- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 364519, 16 pages
Cardioprotective Effects of Quercetin in Cardiomyocyte under Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury
1Institute of Bioinformatics and Structural Biology and Department of Medical Sciences, National Tsing Hua University, 101 Kuang-Fu Road, Section 2, Hsinchu 30013, Taiwan
2Department of Applied Science, National Hsinchu University of Education, Hsinchu 30013, Taiwan
3Institute of Molecular Medicine and Department of Medical Science, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu 30013, Taiwan
Received 10 August 2012; Revised 22 November 2012; Accepted 7 February 2013
Academic Editor: Peng Nam Yeoh
Copyright © 2013 Yi-Wen Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Takano, Y. Zou, H. Hasegawa, H. Akazawa, T. Nagai, and I. Komuro, “Oxidative stress-induced signal transduction pathways in cardiac myocytes: involvement of ROS in heart diseases,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 789–794, 2003.
- H. C. Chou, Y. W. Chen, T. R. Lee et al., “Proteomics study of oxidative stress and Src kinase inhibition in H9C2 cardiomyocytes: a cell model of heart ischemia-reperfusion injury and treatment,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 96–108, 2010.
- M. J. Morgan and Z. G. Liu, “Reactive oxygen species in TNFα-induced signaling and cell death,” Molecules and Cells, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2010.
- F. Rusnak and T. Reiter, “Sensing electrons: protein phosphatase redox regulation,” Trends in Biochemical Sciences, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 527–529, 2000.
- A. W. Boots, G. R. M. M. Haenen, and A. Bast, “Health effects of quercetin: from antioxidant to nutraceutical,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 585, no. 2-3, pp. 325–337, 2008.
- J. Sanhueza, J. Valdes, R. Campos, A. Garrido, and A. Valenzuela, “Changes in the xanthine dehydrogenase/xanthine oxidase ratio in the rat kidney subjected to ischemia-reperfusion stress: preventive effect of some flavonoids,” Research Communications in Chemical Pathology and Pharmacology, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 211–218, 1992.
- B. Sun, G. B. Sun, J. Xiao et al., “Isorhamnetin inhibits H2O2-induced activation of the intrinsic apoptotic pathway in H9c2 cardiomyocytes through scavenging reactive oxygen species and ERK inactivation,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 113, pp. 473–485, 2012.
- M. Kyaw, M. Yoshizumi, K. Tsuchiya, K. Kirima, and T. Tamaki, “Antioxidants inhibit JNK and p38 MAPK activation but not ERK 1/2 activation by angiotensin II in rat aortic smooth muscle cells,” Hypertension Research, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 251–261, 2001.
- D. Staedler, E. Idrizi, B. H. Kenzaoui, and L. Juillerat-Jeanneret, “Drug combinations with quercetin: doxorubicin plus quercetin in human breast cancer cells,” Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, vol. 68, pp. 1161–1172, 2011.
- H. Kaiserová, T. Šimůnek, W. J. F. van der Vijgh, A. Bast, and E. Kvasničková, “Flavonoids as protectors against doxorubicin cardiotoxicity: role of iron chelation, antioxidant activity and inhibition of carbonyl reductase,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1772, no. 9, pp. 1065–1074, 2007.
- D. J. Marchant, J. H. Boyd, D. C. Lin, D. J. Granville, F. S. Garmaroudi, and B. M. McManus, “Inflammation in myocardial diseases,” Circulation Research, vol. 110, pp. 126–144, 2012.
- G. Muthian and J. J. Bright, “Quercetin, a flavonoid phytoestrogen, ameliorates experimental allergic encephalomyelitis by blocking IL-12 signaling through JAK-STAT pathway in T lymphocyte,” Journal of Clinical Immunology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 542–552, 2004.
- A. Tyagi, C. Agarwal, L. D. Dwyer-Nield, R. P. Singh, A. M. Malkinson, and R. Agarwal, “Silibinin modulates TNF-alpha and IFN-gamma mediated signaling to regulate COX2 and iNOS expression in tumorigenic mouse lung epithelial LM2 cells,” Molecular Carcinogenesis, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 832–842, 2012.
- T. Yagi, H. Yoshioka, T. Wakai, T. Kato, T. Horikoshi, and H. Kinouchi, “Activation of signal transducers and activators of transcription 3 in the hippocampal CA1 region in a rat model of global cerebral ischemic preconditioning,” Brain Research, vol. 1422, pp. 39–45, 2011.
- G. S. Dikdan, S. C. Saba, A. N. Dela Torre, J. Roth, S. Wang, and B. Koneru, “Role of oxidative stress in the increased activation of signal transducers and activators of transcription-3 in the fatty livers of obese Zucker rats,” Surgery, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 677–685, 2004.
- C. C. Chen, Y. C. Lu, Y. W. Chen, et al., “Hemopexin is up-regulated in plasma from type 1 diabetes mellitus patients: role of glucose-induced ROS,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 75, no. 12, pp. 3760–3777, 2012.
- C. L. Wu, H. C. Chou, C. S. Cheng et al., “Proteomic analysis of UVB-induced protein expression- and redox-dependent changes in skin fibroblasts using lysine- and cysteine-labeling two-dimensional difference gel electrophoresis,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 75, pp. 1991–2014, 2012.
- K. Raedschelders, D. M. Ansley, and D. D. Chen, “The cellular and molecular origin of reactive oxygen species generation during myocardial ischemia and reperfusion,” Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 133, pp. 230–255, 2012.
- J. T. Hwang, D. Y. Kwon, O. J. Park, and M. S. Kim, “Resveratrol protects ROS-induced cell death by activating AMPK in H9c2 cardiac muscle cells,” Genes and Nutrition, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 323–326, 2008.
- Z. Liao, D. Yin, W. Wang et al., “Cardioprotective effect of sasanquasaponin preconditioning via bradykinin-NO pathway in isolated rat heart,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1146–1153, 2009.
- Z. H. Shao, K. R. Wojcik, A. Dossumbekova et al., “Grape seed proanthocyanidins protect cardiomyocytes from ischemia and reperfusion injury via Akt-NOS signaling,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 697–705, 2009.
- S. Y. Han, H. X. Li, X. Ma, K. Zhang, Z. Z. Ma, and P. F. Tu, “Protective effects of purified safflower extract on myocardial ischemia in vivo and in vitro,” Phytomedicine, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 694–702, 2009.
- N. Lu, Y. Sun, and X. Zheng, “Orientin-induced cardioprotection against reperfusion is associated with attenuation of mitochondrial permeability transition,” Planta Medica, vol. 77, no. 10, pp. 984–991, 2011.
- S. Huveneers and E. H. J. Danen, “Adhesion signaling—crosstalk between integrins, Src and Rho,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 122, no. 8, pp. 1059–1069, 2009.
- A. B. Stein, X. L. Tang, Y. Guo, Y. T. Xuan, B. Dawn, and R. Bolli, “Delayed adaptation of the heart to stress: late preconditioning,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 2676–2679, 2004.
- M. A. Krasilnikov, “Phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase sependent pathways: the role in control of cell growth, survival, and malignant transformation,” Biochemistry, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 59–67, 2000.
- S. Miravet, J. Piedra, J. Castaño et al., “Tyrosine phosphorylation of plakoglobin causes contrary effects on its association with desmosomes and adherens junction components and modulates β-catenin-mediated transcription,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 23, no. 20, pp. 7391–7402, 2003.
- M. Aldemir, G. Ozgun, E. Onen, E. Okulu, and O. Kayigil, “Quercetin has a protective role on histopathological findings on testicular ischaemia-reperfusion injury in rats,” Andrologia, vol. 44, supplement 1, pp. 479–483, 2012.
- D. Dekanski, V. Selakovic, V. Piperski, Z. Radulovic, A. Korenic, and L. Radenovic, “Protective effect of olive leaf extract on hippocampal injury induced by transient global cerebral ischemia and reperfusion in Mongolian gerbils,” Phytomedicine, vol. 18, pp. 1137–1143, 2011.
- A. K. Pandey, P. P. Hazari, R. Patnaik, and A. K. Mishra, “The role of ASIC1a in neuroprotection elicited by quercetin in focal cerebral ischemia,” Brain Research, vol. 1383, pp. 289–299, 2011.
- X. Cao, M. Liu, J. Tuo, D. Shen, and C. C. Chan, “The effects of quercetin in cultured human RPE cells under oxidative stress and in Ccl2/Cx3cr1 double deficient mice,” Experimental Eye Research, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 2010.
- M. Skalski, N. Sharma, K. Williams, A. Kruspe, and M. G. Coppolino, “SNARE-mediated membrane traffic is required for focal adhesion kinase signaling and Src-regulated focal adhesion turnover,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1813, no. 1, pp. 148–158, 2011.
- J. W. Calvert, S. Gundewar, M. Yamakuchi et al., “Inhibition of N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor protects against myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury,” Circulation Research, vol. 101, no. 12, pp. 1247–1254, 2007.
- L. D. Hu, H. F. Zou, S. X. Zhan, and K. M. Cao, “EVL (Ena/VASP-like) expression is up-regulated in human breast cancer and its relative expression level is correlated with clinical stages,” Oncology Reports, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1015–1020, 2008.
- S. J. Wanner, M. C. Danos, J. L. Lohr, and J. R. Miller, “Molecular cloning and expression of Ena/Vasp-like (Evl) during Xenopus development,” Gene Expression Patterns, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 423–428, 2005.
- M. Takaku, S. Machida, N. Hosoya et al., “Recombination activator function of the novel RAD51- and RAD51B-binding protein, human EVL,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 21, pp. 14326–14336, 2009.
- G. Slupphaug, B. Kavli, and H. E. Krokan, “The interacting pathways for prevention and repair of oxidative DNA damage,” Mutation Research, vol. 531, no. 1-2, pp. 231–251, 2003.
- J. Yochem, D. H. Hall, L. R. Bell, E. M. Hedgecock, and R. K. Herman, “Isopentenyl-diphosphate isomerase is essential for viability of Caenorhabditis elegans,” Molecular Genetics and Genomics, vol. 273, no. 2, pp. 158–166, 2005.
- T. Izawa, Y. Fukata, T. Kimura, A. Iwamatsu, K. Dohi, and K. Kaibuchi, “Elongation factor-1α is a novel substrate of Rho-associated kinase,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 278, no. 1, pp. 72–78, 2000.
- Y. Kobayashi and S. Yonehara, “Novel cell death by downregulation of eEF1A1 expression in tetraploids,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 139–150, 2009.
- W. Gałasiński, “Eukaryotic polypeptide elongation system and its sensitivity to the inhibitory substances of plant origin,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 212, no. 1, pp. 24–37, 1996.
- H. Wang, F. Lafdil, X. Kong, and B. Gao, “Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 in liver diseases: a novel therapeutic target,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 536–550, 2011.
- G. Waris, J. Turkson, T. Hassanein, and A. Siddiqui, “Hepatitis C virus (HCV) constitutively activates STAT-3 via oxidative stress: role of STAT-3 in HCV replication,” Journal of Virology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 1569–1580, 2005.
- Y. Xiao, P. Zou, J. Wang, H. Song, J. Zou, and L. Liu, “Lower phosphorylation of p38 MAPK blocks the oxidative stress-induced senescence in myeloid leukemic CD34+CD38- cells,” Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 328–333, 2012.