- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 541436, 10 pages
Optimizing Combinations of Flavonoids Deriving from Astragali Radix in Activating the Regulatory Element of Erythropoietin by a Feedback System Control Scheme
1State Key Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry for Life Science, Nanjing University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay Road, Hong Kong
3Division of Life Science and Center for Chinese Medicine, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay Road, Hong Kong
4School of Biomedical Engineering, Med-X Research Institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
5Center for Cell Control, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, Biomedical Engineering Department, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1597, USA
Received 4 February 2013; Accepted 22 March 2013
Academic Editor: Shao Li
Copyright © 2013 Hui Yu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. C. Liu, K. Vian, P. Eckman, T. Y. Fang, and L. D. Chen, The Essential Book of Traditional Chinese Medicine: Theory, Clinical Practice, Columbia University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- T. Xue and R. Roy, “Studying traditional Chinese medicine,” Science, vol. 300, no. 5620, pp. 740–741, 2003.
- D. Normile, “The new face of traditional Chinese medicine,” Science, vol. 299, no. 5604, pp. 188–190, 2003.
- X. Q. Ma, Q. Shi, J. A. Duan, T. T. X. Dong, and K. W. K. Tsim, “Chemical analysis of Radix Astragali (Huangqi) in China: a comparison with its adulterants and seasonal variations,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 17, pp. 4861–4866, 2002.
- J. L. Ríos and P. G. Waterman, “A review of the pharmacology and toxicology of astragalus,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 411–418, 1997.
- L. W. Qi, Q. T. Yu, P. Li et al., “Quality evaluation of Radix Astragali through a simultaneous determination of six major active isoflavonoids and four main saponins by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with diode array and evaporative light scattering detectors,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1134, no. 1-2, pp. 162–169, 2006.
- C. Dame, K. M. Kirschner, K. V. Bartz, T. Wallach, C. S. Hussels, and H. Scholz, “Wilms tumor suppressor, Wt1, is a transcriptional activator of the erythropoietin gene,” Blood, vol. 107, no. 11, pp. 4282–4290, 2006.
- W. Jelkmann, “Erythropoietin: structure, control of production, and function,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 449–489, 1992.
- P. Maxwell, “HIF-1: an oxygen response system with special relevance to the kidney,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 2712–2722, 2003.
- K. Y. Z. Zheng, R. C. Y. Choi, A. W. H. Cheung et al., “Flavonoids from radix astragali induce the expression of erythropoietin in cultured cells: a signaling mediated via the accumulation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1α,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 1697–1704, 2011.
- K. Y. Z. Zheng, R. C. Y. Choi, H. Q. H. Xie et al., “The expression of erythropoietin triggered by Danggui Buxue Tang, a Chinese herbal decoction prepared from Radix Astragali and Radix Angelicae Sinensis, is mediated by the hypoxia-inducible factor in cultured HEK293T cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 259–267, 2010.
- J. E. Dancey and H. X. Chen, “Strategies for optimizing combinations of molecularly targeted anticancer agents,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 649–659, 2006.
- J. D. Feala, J. Cortes, P. M. Duxbury, C. Piermarocchi, A. D. McCulloch, and G. Paternostro, “Systems approaches and algorithms for discovery of combinatorial therapies,” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 181–193, 2010.
- T. Efferth, P. C. H. Li, V. S. B. Konkimalla, and B. Kaina, “From traditional Chinese medicine to rational cancer therapy,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 353–361, 2007.
- S. Li, B. Zhang, and N. Zhang, “Network target for screening synergistic drug combinations with application to traditional Chinese medicine,” BMC Systems Biolology, vol. 5, supplement 1, p. S10, 2011.
- H. Yan, B. Zhang, S. Li, and Q. Zhao, “A formal model for analyzing drug combination effects and its application in TNF-alpha-induced NFkappaB pathway,” BMC Systems Biolology, vol. 4, article 50, 2010.
- P. K. Wong, F. Yu, A. Shahangian, G. Cheng, R. Sun, and C. M. Ho, “Closed-loop control of cellular functions using combinatory drugs guided by a stochastic search algorithm,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 13, pp. 5105–5110, 2008.
- H. Tsutsui, B. Valamehr, A. Hindoyan et al., “An optimized small molecule inhibitor cocktail supports long-term maintenance of human embryonic stem cells,” Nature Communications, vol. 2, no. 1, article 167, 2011.
- D. E. Post and E. G. Van Meir, “Generation of bidirectional hypoxia/HIF-responsive expression vectors to target gene expression to hypoxic cells,” Gene Therapy, vol. 8, no. 23, pp. 1801–1807, 2001.
- H. Q. Xie, R. C. Y. Choi, K. W. Leung et al., “Regulation of a transcript encoding the proline-rich membrane anchor of globular muscle acetylcholinesterase: the suppressive roles of myogenesis and innervating nerves,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 16, pp. 11765–11775, 2007.
- R. Storn and K. Price, “Differential evolution—a simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces,” Journal of Global Optimization, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 341–359, 1997.
- C. P. Sun, T. Usui, F. Yu et al., “Integrative systems control approach for reactivating Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) with combinatory drugs,” Integrative Biology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 123–130, 2009.
- T. T. X. Dong, K. J. Zhao, Q. T. Gao et al., “Chemical and biological assessment of a Chinese herbal decoction containing Radix Astragali and Radix Angelicae Sinensis: determination of drug ratio in having optimized properties,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 2767–2774, 2006.
- Q. Gao, J. Li, J. K. H. Cheung et al., “Verification of the formulation and efficacy of Danggui Buxue Tang (a decoction of Radix Astragali and Radix Angelicae Sinensis): an exemplifying systematic approach to revealing the complexity of Chinese herbal medicine formulae,” Chinese Medicine, vol. 2, article 12, 2007.
- R. C. Choi, Q. T. Gao, A. W. Cheung, et al., “A Chinese herbal decoction, Danggui Buxue Tang, stimulates proliferation, differentiation and gene expression of cultured osteosarcoma cells: genomic approach to reveal specific gene activation,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 307548, 13 pages, 2011.
- H. Wagner, R. Bauer, P. G. Xiao, J. M. Chen, and G. Michler, “Chinese drug monographs and analysis: Radix Astragali (Huangqi),” in Verlag für Ganzheitliche Medizin Dr. Erich Wühr GmbH, A. Staudinger, Ed., Kötzting/Bayer, Wald, Germany, 1997.
- T. C. Chou, “The median-effect principle and the combination index for quantitation of synergism and antagonism,” in Synergism and Antagonism in Chemotherapy, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1991.
- T. C. Chou, “Theoretical basis, experimental design, and computerized simulation of synergism and antagonism in drug combination studies,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 621–681, 2006.
- T. C. Chou, “The mass-action law based algorithms for quantitative econo-green bio-research,” Integrative Biology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 548–559, 2011.
- T. C. Chou, “The mass-action law based algorithm for cost-effective approach for cancer drug discovery and development,” American Journal of Cancer Research, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 925–954, 2011.
- X. M. Zhao, M. Iskar, G. Zeller, M. Kuhn, V. van Noort, and P. Bork, “Prediction of drug combinations by integrating molecular and pharmacological data,” PLoS Computational Biology, vol. 7, no. 12, Article ID e1002323, 2011.