- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 269161, 9 pages
In Vitro Antibacterial Activity of Essential Oils against Streptococcus pyogenes
1PRES LUNAM, Université d'Angers, Laboratoire de Bactériologie-Virologie, UFR Sciences Pharmaceutiques et Ingénierie de la Santé, 16 boulevard Daviers, 49045 Angers, Cedex 01, France
2PRES LUNAM, Université d'Angers, SFR ICAT 4208, EA 3142 GEIHP, 16 boulevard Daviers, 49045 Angers, Cedex 01, France
3S.A. PRANAROM International, 37 Avenue des Artisans, 7822 Ghislenghien, Belgium
4PRES LUNAM, Université d'Angers, SFR QUASAV 4207, EA 921 SONAS, UFR Sciences Pharmaceutiques et Ingénierie de la Santé, 16 boulevard Daviers, 49045 Angers, Cedex 01, France
Received 23 November 2012; Revised 7 March 2013; Accepted 15 March 2013
Academic Editor: Zhaoxiang Bian
Copyright © 2013 Julien Sfeir et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Chiappini, M. Regoli, F. Bonsignori et al., “Analysis of different recommendations from international guidelines for the management of acute pharyngitis in adults and children,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 48–58, 2011.
- I. Brook, “Overcoming penicillin failures in the treatment of Group A streptococcal pharyngo-tonsillitis,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 1501–1508, 2007.
- S. M. Kuhn, J. Preiksaitis, G. J. Tyrrell, T. Jadavji, D. Church, and H. D. Davies, “Evaluation of potential factors contributing to microbiological treatment failure in Streptococcus pyogenes pharyngitis,” Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 2001.
- I. Brook and A. E. Gober, “Failure to eradicate streptococci and beta-lactamase producing bacteria,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 193–195, 2008.
- C. Durrafourd, J. C. Lapraz, and J. Reynier, Traité de phytothérapie clinique: endobiogénie et médecine, Masson, Paris, France, 2002.
- P. Franchomme, R. Jollois, and D. Pénoël, L'aromathérapie exactement, Roger Jollois, Limoges, France, 2001.
- P. Courvallin, R. Leclerq, and E. Bingen, Antibiogramme, ESKA, Paris, France, 2006.
- M. E. Levison, “Pharmacodynamics of antimicrobial drugs,” Infectious Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 451–465, 2004.
- S. Inouye, T. Takizawa, and H. Yamaguchi, “Antibacterial activity of essential oils and their major constituents against respiratory tract pathogens by gaseous contact,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 565–573, 2001.
- S. Inouye, H. Yamaguchi, and T. Takizawa, “Screening of the antibacterial effects of a variety of essential oils on respiratory tract pathogens, using a modified dilution assay method,” Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 251–254, 2001.
- A. Fabio, C. Cermelli, G. Fabio, P. Nicoletti, and P. Quaglio, “Screening of the antibacterial effects of a variety of essential oils on microorganisms responsible for respiratory infections,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 374–377, 2007.
- L. Mayaud, A. Carricajo, A. Zhiri, and G. Aubert, “Comparison of bacteriostatic and bactericidal activity of 13 essential oils against strains with varying sensitivity to antibiotics,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 167–173, 2008.
- A. Alexopoulos, A. C. Kimbaris, S. Plessas, et al., “Antibacterial activities of essential oils from eight Greek aromatic plants against clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus,” Anaerobe, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 399–402, 2011.
- J. Bruneton, Pharmacognosie—Phytochimie—Plantes médicinales, Tec & Doc, Paris, France, 2009.
- G. A. Pankey and L. D. Sabath, “Clinical relevance of bacteriostatic versus bactericidal mechanisms of action in the treatment of gram-positive bacterial infections,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 864–870, 2004.
- C. Kohlert, G. Schindler, R. W. März et al., “Systemic availability and pharmacokinetics of thymol in humans,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 731–737, 2002.
- K. A. Robinson, G. Rothrock, Q. Phan et al., “Risk for severe group A streptococcal disease among patients' household contacts,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 443–447, 2003.
- P. Bidet, C. Plainvert, C. Doit et al., “Streptococcus pyogenes or group A streptococcal infections in child: French national reference center data,” Archives de Pediatrie, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 201–208, 2010.
- I. Brook, “The role of beta-lactamase-producing bacteria in the persistence of streptococcal tonsillar infection,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 601–607, 1984.
- M. Fadli, A. Saad, S. Sayadi, et al., “Antibacterial activity of Thymus maroccanus and Thymus broussonetii essential oils against nosocomial infection—bacteria and their synergistic potential with antibiotics,” Phytomedicine, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 464–471, 2012.
- B. Shan, Y. Z. Cai, J. D. Brooks, and H. Corke, “Antibacterial properties and major bioactive components of cinnamon stick (Cinnamomum burmannii): activity against foodborne pathogenic bacteria,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 14, pp. 5484–5490, 2007.
- S. Bouhdid, J. Abrini, M. Amensour, A. Zhiri, M. J. Espuny, and A. Manresa, “Functional and ultrastructural changes in Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus cells induced by Cinnamomum verum essential oil,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 1139–1149, 2010.
- M. Cristani, M. D'Arrigo, G. Mandalari et al., “Interaction of four monoterpenes contained in essential oils with model membranes: implications for their antibacterial activity,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 15, pp. 6300–6308, 2007.
- A. La Storia, D. Ercolini, F. Marinello, R. Di Pasqua, F. Villani, and G. Mauriello, “Atomic force microscopy analysis shows surface structure changes in carvacrol-treated bacterial cells,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 162, no. 2, pp. 164–172, 2011.
- D. Kalemba and A. Kunicka, “Antibacterial and antifungal properties of essential oils,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 813–829, 2003.