- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 370341, 5 pages
Acupressure at the Meridian Acupoint Xiyangguan (GB33) Influences Near-Infrared Spectroscopic Parameters (Regional Oxygen Saturation) in Deeper Tissue of the Knee in Healthy Volunteers
1Stronach Research Unit for Complementary and Integrative Laser Medicine, Research Unit of Biomedical Engineering in Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine and TCM Research Center Graz, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 29, 8036 Graz, Austria
2Department of Meridians, Institute of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
3Department of Sports Physiology, University of Vienna, 1150 Vienna, Austria
Received 21 December 2012; Accepted 7 January 2013
Academic Editor: Weibo Zhang
Copyright © 2013 Gerhard Litscher et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Litscher, “Bioengineering assessment of acupuncture—part 2: monitoring of microcirculation,” Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 273–294, 2006.
- H. Hsiu, W. C. Hsu, B. H. Chen, and C. L. Hsu, “Differences in the microcirculatory effects of local skin surface contact pressure stimulation between acupoints and nonacupoints: possible relevance to acupressure,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 829–841, 2010.
- H. Hsiu, W. C. Hsu, S. L. Chang, C. L. Hsu, S. M. Huang, and Y. Y. W. Lin, “Microcirculatory effect of different skin contacting pressures around the blood pressure,” Physiological Measurement, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1421–1434, 2008.
- X. Borrat Frigola, J. Mercadal Mercadal, and E. Zavala, “Near-infrared spectroscopy in the postanesthesia recovery care unit: noninvasive monitoring of peripheral perfusion,” Revista Española de Anestesiología y Reanimación, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 364–373, 2010.
- A. J. Fallgatter, A. C. Ehlis, A. Wagener, T. Michel, and M. J. Herrmann, “Near-infrared spectroscopy in psychiatry,” Nervenarzt, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 911–916, 2004.
- J. Yan, Skills with Illustrations of Chinese Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Hunan Science & Technology Press, Changsha, China, 2006.
- G. Litscher, “Effects of acupressure, manual acupuncture and Laserneedle acupuncture on EEG bispectral index and spectral edge frequency in healthy volunteers,” European Journal of Anaesthesiology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 2004.
- G. Litscher and G. Schwarz, Eds., Transcranial Cerebral Oximetry, Pabst Science Publishers, Lengerich, Germany, 1997.
- E. J. Lee and S. K. Frazier, “The efficacy of acupressure for symptom management: a systematic review,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 589–603, 2011.
- S. H. Cho and E. W. Hwang, “Acupressure for primary dysmenorrhoea: a systematic review,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 49–56, 2010.
- J. Abraham, “Acupressure and acupuncture in preventing and managing postoperative nausea and vomiting in adults,” Journal of Perioperative Practice, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 543–551, 2008.
- C. R. Meng, L. Fan, W. B. Fu, and Y. Li, “Clinical research on abdominal acupuncture plus conventional acupuncture for knee osteoarthritis,” Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 249–252, 2009.
- G. Litscher, “Integrative laser medicine and high-tech acupuncture at the Medical University of Graz, Austria, Europe,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 103109, 21 pages, 2012.
- G. Litscher, “Bioengineering assessment of acupuncture—part 5: cerebral near-infrared spectroscopy,” Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 439–457, 2006.
- G. Litscher, L. Wang, and E. Huber, “Changes in near-infrared spectroscopic parameters during manual stimulation with acupuncture needles,” Biomedizinische Technik, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 76–79, 2002.
- G. Litscher and L. Wang, “Cerebral near-infrared spectroscopy and acupuncture—preliminary results,” Biomedizinische Technik, vol. 45, no. 7-8, pp. 215–218, 2000.
- R. Boushel and C. A. Piantadosi, “Near-infrared spectroscopy for monitoring muscle oxygenation,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 168, no. 4, pp. 615–622, 2000.
- J. Kaneko, Y. Sugawara, Y. Matsui, H. Sakata, and N. Kokudo, “Comparison of near-infrared spectroscopy and laser doppler flowmetry for detecting decreased hepatic inflow in the porcine liver,” Journal of Investigative Surgery, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 268–274, 2009.
- B. Shadgan, W. D. Reid, R. Gharakhanlou, L. Stothers, and A. J. MacNab, “Wireless near-infrared spectroscopy of skeletal muscle oxygenation and hemodynamics during exercise and ischemia,” Spectroscopy, vol. 23, no. 5-6, pp. 233–241, 2009.
- G. Spahn, H. Plettenberg, E. Kahl, H. M. Klinger, T. Mückley, and G. O. Hofmann, “Near-infrared (NIR) spectroscopy. A new method for arthroscopic evaluation of low grade degenerated cartilage lesions. Results of a pilot study,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 8, article 47, 2007.
- N. T. Jou and S. X. Ma, “Responses of nitric oxide—cGMP release in acupuncture point to electroacupuncture in human skin in vivo using dermal microdialysis,” Microcirculation, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 434–443, 2009.
- S. H. Hsiao and L. J. Tsai, “A neurovascular transmission model for acupuncture-induced nitric oxide,” JAMS Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 42–50, 2008.
- M. Komori, K. Takada, Y. Tomizawa et al., “Microcirculatory responses to acupuncture stimulation and phototherapy,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 635–640, 2009.
- G. Jamtvedt, K. T. Dahm, I. Holm, and S. Flottorp, “Measuring physiotherapy performance in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a prospective study,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 8, article 145, 2008.