- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 297427, 10 pages
Roots of Erigeron annuus Attenuate Acute Inflammation as Mediated with the Inhibition of NF-κB-Associated Nitric Oxide and Prostaglandin E2 production
1Medical Research Center for Globalization of Herbal Formulation, College of Oriental Medicine, Daegu Haany University, Daegu 706-828, Republic of Korea
2Department of Herbal Pharmaceutical Engineering, Daegu Haany University, Kyung-San, Kyung-Buk 712-715, Republic of Korea
Received 24 October 2012; Revised 10 January 2013; Accepted 15 January 2013
Academic Editor: Ke Ren
Copyright © 2013 Mi Jeong Jo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Mantovani, P. Allavena, A. Sica, and F. Balkwill, “Cancer-related inflammation,” Nature, vol. 454, no. 7203, pp. 436–444, 2008.
- G. Brevetti, G. Giugliano, L. Brevetti, and W. R. Hiatt, “Inflammation in peripheral artery disease,” Circulation, vol. 122, no. 18, pp. 1862–1875, 2010.
- S. Hummasti and G. S. Hotamisligil, “Endoplasmic reticulum stress and inflammation in obesity and diabetes,” Circulation Research, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 579–591, 2010.
- B. N. Lambrecht and H. Hammad, “The role of dendritic and epithelial cells as master regulators of allergic airway inflammation,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9743, pp. 835–843, 2010.
- E. Christaki, S. M. Opal, J. C. Keith et al., “Estrogen receptor β agonism increases survival in experimentally induced sepsis and ameliorates the genomic sepsis signature: a pharmacogenomic study,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 201, no. 8, pp. 1250–1257, 2010.
- C. Bouffi, C. Bony, G. Courties, C. Jorgensen, and D. Noël, “IL-6-dependent PGE2 secretion by mesenchymal stem cells inhibits local inflammation in experimental arthritis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 12, Article ID e14247, 2010.
- I. Posadas, M. Bucci, F. Roviezzo et al., “Carrageenan-induced mouse paw oedema is biphasic, age-weight dependent and displays differential nitric oxide cyclooxygenase-2 expression,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 331–338, 2004.
- C. C. Corriveau and R. L. Danner, “Endotoxin as a therapeutic target in septic shock,” Infectious Agents and Disease, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 35–43, 1993.
- W. H. Watson, Y. Zhao, and R. K. Chawla, “S-adenosylmethionine attenuates the lipopolysaccharide-induced expression of the gene for tumour necrosis factor α,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 342, no. 1, pp. 21–25, 1999.
- P. Kubes and D. M. McCafferty, “Nitric oxide and intestinal inflammation,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 150–158, 2000.
- H. Kleinert, P. M. Schwarz, and U. Förstermann, “Regulation of the expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase,” Biological Chemistry, vol. 384, no. 10-11, pp. 1343–1364, 2003.
- Y. W. Kim, R. J. Zhao, S. J. Park et al., “Anti-inflammatory effects of liquiritigenin as a consequence of the inhibition of NF-κB-dependent iNOS and proinflammatory cytokines production,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 165–173, 2008.
- S. J. Kim, M. S. Ha, E. Y. Choi, J. I. Choi, and I. S. Choi, “Nitric oxide production and inducible nitric oxide synthase expression induced by Prevotella nigrescens lipopolysaccharide,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2005.
- Y. Kobayashi, “The regulatory role of nitric oxide in proinflammatory cytokine expression during the induction and resolution of inflammation,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 1157–1162, 2010.
- S. Moncada, R. M. J. Palmer, and E. A. Higgs, “Nitric oxide: physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 109–142, 1991.
- S. G. Harris, J. Padilla, L. Koumas, D. Ray, and R. P. Phipps, “Prostaglandins as modulators of immunity,” Trends in Immunology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 144–150, 2002.
- S. Ghosh and M. Karin, “Missing pieces in the NF-κB puzzle,” Cell, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. S81–S96, 2002.
- G. Bonizzi and M. Karin, “The two NF-κB activation pathways and their role in innate and adaptive immunity,” Trends in Immunology, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 280–288, 2004.
- M. S. Hayden and S. Ghosh, “Signaling to NF-κB,” Genes and Development, vol. 18, no. 18, pp. 2195–2224, 2004.
- C. C. Bennington and D. A. Stratton, “Field tests of density- and frequency-dependent selection in Erigeron annuus (Compositae),” American Journal of Botany, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 540–545, 1998.
- H. Oh, S. Lee, H. S. Lee et al., “Germination inhibitory constituents from Erigeron annuus,” Phytochemistry, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 175–179, 2002.
- L. B. Katz, H. M. Theobald, R. C. Bookstaff, and R. E. Peterson, “Characterization of the enhanced paw edema response to carrageenan and dextran in 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin-treated rats,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 230, no. 3, pp. 670–677, 1984.
- H. D. Kim, H. R. Cho, S. B. Moon et al., “Effect of exopolymers from Aureobasidium pullulans on formalin-induced chronic paw inflammation in mice,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1954–1960, 2006.
- R. L. C. Handy and P. K. Moore, “A comparison of the effects of L-NAME, 7-NI and L-NIL on caurageenan-induced hindpaw oedema and NOS activity,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 123, no. 6, pp. 1119–1126, 1998.
- D. S. Jang, N. H. Yoo, N. H. Kim et al., “3,5-Di-O-caffeoyl-epi-quinic acid from the leaves and stems of Erigeron annuus inhibits protein glycation, aldose reductase, and cataractogenesis,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 329–333, 2010.
- H. Y. Nam, S. J. Dae, L. Y. Jeong et al., “Erigeroflavanone, a flavanone derivative from the flowers of Erigeron annuus with protein glycation and aldose reductase inhibitory activity,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 713–715, 2008.
- M. S. Sung, Y. H. Kim, Y. M. Choi, H. M. Han, H. S. Jeong, and J. S. Lee, “Anti-inflammatory effect Erigeron annuus L. Flower extract though heme oxygenase-1 inhibition in Raw264.7 macrophages,” Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 40, pp. 1507–1511, 2011.
- C. H. Jeong, H. R. Jeong, G. N. Choi, D. O. Kim, U. Lee, and H. J. Heo, “Neuroprotective and anti-oxidant effects of caffeic acid isolated from Erigeron annuus leaf,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 6, article 25, 2011.
- M. Di Rosa, “Prostaglandins, leucocytes and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs,” Polish Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacy, vol. 26, no. 1-2, pp. 25–36, 1974.
- J. Garcia Leme, L. Hamamura, M. P. Leite, and M. Rocha e Silva, “Pharmacological analysis of the acute inflammatory process induced in the rat's paw by local injection of carrageenin and by heating,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 88–96, 1973.
- K. Omote, K. Hazama, T. Kawamata et al., “Peripheral nitric oxide in carrageenan-induced inflammation,” Brain Research, vol. 912, no. 2, pp. 171–175, 2001.
- M. J. Coffey, S. M. Phare, and M. Peters-Golden, “Induction of inducible nitric oxide synthase by lipopolysaccharide/interferon gamma and sepsis down-regulates 5-lipoxygenase metabolism in murine alveolar macrophages,” Experimental Lung Research, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 615–633, 2004.
- E. Jimi and S. Ghosh, “Role of nuclear factor-κB in the immune system and bone,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 208, pp. 80–87, 2005.
- W. C. Huang, J. J. Chen, and C. C. Chen, “c-Src-dependent tyrosine phosphorylation of IKKβ is involved in tumor necrosis factor-α-induced intercellular adhesion molecule-1 expression,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 11, pp. 9944–9952, 2003.
- S. A. Trushin, K. N. Pennington, E. M. Carmona et al., “Protein kinase Cα (PKCα) acts upstream of PKCθ to activate IκB kinase and NF-κB in T lymphocytes,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 23, no. 19, pp. 7068–7081, 2003.
- D. S. Jang, N. H. Yoo, Y. M. Lee, J. L. Yoo, Y. S. Kim, and J. S. Kim, “Constituents of the flowers of Erigeron annuus with inhibitory activity on the formation of advanced glycation end products (AGEs) and aldose reductase,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 900–904, 2008.
- J. Nazaruk and D. Kalemba, “Chemical composition of the essential oils from the roots of Erigeron acris L. and Erigeron annuus (L.) Pers,” Molecules, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 2458–2465, 2009.
- T. Iijima, Y. Yaoita, and M. Kikuchi, “Two new cyclopentenone derivatives and a new cyclooctadienone derivative from Erigeron annuus (L.) Pers., Erigeron philadelphicus L., and Erigeron sumatrensis Retz,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 894–896, 2003.
- X. Li, M. Yang, Y. F. Han, and K. Gao, “New sesquiterpenes from Erigeron annus,” Planta Medica, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 268–272, 2005.
- M. K. Jang, H. J. Lee, J. S. Kim, and J. H. Ryu, “A curcuminoid and two sesquiterpenoids from Curcuma zedoaria as inhibitors of nitric oxide synthesis in activated macrophages,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1220–1225, 2004.
- V. Hernández, M. D. C. Recio, S. Máñz, J. M. Prieto, R. M. Giner, and J. L. Ríos, “A mechanistic approach to the in vivo anti-inflammatory activity of sesquiterpenoid compounds isolated from Inula viscosa,” Planta Medica, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 726–731, 2001.
- G. W. Hoyle, C. I. Hoyle, J. Chen, W. Chang, R. W. Williams, and R. J. Rando, “Identification of triptolide, a natural diterpenoid compound, as an inhibitor of lung inflammation,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 298, no. 6, pp. L830–L836, 2010.
- A. Navarro, B. de Las Heras, and A. M. Villar, “Andalusol, a diterpenoid with anti-inflammatory activity from Sideritis foetens Clemen,” Zeitschrift fü r Naturforschung. Section C, vol. 52, no. 11-12, pp. 844–849, 1997.
- D. T. A. Youssef, A. K. Ibrahim, S. I. Khalifa, M. K. Mesbah, A. M. S. Mayer, and R. W. M. Van Soest, “New anti-inflammatory sterols from the red sea sponges Scalarispongia aqabaensis and Callyspongia siphonella,” Natural Product Communications, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 27–31, 2010.
- B. Singh, P. M. Sahu, and M. K. Sharma, “Anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial activities of triterpenoids from Strobilanthes callosus Nees,” Phytomedicine, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 355–359, 2002.
- A. I. Huguet, M. Del Carmen Recio, S. Máez, R. M. Giner, and J. L. Ríos, “Effect of triterpenoids on the inflammation induced by protein kinase C activators, neuronally acting irritants and other agents,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 410, no. 1, pp. 69–81, 2000.