- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 382927, 7 pages
Antimicrobial Potential and Chemical Characterization of Serbian Liverwort (Porella arboris-vitae): SEM and TEM Observations
1Dipartimento di Scienze degli Alimenti, Università degli Studi di Bologna, Sede di Cesena, Piazza G. Goidanich 60, 47023 Cesena, Italy
2Applied Microbiology laboratory, Centre for Rural Development and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi 110 016, India
3Institute of Botany and Botanical Garden “Jevremovac”, Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade, Studentski trg 16, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Received 29 October 2012; Revised 6 December 2012; Accepted 6 December 2012
Academic Editor: Vincenzo De Feo
Copyright © 2013 Amit Kumar Tyagi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. K. Tyagi, A. Malik, D. Gottardi, and M. E. Guerzoni, “Essential oil vapour and negative air ions: a novel tool for food preservation,” Trends in Food Science & Technology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 99–113, 2012.
- P. A. Paranagama, K. H. T. Abeysekera, K. Abeywickrama, and L. Nugaliyadde, “Fungicidal and anti-aflatoxigenic effects of the essential oil of Cymbopogon citratus (DC.) Stapf. (lemongrass) against Aspergillus flavus Link isolated from stored rice,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 86–90, 2003.
- A. K. Tyagi and A. Malik, “Antimicrobial potential and chemical composition of Mentha piperita oil in liquid and vapour phase against food spoiling microorganisms,” Food Control, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1707–1714, 2011.
- A. K. Tyagi and A. Malik, “Antimicrobial potential and chemical composition of Eucalyptus globulus oil in liquid and vapour phase against food spoilage microorganisms,” Food Chemistry, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 228–235, 2011.
- Y. Asakawa, “Liverworts-potential source of medicinal compounds,” Medicinal Aromatic Plants, vol. 1, article e114, p. 3, 2012.
- J. Shiina and S. Nishiyama, “The first total synthesis of acutifolone A, a pinguisane-type sesquiterpenoid isolated from the Japanese liverwort Porella acutifolia subsp. tosana,” Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 46, no. 45, pp. 7683–7686, 2005.
- J. M. Glime, Bryophyte Ecology. Volume 5: Uses, Michigan Technological University and the International Association of Bryologists, 2007.
- M. Toyota, A. Ueda, and Y. Asakawa, “Sesquiterpenoids from the liverwort Porella acutifolia subsp. Tosana,” Phytochemistry, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 567–573, 1991.
- D. N. Quang and Y. Asakawa, “Chemical constituents of the Vietnamese liverwort Porella densifolia,” Fitoterapia, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 659–661, 2010.
- Y. Asakawa, “Recent advances in phytochemistry of bryophytes-acetogenins, terpenoids and bis(bibenzyl)s from selected Japanese, Taiwanese, New Zealand, Argentinean and European liverworts,” Phytochemistry, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 297–312, 2001.
- Y. Asakawa, “Phytochemistry of bryophytes: biologically active terpenoids and aromatic compounds from liverworts,” in Phytochemicals in Human Health Protection, Nutrition, and Plant Defense, J. Romeo, Ed., pp. 319–342, Kluwer Academic, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS), “Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing; 9th International Supplement,” Approved Standard M100-S9, National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, Wayne, Pa, USA, 1999.
- F. Nagashima, K. Suda, and Y. Asakawa, “Cadinane-type sesquiterpenoids from the liverwort Scapania undulata,” Phytochemistry, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1323–1325, 1994.
- S. Dagli, “Three diterpenes from the liverwort Nardia scalaris,” KSU Journal of Science and Engineering, vol. 7, pp. 8–11, 2004.
- A. J. Barlow, B. J. Compton, U. Hertewich, S. D. Lorimer, and R. T. Weavers, “Sesquiterpenes from the New Zealand liverwort Lepidolaena hodgsoniae,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 825–831, 2005.
- R. Paduch, M. Kandefer-Szerszeń, M. Trytek, and J. Fiedurek, “Terpenes: substances useful in human healthcare,” Archivum Immunologiae et Therapiae Experimentalis, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 315–327, 2007.
- I. Komala, T. Ito, F. Nagashima, Y. Yagi, and Y. Asakawa, “Cytotoxic, radical scavenging and antimicrobial activities of sesquiterpenoids from the Tahitian liverwort Mastigophora diclados (Brid.) Nees (Mastigophoraceae),” Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 417–422, 2010.
- D. Bukvicki, D. Gottardi, M. Veljic, P. D. Marin, L. Vannini, and M. E. Guerzoni, “Identification of volatile components of liverwort (Porella cordaeana) extracts using GC/MS-SPME and their antimicrobial activity,” Molecules, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 6982–6995, 2012.
- R. Kramer and W. R. Abraham, “Volatile sesquiterpenes from fungi: what are they good for?” Phytochemistry, vol. 11, pp. 15–37, 2012.
- M. Veljic, A. Ćirić, M. Soković, P. Janaćković, and P. D. Marin, “Antibacterial and antifungal activity of the liverwort (Ptilidium pulcherrimum) methanol extract,” Archives of Biological Sciences, vol. 62, pp. 381–395, 2010.
- A. K. Tyagi and A. Malik, “Antimicrobial action of essential oil vapours and negative air ions against Pseudomonas fluorescens,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 205–210, 2010.
- P. Eaton, J. C. Fernandes, E. Pereira, M. E. Pintado, and F. X. Malcata, “Atomic force microscopy study of the antibacterial effects of chitosans on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus,” Ultramicroscopy, vol. 108, no. 10, pp. 1128–1134, 2008.
- A. K. Tyagi and A. Malik, “Morphostructural damage in food spoiling bacteria due to the lemon grass oil and its vapour: SEM, TEM and AFM investigations,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 692625, 12 pages, 2012.
- I. M. Helander, H. L. Alakomi, K. Latva-Kala et al., “Characterization of the action of selected essential oil components on gram-negative bacteria,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 3590–3595, 1998.