- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 427265, 7 pages
Objectifying Specific and Nonspecific Effects of Acupuncture: A Double-Blinded Randomised Trial in Osteoarthritis of the Knee
1Department of Internal Medicine, Heidelberg University Hospital, Im Neuenheimer Feld 410, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
2Centre for Chinese Medicine, Universitätsallee 3, 28359 Bremen, Germany
3German Society for Traditional Chinese Medicine (DGTCM), Heidelberg University, Karlsruher Straße 12, 69126 Heidelberg, Germany
4Institute of Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine, Mannheim Medical Faculty, Heidelberg University, Ludolf-Krehl-Straße 7-11, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
5Shen-Centre for Traditional Chinese Medicine, Südliche Stadtmauer Straße 25, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
6Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
7Abel Salazar Biomedical Sciences Institute, University of Porto, Rua de Jorge Viterbo Ferreira No. 228, 4050-313 Porto, Portugal
Received 23 September 2012; Accepted 13 December 2012
Academic Editor: Jaung-Geng Lin
Copyright © 2013 Max Karner et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Lawrence, C. G. Helmick, F. C. Arnett, et al., “Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and selected musculoskeletal disorders in the United States,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 778–799, 1998.
- D. T. Felson, R. C. Lawrence, P. A. Dieppe et al., “Osteoarthritis: new insights. Part 1: the disease and its risk factors,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 133, no. 8, pp. 635–646, 2000.
- A. Pendleton, N. Arden, M. Dougados et al., “EULAR recommendations for the management of knee osteoarthritis: report of a task force of the Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutic Trials(ESCISIT),” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 936–944, 2000.
- S. Hernandez-Diaz and L. A. Garcia-Rodriguez, “Epidemiologic assessment of the safety of conventional nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 110, Supplement 1, no. 3, pp. 20S–27S, 2001.
- R. B. Bausell, W. L. Lee, and B. M. Berman, “Demographic and health-related correlates of visits to complementary and alternative medical providers,” Medical Care, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 190–196, 2001.
- B. M. Berman, R. B. Bausell, and W. L. Lee, “Use and referral patterns for 22 complementary and alternative medical therapies by members of the American College of Rheumatology: results of a national survey,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 162, no. 7, pp. 766–770, 2002.
- D. M. Eisenberg, R. B. Davis, S. L. Ettner et al., “Trends in alternative medicine use in the United States, 1990–1997: results of a follow-up national survey,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 280, no. 18, pp. 1569–1575, 1998.
- B. M. Berman, L. Lao, P. Langenberg, W. L. Lee, A. M. K. Gilpin, and M. C. Hochberg, “Effectiveness of acupuncture as adjunctive therapy in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, controlled trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 141, no. 12, pp. 901–910, 2004.
- C. Witt, B. Brinkhaus, S. Jena et al., “Acupuncture in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomised trial,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9480, pp. 136–143, 2005.
- J. Vas, C. Méndez, E. Perea-Milla et al., “Acupuncture as a complementary therapy to the pharmacological treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: randomised controlled trial,” British Medical Journal, vol. 329, no. 7476, pp. 1216–1219, 2004.
- H. P. Scharf, U. Mansmann, K. Streitberger et al., “Acupuncture and knee osteoarthritis: a three-armed randomized trial,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 12–20, 2006.
- J. Kleinhenz, K. Streitberger, J. Windeler, A. Gußbacher, G. Mavridis, and E. Martin, “Randomised clinical trial comparing the effects of acupuncture and a newly designed placebo needle in rotator cuff tendinitis,” Pain, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 235–241, 1999.
- K. Streitberger and A. Vickers, “Placebo in acupuncture trials,” Pain, vol. 109, no. 1-2, p. 195, 2004.
- A. Moore and H. McQuay, “Acupuncture: not just needles?” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9480, pp. 100–101, 2005.
- I. Boutron, F. Tubach, B. Giraudeau, and P. Ravaud, “Methodological differences in clinical trials evaluating nonpharmacological and pharmacological treatments of hip and knee osteoarthritis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 290, no. 8, pp. 1062–1070, 2003.
- C. M. Witt, B. Brinkhaus, and S. N. Willich, “Acupuncture: clinical studies on efficacy and effectiveness in patients with chronic pain,” Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 736–742, 2006.
- J. Hummelsberger, E. Ernst, H. J. Greten, and F. Bahr, “After large studies by federal health insurance: what is the future of acupuncture?” MMW-Fortschritte der Medizin, vol. 147, no. 25, pp. 12–14, 2005.
- D. Kalauokalani, D. C. Cherkin, and K. J. Sherman, “A comparison of physician and nonphysician acupuncture treatment for chronic low back pain,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 406–411, 2005.
- L. Zheng and K. Faber, “Review of the Chinese medical approach to the management of fibromyalgia,” Current Pain and Headache Reports, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 307–312, 2005.
- D. G. Altman, K. F. Schulz, and D. Moher, “Turning a blind eye: testing the success of blinding and the CONSORT statement,” British Medical Journal, vol. 328, no. 7448, pp. 1135–1136, 2004.
- K. Huwiler-Müntener, P. Jüni, C. Junker, and M. Egger, “Quality of reporting of randomized trials as a measure of methodologic quality,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 287, no. 21, pp. 2801–2804, 2002.
- J. Greten Kursbuch, Traditionelle Chinesische Medizin, Georg Thieme, Stuttgart, Germany, 2003.
- B. Brinkhaus, C. Becker-Witt, S. Jena et al., “Acupuncture randomized trials (ART) in patients with chronic low back pain and osteoarthritis of the knee: design and protocols,” Forschende Komplementarmedizin und Klassische Naturheilkunde, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 185–191, 2003.
- G. Stucki, D. Meier, S. Stucki et al., “Evaluation of a German version of the WOMAC (Western Ontario and McMaster Universities) osteoarthritis index,” Zeitschrift fur Rheumatologie, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 40–49, 1996.
- S. L. Whitehouse, E. A. Lingard, J. N. Katz, and I. D. Learmonth, “Development and testing of a reduced WOMAC function scale,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 706–711, 2003.
- L. Brosseau, S. Balmer, M. Tousignant et al., “Intra- and intertester reliability and criterion validity of the parallelogram and universal goniometers for measuring maximum active knee flexion and extension of patients with knee restrictions,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 396–402, 2001.
- L. Brosseau, M. Tousignant, J. Budd et al., “Intratester and intertester reliability and criterion validity of the parallelogram and universal goniometers for active knee flexion in healthy subjects,” Physiotherapy Research International, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 150–166, 1997.
- C. S. Enwemeka, “Radiographic verification of knee goniometry,” Scandinavian Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 47–49, 1986.
- P. P. Gogia, J. H. Braatz, S. J. Rose, and B. J. Norton, “Reliability and validity of goniometric measurements at the knee,” Physical Therapy, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 192–195, 1987.
- H. Goldstein, M. J. R. Healy, and J. Rasbash, “Multilevel time series models with applications to repeated measures data,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 13, no. 16, pp. 1643–1655, 1994.
- H. Goldstein, W. Browne, and J. Rasbash, “Multilevel modelling of medical data,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 21, no. 21, pp. 3291–3315, 2002.
- M. M. L. Ng, M. C. P. Leung, and D. M. Y. Poon, “The effects of electro-acupuncture and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation on patients with painful osteoarthritic knees: a randomized controlled trial with follow-up evaluation,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 641–649, 2003.
- G. Ordeberg, “Characterization of joint pain in human OA,” Novartis Foundation Symposium, vol. 260, pp. 105–121, 2004.
- T. J. Kaptchuk, W. B. Stason, R. B. Davis et al., “Sham device v inert pill: randomised controlled trial of two placebo treatments,” British Medical Journal, vol. 332, no. 7538, pp. 391–397, 2006.
- L. H. Yahia, P. Pigeon, and E. A. DesRosiers, “Viscoelastic properties of the human lumbodorsal fascia,” Journal of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 425–429, 1993.
- B. Hinz and G. Gabbiani, “Mechanisms of force generation and transmission by myofibroblasts,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 538–546, 2003.
- R. Schleip, I. L. Naylor, D. Ursu et al., “Passive muscle stiffness may be influenced by active contractility of intramuscular connective tissue,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 66–71, 2006.
- H. M. Langevin, D. L. Churchill, and M. J. Cipolla, “Mechanical signaling through connective tissue: a mechanism for the therapeutic effect of acupuncture,” FASEB Journal, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 2275–2282, 2001.