- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 369180, 11 pages
The Effect of Elephantopus scaber L. on Liver Regeneration after Partial Hepatectomy
1School of Chinese Medicine for Post-Baccalaureate, I-Shou University, No 91. Hsueh-Shih Road, Taichung, R.O.C., Kaohsiung 40402, Taiwan
2Chinese Medicine Department, E-Da Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
3Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Science, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
4Department of Pathology, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
5Department of Medical Technology, Jen-Teh Junior College of Medicine, Nursing and Management, Miaoli, Taiwan
6Chinese Medicine Department, China Medical University Beigang Hospital, Taiwan
7Laboratory of Exercise Biochemistry, Taipei Physical Education College, Taipei, Taiwan
8Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
9Clinical Laboratory, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
10Graduate Institute of Chinese Medical Science, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
11Department of Healthcare Administration, Asia University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
12Department of Health and Nutrition Biotechnology, Asia University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
Received 15 June 2012; Revised 4 December 2012; Accepted 4 December 2012
Academic Editor: R. Govindarajan
Copyright © 2013 Chin-Chuan Tsai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Peng, Y. Wei, A. Wang, X. Wu, and L. Li, “Characteristics of element contents and their influence factors in Codonopsis tangshen,” Zhongguo Zhongyao Zazhi, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1335–1338, 2009.
- H. T. Chen, Y. L. Tsai, Y. S. Chen et al., “Dangshen (Codonopsis pilosula) activates IGF-I and FGF-2 pathways to induce proliferation and migration effects in RSC96 schwann cells,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 359–372, 2010.
- M. N. Li, W. B. Dong, M. Cao, C. L. Deng, and M. Y. Wang, “Role and mechanism of Salvia miltiorrhiza Bunge in alleviating injury induced by hypoxia/reoxygenation in HK-2 cells,” Chinese Journal of Contemporary Pediatrics, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 559–562, 2007.
- X. J. Wang, Z. B. Wang, and J. X. Xu, “Effect of salvianic acid A on lipid peroxidation and membrane permeability in mitochondria,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 441–445, 2005.
- C. C. Lin, M. H. Yen, J. Y. Chen, et al., “Anatomical and histological studies of Bupleuri radix,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 19, no. 3-4, pp. 265–274, 1991.
- G. Ji, “Clinical study on treatment of alcoholic liver disease by Qinggan Huoxue Recipe,” Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 103–124, 2003.
- C. C. Lin, C. C. Tsai, and M. H. Yen, “The evaluation of hepatoprotective effects of Taiwan folk medicine 'Teng-Khia-U',” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 113–123, 1995.
- N. Fausto and E. M. Webber, “Control of liver growth,” Critical Reviews in Eukaryotic Gene Expression, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 117–135, 1993.
- J. Kountouras, P. Boura, and N. J. Lygidakis, “Liver regeneration after hepatectomy,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 48, no. 38, pp. 556–562, 2001.
- L. Braun, J. E. Mead, M. Panzica, et al., “Transforming growth factor beta mRNA increases during liver regeneration: a possible paracrine mechanism of growth regulation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 1539–1543, 1988.
- G. K. Michalopoulos and M. C. DeFrances, “Liver regeneration,” Science, vol. 276, no. 5309, pp. 60–65, 1997.
- C. Surrenti, A. Casini, and S. Milani, “Is determination of serum N-terminal procollagen type III peptide (sPIIIP) a marker of hepatic fibrosis?” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 705–709, 1987.
- H. Rosa, E. R. Parise, F. R. Paranhos, et al., “Controlled production of cirrhosis in the rat liver,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 39–43, 1991.
- H. Nakatsukasa, R. P. Evarts, C. Hsia, and S. S. Thorgeirsson, “Transforming growth factor-α1 and type I procollagen transcripts during regeneration and early fibrosis of rat liver,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 171–180, 1990.
- G. Eghbali-Fatourechi, G. C. Sieck, Y. S. Prakash, P. Maercklein, G. J. Gores, and L. A. Fitzpatrick, “Type I procollagen production and cell proliferation is mediated by transforming growth factor-β in a model of hepatic fibrosis,” Endocrinology, vol. 137, no. 5, pp. 1894–1903, 1996.
- G. Han, X. He, J. Yang et al., “Chemical constituents of Codonopsis pilosula Nannf,” China Journal of Chinese Materia Medica, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 105–127, 1990.
- H. C. Wang, H. Zhang, and T. L. Zhou, “Protective effect of hydrophilic Salvia monomer on liver ischemia/reperfusion injury induced by pro-inflammatory cytokines,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 207–210, 2002.
- R. T. Tian, P. S. Xie, and H. P. Liu, “Evaluation of traditional Chinese herbal medicine: Chaihu (Bupleuri Radix) by both high-performance liquid chromatographic and high-performance thin-layer chromatographic fingerprint and chemometric analysis,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1216, no. 11, pp. 2150–2155, 2009.
- H. L. Zhang, “Treatment of depression based on differentiation of the shaoyang channels,” Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 83–92, 2010.
- M. Su, H. Y. Chung, and Y. Li, “Deoxyelephantopin from Elephantopus scaber L. induces cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis in the human nasopharyngeal cancer CNE cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 411, no. 2, pp. 342–347, 2011.
- D. Wakana, N. Kawahara, and Y. Goda, “Three new triterpenyl esters, codonopilates A-C, isolated from Codonopsis pilosula,” Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 18–23, 2011.
- Y. Zhang, R. X. Wei, X. B. Zhu, et al., “anshinone IIA induces apoptosis and inhibits the proliferation, migration, and invasion of the osteosarcoma MG-63 cell line in vitro,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 212–219, 2012.
- M. H. Yen, T. C. Weng, S. Y. Liu, C. Y. Chai, and C. C. Lin, “The hepatoprotective effect of Bupleurum kaoi, an endemic plant to Taiwan, against dimethylnitrosamine-induced hepatic fibrosis in rats,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 442–448, 2005.
- L. Duan, S. N. Wallace, A. Engelberth et al., “Extraction of co-products from biomass: example of thermal degradation of silymarin compounds in subcritical water,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 362–373, 2009.
- D. Y. Park and K. S. Suh, “Transforming growth factor-β1 protein, proliferation and apoptosis of oval cells in acetylaminofluorene-Induced rat liver regeneration,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 531–538, 1999.
- A. T. Weiss, N. M. Delcour, A. Meyer, et al., “Efficient and cost-effective extraction of genomic DNA from formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissues,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 834–838, 2011.
- Y. Gavrieli, Y. Sherman, and S. A. Ben-Sasson, “Identification of programmed cell death in situ via specific labeling of nuclear DNA fragmentation,” The Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 493–501, 1992.
- H. Billig, I. Furuta, and A. J. Hsueh, “Estrogens inhibit and androgens enhance ovarian granulosa cell apoptosis,” Endocrinology, vol. 133, no. 5, pp. 2204–2212, 1993.
- F. Rohwer and F. Azam, “Detection of DNA damage in prokaryotes by terminal deoxyribonucleotide transferase-mediated dUTP nick end labeling,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 1001–1006, 2000.
- H. Towbin, T. Staehelin, and J. Gordon, “Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 4350–4354, 1979.
- T. D. Schmittgen, B. A. Zakrajsek, A. G. Mills, et al., “Quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction to study mRNA decay: comparison of endpoint and real-time methods,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 285, no. 2, pp. 194–204, 2000.
- N. Mahapoonyanont, T. Mahapoonyanont, N. Pengkaew, and R. Kamhangkit, “Power of the test of one-way ANOVA after transforming with large sample size data,” in Proceedings of the 1st World Conference on Learning, Teaching and Administration (WCLTA '10), vol. 9, pp. 933–937, October 2010.
- I. H. L. Hamelers, R. F. M. A. Van Schaik, J. Sipkema, J. S. Sussenbach, and P. H. Steenbergh, “Insulin-like growth factor I triggers nuclear accumulation of cyclin D1 in MCF-7S breast cancer cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 49, pp. 47645–47652, 2002.
- N. Fausto and E. M. Webber, “Mechanisms of growth regulation in liver regeneration and hepatic carcinogenesis,” Progress in liver diseases, vol. 11, pp. 115–137, 1993.
- S. N. Wallace, D. J. Carrier, and E. C. Clausen, “Batch solvent extraction of flavanolignans from milk thistle (Silybum marianum L. Gaertner),” Phytochemical Analysis, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 7–16, 2005.
- H. J. Kwon, Y. S. Won, Y. D. Yoon et al., “Vitamin D3 up-regulated protein 1 deficiency accelerates liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy in mice,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1168–1176, 2011.
- H. R. Reiske, J. Zhao, D. C. Han, L. A. Cooper, and J. L. Guan, “Analysis of FAK-associated signaling pathways in the regulation of cell cycle progression,” FEBS Letters, vol. 486, no. 3, pp. 275–280, 2000.
- G. Michalopoulos, “HGF and liver regeneration,” Gastroenterologia Japonica, vol. 28, pp. 36–39, 1993.
- R. Zarnegar, M. C. DeFrances, D. P. Kost, P. Lindroos, and G. K. Michalopoulos, “Expression of hepatocyte growth factor mRNA in regenerating rat liver after partial hepatectomy,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 559–565, 1991.
- S. Skrtic, K. Wallenius, O. G. lsaksson, et al., “Possible roles of insulin-like growth factor in regulation of physiological and pathophysiological liver growth,” Hormone Research, vol. 55, pp. 1–6, 2001.
- M. L. Liu, W. M. Mars, R. Zarnegar, and G. K. Michalopoulos, “Collagenase pretreatment and the mitogenic effects of hepatocyte growth factor and transforming growth factor-α in adult rat liver,” Hepatology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1521–1527, 1994.
- L. Wang, S. Jian, P. Nan, and Y. Zhong, “Chemical composition of the essential oil of Elephantopus scaber from Southern China,” Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung C, vol. 59, no. 5-6, pp. 327–329, 2004.
- E. S. Ong, “Extraction methods and chemical standardization of botanicals and herbal preparations,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 812, no. 1-2, pp. 23–33, 2004.
- K. Matsumoto and T. Nakamura, “Hepatocyte growth factor: molecular structure and implications for a central role in liver regeneration,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 509–519, 1991.
- C. D. Zois, G. H. Baltayiannis, P. Karayiannis, and E. V. Tsianos, “Systematic review: hepatic fibrosis—regression with therapy,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1175–1187, 2008.
- M. P. Crippa, “Urokinase-type plasminogen activator,” The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 690–694, 2007.
- C. C. Huang, C. P. Lo, C. Y. Chiu, and L. F. Shyur, “Deoxyelephantopin, a novel multifunctional agent, suppresses mammary tumour growth and lung metastasis and doubles survival time in mice,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 159, no. 4, pp. 856–871, 2010.
- J. O. McGee and A. Fallon, “Hepatic cirrhosis—a collagen formative disease?” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 12, pp. 150–157, 1978.
- G. Xu, Q. Liang, Z. Gong, W. Yu, S. He, and L. Xi, “Antitumor activities of the four sesquiterpene lactones from Elephantopus scaber L.,” Experimental Oncology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 106–109, 2006.
- J. A. Ehrenfried, T. C. Ko, E. A. Thompson, and B. M. Evers, “Cell cycle-mediated regulation of hepatic regeneration,” Surgery, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 927–935, 1997.
- E. M. Webber, M. J. FitzGerald, P. I. Brown, M. H. Bartlett, and N. Fausto, “Transforming growth factor-α expression during liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy and toxic injury, and potential interactions between transforming growth factor-α and hepatocyte growth factor,” Hepatology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1422–1431, 1993.