- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 291592, 9 pages
Efficacy of Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour.) Spreng in a Murine Model of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Skin Abscesses
1Department of Clinical Analysis and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universidade Federal do Ceará (UFC), Rua Capitão Francisco Pedro 1210, 60430-370 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
2Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, UFC, Rua Capitão Francisco Pedro 1210, 60430-370 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
3Department of Pathology and Legal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, UFC, Rua Monsenhor Furtado S/N, 60430-350 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Received 17 September 2012; Accepted 17 January 2013
Academic Editor: Ulysses Paulino de Albuquerque
Copyright © 2013 Francisco Fábio Martins de Oliveira et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Rossi and D. B. AndreazzI, Resistência Bacteriana: Interpretando o Antibiograma, Atheneu, São Paulo, Brazil, 2005.
- M. Guzmán-Blanco, C. Mejía, R. Isturiz et al., “Epidemiology of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in Latin America,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 304–308, 2009.
- J. T. Weber, “Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. S269–S272, 2005.
- T. Ito, Y. Katayama, K. Asada et al., “Structural comparison of three types of staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec integrated in the chromosome in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 1323–1336, 2001.
- K. J. Kim, H. H. Yu, J. D. Cha, S. J. Seo, N. Y. Choi, and Y. O. You, “Antibacterial activity of Curcuma longa L. against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 599–604, 2005.
- M. Mahboubi and M. M. Feizabadi, “Antimicrobial activity of Ducrosia anethifolia essential oil and main component, decanal against methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus,” Journal of Essential Oil-Bearing Plants, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 574–579, 2009.
- R. K. Rajaretinam and S. G. P. Vincent, “Isolation of a novel bioactive compound from Rhizophora mucronata for methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and compound toxicity assessment in zebra fish embryos,” Journal of Pharmacy Research, vol. 3, pp. 200–203, 2010.
- C. M. Mattana, S. E. Satorres, A. Sosa, M. Fusco, and L. E. Alcaráz, “Antibacterial activity of extracts of Acacia aroma against methicillin-resistant and methicllin-sensitive Staphylococcus,” Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 581–587, 2010.
- M. Mahboubi and F. Ghazian Bidgoli, “Antistaphylococcal activity of Zataria multiflora essential oil and its synergy with vancomycin,” Phytomedicine, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 548–550, 2010.
- B. Dulger and M. A. Kilcik, “Antibacterial activity of Ballota acetabulosa against methicillin-resistant Stapylococcus aureus,” Asian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 416–418, 2011.
- W. Chingwaru, G. Duodu, Y. Van Zyl et al., “Antibacterial and anticandidal activity of Tylosema esculentum (marama) extracts,” South African Journal of Science, vol. 107, no. 3-4, pp. 79–89, 2011.
- C. W. Lukhoba, M. S. J. Simmonds, and A. J. Paton, “Plectranthus a review of ethnobotanical uses,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 1–24, 2006.
- J. C. R. Nogueira, M. F. M. Diniz, and E. Lima, “Atividade antimicrobiana in vitro de produtos vegetais em otite externa aguda,” Revista Brasileira de Otorrinolaringologia, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 118–124, 2008.
- A. P. A. D. Gurgel, J. G. da Silva, A. R. S. Grangeiro et al., “Antibacterial effects of Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour.) spreng (Lamiaceae) in methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA),” Latin American Journal of Pharmacy, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 460–464, 2009.
- T. B. Gonçalves, M. A. Braga, F. F. M. Oliveira, et al., “Effect of subinihibitory and inhibitory concentrations of Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour.) Spreng essential oil on Klebsiella pneumoniae,” Phytomedicine, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 962–968, 2012.
- A. P. A. D. Gurgel, J. G. da Silva, A. R. S. Grangeiro et al., “In vivo study of the anti-inflammatory and antitumor activities of leaves from Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour.) Spreng (Lamiaceae),” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 361–363, 2009.
- J. M. Chang, C. M. Cheng, L. M. Hung, Y. S. Chung, and R. Y. Wu, “Potential use of plectranthus amboinicus in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 115–120, 2010.
- Y. J. Chiu, T. H. Huang, C. S. Chiu, et al., “Analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of the aqueous extract from Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour.) Spreng both in vitro and in vivo,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 508137, 11 pages, 2012.
- Clinical and Laboratory Sandards Institute (CLSI), Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk Susceptibility Tests, vol. 29 of Approved standard M02-A10, CLSI, Wayne, Pa, USA, 10th edition, 2009.
- S. Rallapalli, S. Verghese, and R. Verma, “Validation of multiplex PCR strategy for simultaneous detection and identification of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 361–364, 2008.
- Clinical and Laboratory Sandards Institute (CLSI), Methods for Dilution Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria that Grow Aerobically, vol. 29 of Approved standard M07-A8, CLSI, Wayne, Pa, USA, 8th edition, 2009.
- F. C. Odds, “Synergy, antagonism, and what the chequerboard puts between them,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 52, no. 1, p. 1, 2003.
- B. Moulari, Y. Pellequer, H. Lboutounne et al., “Isolation and in vitro antibacterial activity of astilbin, the bioactive flavanone from the leaves of Harungana madagascariensis Lam. ex Poir. (Hypericaceae),” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 272–278, 2006.
- T. Mosmann, “Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 55–63, 1983.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Guideline for Testing of Chemicals: Acute Oral Toxicity-Acute Toxic Class Method, OEDC, Guideline, Paris, France, 2001.
- C. L. Bunce, L. Wheeler, G. Reed, J. Musser, and N. Barg, “Murine model of cutaneous infection with gram-positive cocci,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 2636–2640, 1992.
- K. A. Hazlewood, S. D. Brouse, W. D. Pitcher, and R. G. Hall, “Vancomycin-associated nephrotoxicity: grave concern or death by character assassination?” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 182–e1, 2010.
- S. I. Nwadioha, E. O. P. Nwokedi, E. Kashibu, M. S. Odimayo, and E. E. Okwori, “A review of bacterial isolates in blood cultures of children with suspected septicemia in a nigerian tertiary hospital,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 222–225, 2010.
- H. K. Tiwari and M. R. Sen, “Emergence of vancomycin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (VRSA) from a tertiary care hospital from northern part of India,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 6, p. 156, 2006.
- H.-X. Xu and S. F. Lee, “Activity of plant flavonoids against antibiotic-resistant bacteria,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 39–43, 2001.
- K. K. Hullatti and P. Bhattacharjee, “Pharmacognostical evaluation of different parts of Coleus amboinicus lour., Lamiaceae,” Pharmacognosy Journal, vol. 3, pp. 39–43, 2011.
- R. A. G. Oliveira, E. O. Lim, W. L. Vieira, et al., “Estudo da interferência de óleos essenciais sobre a atividade de alguns antibióticos usados na clínica,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 77–82, 2006.
- S. Shenoy, H. Kumar, Thashma, et al., “Hepatoprotective activity of Plectranthus amboinicus against paracetamol induced hepatotoxicity in rats,” International Journal of Pharmacology and Clinical Sciences, vol. 2, pp. 32–38, 2012.
- P. T. C. Paulo, M. F. F. M. Diniz, I. A. Medeiros, et al., “Ensaios clínicos toxicológicos, fase I, de um fitoterápico composto (Schinus terebinthifolius Raddi, Plectranthus amboinicus Lour e Eucalyptus globulus Labill),” Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 68–76, 2009.