- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 493038, 8 pages
Acupuncture or Acupressure at the Sanyinjiao (SP6) Acupoint for the Treatment of Primary Dysmenorrhea: A Meta-Analysis
1Department of Nursing, Hsin Sheng College of Medical Care and Management, No. 418, Gaoping Section, Jhongfong Road, Longtan Township, Taoyuan Country 32544, Taiwan
2Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Taipei Medical University Hospital, No. 252, Wu-Hsing Street, Taipei 11031, Taiwan
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, No. 250, Wu-Hsing Street, Taipei 11031, Taiwan
4Graduate Institute of Integration of Traditional Chinese Medicine with Western Nursing, National Taipei University of Nursing and Health Sciences, No. 365 Ming-Te Road, Beitou, Taipei 11211, Taiwan
Received 10 October 2012; Revised 8 January 2013; Accepted 17 January 2013
Academic Editor: Lixing Lao
Copyright © 2013 Ma-Na Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. French, “Dysmenorrhea,” American Family Physician, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 285–292, 2005.
- A. S. Coco, “Primary dysmenorrhea,” American Family Physician, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 489–496, 1999.
- S. E. Daniels, S. Torri, and P. J. Desjardins, “Valdecoxib for treatment of primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized, double-blind comparison with placebo and naproxen,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 2005.
- M. Y. Dawood, “Primary dysmenorrhea: advances in pathogenesis and management,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 428–441, 2006.
- D. J. Jamieson and J. F. Steege, “The prevalence of dysmenorrhea, dyspareunia, pelvic pain, and irritable bowel syndrome in primary care practices,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 55–58, 1996.
- B. Andersch and I. Milsom, “An epidemiologic study of young women with dysmenorrhea,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 144, no. 6, pp. 655–660, 1982.
- G. Sundell, I. Milsom, and B. Andersch, “Factors influencing the prevalence and severity of dysmenorrhoea in young women,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. 588–594, 1990.
- W. Y. Zhang and A. Li Wan Po, “Efficacy of minor analgesics in primary dysmenorrhoea: a systematic review,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 105, no. 7, pp. 780–789, 1998.
- M. D. Akin, K. W. Weingand, D. A. Hengehold, M. B. Goodale, R. T. Hinkle, and R. P. Smith, “Continuous low-level topical heat in the treatment of dysmenorrhea,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 343–349, 2001.
- S. H. Cho and E. W. Hwang, “Acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhoea: a systematic review,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 509–521, 2010.
- S. H. Cho and E. W. Hwang, “Acupressure for primary dysmenorrhoea: a systematic review,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 49–56, 2010.
- A. R. White, “A review of controlled trials of acupuncture for women's reproductive health care,” Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 233–236, 2003.
- H. Yang, C. Z. Liu, X. Chen et al., “Systematic review of clinical trials of acupuncture-related therapies for primary dysmenorrhea,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 87, no. 11, pp. 1114–1122, 2008.
- C. A. Smith, X. Zhu, L. He, and J. Song, “Acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhoea,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 1, Article ID CD007854, 2011.
- S. Gharloghi, S. Torkzahrani, A. R. Akbarzadeh, and R. Heshmat, “The effects of acupressure on severity of primary dysmenorrhea,” Patient Preference and Adherence, vol. 6, pp. 137–142, 2012.
- Y.-Q. Liu, L.-X. Ma, J.-M. Xing et al., “Does traditional chinese medicine pattern affect acupoint specific effect? Analysis of data from a multicenter, randomized, controlled trial for primary dysmenorrhea,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 43–49, 2013.
- C. Z. Liu, J. P. Xie, L. P. Wang et al., “Immediate analgesia effect of single point acupuncture in primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized controlled trial,” Pain Medicine, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 300–307, 2011.
- Y. X. Ma, L. X. Ma, X. L. Liu et al., “A comparative study on the immediate effects of electroacupuncture at Sanyinjiao (SP6), Xuanzhong (GB39) and a non-meridian point, on menstrual pain and uterine arterial blood flow, in primary dysmenorrhea patients,” Pain Medicine, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1564–1575, 2010.
- G. X. Shi, C. Z. Liu, J. Zhu, L. P. Guan, D. J. Wang, and M. M. Wu, “Effects of acupuncture at Sanyinjiao (SP6) on prostaglandin levels in primary dysmenorrhea patients,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 258–261, 2011.
- Y. P. Yu, L. X. Ma, Y. X. Ma et al., “Immediate effect of acupuncture at Sanyinjiao (SP6) and Xuanzhong (GB39) on Uterine arterial blood flow in primary dysmenorrhea,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1073–1078, 2010.
- N. Mirbagher-Ajorpaz, M. Adib-Hajbaghery, and F. Mosaebi, “The effects of acupressure on primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized controlled trial,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 33–36, 2011.
- F. Kashefi, S. Ziyadlou, M. Khajehei, A. R. Ashraf, A. Reza Fadaee, and P. Jafari, “Effect of acupressure at the Sanyinjiao point on primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized controlled trial,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 198–202, 2010.
- C. L. Wong, K. Y. Lai, and H. M. Tse, “Effects of SP6 acupressure on pain and menstrual distress in young women with dysmenorrhea,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 64–69, 2010.
- H. M. Chen and C. H. Chen, “Effects of acupressure at the Sanyinjiao point on primary dysmenorrhoea,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 380–387, 2004.
- J. P. T. Higgins and S. Green, Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester, UK, 2008.
- G. Lefebvre, O. Pinsonneault, V. Antao et al., “Primary dysmenorrhea consensus guideline,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1117–1146, 2005.