- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 590376, 12 pages
Improvement of Liquid Fructose-Induced Adipose Tissue Insulin Resistance by Ginger Treatment in Rats Is Associated with Suppression of Adipose Macrophage-Related Proinflammatory Cytokines
1Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400016, China
2The Second Affiliated Hospital, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400010, China
3College of Laboratory Medicine, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400016, China
4Endocrinology and Metabolism Group, Sydney Institute of Health Sciences, Sydney, NSW 2000 , Australia
5Pharmafood Institute, Kyoto 602-8136, Japan
Received 31 October 2012; Revised 25 December 2012; Accepted 12 January 2013
Academic Editor: Wen-Chin Yang
Copyright © 2013 Jianwei Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Cornier, D. Dabelea, T. L. Hernandez, et al., “The metabolic syndrome,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 777–822, 2008.
- G. Boden, “Role of fatty acids in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance and NIDDM,” Diabetes, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 3–10, 1997.
- A. D. Attie and P. E. Scherer, “Adipocyte metabolism and obesity,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 50, pp. S395–S399, 2009.
- A. Gastaldelli, K. Cusi, M. Pettiti et al., “Relationship between hepatic/visceral fat and hepatic insulin resistance in nondiabetic and type 2 diabetic subjects,” Gastroenterology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 496–506, 2007.
- A. Gastaldelli, S. A. Harrison, R. Belfort-Aguilar et al., “Importance of changes in adipose tissue insulin resistance to histological response during thiazolidinedione treatment of patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis,” Hepatology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1087–1093, 2009.
- B. A. Neuschwander-Tetri, “Hepatic lipotoxicity and the pathogenesis of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: the central role of nontriglyceride fatty acid metabolites,” Hepatology, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 774–788, 2010.
- R. Lomonaco, C. Ortiz-Lopez, B. Orsak, et al., “Effect of adipose tissue insulin resistance on metabolic parameters and liver histology in obese patients with NAFLD,” Hepatology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 1389–1397, 2012.
- A. M. Sharma and B. Staels, “Review: peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ and adipose tissue–understanding obesity-related changes in regulation of lipid and glucose metabolism,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 386–395, 2007.
- L. N. Bell, J. Wang, S. Muralidharan, et al., “Relationship between adipose tissue insulin resistance and liver histology in NASH: a PIVENS follow-up study,” Hepatology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 1311–1318, 2012.
- R. J. Johnson, S. E. Perez-Pozo, Y. Y. Sautin et al., “Hypothesis: could excessive fructose intake and uric acid cause type 2 diabetes?” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 96–116, 2009.
- K. L. Stanhope, J. M. Schwarz, N. L. Keim et al., “Consuming fructose-sweetened, not glucose-sweetened, beverages increases visceral adiposity and lipids and decreases insulin sensitivity in overweight/obese humans,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 119, no. 5, pp. 1322–1334, 2009.
- L. Tappy and K. A. Le, “Metabolic effects of fructose and the worldwide increase in obesity,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 23–46, 2010.
- N. K. Pollock, V. Bundy, W. Kanto, et al., “Greater fructose consumption is associated with cardiometabolic risk markers and visceral adiposity in adolescents,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 251–257, 2012.
- A. Matsuda, Z. Wang, S. Takahashi, T. Tokuda, N. Miura, and J. Hasegawa, “Upregulation of mRNA of retinoid binding protein and fatty acid binding protein by cholesterol enriched-diet and effect of ginger on lipid metabolism,” Life Sciences, vol. 84, no. 25-26, pp. 903–907, 2009.
- S. Nammi, M. S. Kim, N. S. Gavande, G. Q. Li, and B. D. Roufogalis, “Regulation of low-density lipoprotein receptor and 3-hydroxy-3- methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase expression by zingiber officinale in the liver of high-fat diet-fed rats,” Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 389–395, 2010.
- H. Gao, T. Guan, C. Li, et al., “Treatment with ginger ameliorates fructose-induced fatty liver and hypertriglyceridemia in rats: modulation of the hepatic carbohydrate response element binding protein-mediated pathway,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 570948, 12 pages, 2012.
- X. Rong, Y. Li, K. Ebihara et al., “Angiotensin II type 1 receptor-independent beneficial effects of telmisartan on dietary-induced obesity, insulin resistance and fatty liver in mice,” Diabetologia, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 1727–1731, 2010.
- R. M. Evans, G. D. Barish, and Y. X. Wang, “PPARs and the complex journey to obesity,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 355–361, 2004.
- B. R. Barrows and E. J. Parks, “Contributions of different fatty acid sources to very low-density lipoprotein-triacylglycerol in the fasted and fed states,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 1446–1452, 2006.
- R. H. Eckel, S. M. Grundy, and P. Z. Zimmet, “The metabolic syndrome,” The Lancet, vol. 365, no. 9468, pp. 1415–1428, 2005.
- K. Cusi, “Role of insulin resistance and lipotoxicity in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis,” Clinics in Liver Disease, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 545–563, 2009.
- E. Vanni, E. Bugianesi, A. Kotronen, S. De Minicis, H. Yki-Järvinen, and G. Svegliati-Baroni, “From the metabolic syndrome to NAFLD or vice versa?” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 320–330, 2010.
- E. Fabbrini, S. Sullivan, and S. Klein, “Obesity and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: biochemical, metabolic, and clinical implications,” Hepatology, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 679–689, 2010.
- P. Bjorntorp, “Metabolic abnormalities in visceral obesity,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 3–5, 1992.
- C. Postic and J. Girard, “Contribution of de novo fatty acid synthesis to hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance: lessons from genetically engineered mice,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 829–838, 2008.
- K. E. Wellen and G. S. Hotamisligil, “Inflammation, stress, and diabetes,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 1111–1119, 2005.
- J. Ye, “Adipose tissue vascularization: its role in chronic inflammation,” Current Diabetes Reports, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 203–210, 2011.
- S. P. Weisberg, D. McCann, M. Desai, M. Rosenbaum, R. L. Leibel, and A. W. Ferrante Jr., “Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 1796–1808, 2003.
- S. Galic, M. D. Fullerton, J. D. Schertzer, et al., “AMPK β1 reduces mouse adipose tissue macrophage inflammation and insulin resistance in obesity,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 121, no. 12, pp. 4903–4915, 2011.
- N. Kamei, K. Tobe, R. Suzuki, et al., “Overexpression of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in adipose tissues causes macrophage recruitment and insulin resistance,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 36, pp. 26602–26614, 2006.
- G. B. Di Gregorio, A. Yao-Borengasser, N. Rasouli et al., “Expression of CD68 and macrophage chemoattractant protein-1 genes in human adipose and muscle tissues: association with cytokine expression, insulin resistance, and reduction by pioglitazone,” Diabetes, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 2305–2313, 2005.
- G. S. Hotamisligil, P. Peraldi, A. Budavari, R. Ellis, M. F. White, and B. M. Spiegelman, “IRS-1-mediated inhibition of insulin receptor tyrosine kinase activity in TNF-α- and obesity-induced insulin resistance,” Science, vol. 271, no. 5249, pp. 665–668, 1996.
- M. Hoene and C. Weigert, “The role of interleukin-6 in insulin resistance, body fat distribution and energy balance,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 20–29, 2008.
- K. Nonogaki, G. M. Fuller, N. L. Fuentes, et al., “Interleukin-6 stimulates hepatic triglyceride secretion in rats,” Endocrinology, vol. 136, no. 5, pp. 2143–2149, 1995.
- M. E. Trujillo, S. Sullivan, I. Harten, S. H. Schneider, A. S. Greenberg, and S. K. Fried, “Interleukin-6 regulates human adipose tissue lipid metabolism and leptin production in vitro,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 5577–5582, 2004.
- S. B. Biddinger and C. R. Kahn, “From mice to men: insights into the insulin resistance syndromes,” Annual Review of Physiology, vol. 68, pp. 123–158, 2006.
- E. Araki, M. A. Lipes, M. E. Patti et al., “Alternative pathway of insulin signalling in mice with targeted disruption of the IRS-1 gene,” Nature, vol. 372, no. 6502, pp. 186–190, 1994.
- H. Tamemoto, T. Kadowaki, K. Tobe, et al., “Insulin resistance and growth retardation in mice made with targeted disruption of the IRS-1 gene,” Nature, vol. 372, no. 6502, pp. 182–186, 1994.
- M. Benito, “Tissue specificity on insulin action and resistance: past to recent mechanisms,” Acta Physiology, vol. 201, no. 3, pp. 297–312, 2011.
- H. Sell and J. Eckel, “Monocyte chemotactic protein-1 and its role in insulin resistance,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 258–262, 2007.
- H. Kanda, S. Tateya, Y. Tamori et al., “MCP-1 contributes to macrophage infiltration into adipose tissue, insulin resistance, and hepatic steatosis in obesity,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. 1494–1505, 2006.
- S. P. Weisberg, D. Hunter, R. Huber, et al., “CCR2 modulates inflammatory and metabolic effects of high-fat feeding,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 115–124, 2006.
- B. H. Ali, G. Blunden, M. O. Tanira, and A. Nemmar, “Some phytochemical, pharmacological and toxicological properties of ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe): a review of recent research,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 409–420, 2008.
- S. Tripathi, K. G. Maier, D. Bruch, and D. S. Kittur, “Effect of 6-gingerol on pro-inflammatory cytokine production and costimulatory molecule expression in murine peritoneal macrophages,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 209–213, 2007.
- S. Dugasani, M. R. Pichika, V. D. Nadarajah, M. K. Balijepalli, S. Tandra, and J. N. Korlakunta, “Comparative antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of -gingerol, -gingerol, -gingerol and -shogaol,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 515–520, 2010.
- S. Shim, S. Kim, D. S. Choi, Y. B. Kwon, and J. Kwon, “Anti-inflammatory effects of -shogaol: potential roles of HDAC inhibition and HSP70 induction,” Food Chemical Toxicology, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 2734–2740, 2011.
- H. Y. Lee, S. H. Park, M. Lee, et al., “1-Dehydro--gingerdione from gingerinhibits IKKβ activity for NF-κB activation and suppresses NF-κB-regulated expression of inflammatory genes,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 128–140, 2012.
- A. Kennedy, K. Martinez, C. C. Chuang, K. Lapoint, and M. Mcintosh, “Saturated fatty acid-mediated inflammation and insulin resistance in adipose tissue: mechanisms of action and implications,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2009.
- S. Talukdar, Y. O. Da, G. Bandyopadhyay, et al., “Neutrophils mediate insulin resistance in mice fed a high-fat diet through secreted elastase,” Nature Medicine, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1407–1412, 2012.
- Z. He, T. Jiang, Z. Wang, M. Levi, and J. Li, “Modulation of carbohydrate response element-binding protein gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes and rat adipose tissue,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 3, pp. E424–E430, 2004.
- C. Hurtado del Pozo, G. Vesperinas-García, M. Á. Rubio, et al., “ChREBP expression in the liver, adipose tissue and differentiated preadipocytes in human obesity,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1811, no. 12, pp. 1194–1200, 2011.
- Y. Isa, Y. Miyakawa, M. Yanagisawa et al., “6-Shogaol and 6-gingerol, the pungent of ginger, inhibit TNF-α mediated downregulation of adiponectin expression via different mechanisms in 3T3-L1 adipocytes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 373, no. 3, pp. 429–434, 2008.