- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 385685, 9 pages
Chinese Medicine Formula “Jian-Pi-Zhi-Dong Decoction” Attenuates Tourette Syndrome via Downregulating the Expression of Dopamine Transporter in Mice
1Department of Pediatrics, Dongfang Hospital, Beijing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100078, China
2Department of Nuclear Medicine, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China
Received 9 October 2012; Revised 9 December 2012; Accepted 3 January 2013
Academic Editor: Ki-Wan Oh
Copyright © 2013 Dao-han Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. H. Bloch and J. F. Leckman, “Clinical course of Tourette syndrome,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 497–501, 2009.
- M. M. Robertson, “The prevalence and epidemiology of Gilles de la Tourette syndrome—part 1: the epidemiological and prevalence studies,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 461–472, 2008.
- J. S. Stern, S. Burza, and M. M. Robertson, “Gilles de la Tourette’s syndrome and its impact in the UK,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 81, no. 95, pp. 112–119, 2005.
- C. Winter and A. Heinz, “Tourette syndrome as a neurotransmitter disorder,” in Encyclopedia of Neuroscience, pp. 1035–1040, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- D. F. Wong, J. R. Brašić, H. S. Singer et al., “Mechanisms of dopaminergic and serotonergic neurotransmission in Tourette syndrome: clues from an in vivo neurochemistry study with PET,” Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1239–1251, 2008.
- T. L. Wallace, G. A. Gudelsky, and C. V. Vorhees, “Methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicity alters locomotor activity, stereotypic behavior, and stimulated dopamine release in the rat,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 19, no. 20, pp. 9141–9148, 1999.
- N. R. Zahniser and A. Sorkin, “Trafficking of dopamine transporters in psychostimulant actions,” Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 411–417, 2009.
- S. R. Jones, R. R. Gainetdinov, R. M. Wightman, and M. G. Caron, “Mechanisms of amphetamine action revealed in mice lacking the dopamine transporter,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1979–1986, 1998.
- L. Q. Wu, S. M. Wang, X. Cui, et al., “Clinical observation of treating Tourette syndrome by combination of Liujunzi Decoction and Xieqing Pill,” Journal of Sichuan of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 81–83, 2006.
- B. I. Diamond, M. G. Reyes, and R. Borison, “A new animal model for Tourette syndrome,” Advances in Neurology, vol. 35, pp. 221–225, 1982.
- H. A. Khan, A. S. Alhomida, and I. A. Arif, “Neurovestibular toxicities of acrylonitrile and iminodipropionitrile in rats: a comparative evaluation of putative mechanisms and target sites,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 124–131, 2009.
- J. M. Zhang, J. H. Tian, Z. Guo, et al., “Automated online preparation of 11C-β-CFT, a dopamine transporter imaging agent,” Chinese Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 142–145, 2005.
- D. T. Stuss and M. P. Alexander, “Executive functions and the frontal lobes: a conceptual view,” Psychological Research, vol. 63, no. 3-4, pp. 289–298, 2000.
- W. R. Kates, M. Frederikse, S. H. Mostofsky et al., “MRI parcellation of the frontal lobe in boys with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or Tourette syndrome,” Psychiatry Research—Neuroimaging, vol. 116, no. 1-2, pp. 63–81, 2002.
- M. Bortolato, K. Chen, and J. C. Shih, “Monoamine oxidase inactivation: from pathophysiology to therapeutics,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 13-14, pp. 1527–1533, 2008.
- A. Feigin, R. Kurlan, M. P. McDermott et al., “A controlled trial of deprenyl in children with Tourette's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder,” Neurology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 965–968, 1996.
- K. Duan and Y. Tang, “Effects of total alkaloids from Pinellia ternate on learning, memory and oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease rat models,” Acta Laboratorium Animalis Scientia Sinica, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 49–52, 2012.
- Q. Ruan, X. X. He, Y. Y. Hu, and F. Li, “Effects of different components of Ligusticum chuanxiong Hort of ferulic acid and ligustrazine on the nervous system of mice,” Chinese Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1087–1090, 2007.
- Z. Q. Zhang, Y. J. Tian, and J. Zhang, “Studies on the antioxidative activity of polysaccharides from radix Saposhnikoviae,” Journal of Chinese Medicinal Materials, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 268–272, 2008.
- L. Yu, Y. Zhang, R. Ma, L. Bao, J. Fang, and T. Yu, “Potent protection of ferulic acid against excitotoxic effects of maternal intragastric administration of monosodium glutamate at a late stage of pregnancy on developing mouse fetal brain,” European Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 170–177, 2006.
- D. D. Xu, R. Hoeven, R. Rong, and W. C. Cho, “Rhynchophylline protects cultured rat neurons against methamphetamine cytotoxicity,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 636091, 7 pages, 2012.
- C. Peng, X. Xie, L. Wang, L. Guo, and T. Hu, “Pharmacodynamic action and mechanism of volatile oil from Rhizoma Ligustici Chuanxiong Hort. on treating headache,” Phytomedicine, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 2009.
- Y. H. Wang, S. Liang, D. S. Xu et al., “Effect and mechanism of senkyunolide I as an anti-migraine compound from Ligusticum chuanxiong,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 261–266, 2011.
- X. Cui, L. Wei, S. M. Wang, et al., “Influence and mechanism of Jianpizhidong Decoction on autonomic activities in mouse model of Tourette's syndrome,” Journal of Beijing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Clinical Medicine), vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2011.
- L. Wei, S. M. Wang, G. X. Yue, et al., “Effects of Jianpizhidong Decoction on dopamine pathway in striatum of TS model mice,” Chinese Journal of Information on Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 38–40, 2009.
- K. C. Berridge, J. W. Aldridge, K. R. Houchard, and X. Zhuang, “Sequential super-stereotypy of an instinctive fixed action pattern in hyper-dopaminergic mutant mice: a model of obsessive compulsive disorder and Tourette's,” BMC Biology, vol. 3, article 4, 2005.
- R. Rivest, P. Falardeau, and T. Di Paolo, “Brain dopamine transporter: gender differences and effect of chronic haloperidol,” Brain Research, vol. 692, no. 1-2, pp. 269–272, 1995.
- N. Ogawa, K. Mizukawa, K. Haba, and H. Sato, “Neurotransmitter and receptor alterations in the rat persistent dyskinesia model induced by iminodipropionitrile,” European Neurology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 31–40, 1990.
- C. Eggers, A. Rothenberger, and U. Berghaus, “Clinical and neurobiological findings in children suffering from tic disease following treatment with tiapride,” European Archives of Psychiatry and Neurological Sciences, vol. 237, no. 4, pp. 223–229, 1988.
- N. Bock, G. H. Moll, M. Wicker et al., “Early administration of tiapride to young rats without long-lasting changes in the development of the dopaminergic system,” Pharmacopsychiatry, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 163–167, 2004.
- B. Scatton, C. Cohen, G. Perrault et al., “The preclinical pharmacologic profile of tiapride,” European Psychiatry, vol. 16, supplement 1, pp. 29s–34s, 2001.
- V. Roessner, K. J. Plessen, A. Rothenberger, et al., “European clinical guidelines for Tourette syndrome and other tic disorders—part II: pharmacological treatment,” European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 173–196, 2011.
- R. A. Bressan, H. M. Jones, and L. S. Pilowsky, “Atypical antipsychotic drugs and tardive dyskinesia: relevance of D 2 receptor affinity,” Journal of Psychopharmacology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 124–127, 2004.