- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 402585, 5 pages
Autonomic Conditions in Tinnitus and Implications for Korean Medicine
1Department of Otorhinolaryngology of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University Hospital at Gangdong, Seoul, Republic of Korea
2Department of Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology and Dermatology of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
3Department of Human Informatics of Korean Medicine, Interdisciplinary Programs, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
4Kyung Hee Center for Clinical Research and Drug Development, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
5Department of Preventive Medicine, Korean Medical College, Kyung Hee University Graduate School, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Received 2 April 2013; Revised 7 June 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: Seong-Gyu Ko
Copyright © 2013 Eun Ji Choi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. J. Eggermont and L. E. Roberts, “The neuroscience of tinnitus,” Trends in Neurosciences, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 676–682, 2004.
- A. J. Heller, “Classification and epidemiology of tinnitus,” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 239–248, 2003.
- J. W. Koo, W. C. Lee, H. Kim, et al., “Prevalence of tinnitus and hearing thresholds of a non-noise-exposed population with and without tinnitus,” Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 323–331, 1999.
- A. Davis and A. E. Rafaie, “Epidemiology of tinnitus,” in Tinnitus Handbook, R. S. Tyler, Ed., pp. 1–23, Singular, Thomson Learning, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2000.
- P. Martinez Devesa, A. Waddell, R. Perera, and M. Theodoulou, “Cognitive behavioural therapy for tinnitus,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD005233, 2007.
- J. Shargorodsky, G. C. Curhan, and W. R. Farwell, “Prevalence and characteristics of tinnitus among US adults,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 123, no. 8, pp. 711–718, 2010.
- L. M. Luxon, “Tinnitus: its causes, diagnosis, and treatment,” British Medical Journal, vol. 306, no. 6891, pp. 1490–1491, 1993.
- B. I. Han, H. W. Lee, T. Y. Kim, J. S. Lim, and K. S. Shin, “Tinnitus: characteristics, causes, mechanisms, and treatments,” Journal of Clinical Neurology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 11–19, 2009.
- D. J. Hoare and D. A. Hall, “Clinical guidelines and practice: a commentary on the complexity of tinnitus management,” Evaluation and the Health Professions, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 413–420, 2011.
- P. J. Jastreboff and J. W. Hazell, Tinnitus Retraining Therapy: Implementing the Neurophysiological Model, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2004.
- M. Malik, J. T. Bigger, A. J. Camm, et al., “Heart rate variability: standards of measurement, physiological interpretation, and clinical use,” Circulation, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1043–1065, 1996.
- E. Datzov, S. Danev, H. Haralanov, V. Naidenova, T. Sachanska, and A. Savov, “Tinnitus, heart rate variability, and some biochemical indicators,” International Tinnitus Journal, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 20–23, 1999.
- E. van der Loo, M. Congedo, S. Vanneste, P. V. de Heyning, and D. de Ridder, “Insular lateralization in tinnitus distress,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 191–194, 2011.
- F. Yasuma and J.-I. Hayano, “Respiratory sinus arrhythmia: why does the heartbeat synchronize with respiratory rhythm?” Chest, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 683–690, 2004.
- N. Duan, “Smearing estimate: a nonparametric retransformation method,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 78, no. 383, pp. 605–610, 1983.
- S. Matthews, H. Jelinek, S. Vafaeiafraz, and C. S. McLachlan, “Heart rate stability and decreased parasympathetic heart rate variability in healthy young adults during perceived stress,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 156, no. 3, pp. 337–338, 2012.
- B. Björ, L. Burström, M. Karlsson, T. Nilsson, U. Näslund, and U. Wiklund, “Acute effects on heart rate variability when exposed to hand transmitted vibration and noise,” International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 193–199, 2007.
- R. Yanagihashi, M. Ohira, T. Kimura, and T. Fujiwara, “Physiological and psychological assessment of sound,” International Journal of Biometeorology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 157–161, 1997.
- L. Tzaneva, S. Danev, and R. Nikolova, “Investigation of noise exposure effect on heart rate variability parameters,” Central European Journal of Public Health, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 130–132, 2001.
- Y. B. Kim, “Clinical observations for evaluation protocol on tinnitus,” Korean Journal of Oriental Physiology & Pathology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 403–407, 2002.
- J. H. Jeon, E. H. Choi, and Y. I. Kim, “Acupuncture combined with herbal medicine for the treatment of tinnitus: clinical study in 11 cases,” The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 197–203, 2008.
- M. S. Lee, H. J. Huh, B. G. Kim et al., “Effects of Qi-training on heart rate variability,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 463–470, 2002.
- J. D. Wang, T. B. J. Kuo, and C. C. H. Yang, “An alternative method to enhance vagal activities and suppress sympathetic activities in humans,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 100, no. 1-2, pp. 90–95, 2002.
- Y. Kurono, M. Minagawa, T. Ishigami, A. Yamada, T. Kakamu, and J. Hayano, “Acupuncture to Danzhong but not to Zhongting increases the cardiac vagal component of heart rate variability,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 161, no. 1-2, pp. 116–120, 2011.