- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 254017, 5 pages
Topical Treatment of Nonhealing Venous Leg Ulcer with Propolis Ointment
1Department of Descriptive and Topographic Anatomy, Medical University of Silesia, ul. Jordana 19, 41-808 Zabrze, Poland
2Outpatient Surgery Center no. 2, Specialist Hospital no. 2, ul. Batorego 15, 41-902 Bytom, Poland
35th Military Hospital, ul. Wrocławska 1-3, 30-901 Cracow, Poland
4Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Medical University of Silesia, ul. Ziołowa 45/47, 40-635 Katowice, Poland
Received 7 January 2013; Accepted 26 February 2013
Academic Editor: Wojciech Krol
Copyright © 2013 M. Kucharzewski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. R. Baker, M. C. Stacey, A. G. Jopp-McKay, S. E. Hoskin, and P. J. Thompson, “Epidemiology of chronic venous ulcers,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 78, no. 7, pp. 864–867, 1991.
- M. Kucharzewski, A. Slezak, and A. Franek, “Topical treatment of non—healing venous leg ulcers by cellulose membrane,” Phlebologie, vol. 32, pp. 147–151, 2003.
- N. Cullum, E. A. Nelson, K. Fleming, et al., “Systematic reviews of wound care management,” Health Technology Assessment, vol. 5, pp. 1–227, 2001.
- E. A. Nelson, “Venous leg ulcer,” BMJ Clinical Evidence, vol. 12, pp. 1902–2011, 2011.
- G. A. Burdock, “Review of the biological properties and toxicity of bee propolis (propolis),” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 347–363, 1998.
- A. F. Ramos and J. L. Miranda, “Propolis: a review of its anti-inflammatory and healing actions,” Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins including Tropical Diseases, vol. 13, pp. 697–710, 2007.
- V. Bankova, “Recent trends and important developments in propolis research,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 29–32, 2005.
- E. M. Khorasgani, A. M. Karimi, and M. R. Nazem, “A comparison of healing effects of propolis and silver sulfadiazine on full thickness skin wounds in rats,” Pakistan Veterinary Journal, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 72–74, 2010.
- M. C. Han, A. S. Durmus, E. Karabulut, and I. Yaman, “Effects of Turkish propolis and silver sulfadiazine on burn wound healing in rats,” Revue de Medecine Veterinaire, vol. 156, no. 12, pp. 624–627, 2005.
- M. H. Barbosa, F. B. Zuffi, H. B. Maruxo, and L. L. R. Jorge, “Therapeutic properties of propolis for treatment of skin lesions,” ACTA Paulista de Enfermagem, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 318–322, 2009.
- A. A. Adewumi and A. A. Ogunjinmi, “The healing potential of honey and propolis lotion on septic wounds,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, vol. 1, supplement, pp. 555–557, 2011.
- S. Iyyam Pillai, P. Palsamy, S. Subramanian, and M. Kandaswamy, “Wound healing properties of Indian propolis studied on excision wound-induced rats,” Pharmaceutical Biology, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 1198–1206, 2010.
- M. Lotfy, G. Badra, W. Burham, and F. Q. Alenzi, “Combined use of honey, bee propolis and myrrh in healing a deep, infected wound in a patient with diabetes mellitus,” British Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 171–173, 2006.
- K. Olczyk, K. Komosińska-Vassev, K. Winsz-Szczotka, et al., “Propolis modulates vintronectin, laminie, and heparan sulfate/heparin expression during experimental burn healing,” Journals of Zhejiang University-Science B, vol. 13, pp. 932–941, 2012.
- V. F. Kurson, “Use of propolis treatment of trophic ulcer,” Vestn Dermatol Venerol, vol. 11, pp. 46–48, 1983.
- W. F. Morels and J. L. Garbarino, “Clinical evaluation of a new hypoallergic formula of propolis in dressing,” in Bee Products. Properties, Application and Apitherapy, A. Mizuaki and Y. Lenski, Eds., pp. 1001–1105, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- E. O. Brizzio, W. Blättler, and G. Rossi, “Healing venous ulcers with different modalities of leg compression: unexpected findings of a pilot study,” Phlebologie, vol. 35, pp. 349–355, 2006.
- P. H. Carpentier, H. R. Maricq, C. Biro, et al., “Prevalence, risk factors, and clinical patterns of chronic venous disorders of lower limbs: a population based study in France,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 40, pp. 650–659, 2004.