- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 340645, 8 pages
The Ethanol Extract of Zingiber zerumbet Attenuates Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Nephropathy in Rats
1Department of Internal Medicine, Pao Chien Hospital, Pingtung City, Pingtung County 90064, Taiwan
2Department of Pharmacy and Graduate Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology, Tajen University, Yanpu Township, Pingtung County 90701, Taiwan
3School of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences and Chinese Medicine Resources, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
Received 2 October 2012; Revised 17 December 2012; Accepted 7 January 2013
Academic Editor: Arndt Büssing
Copyright © 2013 Thing-Fong Tzeng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Rossing, “Diabetic nephropathy: worldwide epidemic and effects of current treatment on natural history,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 479–483, 2006.
- C. E. Mogensen, W. F. Keane, P. H. Bennett et al., “Prevention of diabetic renal disease with special reference to microalbuminuria,” The Lancet, vol. 346, no. 8982, pp. 1080–1084, 1995.
- H. Kawachi, N. Miyauchi, K. Suzuki, D. H. Gi, M. Orikasa, and F. Shimizu, “Role of podocyte slit diaphragm as a filtration barrier,” Nephrology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 274–281, 2006.
- A. Nerlich and E. Schleicher, “Immunohistochemical localization of extracellular matrix components in human diabetic glomerular lesions,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 139, no. 4, pp. 889–899, 1991.
- M. E. Cooper, P. Mundel, and G. Boner, “Role of nephrin in renal disease including diabetic nephropathy,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 393–398, 2002.
- T. Narita, J. Koshimura, K. Suzuki et al., “Effects of short-term glycemic control, low protein diet and administration of enalapril on renal hemodynamics and protein permselectivity in type 2 diabetic patients with microalbuminuria,” The Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 189, no. 2, pp. 117–133, 1999.
- S. M. Nalawade, A. P. Sagare, C. Y. Lee, C. L. Kao, and H. S. Tsay, “Studies on tissue culture of Chinese medicinal plant resources in Taiwan and their sustainable utilization,” Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 79–98, 2003.
- N. J. Yob, S. M. Jofrry, M. M. R. M. M. Affandi, L. K. Teh, M. Z. Salleh, and Z. A. Zakaria, “Zingiber zerumbet (L.) Smith: a review of its ethnomedicinal, chemical, and pharmacological uses,” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 543216, 12 pages, 2011.
- E. Langner, S. Greifenberg, and J. Gruenwald, “Ginger: history and use,” Advances in Therapy, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 25–44, 1998.
- R. D. Altman and K. C. Marcussen, “Effects of a ginger extract on knee pain in patients with osteoarthritis,” Arthritis Rheum, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 2531–2538, 2001.
- M. R. Sulaiman, T. A. S. Tengku Mohamad, W. M. Shaik Mossadeq et al., “Antinociceptive activity of the essential oil of Zingiber zerumbet,” Planta Medica, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 107–112, 2010.
- I. Jantan, I. A. A. Rafi, and J. Jalil, “Platelet-activating factor (PAF) receptor-binding antagonist activity of Malaysian medicinal plants,” Phytomedicine, vol. 12, no. 1-2, pp. 88–92, 2005.
- S. K. Tan, R. Pippen, R. Yusof, N. S. Abdul Rahman, H. Ibrahim, and N. Z. Khalid, “Screening of selected Zingiberaceae extracts for dengue-2 virus protease inhibitory activities,” Sunway Academic Journal, vol. 3, pp. 1–7, 2006.
- R. Husen, A. H. L. Pihie, and M. Nallappan, “Screening for antihyperglycaemic activity in several local herbs of Malaysia,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 95, no. 2-3, pp. 205–208, 2004.
- C. J. Chang, T. F. Tzeng, Y. S. Chang, and I. M. Liu, “Beneficial impact of Zingiber zerumbet on insulin sensitivity in fructose-fed rats,” Planta Medica, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 317–325, 2012.
- S. Dronavalli, I. Duka, and G. L. Bakris, “The pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy,” Nature Clinical Practice Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 444–452, 2008.
- C. J. Chang, T. F. Tzeng, S. S. Liou, Y. S. Chang, and I. M. Liu, “Acute and 28-day subchronic oral toxicity of an ethanol extract of Zingiber zerumbet (L.) Smith in rodents,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 608284, 11 pages, 2012.
- C. J. Chang, T. F. Tzeng, S. S. Liou, Y. S. Chang, and I. M. Liu, “Absence of genotoxic and mutagenic effects of Zingiber zerumbet (L.) Smith (Zingiberaceae) extract,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 406296, 7 pages, 2012.
- A. A. Alhaider, H. M. Korashy, M. M. Sayed-Ahmed, M. Mobark, H. Kfoury, and M. A. Mansour, “Metformin attenuates streptozotocin-induced diabetic nephropathy in rats through modulation of oxidative stress genes expression,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 192, no. 3, pp. 233–242, 2011.
- Y. Kanetsuna, K. Hirano, M. Nagata et al., “Characterization of diabetic nephropathy in a transgenic model of hypoinsulinemic diabetes,” American Journal of Physiology—Renal Physiology, vol. 291, no. 6, pp. F1315–F1322, 2006.
- I. M. Liu, T. F. Tzeng, S. S. Liou, and C. J. Chang, “The amelioration of streptozotocin diabetes-induced renal damage by Wu-Ling-San (Hoelen Five Herb Formula), a traditional Chinese prescription,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 211–218, 2009.
- B. Siu, J. Saha, W. E. Smoyer, K. A. Sullivan, and F. C. Brosius III, “Reduction in podocyte density as a pathologic feature in early diabetic nephropathy in rodents: prevention by lipoic acid treatment,” BMC Nephrology, vol. 7, article 6, 2006.
- J. G. Boyle, I. P. Salt, and G. A. McKay, “Metformin action on AMP-activated protein kinase: a translational research approach to understanding a potential new therapeutic target,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1097–1106, 2010.
- G. I. Welsh and M. A. Saleem, “Nephrin—signature molecule of the glomerular podocyte?” Journal of Pathology, vol. 220, no. 3, pp. 328–337, 2010.
- T. D. Piscione and C. Licht, “Genetics of proteinuria: an overview of gene mutations associated with nonsyndromic proteinuric glomerulopathies,” Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 273–289, 2011.
- Q. Fan, J. Ding, J. Zhang, N. Guan, and J. Deng, “Effect of the knockdown of podocin mRNA on nephrin and α-actinin in mouse podocyte,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 229, no. 9, pp. 964–970, 2004.
- M. J. Lee, D. Feliers, M. M. Mariappan et al., “A role for AMP-activated protein kinase in diabetes-induced renal hypertrophy,” American Journal of Physiology—Renal Physiology, vol. 292, no. 2, pp. F617–F627, 2007.
- A. Gruzman, G. Babai, and S. Sasson, “Adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK) as a new target for antidiabetic drugs: a review on metabolic, pharmacological and chemical considerations,” The Review of Diabetic Studies, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 13–36, 2009.