- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 439690, 12 pages
Metabolomic Study of Collagen-Induced Arthritis in Rats and the Interventional Effects of Huang-Lian-Jie-Du-Tang, a Traditional Chinese Medicine
1School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, 325 Guo-He Road, Shanghai 200433, China
2College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Jilin Agricultural University, Changchun 130118, China
3School of Pharmacy, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200030, China
Received 18 September 2012; Revised 28 January 2013; Accepted 28 January 2013
Academic Editor: Wei Jia
Copyright © 2013 Rongcai Yue et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. C. Arnett, S. M. Edworthy, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 315–324, 1988.
- D. L. Scott, F. Wolfe, and T. W. J. Huizinga, “Rheumatoid arthritis,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9746, pp. 1094–1108, 2010.
- M. A. van Maanen, M. C. Lebre, T. van der Poll et al., “Stimulation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors attenuates collagen-induced arthritis in mice,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 114–122, 2009.
- W. Q. Lai, A. W. Irwan, H. H. Goh, A. J. Melendez, I. B. McInnes, and B. P. Leung, “Distinct roles of sphingosine kinase 1 and 2 in murine collagen-induced arthritis,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 183, no. 3, pp. 2097–2103, 2009.
- H. Kelchtermans, L. Geboes, T. Mitera, D. Huskens, G. Leclercq, and P. Matthys, “Activated CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells inhibit osteoclastogenesis and collagen-induced arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 744–750, 2009.
- L. G. M. van Baarsen, C. A. Wijbrandts, T. C. G. Timmer, T. C. T. M. van der Pouw Kraan, P. P. Tak, and C. L. Verweij, “Synovial tissue heterogeneity in rheumatoid arthritis in relation to disease activity and biomarkers in peripheral blood,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 1602–1607, 2010.
- V. C. Willis, A. M. Gizinski, N. K. Banda et al., “N-α-benzoyl-N5-(2-chloro-1-iminoethyl)-L-ornithine amide, a protein arginine deiminase inhibitor, reduces the severity of murine collagen-induced arthritis,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 186, no. 7, pp. 4396–4404, 2011.
- A. Augello, R. Tasso, S. M. Negrini, R. Cancedda, and G. Pennesi, “Cell therapy using allogeneic bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells prevents tissue damage in collagen-induced arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 1175–1186, 2007.
- C. Salliot and D. van der Heijde, “Long-term safety of methotrexate monotherapy in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic literature research,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 1100–1104, 2009.
- N. Alcorn, S. Saunders, and R. Madhok, “Benefit-risk assessment of leflunomide: an appraisal of leflunomide in rheumatoid arthritis 10 years after licensing,” Drug Safety, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1123–1134, 2009.
- D. Schaffer, T. Florin, C. Eagle et al., “Risk of serious NSAID-related gastrointestinal events during long-term exposure: a systematic review,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 185, no. 9, pp. 501–506, 2006.
- P. A. Scott, G. H. Kingsley, C. M. Smith, E. H. Choy, and D. L. Scott, “Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and myocardial infarctions: comparative systematic review of evidence from observational studies and randomised controlled trials,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 1296–1304, 2007.
- C. Gieger, L. Geistlinger, E. Altmaier et al., “Genetics meets metabolomics: a genome-wide association study of metabolite profiles in human serum,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 4, no. 11, Article ID e1000282, 2008.
- A. M. Weljie, R. Dowlatabadi, B. J. Miller, H. J. Vogel, and F. R. Jirik, “An inflammatory arthritis-associated metabolite biomarker pattern revealed by 1H NMR spectroscopy,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 3456–3464, 2007.
- M. B. Lauridsen, H. Bliddal, R. Christensen et al., “1H NMR spectroscopy-based interventional metabolic phenotyping: a cohort study of rheumatoid arthritis patients,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 4545–4553, 2010.
- X. Li, S. Yang, Y. Qiu et al., “Urinary metabolomics as a potentially novel diagnostic and stratification tool for knee osteoarthritis,” Metabolomics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 109–118, 2010.
- G. Theodoridis, H. G. Gika, and I. D. Wilson, “LC-MS-based methodology for global metabolite profiling in metabonomics/metabolomics,” Trends in Analytical Chemistry, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 251–260, 2008.
- A. Nordström, G. O'Maille, C. Qin, and G. Siuzdak, “Nonlinear data alignment for UPLC-MS and HPLC-MS based metabolomics: quantitative analysis of endogenous and exogenous metabolites in human serum,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 78, no. 10, pp. 3289–3295, 2006.
- S. Dou, L. Liu, P. Jiang, W. Zhang, and R. Liu, “LC-DAD and LC-ESI-MS chromatographic fingerprinting and quantitative analysis for evaluation of the quality of Huang-Lian-Jie-Du-Tang,” Chromatographia, vol. 69, no. 7-8, pp. 659–664, 2009.
- Y. Hu, P. Jiang, S. Wang et al., “Plasma pharmacochemistry based approach to screening potential bioactive components in Huang-Lian-Jie-Du-Tang using high performance liquid chromatography coupled with mass spectrometric detection,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 728–735, 2012.
- H. Zeng, S. Dou, J. Zhao et al., “The inhibitory activities of the components of Huang-Lian-Jie-Du-Tang (HLJDT) on eicosanoid generation via lipoxygenase pathway,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 561–568, 2011.
- H. Zeng, X. Liu, S. Dou et al., “Huang-Lian-Jie-Du-Tang exerts anti-inflammatory effects in rats through inhibition of nitric oxide production and eicosanoid biosynthesis via the lipoxygenase pathway,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1699–1707, 2009.
- R. Yue, L. Zhao, Y. Hu et al., “Rapid-resolution liquid chromatography TOF-MS for urine metabolomic analysis of collagen-induced arthritis in rats and its applications,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 145, no. 2, pp. 465–475, 2013.
- C. A. Hitchon and H. S. El-Gabalawy, “Oxidation in rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 265–278, 2004.
- G. Baskol, H. Demir, M. Baskol et al., “Investigation of protein oxidation and lipid peroxidation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Cell Biochemistry and Function, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 307–311, 2006.
- H. R. Griffiths, “Is the generation of neo-antigenic determinants by free radicals central to the development of autoimmune rheumatoid disease?” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 544–549, 2008.
- K. Hadjigogos, “The role of free radicals in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis,” Panminerva Medica, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2003.
- L. Gail Darlington and T. W. Stone, “Antioxidants and fatty acids in the amelioration of rheumatoid arthritis and related disorders,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 251–269, 2001.
- E. A. Ostrakhovitch and I. B. Afanas'ev, “Oxidative stress in rheumatoid arthritis leukocytes: suppression by rutin and other antioxidants and chelators,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 743–746, 2001.
- B. N. Ames, R. Cathcart, E. Schwiers, and P. Hochstein, “Uric acid provides an antioxidant defense in humans against oxidant- and radical-caused aging and cancer: a hypothesis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 78, no. 11, pp. 6858–6862, 1981.
- M. Grootveld and B. Halliwell, “Measurement of allantoin and uric acid in human body fluids. A potential index of free-radical reactions in vivo?” Biochemical Journal, vol. 243, no. 3, pp. 803–808, 1987.
- G. K. Glantzounis, E. C. Tsimoyiannis, A. M. Kappas, and D. A. Galaris, “Uric acid and oxidative stress,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 11, no. 32, pp. 4145–4151, 2005.
- A. M. Cohen, R. E. Aberdroth, and P. Hochstein, “Inhibition of free radical-induced DNA damage by uric acid,” FEBS Letters, vol. 174, no. 1, pp. 147–150, 1984.
- K. J. A. Davies, A. Sevanian, S. F. Muakkassah-Kelly, and P. Hochstein, “Uric acid-iron ion complexes. A new aspect of the antioxidant functions of uric acid,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 235, no. 3, pp. 747–754, 1986.
- N. Tastekin, N. Aydogdu, D. Dokmeci et al., “Protective effects of l-carnitine and alpha-lipoic acid in rats with adjuvant arthritis,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 303–310, 2007.
- C. R. Bruce, A. J. Hoy, N. Turner et al., “Overexpression of carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1 in skeletal muscle is sufficient to enhance fatty acid oxidation and improve high-fat diet-induced insulin resistance,” Diabetes, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 550–558, 2009.
- F. Le Borgne, A. Ben Mohamed, M. Logerot, E. Garnier, and J. Demarquoy, “Changes in carnitine octanoyltransferase activity induce alteration in fatty acid metabolism,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 409, no. 4, pp. 699–704, 2011.
- A. Kllzllltunc, S. Cogalgil, and L. Cerrahoglu, “Carnitine and antioxidants levels in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 441–445, 1998.
- S. Krähenbühl, B. Willer, P. Brühlmann, H. Hoppeler, and G. Stucki, “Carnitine homeostasis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 279, no. 1-2, pp. 35–45, 1999.
- A. Bruusgaard and R. B. Andersen, “Effect of an intravenously administered bile acid (chenodeoxycholic acid) on rheumatoid arthritis,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 169–173, 1975.
- Y. Dai, K. Miki, T. Fukuoka et al., “Suppression of neuropeptides' mRNA expression by herbal medicines in a rat model of peripheral inflammation,” Life Sciences, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 1999.
- S. C. Lin, C. C. Lin, F. J. Lu, Y. H. Lin, and C. H. Chen, “Protective and therapeutic effects of huanglian-jie-du-tang on hepatotoxin-induced liver injuries,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 24, no. 3-4, pp. 219–229, 1996.