- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 278405, 13 pages
Vitexicarpin Acts as a Novel Angiogenesis Inhibitor and Its Target Network
1MOE Key Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Bioinformatics Division, TNLIST, Department of Automation, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
2Joint Computational Center of Drug Discovery, Tianjin International Joint Academy of Biotechnology & Medicine, Tianjin 300457, China
Received 22 October 2012; Accepted 20 November 2012
Academic Editor: Weidong Zhang
Copyright © 2013 Bo Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. K. Jain, “Normalizing tumor vasculature with anti-angiogenic therapy: a new paradigm for combination therapy,” Nature Medicine, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 987–989, 2001.
- P. Carmeliet, “Angiogenesis in life, disease and medicine,” Nature, vol. 438, no. 7070, pp. 932–936, 2005.
- S. Wang, Z. Zheng, Y. Weng et al., “Angiogenesis and anti-angiogenesis activity of Chinese medicinal herbal extracts,” Life Sciences, vol. 74, no. 20, pp. 2467–2478, 2004.
- T. P. Fan, J. C. Yeh, K. W. Leung, P. Y. K. Yue, and R. N. S. Wong, “Angiogenesis: from plants to blood vessels,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 297–309, 2006.
- M. Mochizuki, Yung Choon Yoo, K. Matsuzawa et al., “Inhibitory effect of tumor metastasis in mice by saponins, ginsenoside- Rb2, 20(R)- and 20(S)-ginsenoside-Rg3, of Red ginseng,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1197–1202, 1995.
- M. W. Chen, L. Yang, L. Ni, and C. Huang, “The effects of 20(R)-Rg3 on lung carcinoma A549 cell line and endogenous VEGF secreted by tumor cells,” Journal of Sichuan University, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 60–62, 2006.
- K. B. Hu, Z. H. Liu, D. Liu, and L. S. Li, “Inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor expression and production by triptolide,” Planta Medica, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 368–369, 2002.
- B. Wang, L. Ma, X. Tao, and P. E. Lipsky, “Triptolide, an active component of the Chinese herbal remedy Tripterygium wilfordii Hook F, inhibits production of nitric oxide by decreasing inducible nitric oxide synthase gene transcription,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 2995–3003, 2004.
- S. Li, A. P. Lu, Y. Y. Wang, and Y. D. Li, “Suppressive effects of a Chinese herbal medicine Qing-Luo-Yin extract on the angiogenesis of collagen-induced arthritis in rats,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 713–720, 2003.
- T. W. Kok, P. Y. K. Yue, N. K. Mak, T. P. D. Fan, L. Liu, and R. N. S. Wong, “The anti-angiogenic effect of sinomenine,” Angiogenesis, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 3–12, 2005.
- S. Li, B. Zhang, and N. Zhang, “Network target for screening synergistic drug combinations with application to traditional Chinese medicine,” BMC Systems Biology, vol. 5, supplement 1, article S10, 2011.
- D. X. Hou and T. Kumamoto, “Flavonoids as protein kinase inhibitors for cancer chemoprevention: direct binding and molecular modeling,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 691–719, 2010.
- F. Díaz, D. Chávez, D. Lee et al., “Cytotoxic flavone analogues of vitexicarpin, a constituent of the leaves of Vitex negundo,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 865–867, 2003.
- J. Kobayakawa, F. Sato-Nishimori, M. Moriyasu, and Y. Matsukawa, “G2-M arrest and antimitotic activity mediated by casticin, a flavonoid isolated from Viticis Fructus (Vitex rotundifolia Linne fil.),” Cancer Letters, vol. 208, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 2004.
- K. M. You, K. H. Son, H. W. Chang, S. S. Kang, and H. P. Kim, “Vitexicarpin, a flavonoid from the fruits of Vitex rotundifolia, inhibits mouse lymphocyte proliferation and growth of cell lines in vitro,” Planta Medica, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 546–550, 1998.
- S. M. Lee, Y. J. Lee, Y. C. Kim, J. S. Kim, D. G. Kang, and H. S. Lee, “Vascular Protective Role of Vitexicarpin Isolated from Vitex rotundifolia in Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells,” Inflammation, vol. 35, pp. 584–593, 2011.
- S. Li, B. Zhang, D. Jiang, Y. Wei, and N. Zhang, “Herb network construction and co-module analysis for uncovering the combination rule of traditional Chinese herbal formulae,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 11, supplement 11, article S6, 2010.
- I. Paterson and E. A. Anderson, “The renaissance of natural products as drug candidates,” Science, vol. 310, no. 5747, pp. 451–453, 2005.
- A. L. Hopkins, “Network pharmacology: the next paradigm in drug discovery,” Nature Chemical Biology, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 682–690, 2008.
- J. van der Greef and R. N. McBurney, “Rescuing drug discovery: in vivo systems pathology and systems pharmacology,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 961–967, 2005.
- S. I. Berger, A. Ma'ayan, and R. Iyengar, “Systems pharmacology of arrhythmias,” Science Signaling, vol. 3, no. 118, p. ra30, 2010.
- T. R. Burkard, U. Rix, F. P. Breitwieser, G. Superti-Furga, and J. Colinge, “A computational approach to analyze the mechanism of action of the kinase inhibitor bafetinib,” PLoS Computational Biology, vol. 6, no. 11, Article ID e1001001, 2010.
- X. Wu, R. Jiang, M. Q. Zhang, and S. Li, “Network-based global inference of human disease genes,” Molecular Systems Biology, vol. 4, pp. 189–199, 2008.
- A. L. Barabási, N. Gulbahce, and J. Loscalzo, “Network medicine: a network-based approach to human disease,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 56–68, 2011.
- S. Li, “Framework and practice of network-based studies for Chinese herbal formula,” Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 489–493, 2007.
- S. Li, “Network systems underlying traditional Chinese medicine syndrome and herb formula,” Current Bioinformatics, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 188–196, 2009.
- J. Zhao, P. Jiang, and W. Zhang, “Molecular networks for the study of TCM pharmacology,” Briefings in Bioinformatics, vol. 11, no. 4, Article ID bbp063, pp. 417–430, 2009.
- S. Li, “Network target: a starting point for traditional Chinese medicine network pharmacology,” Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi, vol. 36, pp. 2017–2020, 2011.
- S. Zhao and S. Li, “Network-based relating pharmacological and genomic spaces for drug target identification,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 7, Article ID e11764, 2010.
- F. A. Fierro, S. Kalomoiris, C. S. Sondergaard, and J. A. Nolta, “Effects on proliferation and differentiation of multipotent bone marrow stromal cells engineered to express growth factors for combined cell and gene therapy,” Stem Cells, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1727–1737, 2011.
- M. Richardson and G. Singh, “Observations on the use of the avian choriallantoic membrane (CAM) model in investigations into angiogenesis,” Current Drug Targets—Cardiovascular and Haematological Disorders, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 155–185, 2003.
- D. S. Wishart, C. Knox, A. C. Guo et al., “DrugBank: a knowledgebase for drugs, drug actions and drug targets,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. D901–D906, 2008.
- X. Q. Xie and J. Z. Chen, “Data mining a small molecule drug screening representative subset from NIH PubChem,” Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 465–475, 2008.
- T. S. Keshava Prasad, R. Goel, K. Kandasamy et al., “Human protein reference database—2009 update,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. D767–D772, 2009.
- G. D. Bader, D. Betel, and C. W. V. Hogue, “BIND: the biomolecular interaction network database,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 248–250, 2003.
- S. Kerrien, B. Aranda, L. Breuza et al., “The IntAct molecular interaction database in 2012,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 40, no. D1, pp. D841–D846, 2012.
- A. Ceol, A. Chatr Aryamontri, L. Licata et al., “MINT, the molecular interaction database: 2009 update,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 38, no. 1, Article ID gkp983, pp. D532–D539, 2009.
- K. R. Brown and I. Jurisica, “Online predicted human interaction database,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 2076–2082, 2005.
- D. W. Huang, B. T. Sherman, and R. A. Lempicki, “Systematic and integrative analysis of large gene lists using DAVID bioinformatics resources,” Nature Protocols, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 44–57, 2009.
- G. M. Morris, D. S. Goodsell, R. S. Halliday et al., “Automated docking using a Lamarckian genetic algorithm and an empirical binding free energy function,” Journal of Computational Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 14, pp. 1639–1662, 1998.
- J. C. Yeh, T. Cindrova-Davies, M. Belleri et al., “The natural compound n-butylidenephthalide derived from the volatile oil of Radix Angelica sinensis inhibits angiogenesis in vitro and in vivo,” Angiogenesis, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 187–197, 2011.
- E. Zamir and P. I. H. Bastiaens, “Reverse engineering intracellular biochemical networks,” Nature Chemical Biology, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 643–647, 2008.
- T. W. Corson and C. M. Crews, “Molecular understanding and modern application of traditional medicines: triumphs and trials,” Cell, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 769–774, 2007.
- U. Rix and G. Superti-Furga, “Target profiling of small molecules by chemical proteomics,” Nature Chemical Biology, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 616–624, 2009.
- S. A. Canny, Y. Cruz, M. R. Southern, and P. R. Griffin, “PubChem promiscuity: a web resource for gathering compound promiscuity data from PubChem,” Bioinformatics, vol. 28, no. 1, Article ID Article numberbtr622, pp. 140–141, 2012.
- K. W. Lee, A. M. Bode, and Z. Dong, “Molecular targets of phytochemicals for cancer prevention,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 211–218, 2011.
- F. Y. Tang and M. Meydani, “Green tea catechins and vitamin E inhibit angiogenesis of human microvascular endothelial cells through suppression of IL-8 production,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 41, no. 1-2, pp. 119–125, 2001.
- A. S. Chung and N. Ferrara, “Targeting the tumor microenvironment with Src kinase inhibition,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 775–777, 2010.
- G. J. Roboz, S. Dias, G. Lam et al., “Arsenic trioxide induces dose- and time-dependent apoptosis of endothelium and may exert an antileukemic effect via inhibition of angiogenesis,” Blood, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1525–1530, 2000.
- F. L. Minnear, M. A. A. DeMichele, D. G. Moon, C. L. Rieder, and J. W. Fenton, “Isoproterenol reduces thrombin-induced pulmonary endothelial permeability in vitro,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 257, no. 5, part 2, pp. H1613–H1623, 1989.
- D. L. Ou, Y. C. Shen, J. D. Liang et al., “Induction of Bim expression contributes to the antitumor synergy between sorafenib and mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase kinase inhibitor CI-1040 in hepatocellular carcinoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 15, no. 18, pp. 5820–5828, 2009.
- H. R. Pearce, N. Kalia, K. D. Bardhan, and N. J. Brown, “Effects of aspirin and indomethacin on endothelial cell proliferation in vitro,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1180–1187, 2003.
- R. Nussinov, C. J. Tsai, and P. Csermely, “Allo-network drugs: harnessing allostery in cellular networks,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 32, pp. 686–693, 2011.