- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 545898, 10 pages
Multicomponent Therapeutics of Berberine Alkaloids
1China Military Institute of Chinese Medicine, Integrative Medical Center of 302 Military Hospital, Beijing 100039, China
2Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100193, China
3College of Pharmacy, Chengdu University of Chinese Traditional Medicine, Chengdu 610075, China
Received 10 December 2012; Revised 16 February 2013; Accepted 24 February 2013
Academic Editor: Yao Tong
Copyright © 2013 Jiaoyang Luo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Y. Yu, B. C. Wang, L. Peng, J. B. Wang, and C. Zeng, “Advances in pharmacological studies of Coptis chinesis,” Journal of Chongqing University, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 107–111, 2006.
- U. K. Choi, M. H. Kim, and N. H. Lee, “Optimization of antibacterial activity by gold-thread (Coptidis rhizoma Franch) against Streptococcus mutans using evolutionary operation-factorial design technique,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1880–1884, 2007.
- H. Y. Kim, H. S. Shin, H. Park et al., “In vitro inhibition of coronavirus replications by the traditionally used medicinal herbal extracts, Cimicifuga rhizoma, Meliae cortex, Coptidis rhizoma, and Phellodendron cortex,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 122–128, 2008.
- D. L. Fan, X. H. Xiao, and X. J. Ma, “Calorimetric study of the effect of protoberberine alkaloids in Coptis chinensis Franch on Staphylococcus aureus growth,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 480, no. 1-2, pp. 49–52, 2008.
- Y. S. Lee, W. S. Kim, K. H. Kim, et al., “Berberine, a natural plant product, activates AMP-activated protein kinase with beneficial metabolic effects in diabetic and insulin-resistant states,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 2256–2264, 2006.
- W. J. Kong, J. Wei, P. Abidi, et al., “Berberine is a novel cholesterol-lowering drug working through a unique mechanism distinct from statins,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 1344–1351, 2004.
- W. J. Kong, Y. L. Zhao, X. H. Xiao et al., “Spectrum-effect relationships between ultra performance liquid chromatography fingerprints and anti-bacterial activities of Rhizoma coptidis,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 634, no. 2, pp. 279–285, 2009.
- P. L. Ding, L. Q. Chen, Y. Lu, and Y. G. Li, “Determination of protoberberine alkaloids in Rhizoma coptidis by ERETIC 1H NMR method,” Journal Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 60, pp. 44–50, 2012.
- C. O. Chan, C. C. Chu, D. K. W. Mok, and F. T. Chau, “Analysis of berberine and total alkaloid content in Cortex Phellodendri by near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) compared with high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with ultra-visible spectrometric detection,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 592, no. 2, pp. 121–131, 2007.
- G. Y. Zuo, G. C. Wang, Y. B. Zhao et al., “Screening of Chinese medicinal plants for inhibition against clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA),” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 287–290, 2008.
- R. Skov, K. Christiansen, S. J. Dancer, et al., “Update on the prevention and control of community-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA),” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 193–200, 2012.
- E. Turos, G. S. K. Reddy, K. Greenhalgh et al., “Penicillin-bound polyacrylate nanoparticles: restoring the activity of β-lactam antibiotics against MRSA,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 3468–3472, 2007.
- D. Styers, D. J. Sheehan, P. Hogan, and D. F. Sahm, “Laboratory-based surveillance of current antimicrobial resistance patterns and trends among Staphylococcus aureus: 2005 status in the United States,” Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials, vol. 5, article 2, 2006.
- S. R. Norrby, C. E. Nord, and R. Finch, “Lack of development of new antimicrobial drugs: a potential serious threat to public health,” Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 115–119, 2005.
- R. H. Deurenberg, C. Vink, S. Kalenic, A. W. Friedrich, C. A. Bruggeman, and E. E. Stobberingh, “The molecular evolution of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 222–235, 2007.
- C. R. Bonapace, J. A. Bosso, L. V. Friedrich, and R. L. White, “Comparison of methods of interpretation of checkerboard synergy testing,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 363–366, 2002.
- H. P. Wei, X. L. Ye, H. Y. Zhang, X. G. Li, and Y. J. Zhong, “Investigations on cordycepin production by solid culture of Cordyceps militaris,” Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi, vol. 33, no. 19, pp. 2159–2162, 2008 (Chinese).
- P. Zheng, L. J. Meng, G. P. Sun, and W. Z. Wang, “Study on optimization of formulation of Danggui Liuhuang effervescent granules,” Zhong Yao Cai, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 452–455, 2011 (Chinese).
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Methods for Dilution Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria that Grow Aerobically, Approved Standard, vol. 32, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 9th edition, 2012.
- A. A. Borisy, P. J. Elliott, N. W. Hurst, et al., “Systematic discovery of multicomponent therapeutics,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 100, no. 13, pp. 7977–7982, 2003.
- M. C. Berenbaum, “Criteria for analyzing interactions between biologically active agents,” Advances in Cancer Research, vol. 35, pp. 269–335, 1981.
- L. X. Zhang, K. Z. Yan, Y. Zhang, et al., “High-throughput synergy screening identifies microbial metabolites as combination agents for the treatment of fungal infections,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 11, pp. 4606–4611, 2007.
- S. Mandal, M. DebMandal, N. K. Pal, and K. Saha, “Synergistic anti-Staphylococcus aureus activity of amoxicillin in combination with Emblica officinalis and Nymphae odorata extracts,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 711–714, 2010.
- B. C. Chan, M. Ip, C. B. Lau, et al., “Synergistic effects of baicalein with ciprofloxacin against NorA over-expressed methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and inhibition of MRSA pyruvate kinase,” Journal of Ethnopharmacolgy, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 767–773, 2011.
- Y. Sato, H. Shibata, T. Arai et al., “Variation in synergistic activity by flavone and its related compounds on the increased susceptibility of various strains of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus to beta-lactam antibiotics,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 226–233, 2004.
- B. Segatore, P. Bellio, D. Setacci, et al., “In vitro interaction of usnic acid in combination with antimicrobial agents against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolates determined by FICI and ΔE model methods,” Phytomedicine, vol. 19, no. 3-4, pp. 341–347, 2012.
- H. Muroi, K. I. Nihei, K. Tsujimoto, and I. Kubo, “Synergistic effects of anacardic acids and methicillin against methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 583–587, 2004.
- I. You, R. Kariyama, M. J. Zervos, H. Kumon, and J. W. Chow, “In-vitro activity of arbekacin alone and in combination with vancomycin against gentamicin- and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 37–41, 2000.
- M. Inoue, T. Suzuki, Y. Fujita et al., “Synergistic effect of polyoxometalates in combination with oxacillin against methicillin-resistant and vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a high initial inoculum of cfu/ml for in vivo test,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 220–226, 2006.
- K. Morikawa, M. Nonaka, Y. Yoshikawa, and I. Torii, “Synergistic effect of fosfomycin and arbekacin on a methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-induced biofilm in a rat model,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 44–50, 2005.
- L. P. Jordheim, S. Ben Larbi, O. Fendrich, et al., “Gemcitabine is active against clinical multiresistant Staphylococcus aureus strains and is synergistic with gentamicin,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 444–447, 2012.
- Z. C. Yang, B. C. Wang, X. S. Yang, Q. Wang, and L. Ran, “The synergistic activity of antibiotics combined with eight traditional Chinese medicines against two different strains of Staphylococcus aureus,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 41, no. 2-3, pp. 79–81, 2005.
- N. Jarrar, A. Abu-Hijleh, and K. Adwan, “Antibacterial activity of Rosmarinus officinalis L. alone and in combination with cefuroxime against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 121–123, 2010.
- G. Celenza, B. Segatore, D. Setacci, et al., “In vitro antimicrobial activity of pannarin alone and in combination with antibiotics against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolates,” Phytomedicine, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 596–602, 2012.
- S. B. Levy, “The challenge of antibiotic resistance,” Scientific American, vol. 278, pp. 46–53, 1998.
- K. Lewis, “Multidrug resistance efflux,” in Transport of Molecules Across Microbial Membranes, J. K. Broome-Smith, S. Baumberg, C. J. Stirling, and F. B. Ward, Eds., pp. 15–40, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1999.
- H. Nikaido, “Multiple antibiotic resistance and efflux,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 516–523, 1998.
- I. T. Paulsen, M. H. Brown, and R. A. Skurray, “Proton-dependent multidrug efflux systems,” Microbiological Reviews, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 575–608, 1996.
- J. S. Lolkema, B. Poolman, and W. N. Konings, “Bacterial solute uptake and efflux systems,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 248–253, 1998.
- E. Kuley and F. Özogul, “Synergistic and antagonistic effect of lactic acid bacteria on tyramine production by food-borne pathogenic bacteria in tyrosine decarboxylase broth,” Food Chemistry, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 1163–1168, 2011.
- V. V. Guaracho, N. M. S. Kaminari, M. J. J. S. Ponte, and H. A. Ponte, “Central Composite experimental design applied to removal of lead and nickel from sand,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 172, no. 2-3, pp. 1087–1092, 2009.
- S. L. Ferreira, R. E. Bruns, H. S. Ferreira, et al., “Box-Behnken design: an alternative for the optimization of analytical methods,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 597, no. 2, pp. 179–186, 2007.
- R. Morales, M. C. Ortiz, L. A. Sarabia, and M. S. Sánchez, “D-optimal designs and N-way techniques to determine sulfathiazole in milk by molecular fluorescence spectroscopy,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 707, no. 1-2, pp. 38–46, 2011.