- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 569037, 10 pages
Attenuation of CCl4-Induced Oxidative Stress and Hepatonephrotoxicity by Saudi Sidr Honey in Rats
1Department of Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, P.O. Box 2457, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
2Medicinal, Aromatic and Poisonous Plants Research Center (MAPPRC), College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, P.O. Box 2457, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
3Department of Pathology (32), King Khalid University Hospital, King Saud University, P.O. Box 2925, Riyadh 11461, Saudi Arabia
Received 19 December 2012; Accepted 16 January 2013
Academic Editor: Olumayokun A. Olajide
Copyright © 2013 Mohammed Al-Yahya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Alvarez-Suarez, S. Tulipani, S. Romandini, E. Bertoli, and M. Battino, “Contribution of honey in nutrition and human health: a review,” Mediterranean Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 2010.
- X. Feás, J. Pires, A. Iglesias, and M. L. Estevinho, “Characterization of artisanal honey produced on the Northwest of Portugal by melissopalynological and physico-chemical data,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 3462–3470, 2010.
- K. Lay-flurrie, “Honey in wound care: effects, clinical application and patient benefit,” British Journal of Nursing, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. S30–S32, 2008.
- M. L. Al, D. Daniel, A. Moise, O. Bobis, L. Laslo, and S. Bogdanov, “Physico-chemical and bioactive properties of different floral origin honeys from Romania,” Food Chemistry, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 863–867, 2009.
- I. C. F. R. Ferreira, E. Aires, J. C. M. Barreira, and L. M. Estevinho, “Antioxidant activity of Portuguese honey samples: different contributions of the entire honey and phenolic extract,” Food Chemistry, vol. 114, no. 4, pp. 1438–1443, 2009.
- A. B. Jull, A. Rodgers, and N. Walker, “Honey as a topical treatment for wounds,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, p. CD005083, 2008.
- S. Bogdanov, T. Jurendic, R. Sieber, and P. Gallmann, “Honey for nutrition and health: a review,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 677–689, 2008.
- A. E. Jeffrey and C. M. Echazarreta, “Medical uses of honey,” Reviews in Biomedical, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 43–49, 1996.
- K. L. Allen, P. C. Molan, and G. M. Reid, “A survey of the antibacterial activity of some New Zealand honeys,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 817–822, 1991.
- L. Vela, C. De Lorenzo, and R. A. Pérez, “Antioxidant capacity of Spanish honeys and its correlation with polyphenol content and other physicochemical properties,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1069–1075, 2007.
- A. Jeddar, A. Kharsany, and U. G. Ramsaroop, “The antibacterial action of honey. An in vitro study,” South African Medical Journal, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 257–258, 1985.
- B. Zeina, B. I. Zohra, and S. Al-assad, “The effects of honey on leishmania parasites: an in vitro study,” Tropical Doctor, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 36–38, 1997.
- F. R. Greten, L. Eckmann, T. F. Greten et al., “IKKβ links inflammation and tumorigenesis in a mouse model of colitis-associated cancer,” Cell, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 285–296, 2004.
- M. López-Lázaro, “Dual role of hydrogen peroxide in cancer: possible relevance to cancer chemoprevention and therapy,” Cancer Letters, vol. 252, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2007.
- P. Michaluart, J. L. Masferrer, A. M. Carothers et al., “Inhibitory effects of caffeic acid phenethyl ester on the activity and expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in human oral epithelial cells and in a rat model of inflammation,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 2347–2352, 1999.
- S. A. Reitman and S. Frankel, “A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminases,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 1957.
- E. J. King and A. R. Armstrong, “Calcium, phosphorus and phosphate,” in Practical Clinical Biochemistry, H. Varley, Ed., CBS publishers, New Delhi, India, 1988.
- S. Fiala, A. E. Fiala, and B. Dixon, “Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase in transplantable, chemically induced rat hepatomas and spontaneous mouse hepatomas,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 1393–1401, 1972.
- A. Stiehl, “Hyperbilirubinaemia in liver disease,” Fortschritte der Medizin, vol. 100, no. 18, pp. 842–845, 1982.
- P. N. M. Demacher and A. G. M. Hijamaus, “A study of the use of polyethylene glycol in estimating cholesterol,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 26, pp. 1775–1778, 1980.
- L. B. Foster and R. T. Dunn, “Stable reagents for determination of serum triglycerides by a colorimetric Hantzsch condensation method,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 338–340, 1973.
- M. Burstein and H. R. Scholnick, “Turbidimetric estimation of chylomicrons and very low density lipoproteins in human sera after precipitation by sodium lauryl sulfate,” Biomedicine, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 16–19, 1973.
- H. C. Utley, F. Bernheim, and P. Hochslein, “Effect of sulfhydryl reagent onperoxidation in microsome,” Archives of Biochemistry Biophysics, vol. 260, pp. 521–531, 1967.
- J. Sedlak and R. H. Lindsay, “Estimation of total, protein-bound, and nonprotein sulfhydryl groups in tissue with Ellman's reagent,” Analytical Biochemistry C, vol. 25, pp. 192–205, 1968.
- C. F. Culling, Handbook of Histopathological and Histochemical Techniques, Butterworth, London, UK, 3rd edition, 1974.
- C. Rota, C. F. Chignell, and R. P. Mason, “Evidence for free radical formation during the oxidation of 2'-7'-dichlorofluorescin to the fluorescent dye 2'-7'-dichlorofluorescein by horseradish peroxidase: possible implications for oxidative stress measurements,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 27, no. 7-8, pp. 873–881, 1999.
- W. W. Brand-Williams, M. E. Cuvelier, and C. Berset, “Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity,” Food Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 1995.
- R. A. A. Mothana, M. S. Al-Said, A. J. Al-Rehaily, T. M. Thabet, N. A. Awad, M. Lalk, et al., “Anti-inflammatory, antinociceptive, antipyretic and antioxidant activities and phenolic constituents from Loranthus regularis Steud. Ex Sprague,” Food Chemistry, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 344–349, 2012.
- V. L. Singleton, R. Orthofer, and R. M. Lamuela-Raventós, “Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 299, pp. 152–178, 1998.
- M. D. C. T. C. Liberato, S. M. De Morais, S. M. C. Siqueira et al., “Phenolic content and antioxidant and antiacetylcholinesterase properties of honeys from different Floral origins,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 658–663, 2011.
- E. M. Williamson, D. T. Okpako, and F. J. Evans, The Liver and Biliary System: Selection, Preparation and Pharmacological Evaluation of Plant Material, John Wiley and Sons, London, UK, 1996.
- B. L. de Medeiros, K. S. Costa, J. Alves et al., “Liver protective activity of a hydroethanolic extract of Arrabidaea chica (Humb. and Bonpl.) B. Verl., (pariri),” Pharmacognosy Research, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 79–84, 2011.
- U. Y. Sanzgiri, V. Srivatsan, S. Muralidhara, C. E. Dallas, and J. V. Bruckner, “Uptake, distribution, and elimination of carbon tetrachloride in rat tissues following inhalation and ingestion exposures,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 120–129, 1997.
- F. Jaramillo-juárez, M. L. Rodriguez-Vázquez, A. R. Rincón-Sánchez, M. Consolación Martinez, G. G. Ortiz, J. Llamas, et al., “Acute renal failure induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats with hepatic cirrhosis,” Annals of HepatoIogy, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 331–338, 2008.
- P. Abraham, G. Wilfred, and S. P. Cathrine, “Oxidative damage to the lipids and proteins of the lungs, testis and kidney of rats during carbon tetrachloride intoxication,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 289, no. 1-2, pp. 177–179, 1999.
- G. S. Achliya, S. G. Wadodkar, and A. K. Dorle, “Evaluation of hepatoprotective effect of Amalkadi Ghrita against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic damage in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 90, no. 2-3, pp. 229–232, 2004.
- B. Kilicoglu, C. Gencay, K. Kismet et al., “The ultrastructural research of liver in experimental obstructive jaundice and effect of honey,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 195, no. 2, pp. 249–256, 2008.
- A. Seakins and D. S. Robinson, “The effect of the administration of carbon tetrachloride on the formation of plasma lipoproteins in the rat,” The Biochemical Journal, vol. 86, pp. 401–407, 1963.
- M. I. Kazeem, H. A. Bankole, and A. A. Fatai, “Protective effect of ginger in normal and carbon-tetrachloride induced hepatotoxic rats,” Annals of Biological Research, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- Y. Aniya, T. Koyama, C. Miyagi et al., “Free radical scavenging and hepatoprotective actions of the medicinal herb, Crossocephalum crepidioides from the Okinawa Islands,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 19–23, 2005.
- S. O. Adewole, A. A. Salako, O. W. Doherty, and T. Naicker, “Effect of melatonin on carbon tetrachloride-induced kidney injury in Wistar rats,” African Journal of Biomedical Research, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 153–164, 2007.
- S. R. Orth and E. Ritz, “The nephrotic syndrome,” Internist, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 1246–1252, 1998.
- D. W. Cockcroft and M. H. Gault, “Prediction of creatinine clearance from serum creatinine,” Nephron, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 31–41, 1976.
- A. M. Davison, J. S. Cameron, J.-P. Gruenfeld, D. N. S. Kerr, E. Ritz, and G. Winearls, “Oxford Textbook of Clinical Nephrology,” pp. 36–39, Oxford University Press, Oxford, USA, 1998.
- A. A. J. Nayagam, S. Manokaran, and N. Sudhakar, “Hepatoprotective efficacy of Tricholepis radicans DC. against CCl4 induced liver toxicity in albino rats,” Journal of Pharmacy Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 1073–1075, 2011.
- R. S. Kumar, K. Asokkumar, and N. V. Murthy, “Hepatoprotective effects and antioxidant role of scutia myrtina on paracetamol induced hepatotoxicity in rats,” Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, p. 8, 2011.
- D. D. Kitts, Y. V. Yuan, and D. V. Godin, “Plasma and lipoprotein lipid composition and hepatic antioxidant status in spontaneously hypertensive (SHR) and normotensive (WKY) rats,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 202–209, 1998.
- H. Sies, “Glutathione and its role in cellular functions,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 27, no. 9-10, pp. 916–921, 1999.
- S. A. Ganie, E. Haq, A. Hamid et al., “Carbon tetrachloride induced kidney and lung tissue damages and antioxidant activities of the aqueous rhizome extract of Podophyllum hexandrum,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 11, p. 17, 2011.
- Y. Ohta, M. Kongo, E. Sasaki, K. Nishida, and I. Ishiguro, “Therapeutic effect of melatonin on carbon tetrachloride-induced acute liver injury in rats,” Journal of Pineal Research, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 119–126, 2000.
- G. Eraslan, M. Kanbur, S. Silici, and M. Karabacak, “Beneficial effect of pine honey on trichlorfon induced some biochemical alterations in mice,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 1084–1091, 2010.