- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 516727, 10 pages
Antioxidant Activity and Cardioprotective Effect of a Nonalcoholic Extract of Vaccinium meridionale Swartz during Ischemia-Reperfusion in Rats
1Laboratorio de Ciencia de Alimentos, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Sede Medellín, Medellín, Colombia
2CONICET, Centro de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Facultad de Ciencias Médicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, La Plata, Argentina
3Departament de Farmacologia, Facultat de Farmàcia, Universitat de València, Burjassot, 46100 Valencia, Spain
4Cátedra de Farmacología Básica, Facultad de Ciencias Médicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata and CIC Provincia de Buenos Aires, La Plata, Argentina
Received 30 May 2012; Revised 13 December 2012; Accepted 21 December 2012
Academic Editor: Adair Roberto Soares Santos
Copyright © 2013 Yasmin E. Lopera et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. L. Weisfeldt, J. Zweier, G. Ambrosio, L. C. Becker, and J. T. Flaherty, “Evidence that free radicals result in reperfusion injury in heart muscle,” Basic Life Sciences, vol. 49, pp. 911–919, 1988.
- G. Ambrosio, J. L. Zweier, C. Duilio et al., “Evidence that mitochondrial respiration is a source of potentially toxic oxygen free radicals in intact rabbit hearts subjected to ischemia and reflow,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 25, pp. 18532–18541, 1993.
- K. K. Griendling and G. A. FitzGerald, “Oxidative Stress and cardiovascular injury part I: Basic mechanisms and in vivo monitoring of ROS,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 16, pp. 1912–1916, 2003.
- N. Marczin, N. El-Habashi, G. S. Hoare, R. E. Bundy, and M. Yacoub, “Antioxidants in myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury: therapeutic potential and basic mechanisms,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 420, no. 2, pp. 222–236, 2003.
- O. I. Aruoma, T. Bahorun, and L. S. Jen, “Neuroprotection by bioactive components in medicinal and food plant extracts,” Mutation Research, vol. 544, no. 2-3, pp. 203–215, 2003.
- D. Bandyopadhyay, A. Chattopadhyay, G. Ghosh, and A. G. Datta, “Oxidative stress-induced ischemic heart disease: protection by antioxidants,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 369–387, 2004.
- L. S. Cozma, “The role of anti-oxidant therapy in cardiovascular disease,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 369–371, 2004.
- C. A. Papaharalambus and K. K. Griendling, “Basic mechanisms of oxidative stress and reactive oxygen species in cardiovascular injury,” Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 48–54, 2007.
- B. Halliwell, “The wanderings of a free radical,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 531–542, 2009.
- A. M. Lefer and D. J. Lefer, “The role of nitric oxide and cell adhesion molecules on the microcirculation in ischaemia-reperfusion,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 743–751, 1996.
- J. S. Kim, S. Ohshima, P. Pediaditakis, and J. J. Lemasters, “Nitric oxide: a signaling molecule against mitochondrial permeability transition- and pH-dependent cell death after reperfusion,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1943–1950, 2004.
- G. Schinella, J. C. Fantinelli, and S. M. Mosca, “Cardioprotective effects of Ilex paraguariensis extract: evidence for a nitric oxide-dependent mechanism,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 360–366, 2005.
- L. M. Hung, M. J. Su, and J. K. Chen, “Resveratrol protects myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury through both NO-dependent and NO-independent mechanisms,” Free Radical in Biololgy and Medicine, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 774–781, 2004.
- B. Haliwell, “Are polyphenols anti-oxidants or pro-oxidants? What do we learn from cell culture and in vivo studies?” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 476, no. 2, pp. 107–112, 2008.
- S. M. Mosca, G. R. Schinella, H. A. Tournier, and H. E. Cingolani, “Is the protection against ischemia induced by red wine linked to its antioxidant capacity?” Experimental and Clinical Cardiology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 183–187, 2001.
- J. C. Fantinelli, G. Schinella, H. E. Cingolani, and S. M. Mosca, “Effects of different fractions of a red wine non-alcoholic extract on ischemia-reperfusion injury,” Life Sciences, vol. 76, no. 23, pp. 2721–2733, 2005.
- G. Schinella, J. C. Fantinelli, H. Tournier et al., “Antioxidant and cardioprotective effects of Ilex brasiliensis: a comparative study with Ilex paraguariensis (yerba mate),” Food Research International, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1403–1409, 2009.
- S. Yanagi, K. Matsumura, A. Marui et al., “Oral pretreatment with a green tea polyphenol for cardioprotection against ischemia-reperfusion injury in an isolated rat heart model,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 511–517, 2011.
- L. Djoussé, P. N. Hopkins, K. E. North, J. S. Pankow, D. K. Arnett, and R. C. Ellison, “Chocolate consumption is inversely associated with prevalent coronary heart disease: the national heart, lung, and blood institute family heart study,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 182–187, 2011.
- H. G. Ávila, J. A. Cuspoca, G. Fischer, G. A. Ligarreto, and M. C. Quicazán, “Caracterización fisicoquímica y organoléptica del fruto de agraz (Vaccinium meridionale Swartz) almacenado a 2 °C,” Revista Facultad Nacional de Agronomía, Medellín, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 4179–4193, 2007.
- G. A. Ligarreto, M. del Patiño, and S. V. Magnitskiy, “Phenotypic plasticity of Vaccinium meridionale (Ericaceae) in wild populations of mountain forests in Colombia,” Revista de Biologia Tropical, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 569–583, 2011.
- R. L. Prior, G. Cao, R. L. Prior, and G. Cao, “Analysis of botanicals and dietary supplements for antioxidant capacity: a review,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 950–956, 2000.
- G. A. Garzón, C. E. Narváez, K. M. Riedl, and S. J. Schwartz, “Chemical composition, anthocyanins, non-anthocyanin phenolics and antioxidant activity of wild bilberry (Vaccinium meridionale Swartz) from Colombia,” Food Chemistry, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 980–986, 2010.
- A. Rommel, R. E. Wrolstad, and D. A. Heatherbell, “Blackberry juice and wine: processing and storage effects on anthocyanin composition, color and appearance,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 385–391, 1992.
- N. P. Seeram, Y. Zhang, and M. G. Nair, “Inhibition of proliferation of human cancer cells and cyclooxygenase enzymes by anthocyanidins and catechins,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 101–106, 2003.
- N. P. Seeram, “Recent trends and advances in berry health benefits research,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 3869–3870, 2010.
- I. Ahmet, E. Spangler, B. Shukitt-Hale, J. A. Joseph, D. K. Ingram, and M. Talan, “Survival and cardioprotective benefits of long-term blueberry enriched diet in dilated cardiomyopathy following myocardial infarction in rats,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 11, Article ID e7975, 2009.
- V. I. Singleton and J. A. Rossi Jr., “Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic acid reagents,” American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 144–158, 1965.
- C. Chiriboga and F. J. Francis, “An anthocyanin recovery system from cranberry pomace,” Proceeding of the American Society of Horticultural Sciences, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 233–236, 1970.
- A. Cavin, K. Hostettmann, W. Dyatmyko, and O. Potterat, “Antioxidant and lipophilic constituents of Tinospora crispa,” Planta Medica, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 393–396, 1998.
- R. Re, N. Pellegrini, A. Proteggente, A. Pannala, M. Yang, and C. Rice-Evans, “Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 9-10, pp. 1231–1237, 1999.
- I. F. F. Benzie and J. J. Strain, “The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of “antioxidant power”: the FRAP assay,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 239, no. 1, pp. 70–76, 1996.
- W. H. Koppenol, R. Kissner, and J. S. Beckman, “Syntheses of peroxynitrite: to go with the flow or on solid grounds?” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 269, pp. 296–302, 1996.
- G. G. A. Balavoine and Y. V. Geletii, “Peroxynitrite scavenging by different antioxidants—part I: convenient assay,” Nitric Oxide, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 40–54, 1999.
- K. Jiao, S. Mandapati, P. L. Skipper, S. R. Tannenbaum, and J. S. Wishnok, “Site-selective nitration of tyrosine in human serum albumin by peroxynitrite,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 293, no. 1, pp. 43–52, 2001.
- J. A. Buege and S. D. Aust, “Microsomal lipid peroxidation,” Method in Enzymology, vol. 52, pp. 302–309, 1978.
- J. Sedlak and R. H. Lindsay, “Estimation of total, protein-bound, and nonprotein sulfhydryl groups in tissue with Ellman's reagent,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 192–205, 1968.
- J. M. Hare, “Nitroso-redox balance in the cardiovascular system,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 20, pp. 2112–2114, 2004.
- N. Paolocc, U. E. G. Ekelund, T. Isoda et al., “cGMP-independent inotropic effects of nitric oxide and peroxynitrite donors: potential role for nitrosylation,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 279, no. 4, pp. H1982–H1988, 2000.
- F. J. Giordano, “Oxygen, oxidative stress, hypoxia, and heart failure,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 500–508, 2005.
- P. Wang and J. L. Zweier, “Measurement of nitric oxide and peroxynitrite generation in the postischemic heart: evidence for peroxynitrite-mediated reperfusion injury,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 46, pp. 29223–29230, 1996.
- T. Katori, S. Donzelli, C. G. Tocchetti et al., “Peroxynitrite and myocardial contractility: in vivo versus in vitro effects,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1606–1618, 2006.
- R. Bolli, “Causative role of oxyradicals in myocardial stunning: a proven hypothesis. A brief review of the evidence demonstrating a major role of reactive oxygen species in several forms of postischemic dysfunction,” Basic Research in Cardiology, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 156–162, 1998.
- B. Tavazzi, D. Di Pierro, M. Bartolini et al., “Lipid peroxidation, tissue necrosis, and metabolic and mechanical recovery of isolated reperfused rat heart as a function of increasing ischemia,” Free Radical Research, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 25–37, 1998.
- B. J. Michell, J. E. Griffiths, K. I. Mitchelhill et al., “The Akt kinase signals directly to endothelial nitric oxide synthase,” Current Biology, vol. 9, no. 15, pp. 845–848, 1999.
- O. D. Saugstad, “Does nitric oxide prevent oxidative mediated lung injury?” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 905–907, 2000.
- R. M. Clancy, D. Levartovsky, J. Leszczynska-Piziak, J. Yegudin, and S. B. Abramson, “Nitric oxide reacts with intracellular glutathione and activates the hexose monophosphate shunt in human neutrophils: evidence for S-nitrosoglutathione as a bioactive intermediary,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 91, no. 9, pp. 3680–3684, 1994.
- P. C. Wootton-Beard and L. Ryan, “Improving public health? The role of anti-oxidant-rich fruit and vegetable beverages,” Food Research International, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 3135–3148, 2011.