- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 272134, 7 pages
Antiulcer Activity of Indigenous Plant Operculina turpethum Linn.
1Department of Pharmacology, Sathyabama University Dental College and Hospital, Sathyabama University, Jeppiaar Nagar, Rajiv Gandhi Road, Chennai, Tamilnadu 600 119, India
2Department of Pharmacology and Environmental Toxicology, Dr. ALM Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Science, University of Madras, Taramani Campus, Chennai, Tamilnadu 600 113, India
Received 26 July 2012; Revised 19 December 2012; Accepted 21 December 2012
Academic Editor: José Luis Ríos
Copyright © 2013 Vidya Ignatius et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Umamaheswari, K. Asokkumar, R. Rathidevi, A. T. Sivashanmugam, V. Subhadradevi, and T. K. Ravi, “Antiulcer and in vitro antioxidant activities of Jasminum grandiflorum L,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 464–470, 2007.
- C. A. Hiruma-Lima, T. R. Calvo, C. M. Rodrigues, F. D. P. Andrade, W. Vilegas, and A. R. M. S. Brito, “Antiulcerogenic activity of Alchornea castaneaefolia: effects on somatostatin, gastrin and prostaglandin,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 104, no. 1-2, pp. 215–224, 2006.
- J. R. Santin, M. Lemos, L. C. K. Júnior, R. Niero, and S. F. de Andrade, “Antiulcer effects of Achyrocline satureoides (Lam.) DC (Asteraceae) (Marcela), a folk medicine plant, in different experimental models,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 334–339, 2010.
- R. Govindarajan, M. Vijayakumar, and P. Pushpangadan, “Antioxidant approach to disease management and the role of “Rasayana” herbs of Ayurveda,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 165–178, 2005.
- K. A. Kirtikar and B. A. Basu, Indian Medicinal Plants, vol. 8, Periodical Expert’s Book Agency, New Delhi, India, 2nd edition, 2000.
- D. F. Austin, “Operculina turpethum (Convolvulaceae) as a medicinal plant in Asia,” Economic Botany, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 265–2269, 1982.
- K. Ragunathan and R. Mitra, Pharmacognosy of Indian Drugs, Central Council for Research in Ayurveda and Siddha, New Delhi, India, 1982.
- C. Asima and P. S. Chandra, The Treatise on Indian Medicinal Plants, vol. 4, Publication and Information Directorate, New Delhi, India, 1995.
- S. Jahan, N. Sujatha, and Neelam, “Role of Uttara Vasti with Trivrit and Lasuna oil in the management of primary dysmenorrhea,” Ayu, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 228–2231, 2010.
- S. Jain and V. K. Saxena, “Nonsaponifiable matter from the stem Operculina turpethum,” Acta Cienc Indica Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 171–1172, 1987.
- R. P. Rastogi and B. N. Mehrotra, Compendium of Indian Medicinal Plants, vol. 2, CDRI Lucknow & NSIC, New Delhi, India, 1979.
- T. Schimming, K. Jenett-Siems, P. Mann et al., “Calystegines as chemotaxonomic markers in the Convolvulaceae,” Phytochemistry, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 469–480, 2005.
- C. Anbuselvam, K. Vijayavel, and M. P. Balasubramanian, “Protective effect of Operculina turpethum against 7,12-dimethyl benz(a)anthracene induced oxidative stress with reference to breast cancer in experimental rats,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 168, no. 3, pp. 229–236, 2007.
- M. J. Alam, I. Alam, S. A. Sharmin, M. M. Rahman, M. Anisuzzaman, and M. F. Alam, “Micropropagation and antimicrobial activity of Operculina turpethum (syn. Ipomoea turpethum), an endangered medicinal plant,” Plant OMICS, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 40–46, 2010.
- P. Shankaraiah, R. C. Srinivasa, and P. Ravindra Babu, “Comparative antidiabetic activity of induced diabetic rats,” International Current Pharmaceutical Journal, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 272–2278, 2012.
- A. K. Khare, M. C. Srinivastava, J. P. Tewari, J. N. Puri, and S. Singh, “A preliminary study of anti-inflammatory activity of Ipomoea turpethum (Nisoth),” Indian Drugs, vol. 19, pp. 224–2226, 1982.
- S. Suresh Kumar, C. Sujatha, J. Syamala, B. Nagasudha, and S. Mishra, “Protective effect of root extract of Operculina turpethum Linn. against paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in rats,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 32–35, 2006.
- R. Ahmad, S. Ahmed, N. U. Khan, and A. U. Hasnain, “Operculina turpethum attenuates N-nitrosodimethylamine induced toxic liver injury and clastogenicity in rats,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 181, no. 2, pp. 145–153, 2009.
- R. K. Goel, S. Gupta, R. Shankar, and A. K. Sanyal, “Anti-ulcerogenic effect of banana powder (Musa sapientum var. paradisiaca) and its effect on mucosal resistance,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 33–44, 1986.
- H. Shay, S. A. Komarov, S. S. Fels, D. Meranze, M. Gruenstein, and H. Siplet, “A simple method for the uniform production of gastric ulceration,” Gastroenterology, vol. 5, pp. 43–461, 1945.
- H. Shay, D. C. Sun, and M. Gruenstein, “A quantitative method for measuring spontaneous gastric secretion in the rat,” Gastroenterology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 906–913, 1954.
- S. Szabo, J. S. Trier, and A. Brown, “A quantitative method for assessing the extent of experimental gastric erosions and ulcers,” Journal of Pharmacological Methods, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 1985.
- F. J. Miñano, J. Serrano, J. Pascual, and M. Sancibrián, “Effects of GABA on gastric acid secretion and ulcer formation in rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 41, no. 13, pp. 1651–1658, 1987.
- J. E. McGuigan, “Peptic ulcer and gastritis,” in Harrisons Principles of Internal Medicine, J. D. Wilson, E. Braunwald, K. J. Isselbacher et al., Eds., p. 1229, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 12th edition, 1991.
- R. K. Goel and S. K. Bhattacharya, “Gastroduodenal mucosal defence and mucosal protective agents,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 701–714, 1991.
- R. S. Deoda, D. Kumar, and S. S. Bhujbal, “Gastroprotective effect of Rubia cordifolia linn. on aspirin plus pylorus-ligated ulcer,” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 541624, 5 pages, 2011.
- P. B. Hawk, Hawk's Physiological Chemistry, Edited by B. L. Oster, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 14th edition, 1965.
- Y. Qian, J. M. Si, J. G. Wu et al., “Effect of mucosal protective on the quality of gastric ulcer healing,” Journal of Zhejiang University, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 71–77, 2007.
- B. E. Lukie and G. G. Forstner, “Synthesis of intestinal clycoproteins inhibition of [1-14C]glucosamine incorporation by sodium salicylate in vitro,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 273, no. 2, pp. 380–388, 1972.
- N. Vasudeva, P. Sethi, S. K. Sharma, S. Kumar, and S. Sharma, “Antiulcer potential of the ethanolic extract of Aerva persica Merrill root in rats,” Journal of Acupuncture Meridian Studies, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 80–86, 2012.
- E. Sanmugapriya and S. Venkataraman, “Antiulcerogenic potential of Strychnos potatorum Linn seeds on Aspirin plus pyloric ligation-induced ulcers in experimental rats,” Phytomedicine, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 360–365, 2007.
- A. H. M. Thippeswamy, M. Sajjan, M. B. Palkar, B. C. Koti, and A. H. M. Viswanathaswamy, “Comparative study of proton pump inhibitors on dexamethasone plus pylorus ligation induced ulcer model in rats,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 367–371, 2010.
- S. Jaikumar, S. Ramaswamy, B. R. Asokan, T. Mohan, and M. Gnanavel, “Anti ulcer activity of methanolic extract of Jatropha curcas (Linn.) on Aspirin-induced gastric lesions in wistar strain rats,” Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 886–897, 2010.
- P. Singh and D. Guha, “Aegle marmelos enhances gastric mucosal protection: relevance for NSAIDS-induced gastric mucosal injury,” Al Ameen Journal of Medical Science, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 243–2255, 2012.
- A. K. Sanyal, P. K. Mitra, and R. K. Goel, “A modified method to estimate dissolved mucosubstances in gastric juice,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 78–80, 1983.
- R. K. Goel, M. Chakravarty, W. Rahamatalla Abbas, K. P. Singh, and S. K. Bhattacharya, “Effect of piracetam, a nootropic agent, on experimental gastric ulcers in rat,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 337–340, 1990.
- M. G. Repetto and S. F. Llesuy, “Antioxidant properties of natural compounds used in popular medicine for gastric ulcers,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 523–534, 2002.
- M. O. Sofidiya, L. Agufobi, A. J. Akindele, J. A. Olowe, and O. B. Familoni, “Effect of Flabellaria paniculata Cav. extracts on gastric ulcer in rats,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 12, p. 168, 2012.
- J. K. Adesanwo, O. Ekundayo, F. S. Oluwole, O. A. Olajide, A. J. J. Van Den Berge, and J. A. Findlay, “The effect of Tetracera potatoria and its constituent betulinic acid on gastric acid secretion and experimentally-induced gastric ulceration,” Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences, vol. 18, no. 1-2, pp. 21–26, 2003.
- F. S. Oluwole, J. A. Ayo, B. O. Omolaso, B. O. Emikpe, and J. K. Adesanwo, “Methanolic extract of Tetracera potatoria, an antiulcer agent increases gastric mucus secretion and endogenous antioxidants,” Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences, vol. 23, no. 1-2, pp. 79–83, 2008.
- C. Onwuchekwa and F. S. Oluwole, “Anti-gastric ulcer and Anti-inflammatory properties of betulinic acid in male albino rats,” Science World Journal, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 15–117, 2010.
- D. Palanimuthu, N. Baskaran, S. Silvan, D. Rajasekaran, and S. Manoharan, “Lupeol, a bioactive triterpene, prevents tumor formation during 7, 12-dimethylbenz (a) anthracene induced oral carcinogenesis,” Pathology and Oncology Research, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 1029–1037, 2012.
- A. Kumari and P. Kakkar, “Lupeol protects against acetaminophen-induced oxidative stress and cell death in rat primary hepatocytes,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1781–11789, 2012.
- M. M. Malini, M. Lenin, and P. Varalakshmi, “Protective effect of triterpenes on calcium oxalate crystal-induced peroxidative changes in experimental urolithiasis,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 413–418, 2000.
- S. S. Sakat, P. Tupe, and A. Juvekar, “Gastroprotective effect of Oxalis corniculata (whole plant) on experimentally induced gastric ulceration in wistar rats,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 48–53, 2012.
- V. C. Devaraj and B. G. Krishna, “Gastric antisecretory and cytoprotective effects of leaf extracts of Amaranthus tricolor Linn. in rats,” Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1031–11038, 2011.