- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 547430, 11 pages
Resveratrol Downregulates Interleukin-6-Stimulated Sonic Hedgehog Signaling in Human Acute Myeloid Leukemia
1Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, Tzu Chi University, Hualien 97004, Taiwan
2Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Buddhist Dalin Tzu Chi General Hospital, Chiayi 62247, Taiwan
3Department of Biochemical Science and Technology, National Chiayi University, Chiayi 60004, Taiwan
4Department of Radiation Oncology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
5Institute of Traditional Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 11221, Taiwan
Received 15 December 2012; Accepted 15 January 2013
Academic Editor: Yu-Jen Chen
Copyright © 2013 Yu-Chieh Su et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. J. P. Huntly, H. Shigematsu, K. Deguchi et al., “MOZ-TIF2, but not BCR-ABL, confers properties of leukemic stem cells to committed murine hematopoietic progenitors,” Cancer Cell, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 587–596, 2004.
- C. H. M. Jamieson, L. E. Ailles, S. J. Dylla et al., “Granulocyte-macrophage progenitors as candidate leukemic stem cells in blast-crisis CML,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 7, pp. 657–667, 2004.
- M. T. Mueller, P. C. Hermann, J. Witthauer et al., “Combined targeted treatment to eliminate tumorigenic cancer stem cells in human pancreatic cancer,” Gastroenterology, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 1102–1113, 2009.
- C. Tang, B. T. Ang, and S. Pervaiz, “Cancer stem cell: target for anticancer therapy,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 21, no. 14, pp. 3777–3785, 2007.
- D. Bonnet and J. E. Dick, “Human acute myeloid leukemia is organized as a hierarchy that originates from a primitive hematopoietic cell,” Nature Medicine, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 730–737, 1997.
- J. M. Gerber, B. D. Smith, B. Ngwang et al., “A clinically relevant population of leukemic CD34+ CD38− cells in acute myeloid leukemia,” Blood, vol. 119, no. 15, pp. 3571–3517, 2012.
- Y. Chen, C. Peng, C. Sullivan, D. Li, and S. Li, “Critical molecular pathways in cancer stem cells of chronic myeloid leukemia,” Leukemia, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1545–1554, 2010.
- J. J. Trowbridge, M. P. Scott, and M. Bhatia, “Hedgehog modulates cell cycle regulators in stem cells to control hematopoietic regeneration,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of American, vol. 103, no. 38, pp. 14134–14139, 2006.
- L. A. Crews and C. H. Jamieson, “Selective elimination of leukemia stem cells: hitting a moving target,” Cancer Letters, 2012.
- N. T. Nguyen, D. P. Lin, S. Y. Yen et al., “Sonic hedgehog promotes porcine oocyte maturation and early embryo development,” Reproduction, Fertility, and Development, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 805–815, 2009.
- C. Zhao, A. Chen, C. H. Hamieson et al., “Hedgehog signalling is essential for maintenance of cancer stem stem cells in myeloid leukaemia,” Nature, vol. 458, no. 7239, pp. 776–780, 2009.
- J. Sims-Mourtada, J. G. Izzo, J. Ajani, and K. S. C. Chao, “Sonic Hedgehog promotes multiple drug resistance by regulation of drug transport,” Oncogene, vol. 26, no. 38, pp. 5674–5679, 2007.
- H. F. Liao, Y. C. Su, Z. Y. Zheng et al., “Sonic hedgehog signaling regulates Bcr-Abl expression in human chronic myeloid leukemia cells,” Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 378–383, 2012.
- E. Efstathiou, P. Troncoso, S. Wen et al., “Initial modulation of the tumor microenvironment accounts for thalidomide activity in prostate cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1224–1231, 2007.
- N. N. Bewry, R. R. Nair, M. F. Emmons, D. Boulware, J. Pinilla-Ibarz, and L. A. Hazlehurst, “Stat3 contributes to resistance toward BCR-ABL inhibitors in a bone marrow microenvironment model of drug resistance,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 3169–3175, 2008.
- M. T. Scupoli, M. Donadelli, F. Cioffi et al., “Bone marrow stromal cells and the upregulation of interleukin-8 production in human T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia through the CXCL12/CXCR4 axis and the NF-κB and JNK/AP-1 pathways,” Haematologica, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 524–532, 2008.
- T. M. Garcia-Bates, S. H. Bernstein, and R. P. Phipps, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ overexpression suppresses growth and induces apoptosis in human multiple myeloma cells,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 20, pp. 6414–6425, 2008.
- S. K. Lee, W. Zhang, and B. J. S. Sanderson, “Selective growth inhibition of human leukemia and human lymphoblastoid cells by resveratrol via cell cycle arrest and apoptosis induction,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 16, pp. 7572–7577, 2008.
- B. Y. Chen, C. H. Kuo, Y. C. Liu, L. Y. Ye, J. H. Chen, and C. J. Shieh, “Ultrasonic-assisted extraction of the botanical dietary supplement resveratrol and other constituents of Polygonum cuspidatum,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 75, no. 10, pp. 1810–1813, 2012.
- Z. Cakir, G. Saydam, F. Sahin, and Y. Baran, “The roles of bioactive sphingolipids in resveratrol-induced apoptosis in HL60 acute myeloid leukemia cells,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 279–286, 2011.
- H. F. Liao, A. J. Cheng, H. T. Huang, M. L. Shen, T. K. Hei, and Y. J. Chen, “Nuclear factor-kappaB as a switch in regulation of resveratrol-mediated apoptosis and erythrocytic differentiation in human leukemia cells,” Food Chemistry, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 2094–2101, 2012.
- S. H. Kweon, J. H. Song, and T. S. Kim, “Resveratrol-mediated reversal of doxorubicin resistance in acute myeloid leukemia cells via downregulation of MRP1 expression,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 395, no. 1, pp. 104–110, 2010.
- G. Lorusso and C. Rüegg, “The tumor microenvironment and its contribution to tumor evolution toward metastasis,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 1091–1103, 2008.
- Z. Trnková, R. Bedrlíková, J. Marková, K. Michalová, P. Stöckbauer, and J. Schwarz, “Semiquantitative RT-PCR evaluation of the MDR1 gene expression in patients with acute myeloid leukemia,” Neoplasma, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 383–390, 2007.
- T. R. Randolph, “Acute promyelocytic leukemia (AML-M3)—part 1: pathophysiology, clinical diagnosis, and differentiation therapy,” Clinical Laboratory Science, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 98–105, 2000.
- M. B. Meads, R. A. Gatenby, and W. S. Dalton, “Environment-mediated drug resistance: a major contributor to minimal residual disease,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 665–674, 2009.
- M. Kobune, R. Takimoto, K. Murase et al., “Drug resistance is dramatically restored by hedgehog inhibitors in CD34+ leukemic cells,” Cancer Science, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 948–955, 2009.
- R. Amin and L. Mishra, “Liver stem cells and TGF-Beta in hepatic carcinogenesis,” Gastrointestinal Cancer Research, vol. 2, supplement 4, pp. S27–S30, 2008.
- M. Katoh, “Dysregulation of stem cell signaling network due to germline mutation, SNP, Helicobacter pylori infection, epigenetic change and genetic alteration in gastric cancer,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 832–839, 2007.
- W. Vanden Berghe, “Epigenetic impact of dietary polyphenols in cancer chemoprevention: lifelong remodeling of our epigenomes,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 565–576, 2012.
- M. Athar, J. H. Back, L. Kopelovich, D. R. Bickers, and A. L. Kim, “Multiple molecular targets of resveratrol: anti-carcinogenic mechanisms,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 486, no. 2, pp. 95–102, 2009.
- X. Chu, M. Wei, X. Yang et al., “Effects of an anthraquinone derivative from Rheum officinale Baill, emodin, on airway responses in a murine model of asthma,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 2368–2375, 2012.
- B. Hu, H. M. An, K. P. Shen, H. Y. Song, and S. Deng, “Polygonum cuspidatum extract induces anoikis in hepatocarcinoma cells associated with generation of reactive oxygen species and downregulation of focal adhesion kinase,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 607675, 9 pages, 2012.
- Y. P. Yang, Y. L. Chang, P. I. Huang et al., “Resveratrol suppresses tumorigenicity and enhances radiosensitivity in primary glioblastoma tumor initiating cells by inhibiting the STAT3 axis,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 227, no. 3, pp. 976–993, 2012.
- Y. Li, M. S. Wicha, S. J. Schwartz, and D. Sun, “Implications of cancer stem cell theory for cancer chemoprevention by natural dietary compounds,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 799–806, 2011.
- S. Shankar, D. Nall, S. N. Tang et al., “Resveratrol inhibits pancreatic cancer stem cell characteristics in human and KrasG12D transgenic mice by inhibiting pluripotency maintaining factors and epithelial-mesenchymal transition,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 1, Article ID e16530, 2011.
- F. H. Sarkar, Y. Li, Z. Wang, and D. Kong, “The role of nutraceuticals in the regulation of Wnt and Hedgehog signaling in cancer,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 383–394, 2010.