- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 659391, 7 pages
Antidepressive-Like Property of Dichloromethane Fraction of Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus and Relevance of Monoamine Metabolic Enzymes
1Department of Physiological Sciences, Federal University of Goiás, Campus Samambaia, 74001-970 Goiâania, GO, Brazil
2Laboratory of Neuropharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, CEP 88040-970 BLOC D CCB, Federal University of Santa Catarina, UFSC, Florianópolis, SC, Brazil
3Sciences and Technology Unit, Goias State University, BR 153, No. 3105, CEP 75132-903, Fazenda Barreiro do Meio, Anápolis, GO, Brazil
4Faculty of Pharmacy, Federal University of Goiás, Setor Universitário, CEP 74001-970 Goiâania, GO, Brazil
5Department of Physiological Sciences, Institute of Biology, Federal Rural University of Rio de Janeiro, BR465, km 07, Seropédica, 23890-000 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Received 29 September 2012; Revised 6 December 2012; Accepted 6 December 2012
Academic Editor: David Mischoulon
Copyright © 2013 James Oluwagbamigbe Fajemiroye et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. R. Landrum, “Monography 45: campomanesia, pimenta, blepharocalyx, legrandia, acca, myrrhinium, and luma (Myrtaceae),” Flora Neotropica, vol. 4, pp. 72–115, 1986.
- L. R. Landrum and M. L. Kawasaki, “The genera of Myrtaceae in Brazil: an illustrated synoptic treatment and identification keys,” Brittonia, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 508–536, 1997.
- M. Nakaoka-Sakita, O. T. Aguiar, M. Yatagai, and T. Igarashi, “Óleo essencial de Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus var. pseudocaryophyllus (Gomes) Landrum (Myrtaceae) I: cromatografia a gás/espectrometria de massa (CC/EM),” A Revista do Instituto Florestal, vol. 6, pp. 53–61, 1994.
- M. E. L. Lima, I. Cordeiro, M. C. M. Young, M. E. G. Sobra, and P. R. H. Moreno, “Antimicrobial activity of the essential oil from two specimens of Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus (Gomes) L.R. Landrum (Myrtaceae) native from São Paulo State-Brazil,” Pharmacologyonline, vol. 3, pp. 589–593, 2006.
- J. A. M. Paula, J. R. Paula, M. T. F. Bara, M. H. Rezende, and H. D. Ferreira, “Pharmacognostic study about Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus (Gomes) L. R. Landrum leaves-Myrtaceae,” Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 265–278, 2008.
- B. C. B. dos Santos, J. C. T. da Silva, P. G. Guerrero, G. G. Leitão, and L. E. S. Barata, “Isolation of chavibetol from essential oil of Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus leaf by high-speed counter-current chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1216, no. 19, pp. 4303–4306, 2009.
- J. O. Fajemiroye, E. S. Araujo, P. M. Galdino et al., “Alterações comportamentais induzidas pelo óleo essencial extraído das folhas de Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus (Gomes) L. R. Landrum,” in XXI Simpósio de Plantas Medicinais do Brasil. Plantas Medicinais, vol. 121, Utilização e Conservação, Avanços, Brasil, 2010.
- J. O. Fajemiroye, P. M. Galdino, S. F. Alves et al., “Involvement of 5-HT1A in the anxiolytic-like effect of dichloromethane fraction of Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 3, pp. 872–877, 2012.
- J. O. Fajemiroye, J. L. R. Martins, A. F. Brito, J. A. M. Paula, J. R. Paula, and E. A. Costa, “Neuropharmacological activity of Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus (Gomes) L.R. Landrum,” Planta Medica, vol. 77, p. 1401, 2011.
- P. Blier, “The pharmacology of putative early-onset antidepressant strategies,” European Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 57–66, 2003.
- M. M. Antony, “Assessment and treatment of social phobia,” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 42, pp. 826–834, 1997.
- D. V. Sheehan and C. G. Mao, “Paroxetine treatment of generalized anxiety disorder,” Psychopharmacology Bulletin, vol. 37, pp. 64–75, 2003.
- J. Zohar and H. G. Westenberg, “Anxiety disorders: a review of tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, supplement 403, pp. 39–49, 2000.
- O. Kalus, G. M. Asnis, E. Rubinson et al., “Desipramine treatment in panic disorder,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 239–244, 1991.
- W. Katon, “Panic disorder: epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment in primary care,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 47, pp. 21–30, 1986.
- M. W. Jann and N. M. Kurtz, “Treatment of panic and phobic disorders,” Clinical Pharmacy, vol. 6, pp. 947–962, 1987.
- M. H. Trivedi, A. J. Rush, T. J. Carmody et al., “Do bupropion SR and sertraline differ in their effects on anxiety in depressed patients?” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 776–781, 2001.
- A. J. Rush, M. H. Trivedi, T. J. Carmody et al., “Response in relation to baseline anxiety levels in major depressive disorder treated with bupropion sustained release or sertraline,” Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 131–138, 2001.
- M. Hattesohl, B. Feistel, H. Sievers, R. Lehnfeld, M. Hegger, and H. Winterhoff, “Extracts of Valeriana officinalis L. s.l. show anxiolytic and antidepressant effects but neither sedative nor myorelaxant properties,” Phytomedicine, vol. 15, no. 1-2, pp. 2–15, 2008.
- D. Braida, V. Capurro, A. Zani et al., “Potential anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects of salvinorin A, the main active ingredient of Salvia divinorum, in rodents,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 157, no. 5, pp. 844–853, 2009.
- L. Steru, R. Chermat, B. Thierry, and P. Simon, “The tail suspension test: a new method for screening antidepressants in mice,” Psychopharmacology, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 367–370, 1985.
- R. D. Porsolt, A. Bertin, and M. Jalfre, “Behavioral despair in mice: a primary screening test for antidepressants,” Archives Internationales de Pharmacodynamie et de Therapie, vol. 229, no. 2, pp. 327–336, 1977.
- A. Holt, D. F. Sharman, G. B. Baker, and M. M. Palcic, “A continuous spectrophotometric assay for monoamine oxidase and related enzymes in tissue homogenates,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 244, no. 2, pp. 384–392, 1997.
- B. Zhou, X. Li, Z. Qiu, and G. Liu, “Effect of leaves of Apocynum venetum L. on the activity of MAO in mice,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 2584–2586, 2011.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- G. B. Drummond and B. D. M. Tom, “How can we tell if frogs jump further?” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 164, pp. 209–212, 2011.
- G. B. Drummond and B. D. M. Tom, “Statistics, probability, significance, likelihood: words mean what we define them to mean,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 164, pp. 1573–1576, 2011.
- J. A. M. Paula, M. R. R. Silva, M. P. Costa et al., “Phytochemical analysis and antimicrobial, antinociceptive, and anti-inflammatory activities of two chemotypes of Pimenta pseudocaryophyllus (Myrtaceae),” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 420715, 15 pages, 2012.
- T. J. Connor, J. P. Kelly, and B. E. Leonard, “Forced swim test-induced endocrine and immune changes in the rat: Effect of subacute desipramine treatment,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 171–177, 1998.
- J. F. Cryan, A. Markou, and I. Lucki, “Assessing antidepressant activity in rodents: recent developments and future needs,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 238–245, 2002.
- A. Frazer and S. Benmansour, “Delayed pharmacological effects of antidepressants,” Molecular Psychiatry, vol. 7, pp. S23–S28, 2002.
- J. C. Nelson, C. M. Mazure, P. I. Jatlow, M. B. Bowers Jr., and L. H. Price, “Combining norepinephrine and serotonin reuptake inhibition mechanisms for treatment of depression: a double-blind, randomized study,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 296–300, 2004.
- M. L. Wong and J. Licinio, “Research and treatment approaches to depression,” Nature Reviews Neuroscience, vol. 2, pp. 343–351, 2001.
- M. Geyer and A. Markou, “Secondary animal models of psychiatric disorders,” in Psychopharmacology: The Fourth Generation of Progress, F. Bloom and D. Kupfer, Eds., pp. 787–798, Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- A. P. West, “Neurobehavioral studies of forced swimming: the role of learning and memory in the forced swim test,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 14, pp. 863–877, 1990.
- V. Castagné, P. Moser, S. Roux, and R. D. Porsolt, “Rodent models of depression: forced swim and tail suspension behavioral despair tests in rats and mice,” Current Protocols in Neuroscience. In press.
- M. J. Detke, J. Johnson, and I. Lucki, “Acute and chronic antidepressant drug treatment in the rat forced swimming test model of depression,” Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 107–112, 1997.
- S. R. Bodnoff, B. Suranyi-Cadotte, D. H. Aitken, R. Quirion, and M. J. Meaney, “The effects of chronic antidepressant treatment in an animal model of anxiety,” Psychopharmacology, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 298–302, 1988.
- G. F. Aragão, L. M. V. Carneiro, A. P. F. Junior et al., “A possible mechanism for anxiolytic and antidepressant effects of alpha- and beta-amyrin from Protium heptaphyllum (Aubl.) March,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 827–834, 2006.
- Y. Zhou, Y. H. Shen, C. Zhang, J. Su, R. H. Liu, and W. D. Zhang, “Triterpene saponins from Bacopa monnieri and their antidepressant effects in two mice models,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 652–655, 2007.
- J. L. Maia, R. C. P. Lima-Júnior, J. P. David, J. M. David, F. A. Santos, and V. S. Rao, “Oleanolic acid, a pentacyclic triterpene attenuates the mustard oil-induced colonic nociception in mice,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 82–85, 2006.
- D. S. Charney, “Monoamine dysfunction and the pathophysiology and treatment of depression,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 59, pp. 11–14, 1998.
- H. L. Miller, P. L. Delgado, R. M. Salomon et al., “Clinical and biochemical effects of catecholamine depletion on antidepressant-induced remission of depression,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 117–128, 1996.
- Z. Zhao, M. A. Baros, H. Zhang et al., “Norepinephrine transporter regulation mediates the long- term behavioral effects of the antidepressant desipramine,” Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 33, pp. 3190–3200, 2008.
- P. M. Whitaker-Azmitia, A. Borella, and N. Raio, “Serotonin depletion in the adult rat causes loss of the dendritic marker MAP-2. A new animal model of schizophrenia,” Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 269–272, 1995.
- H. L. Miller, P. L. Delgado, R. M. Salomon, G. R. Heninger, and D. S. Charnery, “Effects of alpha-methyl-para-tyrosine (AMPT) in drug free depressed patients,” Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 14, pp. 151–157, 1996.
- R. W. Lam, E. M. Tam, A. Grewal, and L. N. Yatham, “Effects of alpha-methyl-para-tyrosine-induced catecholamine depletion in patients with seasonal affective disorder in summer remission,” Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. S97–S101, 2001.
- R. M. Salomon, H. L. Miller, P. L. Delgado, and D. Charney, “The use of tryptophan depletion to evaluate central serotonin function in depression and other neuropsychiatric disorders,” International Clinical Psychopharmacology, supplement 2, pp. 41–46, 1993.
- M. J. Millan, “Multi-target strategies for the improved treatment of depressive states: conceptual foundations and neuronal substrates, drug discovery and therapeutic application,” Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 110, pp. 135–370, 2006.
- J. Knoll, “The history of (-)deprenyl the first selective inhibitor of type B monoamine oxidase,” Voprosy Meditsinskoj Khimii, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 490–493, 1997.
- J. Wouters, “Structural aspect of monoamine oxidaseand its reversible inhibition,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 5, pp. 137–162, 1988.
- V. Butterweck, “Mechanism of action of St John's wort in depression: what is known?” CNS Drugs, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 539–562, 2003.
- D. L. Murphy, F. Karoum, D. Pickar et al., “Differential trace amine alterations in individuals receiving acetylenic inhibitors of MAO-A (clorgyline) or MAO-B (selegiline and pargyline),” Journal of Neural Transmission, supplement 52, pp. 39–48, 1998.
- A. D. Williams, “Antidepressants,” in Principles of Medicinal Chemistry, pp. 590–591, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Hagerstwon, Md, USA, 2007.