- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 645257, 11 pages
Isolation of Resveratrol from Vitis Viniferae Caulis and Its Potent Inhibition of Human Tyrosinase
BK21 Medical Education Program for Human Resources, Department of Molecular Medicine and Cell and Matrix Research Institute, Kyungpook National University School of Medicine, Jung-gu, Daegu 700-422, Republic of Korea
Received 2 November 2012; Revised 27 December 2012; Accepted 5 January 2013
Academic Editor: Senthamil R. Selvan
Copyright © 2013 Jiaa Park and Yong Chool Boo. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. E. Costin and V. J. Hearing, “Human skin pigmentation: melanocytes modulate skin color in response to stress,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 976–994, 2007.
- J. H. Epstein, “Photocarcinogenesis, skin cancer, and aging,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 487–502, 1983.
- J. A. D'Orazio, T. Nobuhisa, R. Cui et al., “Topical drug rescue strategy and skin protection based on the role of Mc1r in UV-induced tanning,” Nature, vol. 443, no. 7109, pp. 340–344, 2006.
- Y. Yamaguchi, J. Z. Beer, and V. J. Hearing, “Melanin mediated apoptosis of epidermal cells damaged by ultraviolet radiation: factors influencing the incidence of skin cancer,” Archives of Dermatological Research, vol. 300, supplement 1, pp. S43–S50, 2008.
- J. Cabanes, S. Chazarra, and F. Garcia-Carmona, “Kojic acid, a cosmetic skin whitening agent, is a slow-binding inhibitor of catecholase activity of tyrosinase,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 982–985, 1994.
- K. Maeda and M. Fukuda, “Arbutin: mechanism of its depigmenting action in human melanocyte culture,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 276, no. 2, pp. 765–769, 1996.
- M. V. Schiaffino, “Signaling pathways in melanosome biogenesis and pathology,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 1094–1104, 2010.
- C. Olivares and F. Solano, “New insights into the active site structure and catalytic mechanism of tyrosinase and its related proteins,” Pigment Cell and Melanoma Research, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 750–760, 2009.
- G. Cardinali, S. Ceccarelli, D. Kovacs et al., “Keratinocyte growth factor promotes melanosome transfer to keratinocytes,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 1190–1199, 2005.
- F. Solano, S. Briganti, M. Picardo, and G. Ghanem, “Hypopigmenting agents: an updated review on biological, chemical and clinical aspects,” Pigment Cell Research, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 550–571, 2006.
- S. M. Anu, H. J. Kim, J. E. Kim, and Y. C. Boo, “Flavonoids, taxifolin and luteolin attenuate cellular melanogenesis despite increasing tyrosinase protein levels,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1200–1207, 2008.
- J. K. Hyo, M. A. Sang, and C. B. Yong, “A dual mechanism of 4-hydroxy-5-methyl-3[2H]-furanone inhibiting cellular melanogenesis,” Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 117–125, 2008.
- Y. J. Kim and H. Uyama, “Tyrosinase inhibitors from natural and synthetic sources: structure, inhibition mechanism and perspective for the future,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 62, no. 15, pp. 1707–1723, 2005.
- T. S. Chang, “An updated review of tyrosinase inhibitors,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 2440–2475, 2009.
- B. S. Kwon, A. K. Haq, S. H. Pomerantz, and R. Halaban, “Isolation and sequence of a cDNA clone for human tyrosinase that maps at the mouse c-albino locus,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 84, no. 21, pp. 7473–7477, 1987.
- H. J. Wichers, K. Recourt, M. Hendriks et al., “Cloning, expression and characterisation of two tyrosinase cDNAs from Agaricus bisporus,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 336–341, 2003.
- K. Takara, H. Iwasaki, K. Ujihara, and K. Wada, “Human tyrosinase inhibitor in rum distillate wastewater,” Journal of Oleo Science, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 191–196, 2008.
- S. M. An, J. S. Koh, and Y. C. Boo, “p-coumaric acid not only inhibits human tyrosinase activity in vitro but also melanogenesis in cells exposed to UVB,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1175–1180, 2010.
- M. Kim, S. M. An, J. S. Koh, D. I. Jang, and Y. C. Boo, “Use of non-melanocytic HEK293 cells stably expressing human tyrosinase for the screening of anti-melanogenic agents,” Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 515–523, 2011.
- M. Kim, J. Park, K. Song, H. G. Kim, J. S. Koh, and Y. C. Boo, “Screening of plant extracts for human tyrosinase inhibiting effects,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 202–208, 2012.
- S. M. An, J. S. Koh, and Y. C. Boo, “Inhibition of melanogenesis by tyrosinase siRNA in human melanocytes,” BMB Reports, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 178–183, 2009.
- H. S. Lee, B. W. Lee, M. R. Kim, and J. G. Jun, “Syntheses of resveratrol and its hydroxylated derivatives as radical scavenger and tyrosinase inhibitor,” Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 971–975, 2010.
- S. M. An, S. I. Lee, S. W. Choi, S. W. Moon, and Y. C. Boo, “p-Coumaric acid, a constituent of Sasa quelpaertensis Nakai, inhibits cellular melanogenesis stimulated by α-melanocyte stimulating hormone,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 159, no. 2, pp. 292–299, 2008.
- H. Y. Park, M. Kosmadaki, M. Yaar, and B. A. Gilchrest, “Cellular mechanisms regulating human melanogenesis,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1493–1506, 2009.
- N. Branza-Nichita, G. Negroiu, A. J. Petrescu et al., “Mutations at critical N-glycosylation sites reduce tyrosinase activity by altering folding and quality control,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 11, pp. 8169–8175, 2000.
- P. Bernard and J. Y. Berthon, “Resveratrol: an original mechanism on tyrosinase inhibition,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 219–226, 2000.
- A. G. Gonzalvez, A. Gonzalez Urena, R. J. Lewis, and G. van der Zwan, “Spectroscopy and kinetics of tyrosinase catalyzed trans-resveratrol oxidation,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 116, no. 8, pp. 2553–2560, 2012.
- H. Satooka and I. Kubo, “Resveratrol as a kcat type inhibitor for tyrosinase: potentiated melanogenesis inhibitor,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 1090–1099, 2012.
- Y. M. Kim, J. Yun, C. K. Lee, H. Lee, K. R. Min, and Y. Kim, “Oxyresveratrol and hydroxystilbene compounds. Inhibitory effect on tyrosinase and mechanism of action,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 18, pp. 16340–16344, 2002.
- M. Yanagihara, M. Yoshimatsu, A. Inoue, T. Kanno, T. Tatefuji, and K. Hashimoto, “Inhibitory effect of gnetin C, a resveratrol dimer from melinjo (Gnetum gnemon), on tyrosinase activity and melanin biosynthesis,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 993–996, 2012.
- R. A. Newton, A. L. Cook, D. W. Roberts, J. H. Leonard, and R. A. Sturm, “Post-transcriptional regulation of melanin biosynthetic enzymes by cAMP and resveratrol in human melanocytes,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 127, no. 9, pp. 2216–2227, 2007.
- S. Y. Kim, K. C. Park, S. B. Kwon, and D. S. Kim, “Hypopigmentary effects of 4-n-butylresorcinol and resveratrol in combination,” Pharmazie, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 542–546, 2012.
- N. C. Yang, C. H. Lee, and T. Y. Song, “Evaluation of resveratrol oxidation in vitro and the crucial role of bicarbonate ions,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 2010.
- M. Nassiri-Asl and H. Hosseinzadeh, “Review of the pharmacological effects of Vitis vinifera (grape) and its bioactive compounds,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 1197–1204, 2009.
- K. T. Lee, K. S. Lee, J. H. Jeong, B. K. Jo, M. Y. Heo, and H. P. Kim, “Inhibitory effects of Ramulus mori extracts on melanogenesis,” Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 133–142, 2003.
- K. T. Park, J. K. Kim, D. Hwang, Y. Yoo, and Y. H. Lim, “Inhibitory effect of mulberroside A and its derivatives on melanogenesis induced by ultraviolet B irradiation,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 3038–3045, 2011.