- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 368103, 13 pages
MAPK Signal Transduction Pathway Regulation: A Novel Mechanism of Rat HSC-T6 Cell Apoptosis Induced by FUZHENGHUAYU Tablet
1Institute of Infectious Diseases, Beijing Ditan Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100015, China
2Beijing Key Laboratory of Emerging Infectious Diseases, Beijing 100015, China
3Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Beijing Ditan Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100015, China
4Beijing Center for Physical and Chemical Analysis, Beijing 100094, China
Received 26 November 2012; Revised 9 April 2013; Accepted 9 April 2013
Academic Editor: Shao Li
Copyright © 2013 Qi Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Lazo and J. M. Clark, “The epidemiology of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a global perspective,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 339–350, 2008.
- C. D. Williams, J. Stengel, M. I. Asike et al., “Prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis among a largely middle-aged population utilizing ultrasound and liver biopsy: a prospective study,” Gastroenterology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 124–131, 2011.
- S. L. Friedman, “Liver fibrosis: from bench to bedside,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 38, supplement 1, pp. S38–S53, 2003.
- R. C. Benyon and J. P. Iredale, “Is liver fibrosis reversible?” Gut, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 443–446, 2000.
- R. Bataller and D. A. Brenner, “Liver fibrosis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 209–218, 2005.
- F. Marra, “Hepatic stellate cells and the regulation of liver inflammation,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1120–1130, 1999.
- S. Milani, H. Herbst, D. Schuppan, K. Y. Kim, E. O. Riecken, and H. Stein, “Procollagen expression by nonparenchymal rat liver cells in experimental biliary fibrosis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 175–184, 1990.
- Y. He, C. Huang, S. P. Zhang, X. Sun, X. R. Long, and J. Li, “The potential of microRNAs in liver fibrosis,” Cellular Signalling, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 2268–2272, 2012.
- Y. Inagaki and I. Okazaki, “Emerging insights into transforming growth factor β Smad signal in hepatic fibrogenesis,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 284–292, 2007.
- N. Akpolat, S. Yahsi, A. Godekmerdan, M. Yalniz, and K. Demirbag, “The value of α-SMA in the evaluation of hepatic fibrosis severity in hepatitis B infection and cirrhosis development: a histopathological and immunohistochemical study,” Histopathology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 276–280, 2005.
- Y. Sekiya, T. Ogawa, K. Yoshizato, K. Ikeda, and N. Kawada, “Suppression of hepatic stellate cell activation by microRNA-29b,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 412, no. 1, pp. 74–79, 2011.
- Y. Murakami, H. Toyoda, M. Tanaka et al., “The progression of liver fibrosis is related with overexpression of the miR-199 and 200 families,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 1, Article ID e16081, 2011.
- J. Shu, B. T. Kren, Z. Xia et al., “Genomewide microRNA down-regulation as a negative feedback mechanism in the early phases of liver regeneration,” Hepatology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 609–619, 2011.
- C. J. Guo, Q. Pan, T. Cheng, B. Jiang, G. Y. Chen, and D. G. Li, “Changes in microRNAs associated with hepatic stellate cell activation status identify signaling pathways,” FEBS Journal, vol. 276, no. 18, pp. 5163–5176, 2009.
- T. Ideker and R. Sharan, “Protein networks in disease,” Genome Research, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 644–652, 2008.
- B. S. Sanodiya, G. S. Thakur, R. K. Baghel, G. B. K. S. Prasad, and P. S. Bisen, “Ganoderma lucidum: a potent pharmacological macrofungus,” Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 717–742, 2009.
- Y. Tang, Y. Liao, N. Kawaguchi-Sakita et al., “Sinisan, a traditional Chinese medicine, attenuates experimental chronic pancreatitis induced by trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid in rats,” Journal of Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Sciences, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 551–558, 2011.
- C. C. Cheng, N. N. Lin, Y. F. Lee et al., “Effects of Shugan-Huayu powder, a traditional Chinese medicine, on hepatic fibrosis in rat model,” Chinese Journal of Physiology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 223–233, 2010.
- K. F. Cheung, D. W. Ye, Z. F. Yang et al., “Therapeutic efficacy of Traditional Chinese Medicine 319 recipe on hepatic fibrosis induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 142–150, 2009.
- P. Liu, Y. Y. Hu, C. Liu et al., “Multicenter clinical study on Fuzhenghuayu capsule against liver fibrosis due to chronic hepatitis B,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 19, pp. 2892–2899, 2005.
- P. Liu, C. Liu, L. M. Xu et al., “Effects of Fuzheng Huayu 319 recipe on liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 4, no. 1–6, pp. 348–353, 1998.
- C. Liu, C. M. Jiang, C. H. Liu, P. Liu, and Y. Y. Hu, “Effect for Fuzhenghuayu decoction on vascular endothelial growth factor secretion in hepatic stellate cells,” Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Diseases International, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 207–210, 2002.
- E. Borkham-Kamphorst, J. Herrmann, D. Stoll, J. Treptau, A. M. Gressner, and R. Weiskirchen, “Dominant-negative soluble PDGF-β receptor inhibits hepatic stellate cell activation and attenuates liver fibrosis,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 766–777, 2004.
- J. B. Chakraborty, F. Oakley, and M. J. Walsh, “Mechanisms and biomarkers of apoptosis in liver disease and fibrosis,” International Journal of Hepatology, vol. 2012, Article ID 648915, 10 pages, 2012.
- S. L. Friedman, “Evolving challenges in hepatic fibrosis,” Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 425–436, 2010.
- F. Xiao, K. Yu, F. Dong, Y. Liang, C. Jun, and H. Wei, “The GABAB receptor inhibits activation of hepatic stellate cells,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 261–267, 2010.
- L. Min, B. He, and L. Hui, “Mitogen-activated protein kinases in hepatocellular carcinoma development,” Seminars in Cancer Biology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 10–20, 2011.
- L. Santarpia, S. M. Lippman, and A. K. El-Naggar, “Targeting the MAPK-RAS-RAF signaling pathway in cancer therapy,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 103–119, 2012.
- H. J. Schaeffer and M. J. Weber, “Mitogen-activated protein kinases: specific messages from ubiquitous messengers,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 2435–2444, 1999.
- S. Li, “Network systems underlying traditional Chinese medicine syndrome and herb formula,” Current Bioinformatics, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 188–196, 2009.
- X. Wu, R. Jiang, M. Q. Zhang, and S. Li, “Network-based global inference of human disease genes,” Molecular Systems Biology, vol. 4, article 189, 2008.
- S. Li, L. Wu, and Z. Zhang, “Constructing biological networks through combined literature mining and microarray analysis: a LMMA approach,” Bioinformatics, vol. 22, no. 17, pp. 2143–2150, 2006.
- E. Albanis and S. L. Friedman, “Hepatic fibrosis: pathogenesis and principles of therapy,” Clinics in Liver Disease, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 315–334, 2001.
- B. Schnabl, C. A. Bradham, B. L. Bennett, A. M. Manning, B. Stefanovic, and D. A. Brenner, “TAK1/JNK and p38 have opposite effects on rat hepatic stellate Cells,” Hepatology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 953–963, 2001.
- E. Chan, D. E. Prado, and J. B. Weidhaas, “Cancer microRNAs: from subtype profiling to predictors of response to therapy,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 235–243, 2011.
- L. A. Goff, S. Boucher, C. L. Ricupero et al., “Differentiating human multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells regulate microRNAs: prediction of microRNA regulation by PDGF during osteogenesis,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1354–1369, 2008.
- C. J. Guo, Q. Pan, D. G. Li, H. Sun, and B. W. Liu, “miR-15b and miR-16 are implicated in activation of the rat hepatic stellate cell: an essential role for apoptosis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 766–778, 2009.
- R. M. O'Connell, D. S. Rao, A. A. Chaudhuri, and D. Baltimore, “Physiological and pathological roles for microRNAs in the immune system,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 111–122, 2010.
- X. W. Wang, N. H. H. Heegaard, and H. Orum, “MicroRNAs in liver disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 142, no. 7, pp. 1431–1414, 2012.
- C. Roderburg, G. W. Urban, K. Bettermann et al., “Micro-RNA profiling reveals a role for miR-29 in human and murine liver fibrosis,” Hepatology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 209–218, 2011.
- T. Asselah, I. Bièche, A. Sabbagh et al., “Gene expression and hepatitis C virus infection,” Gut, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 846–858, 2009.
- F. Marra, M. C. Arrighi, M. Fazi et al., “Extracellular signal-regulated kinase activation differentially regulates platelet-derived growth factor's actions in hepatic stellate cells, and is induced by in vivo liver injury in the rat,” Hepatology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 951–958, 1999.
- N. M. Jameel, C. Thirunavukkarasu, W. U. Tong, S. C. Watkins, S. L. Friedman, and C. R. Gandhi, “P38-MAPK-and caspase-3- mediated superoxide-induced apoptosis of rat hepatic stellate cells: reversal by retinoic acid,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 218, no. 1, pp. 157–166, 2009.
- R. F. Schwabe, B. Schnabl, Y. O. Kweon, and D. A. Brenner, “CD40 activates NF-κB and c-Jun N-terminal kinase and enhances chemokine secretion on activated human hepatic stellate cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 166, no. 11, pp. 6812–6819, 2001.
- R. F. Schwabe, H. Uchinami, T. Qian, B. L. Bennett, J. J. Lemasters, and D. A. Brenner, “Differential requirement for c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase in TNFalpha- and Fas-mediated apoptosis in hepatocytes,” The FASEB journal, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 720–722, 2004.
- J. Ping, J. T. Li, Z. X. Liao, L. Shang, and H. Wang, “Indole-3-carbinol inhibits hepatic stellate cells proliferation by blocking NADPH oxidase/reactive oxygen species/p38 MAPK pathway,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 650, no. 2-3, pp. 656–662, 2011.
- Y. Wang, J. Kellner, L. Liu, and D. Zhou, “Inhibition of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase promotes ex vivo hematopoietic stem cell expansion,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1143–1152, 2011.