698, pp. 990–995, 2004.
- K. Sato, K. Tsuchihara, S. Fujii et al., “Autophagy is activated in colorectal cancer cells and contributes to the tolerance to nutrient deprivation,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 20, pp. 9677–9684, 2007.
- Y. Kondo, T. Kanzawa, R. Sawaya, and S. Kondo, “The role of autophagy in cancer development and response to therapy,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 726–734, 2005.
- J. L. Watson, R. Hill, P. W. Lee, C. A. Giacomantonio, and D. W. Hoskin, “Curcumin induces apoptosis in HCT-116 human colon cancer cells in a p21-independent manner,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 230–233, 2008.
- H. J. Lee, E. O. Lee, Y. H. Rhee et al., “An oriental herbal cocktail, ka-mi-kae-kyuk-tang, exerts anti-cancer activities by targeting angiogenesis, apoptosis and metastasis,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 2455–2463, 2006.
- S. Huerta, J. R. Arteaga, R. W. Irwin, T. Ikezoe, D. Heber, and H. P. Koeffler, “PC-SPES inhibits colon cancer growth in vitro and in vivo,” Cancer Research, vol. 62, no. 18, pp. 5204–5209, 2002.
- Z. Zhang, Y. Wang, R. Yao et al., “Cancer chemopreventive activity of a mixture of Chinese herbs (antitumor B) in mouse lung tumor models,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 21, pp. 3841–3850, 2004.
- M. A. Richardson and S. E. Straus, “Complementary and alternative medicine: opportunities and challenges for cancer management and research,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 531–545, 2002.
- A. Vickers, “Botanical medicines for the treatment of cancer: rationale, overview of current data, and methodological considerations for Phase I and II trials,” Cancer Investigation, vol. 20, no. 7-8, pp. 1069–1079, 2002.
- Y. W. Duan, Y. Huang, L. Q. Cai, Q. Duan, and Y. S. Zhu, “Inhibition of tumor growth and tumor metastasis by a Chinese herbal formula—ZYD88, in an animal model with metastatic Lewis lung carcinoma,” Oncology Reports, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1391–1397, 2007.
- J. S. Chia, J. L. Du, W. B. Hsu, A. Sun, C. B. Chiang, and W. B. Wang, “Inhibition of metastasis, angiogenesis, and tumor growth by Chinese herbal cocktail Tien-Hsien Liquid,” BMC Cancer, vol. 10, article 175, 2010.
- Y.-C. Oh, W.-K. Cho, J. H. Oh, G. Y. Im, Y. H. Jeong, and M. C. Yang, “Fermentation by Lactobacillus enhances anti-inflammatory effect of Oyaksungisan on LPS-stimulated RAW 264.7 mouse macrophage cells,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 12, article 17, 2012.
- J. B. Weon, J. Y. Ma, H. J. Yang, and C. J. Ma, “Neuroprotective activity of fermented Oyaksungisan,” Korean Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 22–26, 2011.
- J. J. Je, H. T. Shin, S. H. Chung et al., “Protective effects of Wuyaoshunqisan against H2O2-induced apoptosis on hippocampal cell line HiB5,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 561–570, 2002.
- S. E. Lee, S. I. Jeong, H. Yang et al., “Extract of Salvia miltiorrhiza (Danshen) induces Nrf2-mediated heme oxygenase-1 expression as a cytoprotective action in RAW 264.7 macrophages,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 541–548, 2012.
- Y. M. Li, Y. Ohno, S. Minatoguchi et al., “Extracts from the roots of Lindera strychifolia induces apoptosis in lung cancer cells and prolongs survival of tumor-bearing mice,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 857–869, 2003.
- K.-W. Luo, J.-G. Sun, J. Y.-W. Chan et al., “Anticancer effects of imperatorin isolated from Angelica dahurica: induction of apoptosis in HepG2 cells through both death-receptor- and mitochondria-mediated pathways,” Chemotherapy, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 449–459, 2012.
- K. Takara, S. Horibe, Y. Obata, E. Yoshikawa, N. Ohnishi, and T. Yokoyama, “Effects of 19 herbal extracts on the sensitivity to paclitaxel or 5-fluorouracil in HeLa cells,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 138–142, 2005.
- Y. Kabeya, N. Mizushima, T. Ueno et al., “LC3, a mammalian homologue of yeast Apg8p, is localized in autophagosome membranes after processing,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 19, no. 21, pp. 5720–5728, 2000.
- I. Tanida, N. Minematsu-Ikeguchi, T. Ueno, and E. Kominami, “Lysosomal turnover, but not a cellular level, of endogenous LC3 is a marker for autophagy,” Autophagy, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 84–91, 2005.
- N. H. Nam, C. W. Lee, D. H. Hong, H. M. Kim, K. H. Bae, and B. Z. Ahn, “Antiinvasive, antiangiogenic and antitumour activity of Ephedra sinica extract,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 2003.
- A. J. Meijer and P. Codogno, “Signalling and autophagy regulation in health, aging and disease,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 27, no. 5-6, pp. 411–425, 2006.
- A. Petiot, E. Ogier-Denis, E. F. C. Blommaart, A. J. Meijer, and P. Codogno, “Distinct classes of phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinases are involved in signaling pa7thways that control macroautophagy in HT-29 cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 2, pp. 992–998, 2000.
- Y. T. Wu, H. L. Tan, G. Shui et al., “Dual role of 3-methyladenine in modulation of autophagy via different temporal patterns of inhibition on class I and III phosphoinositide 3-kinase,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 14, pp. 10850–10861, 2010.
- L. O. Murphy and J. Blenis, “MAPK signal specificity: the right place at the right time,” Trends in Biochemical Sciences, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 268–275, 2006.
- E. F. Wagner and A. R. Nebreda, “Signal integration by JNK and p38 MAPK pathways in cancer development,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 537–549, 2009.
- Q. Cui, S. I. Tashiro, S. Onodera, M. Minami, and T. Ikejima, “Autophagy preceded apoptosis in oridonin-treated human breast cancer MCF-7 cells,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 859–864, 2007.
- G. Tang, Z. Yue, Z. Talloczy et al., “Autophagy induced by Alexander disease-mutant GFAP accumulation is regulated by p38/MAPK and mTOR signaling pathways,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1540–1555, 2008.
- K. Hamamura, M. B. Goldring, and H. Yokota, “Involvement of p38 MAPK in regulation of MMP13 mRNA in chondrocytes in response to surviving stress to endoplasmic reticulum,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 279–286, 2009.
- X. H. Liang, S. Jackson, M. Seaman et al., “Induction of autophagy and inhibition of tumorigenesis by beclin 1,” Nature, vol. 402, no. 6762, pp. 672–676, 1999.
- M. H. Han, W. S. Lee, J. N. Lu et al., “Tetraarsenic hexoxide induces Beclin-1-induced autophagic cell death as well as caspase-dependent apoptosis in U937 human leukemic cells,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 201414, 11 pages, 2012.