- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 416510, 6 pages
The Effects of Integrative In-Patient Treatment on Patients’ Quality of Life: A Meta-Analysis
1Center of Integrative Medicine, Witten/Herdecke University, Gerhard-Kienle-Weg 4, 58313 Herdecke, Germany
2Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine, Kliniken Essen-Mitte, University of Duisburg-Essen, 45276 Essen, Germany
3Department of True Naturopathy, Blankenstein Hospital, Im Vogelsang 5-11, 45527 Hattingen, Germany
Received 31 August 2012; Accepted 26 December 2012
Academic Editor: Andreas Michalsen
Copyright © 2013 Thomas Ostermann et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Roberti di Sarsina, “The social demand for a medicine focused on the person: the contribution of CAM to healthcare and healthgenesis,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 2007.
- S. Vohra, K. Feldman, B. Johnston, K. Waters, and H. Boon, “Integrating complementary and alternative medicine into academic medical centers: experience and perceptions of nine leading centers in North America,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 5, article 78, 2005.
- G. Dobos, N. Altner, S. Lange et al., “Mind-body medicine as a part of German integrative medicine,” Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 722–728, 2006.
- M. Bäcker, F. Schaefer, N. Siegler et al., “Impact of stimulation dose and personality on autonomic and psychological effects induced by acupuncture,” Autonomic Neuroscience, vol. 170, no. 1-2, pp. 48–55, 2012.
- M. Bäcker, R. Lüdtke, D. Afra et al., “Effectiveness of leech therapy in chronic lateral epicondylitis: a randomized controlled trial,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 442–447, 2011.
- A. Michalsen, B. Hoffmann, S. Moebus, M. Bäcker, J. Langhorst, and G. J. Dobos, “Incorporation of fasting therapy in an integrative medicine ward: evaluation of outcome, safety, and effects on lifestyle adherence in a large prospective cohort study,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 601–607, 2005.
- R. Lauche, H. Cramer, C. Hohmann et al., “The effect of traditional cupping on pain and mechanical thresholds in patients with chronic nonspecific neck pain: a randomised controlled pilot study,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 429718, 10 pages, 2012.
- M. Süsskind, P. A. Thürmann, C. Lüke et al., “Adverse drug reactions in a complementary medicine hospital: a prospective, intensified surveillance study,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 320760, 8 pages, 2012.
- G. S. Kienle, H. U. Albonico, L. Fischer et al., “Complementary therapy systems and their integrative evaluation,” Explore, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 175–187, 2011.
- H. Kusche, “Naturopathy in hospitals, results and perspectives,” Hippokrates, vol. 26, no. 18, pp. 548–550, 1955.
- T. Romeyke and H. Stummer, “A study of costs and length of stay of inpatient naturopathy—evidence from Germany,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 90–95, 2011.
- T. Romeyke and H. Stummer, “Clinical pathways as instruments for risk and cost management in hospitals—a discussion paper,” Global Journal of Health Science, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 50–59, 2012.
- S. Moritz, M. F. Liu, B. Rickhi, T. J. Xu, P. Paccagnan, and H. Quan, “Reduced health resource use after acupuncture for low-back pain,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1015–1019, 2011.
- A. M. Beer, T. Ostermann, and P. F. Matthiessen, “Changed quality of life by in-patient naturopathic treatment results of the “Blankenstein Model”,” Gesundheitswesen, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 242–247, 2001.
- T. Ostermann, H. Zillmann, C. K. Raak, A. Buessing, and P. F. Matthiessen, “CAMbase—a XML-based bibliographical database on Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM),” Biomedical Digital Libraries, vol. 4, article 2, 2007.
- L. Manchikanti, S. Datta, H. S. Smith, and J. A. Hirsch, “Evidence-based medicine, systematic reviews, and guidelines in interventional pain management: part 6. Systematic reviews and meta-analyses of observational studies,” Pain Physician, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 819–850, 2009.
- W. P. Dunlap, J. M. Cortina, J. B. Vaslow, and M. J. Burke, “Meta-analysis of experiments with matched groups or repeated measures designs,” Psychological Methods, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 170–177, 1996.
- M. Borenstein, L. V. Hedges, J. T. Higgins, and H. Rothstein, Introduction to Meta-Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- D. Melchart, W. Weidenhammer, K. Linde, and R. Saller, “"Quality profiling" for complementary medicine: the example of a hospital for traditional Chinese medicine,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 193–206, 2003.
- B. Hoffmann, S. Moebus, A. Michalsen et al., “Health-related control belief and quality of life in chronically ill patients after a behavioral intervention in an integrative medicine clinic—an observational study,” Forschende Komplementarmedizin und Klassische Naturheilkunde, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 159–170, 2004.
- T. Ostermann and P. F. Matthiessen, Naturheilkunde in der Stationären Akutversorgung: Evaluation des Blankensteiner Modells, VAS-Verlag für Akademische Schriften, Frankfurt, Germany, 2005.
- W. Weidenhammer, A. Wessel, and D. Melchart, “Quality profile of a CAM rehabilitation clinic—part 2: patients and outcome profile,” Forschende Komplementarmedizin, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 335–345, 2007.
- M. Buchner, E. Neubauer, A. Zahlten-Hinguranage, and M. Schiltenwolf, “Age as a predicting factor in the therapy outcome of multidisciplinary treatment of patients with chronic low back pain—a prospective longitudinal clinical study in 405 patients,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 385–392, 2007.
- J. M. Greeson, S. Rosenzweig, S. C. Halbert, I. S. Cantor, M. T. Keener, and G. C. Brainard, “Integrative medicine research at an academic medical center: patient characteristics and health-related quality-of-life outcomes,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 763–767, 2008.
- K. R. Wiebelitz, W. Teske, T. Henke, R. Knobloch, C. Winnemoller, and A. M. Beer, “Comparison of treatment expenses of naturopathic and orthopedic in-patient treatment,” MMW-Fortschritte der Medizin, vol. 151, supplement 4, pp. 159–168, 2010.
- R. Stange, U. Hackermeier, G. Franzen, T. Ostermann, B. Uehleke, and A. Michalsen, “P02.172. 1-year sustaining efficacy of multidimensional therapy for inpatients with different conditions of chronic musculoskeletal pain,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 12, supplement 1, p. 228, 2012.
- M. Birtane, K. Uzunca, N. Taştekin, and H. Tuna, “The evaluation of quality of life in fibromyalgia syndrome: a comparison with rheumatoid arthritis by using SF-36 Health Survey,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 679–684, 2007.
- P. C. Langley, “The societal burden of pain in Germany: health-related quality-of-life, health status and direct medical costs,” Journal of Medical Economics, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1201–1215, 2012.
- G. R. Falsarella, I. B. Coimbra, A. L. Neri et al., “Impact of rheumatic diseases and chronic joint symptoms on quality of life in the elderly,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. e77–e82, 2012.
- A. J. Vickers, A. M. Cronin, A. C. Maschino et al., “Individual patient data meta-analysis of acupuncture for chronic pain: protocol of the Acupuncture Trialists' Collaboration,” Trials, vol. 11, article 90, 2010.
- T. Rudolph, “Naturheilkunde und Traditionelle Chinesische Medizin in einem Akutkrankenhaus,” in Rut- Und Klaus-Bahlsen-Stiftung (Hrsg.): Im Dienste Neuer Ideen. Klaus Bahlsen und seine Stiftung., pp. 163–169, Wallstein, Göttingen, Germany, 2011.