- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 342561, 11 pages
Extract of Wax Gourd Peel Prevents High-Fat Diet-Induced Hyperlipidemia in C57BL/6 Mice via the Inhibition of the PPAR Pathway
1School of Pharmacy, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 201203, China
2College of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Southwest University, Chongqing 400716, China
3Key Laboratory of Horticulture Science for Southern Mountainous Regions, Ministry of Education, Chongqing 400715, China
4Institute of Digestive Disease, Longhua Hospital, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 201203, China
Received 30 October 2012; Accepted 26 December 2012
Academic Editor: Ken Yasukawa
Copyright © 2013 Ming Gu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Veronica and R. R. Esther, “Aging, metabolic syndrome and the heart,” Aging and Disease, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 269–279, 2012.
- J. G. Fodor, J. J. Frohlich, J. J. G. Genest, and P. R. M, “Recommendations for the management and treatment of dyslipidemia: report of the working group on hypercholesterolemia and other dyslipidemias,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 162, no. 10, pp. 1441–1447, 2000.
- ECE D, Pharmacy Perspectives in Dyslipidemia Management, US Pharmacist, 2010.
- S. Hasani-Ranjbar, N. Nayebi, B. Larijani, and M. Abdollahi, “A systematic review of the efficacy and safety of herbal medicines used in the treatment of obesity,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 25, pp. 3073–3085, 2009.
- W. Jia, W. Gaoz, and L. Tang, “Antidiabetic herbal drugs officially approved in China,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1127–1134, 2003.
- N. G. Sahib, N. Saari, A. Ismail, A. Khatib, F. Mahomoodally, and A. A. Hamid, “Plants' metabolites as potential antiobesity agents,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2012, Article ID 436039, 8 pages, 2012.
- M. Choudhary and K. Grover, “Development of functional food products in relation to obesity,” Functional Foods in Health and Disease, vol. 2, pp. 188–197, 2012.
- C. P. Khare, Indian Medicinal Plants: An Illustrated Dictionary, Springer, 2007.
- V. S. B Mathad, S. Chandanam, S. R. T. Setty, D. Ramaiyan, B. Veeranna, and A. B. V. Lakshminarayansettry, “Antidiarrheal evaluation of Benincasa hispida (Thunb.) Cogn. fruit extracts,” Iranian Journal of Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 4, no. 1, 2005.
- V. Sabale, H. Kunjwani, and P. Sabale, “Formulation and in vitro evaluation of the topical antiageing preparation of the fruit of Benincasa hispida,” Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 3, p. 124, 2011.
- S. J. Lim, J. G. Jeong, M. W. Kim, S. S. Choi, H. K. Han, and J. E. Park, “Effects of Benincasa hispida intake on blood glucose and lipid level in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats,” Korean Journal of Nutrition, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 335–343, 2003.
- K. J. Kang, S. J. Lim, J. G. Jeong et al., “Effects of wax guard on weight, triglyceride, leptin and fat cell size in rats fed on a high fat diet,” Korean Journal of Nutrition, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 446–451, 2003.
- K. M. Sreenivas, K. Chaudhari, and S. S. Lele, “Ash gourd peel wax: extraction, characterization, and application as an edible coat for fruits,” Food Science and Biotechnology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 383–387, 2011.
- J. P. Berger, T. E. Akiyama, and P. T. Meinke, “PPARs: therapeutic targets for metabolic disease,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 244–251, 2005.
- L. Guo and R. Tabrizchi, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma as a drug target in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 145–173, 2006.
- S. E. Schadinger, N. L. R. Bucher, B. M. Schreiber, and S. R. Farmer, “PPARγ2 regulates lipogenesis and lipid accumulation in steatotic hepatocytes,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 288, no. 6, pp. E1195–E1205, 2005.
- B. S. Muhlhausler, J. L. Morrison, and I. C. McMillen, “Rosiglitazone increases the expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ target genes in adipose tissue, liver, and skeletal muscle in the sheep fetus in late gestation,” Endocrinology, vol. 150, no. 9, pp. 4287–4294, 2009.
- T. H. W. Huang, B. P. Kota, V. Razmovski, and B. D. Roufogalis, “Herbal or natural medicines as modulators of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors and related nuclear receptors for therapy of metabolic syndrome,” Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 2005.
- Y. Zhang, S. Fan, N. Hu et al., “Rhein reduces fat weight in db/db mouse and prevents diet-induced obesity in C57Bl/6 mouse through the inhibition of PPARγ signaling,” PPAR Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 374936, 9 pages, 2012.
- Z. Gong, C. Huang, X. Sheng et al., “The role of Tanshinone IIA in the treatment of obesity through peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ antagonism,” Endocrinology, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 104–113, 2009.
- J. Goldwasser, P. Y. Cohen, E. Yang, P. Balaguer, M. L. Yarmush, and Y. Nahmias, “Transcriptional regulation of human and rat hepatic lipid metabolism by the grapefruit flavonoid naringenin: role of PPARα, PPARγ and LXRα,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 8, Article ID e12399, 2010.
- C. Huang, Y. Zhang, Z. Gong et al., “Berberine inhibits 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation through the PPARγ pathway,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 571–578, 2006.
- M. Zang, S. Xu, K. A. Maitland-Toolan et al., “Polyphenols stimulate AMP-activated protein kinase, lower lipids, and inhibit accelerated atherosclerosis in diabetic LDL receptor-deficient mice,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 2180–2191, 2006.
- D. Patsouris, J. K. Reddy, M. Müller, and S. Kersten, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α mediates the effects of high-fat diet on hepatic gene expression,” Endocrinology, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 1508–1516, 2006.
- S. Yoshizumi, T. Murakami, M. Kadoya, H. Matsuda, J. Yamahara, and M. Yoshikawa, “Medicinal foodstuffs. XI. Histamine release inhibitors from wax gourd, the fruits of Benincasa hispida COGN,” Journal of the Pharmaceutical Society of Japan, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 188–192, 1998.
- K. Dhiman, A. Gupta, D. K. Sharma, N. S. Gill, and A. Goyal, “A review on the medicinally important plants of the family Cucurbitaceae,” Asian Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 16–26, 2012.
- H. Lü, J. Chen, W. L. Li et al., “Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of the total triterpene acid fraction from Folium Eriobotryae,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 486–491, 2009.
- I. K. Vasilenko, L. Lisevitskaia, L. Frolova, E. Parfent'eva, and I. Skul'te, “Hypolipidemic properties of triterpenoids,” Farmakologiia i Toksikologiia, vol. 45, no. 5, p. 66, 1982.
- H. Li, Q. J. Wang, D. N. Zhu, and Y. Yang, “Reinioside C, a triterpene saponin of Polygala aureocauda Dunn, exerts hypolipidemic effect on hyperlipidemic mice,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 159–164, 2008.
- W. Ahmed, O. Ziouzenkova, J. Brown et al., “PPARs and their metabolic modulation: new mechanisms for transcriptional regulation?” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 262, no. 2, pp. 184–198, 2007.
- Y. Shi and P. Burn, “Lipid metabolic enzymes: emerging drug targets for the treatment of obesity,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 695–710, 2004.
- M. Furuhashi and G. S. Hotamisligil, “Fatty acid-binding proteins: role in metabolic diseases and potential as drug targets,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 489–503, 2008.
- T. Wu, J. Tian, R. G. Cutler et al., “Knockdown of FABP5 mRNA decreases cellular cholesterol levels and results in decreased apoB100 secretion and triglyceride accumulation in ARPE-19 cells,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 906–914, 2010.
- K. Maeda, K. T. Uysal, L. Makowski et al., “Role of the fatty acid binding protein mal1 in obesity and insulin resistance,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 300–307, 2003.
- L. Makowski, J. B. Boord, K. Maeda et al., “Lack of macrophage fatty-acid-binding protein aP2 protects mice deficient in apolipoprotein E against atherosclerosis,” Nature Medicine, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 699–705, 2001.
- C. Handschin and B. M. Spiegelman, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ coactivator 1 coactivators, energy homeostasis, and metabolism,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 728–735, 2006.
- P. Puigserver and B. M. Spiegelman, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ coactivator 1α (PGC-1α): transcriptional coactivator and metabolic regulator,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 78–90, 2003.
- N. Mitro, P. A. Mak, L. Vargas et al., “The nuclear receptor LXR is a glucose sensor,” Nature, vol. 445, no. 7124, pp. 219–223, 2007.
- P. A. Edwards, H. R. Kast, and A. M. Anisfeld, “BAREing it all: the adoption of LXR and FXR and their roles in lipid homeostasis,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 2–12, 2002.
- Y. C. Chen, Y. D. I. Chen, X. Li et al., “The HMG-CoA Reductase gene and lipid and lipoprotein levels: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis,” Lipids, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 733–743, 2009.