- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 679248, 10 pages
Safety and Effectiveness of Vibration Massage by Deep Oscillations: A Prospective Observational Study
1Chair of Complementary Medicine, Center of Internal Medicine, Rostock University Medicine, Ernst-Heydemann-Straße 6, 18057 Rostock, Germany
2Ernst von Bergmann Clinical Center, Center of Anesthesia, Intensive Care and Surgery Management, Charlottenstraße 72, 14467 Potsdam, Germany
Received 3 May 2013; Revised 29 July 2013; Accepted 28 August 2013
Academic Editor: Winfried Häuser
Copyright © 2013 Karin Kraft et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Alok, S. K. Das, G. G. Agarwal, L. Salwahan, and R. Srivastava, “Relationship of severity of depression, anxiety and stress with severity of fibromyalgia,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. S70–S72, 2011.
- J. C. Branco, B. Bannwarth, I. Failde et al., “Prevalence of fibromyalgia: a survey in five European countries,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 448–453, 2010.
- F. Wolfe, E. Brahler, A. Hinz, and W. Hauser, “Fibromyalgia prevalence, somatic symptom reporting, and the dimensionality of polysymptomatic distress: results from a survey of the general population,” Arthritis Care & Research, vol. 65, pp. 777–785, 2013.
- A. Boonen, R. van den Heuvel, A. van Tubergen et al., “Large differences in cost of illness and wellbeing between patients with fibromyalgia, chronic low back pain, or ankylosing spondylitis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 396–402, 2005.
- Y. Zhao, P. Sun, P. Watson, B. Mitchell, and R. Swindle, “Comparison of medication adherence and healthcare costs between duloxetine and pregabalin initiators among patients with fibromyalgia,” Pain Practice, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 204–216, 2011.
- K. Phillips and D. J. Clauw, “Central pain mechanisms in chronic pain states—maybe it is all in their head,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 141–154, 2011.
- H. Y. Ge, H. Nie, P. Madeleine, B. Danneskiold-Samsøe, T. Graven-Nielsen, and L. Arendt-Nielsen, “Contribution of the local and referred pain from active myofascial trigger points in fibromyalgia syndrome,” Pain, vol. 147, no. 1-3, pp. 233–240, 2009.
- J. A. Glombiewski, A. T. Sawyer, J. Gutermann, K. Koenig, W. Rief, and S. G. Hofmann, “Psychological treatments for fibromyalgia: a meta-analysis,” Pain, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 280–295, 2010.
- D. A. Williams, D. Kuper, M. Segar, N. Mohan, M. Sheth, and D. J. Clauw, “Internet-enhanced management of fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial,” Pain, vol. 151, no. 3, pp. 694–702, 2010.
- W. Häuser, P. Klose, J. Langhorst et al., “Efficacy of different types of aerobic exercise in fibromyalgia syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 12, no. 3, p. R79, 2010.
- K. Bernardy, N. Füber, V. Köllner, and W. Häuser, “Efficacy of cognitive-behavioral therapies in fibromyalgia syndrome—a systematic review and metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1991–2005, 2010.
- L. Kalichman, “Massage therapy for fibromyalgia symptoms,” Rheumatology International, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1151–1157, 2010.
- R. Brenke and W. Siems, “Adjuvante Therapie beim Lymphödem,” Lymphol/Lymphologie Aktuell, vol. 20, pp. 25–29, 1996.
- V. Gasbarro, R. Bartoletti, E. Tsolaki et al., “Ruolo dell`oscilazione profonda (HIVAMAT 200) nel trattamento fisico del linfedema degli arti,” La Medicina Estetica, vol. 30, pp. 373–378, 2006.
- R. Aliyev, “Clinical effects of the therapy method deep oscillation in treatment of sports injuries,” Sportverletzung-Sportschaden, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 31–34, 2009.
- S. Jahr, B. Schoppe, and A. Reisshauer, “Effect of treatment with low-intensity and extremely low-frequency electrostatic fields (deep oscillation) on breast tissue and pain in patients with secondary breast lymphoedema,” Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 645–650, 2008.
- F. Wolfe, H. A. Smythe, M. B. Yunus et al., “The American college of rheumatology 1990. Criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Report of the multicenter criteria committee,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 160–172, 1990.
- C. H. Wurmthaler, H. U. Gerbershagen, G. Dietz, J. Korb, P. Nilges, and S. Schillig, “Chronifizierung und psychologische Merkmale—Die Beziehung zwischen Chronifizierungsstadien bei Schmerz und psychophysischem Befinden, Behinderung und familiären Merkmalen,” Zeitschrift für Gesundheitspsychologie, vol. 4, pp. 113–136, 1996.
- J. Frettlöh, C. Maier, H. Gockel, and M. Hüppe, “Validation of the German Mainz pain staging system in different pain syndromes,” Schmerz, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 240–251, 2003.
- Physiomed, 2010, http://www.physiomed.de/.
- M. Földi and R. Strößenreuther, Grundlagen Der Manuellen Lymphdrainage, Elsevier, Urban & Fischer, 4th edition, 2007.
- M. Offenbaecher, M. Waltz, and P. Schoeps, “Validation of a German version of the fibromyalgia impact questionnaire (FIQ-G),” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1984–1988, 2000.
- R. M. Bennett, A. G. Bushmakin, J. C. Cappelleri, G. Zlateva, and A. B. Sadosky, “Minimal clinically important difference in the fibromyalgia impact questionnaire,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1304–1311, 2009.
- R. M. Bennett, J. Schein, M. R. Kosinski, D. J. Hewitt, D. M. Jordan, and N. R. Rosenthal, “Impact of fibromyalgia pain on health-related quality of life before and after treatment with tramadol/acetaminophen,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 519–527, 2005.
- D. D. Price, P. A. McGrath, A. Rafii, and B. Buckingham, “The validation of visual analogue scales as ratio scale measures for chronic and experimental pain,” Pain, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 1983.
- J. E. Ware Jr. and C. D. Sherbourne, “The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection,” Medical Care, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 473–483, 1992.
- M. Bullinger and I. Kirchberger, SF-36 Fragebogen zum Gesundheitszustand. Handanweisung, Hogrefe, Göttingen, Germany, 1998.
- E. Geissner, Die Schmerzempfindungs-Skala (SES), Hogrefe für Psychologie, Göttingen, Germany, 1996.
- R. Steyer, P. Schwenkmezger, P. Notz, and M. Eid, Handanweisung zum Mehrdimensionalen Befindlichkeitsfragebogen, Hogrefe, Göttingen, Germany, 1997.
- J. L. Schafer, Analysis of Incomplete Multivariate Data, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1997.
- J. L. Schafer, “Multiple imputation: a primer,” Statistical Methods in Medical Research, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 3–15, 1999.
- SPSS, version 17, 2009, http://www.spss.com/.
- B. Nishishinya, G. Urrútia, B. Walitt et al., “Amitriptyline in the treatment of fibromyalgia: a systematic review of its efficacy,” Rheumatology, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 1741–1746, 2008.
- M. N. Joshi, R. Joshi, and A. P. Jain, “Effect of amitriptyline versus physiotherapy in management of fibromyalgia syndrome: what predicts a clinical benefit?” Journal of Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 55, pp. 185–189, 2009.
- G. Brattberg, “Connective tissue massage in the treatment of fibromyalgia,” European Journal of Pain, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 235–244, 1999.
- G. Ekici, Y. Bakar, T. Akbayrak, and I. Yuksel, “Comparison of manual lymph drainage therapy and connective tissue massage in women with fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 127–133, 2009.
- C. Gordon, C. Emiliozzi, and M. Zartarian, “Use of a mechanical massage technique in the treatment of fibromyalgia: a preliminary study,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 145–147, 2006.
- R. M. Bennett, R. Friend, K. D. Jones, R. Ward, B. K. Han, and R. L. Ross, “The revised fibromyalgia impact questionnaire (FIQR): validation and psychometric properties,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 11, no. 4, p. R120, 2009.
- S. C. de Andrade, R. F. de Carvalho, A. S. Soares, R. P. de Abreu Freitas, L. M. de Medeiros Guerra, and M. J. Vilar, “Thalassotherapy for fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial comparing aquatic exercises in sea water and water pool,” Rheumatology International, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 147–152, 2008.
- K. D. Jones, C. S. Burckhardt, A. A. Deodhar, N. A. Perrin, G. C. Hanson, and R. M. Bennett, “A six-month randomized controlled trial of exercise and pyridostigmine in the treatment of fibromyalgia,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 612–622, 2008.
- N. S. Roskell, S. M. Beard, Y. Zhao, and T. K. Le, “A meta-analysis of pain response in the treatment of fibromyalgia,” Pain Practice, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 516–527, 2011.
- P. Hannonen, K. Malminiemi, U. Yli-Kerttula, R. Isomeri, and P. Roponen, “A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of moclobemide and amitriptyline in the treatment of fibromyalgia in females without psychiatric disorder,” British Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1279–1286, 1998.
- R. Asplund, “Manual lymph drainage therapy using light massage for fibromyalgia sufferers: a pilot study,” Journal of Orthopaedic Nursing, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 192–196, 2003.
- D. L. Hoffman and E. M. Dukes, “The health status burden of people with fibromyalgia: a review of studies that assessed health status with the SF-36 or the SF-12,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 115–126, 2008.
- J. A. Verbunt, D. H. Pernot, and R. J. Smeets, “Disability and quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 6, p. 8, 2008.
- L. M. Arnold, D. J. Clauw, M. M. Wohlreich et al., “Efficacy of duloxetine in patients with fibromyalgia: pooled analysis of 4 placebo-controlled clinical trials,” Primary Care Companion to the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 237–243, 2009.
- A. K. Stuifbergen, S. A. Blozis, H. Becker et al., “A randomized controlled trial of a wellness intervention for women with fibromyalgia syndrome,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 305–318, 2010.
- T. Brockow, A. Wagner, A. Franke, M. Offenbächer, and K. L. Resch, “A randomized controlled trial on the effectiveness of mild water-filtered near infrared whole-body hyperthermia as an adjunct to a standard multimodal rehabilitation in the treatment of fibromyalgia,” The Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 67–75, 2007.
- R. Steyer, P. Schwenkmezger, P. Notz, and M. Eid, “Testtheoretische Analysen des Mehrdimensionalen Befindlichkeitsfragebogens (MDBF),” Diagnostica, vol. 40, pp. 320–328, 1994.
- P. H. Finan and A. J. Zautra, “Fibromyalgia and fatigue: central processing, widespread dysfunction,” PM&R, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 431–437, 2010.
- E. Baumgartner, A. Finckh, C. Cedraschi, and T. L. Vischer, “A six year prospective study of a cohort of patients with fibromyalgia,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 644–645, 2002.