- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 294381, 8 pages
Infectious Diseases Physicians’ Attitudes and Practices Related to Complementary and Integrative Medicine: Results of a National Survey
1Department of Medicine, University of Maryland, 29 South Greene Street, Suite 300, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
2Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
3Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Maryland, 520 W. Lombard Street, East Hall Room 204, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
4Osher Center for Integrative Medicine, University of California, 1545 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Received 8 May 2013; Accepted 18 June 2013
Academic Editor: Arndt Büssing
Copyright © 2013 Kalpana D. Shere-Wolfe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCAMM), “CAM basics: what is complementary and alternative medicine?” 2010, http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam.
- K. M. Fairfield, D. M. Eisenberg, R. B. Davis, H. Libman, and R. S. Phillips, “Patterns of use, expenditures, and perceived efficacy of complementary and alternative therapies in HIV-infected patients,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 158, no. 20, pp. 2257–2264, 1998.
- R. A. Littlewood and P. A. Vanable, “Complementary and alternative medicine use among HIV-positive people: research synthesis and implications for HIV care,” AIDS Care, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1002–1018, 2008.
- A. Sparber, J. C. Wootton, L. Bauer et al., “Use of complementary medicine by adult patients participating in HIV/AIDS clinical trials,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 415–422, 2000.
- L. J. Standish, K. B. Greene, S. Bain et al., “Alternative medicine use in HIV-positive men and women: demographics, utilization patterns and health status,” AIDS Care, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 197–208, 2001.
- N. Singh, C. Squier, C. Sivek, M. H. Nguyen, M. Wagener, and V. L. Yu, “Determinants of nontraditional therapy use in patients with HIV infection: a prospective study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 197–201, 1996.
- J. D. Berman, “Alternative medicines for infectious diseases,” in Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases, G. L. Mandell, J. E. Bennett, and R. Dolin, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 669–676, Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 7th edition, 2010.
- J. A. Astin, A. Marie, K. R. Pelletier, E. Hansen, and W. L. Haskell, “A review of the incorporation of complementary and alternative medicine by mainstream physicians,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 158, no. 21, pp. 2303–2310, 1998.
- E. Ernst, K.-L. Resch, and A. R. White, “Complementary medicine: what physicians think of it: a meta-analysis,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 155, no. 22, pp. 2405–2408, 1995.
- N. J. Manek, C. S. Crowson, A. L. Ottenberg, F. A. Curlin, T. J. Kaptchuk, and J. C. Tilburt, “What rheumatologists in the United States think of complementary and alternative medicine: results of a national survey,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 10, article 5, 2010.
- J. M. Rhode, D. A. Patel, A. Sen, V. L. Schimp, C. M. Johnston, and J. R. Liu, “Perception and use of complementary and alternative medicine among gynecologic oncology care providers,” International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 111–115, 2008.
- M. Roth, J. Lin, M. Kim, and K. Moody, “Pediatric oncologists' views toward the use of complementary and alternative medicine in children with cancer,” Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 177–182, 2009.
- J. C. S. Mak, L. Y. H. Mak, Q. Shen, and S. Faux, “Perceptions and attitudes of rehabilitation medicine physicians on complementary and alternative medicine in Australia,” Internal Medicine Journal, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 164–169, 2009.
- K. Münstedt, A. Brenken, and M. Kalder, “Clinical indications and perceived effectiveness of complementary and alternative medicine in departments of obstetrics in Germany: a questionnaire study,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 146, no. 1, pp. 50–54, 2009.
- R. T. Lee, F. J. Hlubocky, J.-J. Hu, R. S. Stafford, and C. K. Daugherty, “An international pilot study of oncology physicians' opinions and practices on complementary and alternative medicine (CAM),” Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 70–75, 2008.
- M. K. Wynia, D. M. Eisenberg, and I. B. Wilson, “Physician-patient communication about complementary and alternative medical therapies: a survey of physicians caring for patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 447–456, 1999.
- Consortium of Academic Health Centers for Integrative Medicine (CAHCIM) Home page, 2010, http://www.imconsortium.org/.
- B. M. Berman, B. B. Singh, S. M. Hartnoll, B. Krishna Singh, and D. Reilly, “Primary care physicians and complementary-alternative medicine: training, attitudes, and practice patterns,” Journal of the American Board of Family Practice, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 272–281, 1998.
- Y. Zhang, K. Peck, M. Spalding, T. Xu, and M. Ragain, “A study to examine the attitudes, knowledge, and utilization of CAM by primary care professional in West Texas,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 227–232, 2010.
- L. Y. Wong, M. P. H. S. Toh, and K. H. Kong, “Barriers to patient referral for Complementary and Alternative Medicines and its implications on interventions,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 18, no. 3-4, pp. 135–142, 2010.
- D. L. Wahner-Roedler, A. Vincent, P. L. Elkin, L. L. Loehrer, S. S. Cha, and B. A. Bauer, “Physicians' attitudes toward complementary and alternative medicine and their knowledge of specific therapies: a survey at an academic medical center,” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 495–501, 2006.
- Internationals Society for Complementary Medicine Research, 2013, http://www.iscmr.org/.
- European Congress for Integrative Medicine, 2013, http://www.ecim-congress.org/general-information.html.
- T. P. Johnson and J. S. Wislar, “Response rates and nonresponse errors in surveys,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 17, pp. 1805–1806, 2012.