- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 595128, 9 pages
Novel Bioactivity of Ellagic Acid in Inhibiting Human Platelet Activation
1Department of Anesthesiology, Shin Kong Wu Ho-Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei 111, Taiwan
2School of Medicine, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei 242, Taiwan
3Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Taipei Medical University, 250 Wu-Hsing Street, Taipei 110, Taiwan
4Department of Pharmacology, Taipei Medical University, 250 Wu-Hsing Street, Taipei 110, Taiwan
5Department of Cardiology, Cathay General Hospital, Section 4, No. 280, Jen-Ai Road, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Received 6 December 2012; Accepted 4 January 2013
Academic Editor: Tzeng-Ji Chen
Copyright © 2013 Yi Chang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Genkinger, E. A. Platz, S. C. Hoffman, G. W. Comstock, and K. J. Helzlsouer, “Fruit, vegetable, and antioxidant intake and all-cause, cancer, and cardiovascular disease mortality in a community-dwelling population in Washington County, Maryland,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 160, no. 12, pp. 1223–1233, 2004.
- N. P. Seeram, L. S. Adams, S. M. Henning et al., “In vitro antiproliferative, apoptotic and antioxidant activities of punicalagin, ellagic acid and a total pomegranate tannin extract are enhanced in combination with other polyphenols as found in pomegranate juice,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 360–367, 2005.
- M. I. Gil, F. A. Tomas-Barberan, B. Hess-Pierce, D. M. Holcroft, and A. A. Kader, “Antioxidant activity of pomegranate juice and its relationship with phenolic composition and processing,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 4581–4589, 2000.
- P. S. Makena and K. T. Chung, “Effects of various plant polyphenols on bladder carcinogen benzidine-induced mutagenicity,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1899–1909, 2007.
- D. Prakash, S. Suri, G. Upadhyay, and B. N. Singh, “Total phenol, antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of some medicinal plants,” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 18–28, 2007.
- M. Falsaperla, G. Morgia, A. Tartarone, R. Ardito, and G. Romano, “Support ellagic acid therapy in patients with hormone refractory prostate cancer (HRPC) on standard chemotherapy using vinorelbine and estramustine phosphate,” European Urology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 449–454, 2005.
- W. A. Smith, J. M. Arif, and R. C. Gupta, “Effect of cancer chemopreventive agents on microsome-mediated DNA adduction of the breast carcinogen dibenzo[a,l]pyrene,” Mutation Research, vol. 412, no. 3, pp. 307–314, 1998.
- K. C. Thresiamma, J. George, and R. Kuttan, “Protective effect of curcumin, ellagic acid and bixin on radiation induced genotoxicity,” Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 431–434, 1998.
- B. A. Narayanan, O. Geoffroy, M. C. Willingham, G. G. Re, and D. W. Nixon, “p53/p21(WAF1/CIP1) expression and its possible role in G1 arrest and apoptosis in ellagic acid treated cancer cells,” Cancer Letters, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 215–221, 1999.
- J. R. Sheu, C. R. Lee, C. H. Lin et al., “Mechanisms involved in the antiplatelet activity of Staphylococcus aureus lipoteichoic acid in human platelets,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 777–784, 2000.
- A. Umar, V. Guerin, M. Renard et al., “Effects of armagnac extracts on human platelet function in vitro and on rat arteriovenous shunt thrombosis in vivo,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 110, no. 2-3, pp. 135–140, 2003.
- N. A. Al Awwadi, A. Borrot-Bouttefroy, A. Umar et al., “Effect of armagnac fractions on human platelet aggregation in vitro and on rat arteriovenous shunt thrombosis in vivo probably not related only to polyphenols,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 407–413, 2007.
- N. Liu, J. T. Liu, and Q. Z. Zhang, “Ellagic acid-induced hypercoagulable state in animals: a potentially useful animal hypercoagulable model for evaluation of anticoagulants,” Chinese Medical Sciences Journal, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 237–242, 2010.
- D. S. Chou, G. Hsiao, M. Y. Shen, Y. J. Tsai, T. F. Chen, and J. R. Sheu, “ESR spin trapping of a carbon-centered free radical from agonist-stimulated human platelets,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 237–248, 2005.
- W. D. Singer, H. A. Brown, and P. C. Sternweis, “Regulation of eukaryotic phosphatidylinositol-specific phospholipase C and phospholipase D,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 66, pp. 475–509, 1997.
- M. Tyers, R. A. Rachubinski, M. I. Stewart et al., “Molecular cloning and expression of the major protein kinase C substrate of platelets,” Nature, vol. 333, no. 6172, pp. 470–473, 1988.
- M. Aviram, M. Rosenblat, D. Gaitini et al., “Pomegranate juice consumption for 3 years by patients with carotid artery stenosis reduces common carotid intima-media thickness, blood pressure and LDL oxidation,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 423–433, 2004.
- P. Mangin, Y. Yuan, I. Goncalves et al., “Signaling role for phospholipase Cγ2 in platelet glycoprotein Ibα calcium flux and cytoskeletal reorganization: involvement of a pathway distinct from FcRγ chain and FcγRIIA,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 35, pp. 32880–32891, 2003.
- A. Pascale, M. Amadio, S. Govoni, and F. Battaini, “The aging brain, a key target for the future: the protein kinase C involvement,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 560–569, 2007.
- T. D. Bunney and M. Katan, “Phospholipase C epsilon: linking second messengers and small GTPases,” Trends in Cell Biology, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 640–648, 2006.
- A. Ragab, S. Séverin, M. P. Gratacap et al., “Roles of the C-terminal tyrosine residues of LAT in GPVI-induced platelet activation: insights into the mechanism of PLCγ2 activation,” Blood, vol. 110, no. 7, pp. 2466–2474, 2007.
- F. Bugaud, F. Nadal-Wollbold, S. Lévy-Toledano, J. P. Rosa, and M. Bryckaert, “Regulation of c-Jun-NH2 terminal kinase and extracellular-signal regulated kinase in human platelets,” Blood, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 3800–3805, 1999.
- P. E. Hughes, M. W. Renshaw, M. Pfaff et al., “Suppression of integrin activation: a novel function of a Ras/Raf- initiated MAP kinase pathway,” Cell, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 521–530, 1997.
- L. Coulon, C. Calzada, P. Moulin, E. Véricel, and M. Lagarde, “Activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase/cytosolic phospholipase A2 cascade in hydroperoxide-stressed platelets,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 616–625, 2003.
- T. F. Franke, S. I. Yang, T. O. Chan et al., “The protein kinase encoded by the Akt proto-oncogene is a target of the PDGF-activated phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase,” Cell, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 727–736, 1995.
- T. Jayakumar, W. F. Chen, W. J. Lu, et al., “A novel antithrombotic effect of sulforaphane via activation of platelet adenylate cyclase: ex vivo and in vivo studies,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 2012.
- J. R. Sheu, W. C. Hung, C. H. Wu et al., “Reduction in lipopolysaccharide-induced thrombocytopenia by triflavin in a rat model of septicemia,” Circulation, vol. 99, no. 23, pp. 3056–3062, 1999.
- G. B. Daou and A. K. Srivastava, “Reactive oxygen species mediate Endothelin-1-induced activation of ERK1/2, PKB, and Pyk2 signaling, as well as protein synthesis, in vascular smooth muscle cells,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 208–215, 2004.
- W. H. Tang, J. Stitham, S. Gleim, et al., “Glucose and collagen regulate human platelet activity through aldose reductase induction of thromboxane,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 121, no. 11, pp. 4462–4476, 2011.