- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 703815, 14 pages
Shengmai Injection, a Traditional Chinese Patent Medicine, for Intradialytic Hypotension: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Department of Cardiology, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, Zhejiang 325027, China
Received 11 July 2012; Revised 5 October 2012; Accepted 11 October 2012
Academic Editor: Wolfgang Weidenhammer
Copyright © 2013 Chao-yang Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Bregman, J. T. Daugirdas, and T. S. Ing, “Complications during hemodialysis,” in Handbook of Dialysis, J. T. Daugirdas, P. G. Blake, and T. S. Ing, Eds., pp. 148–168, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 3rd edition, 2001.
- K/DOQI Workgroup, “K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for cardiovascular disease in dialysis patients,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 45, no. 4, supplement 3, pp. S1–S153, 2005.
- B. F. Palmer and W. L. Henrich, “Recent advances in the prevention and management of intradialytic hypotension,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 8–11, 2008.
- S. Dheenan and W. L. Henrich, “Preventing dialysis hypotension: a comparison of usual protective maneuvers,” Kidney International, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 1175–1181, 2001.
- T. Shoji, Y. Tsubakihara, M. Fujii, and E. Imai, “Hemodialysis-associated hypotension as an independent risk factor for two-year mortality in hemodialysis patients,” Kidney International, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 1212–1220, 2004.
- F. M. Van Der Sande, G. Wystrychowski, J. P. Kooman et al., “Control of core temperature and blood pressure stability during hemodialysis,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 93–98, 2009.
- W. Hayes and D. K. Hothi, “Intradialytic hypotension,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 867–879, 2011.
- G. A. Knoll, J. A. Grabowski, G. F. Dervin, and K. O'Rourke, “A randomized, controlled trial of albumin versus saline for the treatment of intradialytic hypotension,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 487–492, 2004.
- D. Moher, A. Liberati, J. Tetzlaff, D. G. Altman, and PRISMA Group, “Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 1006–1012, 2009.
- Y. Q. Yang, J. X. Wu, and J. X. Qian, “A study on the literature on sheng mai powder of past dynasties,” China Journal of Chinese Materia Medica, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 259–317, 1989 (Chinese).
- H. Nishida, M. Kushida, Y. Nakajima et al., “Amyloid-β-induced cytotoxicity of PC-12 cell was attenuated by Shengmai-san through redox regulation and outgrowth induction,” Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 73–81, 2007.
- H. Zheng, Y. Chen, J. Chen, J. Kwong, and W. Xiong, “Shengmai (a traditional Chinese herbal medicine) for heart failure,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 2, Article ID CD005052, 2011.
- Z. Y. Gao, C. Y. Guo, and D. Z. Shi, “Effect of shengmai injection on the fatality rate of patients with acute myocardial infarction: a systematic review,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1069–1073, 2008 (Chinese).
- G. F. Jiang, Y. D. Jiang, and T. Zhan, “A systematic review of shengmai injection in the treatment of post-acute myocardial infarction hypotension,” Chinese General Practice, vol. 14, no. 23, pp. 2644–2647, 2011 (Chinese).
- Z. X. Tan and X. Tian, “A review of the mechanism of SMI on regulating blood pressure,” Lishizhen Medicine and Materia Medica Research, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 691–692, 2004 (Chinese).
- J. H. Zhao, X. P. Qian, Q. Hu, Y. Bai, R. C. Liu, and Z. C. Wang, “Clinical observation of Shengmai injection on bidirectional regulation of blood pressure,” Journal of Emergency in Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 367–368, 2004 (Chinese).
- Y. Yang, X. Liu, L. Q. Zhang, X. Liu, and Y. X. Yao, “Effect of Shengmai injection on elderly patients with epidural anesthesia-induced hypotension,” Journal of Emergency in Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 442–443, 2005 (Chinese).
- Y. F. Dong, H. Zhuang, Y. J. Zhou, Q. Y. Li, and L. Xin, “Effect of Shengmai injection on blood pressure,” Liaoning Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 753–754, 2004 (Chinese).
- S. H. Xu and S. Y. Liu, “Progress on pharmacological effect of shengmai injection,” Chinese Pharmaceutical Affairs, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 405–407, 2010 (Chinese).
- J. Luo, C. H. Yang, F. Lu, and Y. Li, “Effect of Shengmai injection on left ventricular hypertrophy and angiotensin II in essential hypertensive patients,” Journal of Shandong University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 127–128, 2006 (Chinese).
- W. Lei, G. Muxin, and C. Xin, “Protective effects of Shengmai Injection on oxidative in cultured PC12 cells,” Chinese Journal of the Practical Chinese with Modern Medicine, vol. 4, no. 17, pp. 1792–1794, 2004 (Chinese).
- P. K. Leong, N. Chen, P. Y. Chiu et al., “Long-term treatment with shengmai san-derived herbal supplement (Wei Kang Su) enhances antioxidant response in various tissues of rats with protection against carbon tetrachloride hepatotoxicity,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 427–438, 2010.
- X. F. Ding, G. Chen, and Y. L. Liu, “Effects of Shengmai for injection on cardiogenic shock,” China Journal of Chinese Materia Medica, vol. 32, no. 21, pp. 2298–2305, 2007 (Chinese).
- Y. C. Zhang, R. M. Chen, B. J. Lu, and Y. Z. Rong, “Effect of Shengmai injection on cardiac function and inflammatory reaction in patients with Acute Coronary Syndrome,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 107–110, 2008.
- X. L. Sun, X. B. Zheng, and X. X. Zhou, “Influence of Shengmai injection on the expression of tumor necrosis factor-a and interleukin-8 in rat model of myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury,” Pharmacology and Clinics of Chinese Materia Medica, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 8–10, 2008 (Chinese).
- J. H. Yu, H. W. Guo, and M. M. Liu, “Impact of shengmal injection on changes of immunological function in patients after cardiopulmonary bypass,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 317–321, 2009 (Chinese).
- Z. G. Li and B. Song, “Clinical observation on Shengmai injection treatment of atrioventricular block,” Hainan Medical Journal, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 100–101, 2002 (Chinese).
- N. L. Wang, C. K. Chang, Y. L. Liou, C. L. Lin, and M. T. Lin, “Shengmai San, a Chinese herbal medicine protects against rat heat stroke by reducing inflammatory cytokines and nitric oxide formation,” Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2005.
- I. J. Chen, M. Y. Chang, S. L. Chiao et al., “Korean red ginseng improves blood pressure stability in patients with intradialytic hypotension,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 595271, 2012.
- C. Zheng, H. Hao, X. Wang et al., “Diagnostic fragment-ion-based extension strategy for rapid screening and identification of serial components of homologous families contained in traditional Chinese medicine prescription using high-resolution LC-ESI-IT-TOF/MS: Shengmai injection as an example,” Journal of Mass Spectrometry, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 230–244, 2009.
- Z. Xia, W. Jun, and H. Chunyan, “Progress of the research on determination of Shengmai preparations,” Lishizhen Medicine and Materia Medica Research, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 1243–1244, 2007 (Chinese).
- L. Wu, X. P. Ding, D. N. Zhu, B. Y. Yu, and Y. Q. Yan, “Study on the radical scavengers in the traditional Chinese medicine formula Shengmai San by HPLC-DAD coupled with chemiluminescence (CL) and ESI-MS/MS,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 438–445, 2010.
- Z. G. Wang, Ed., Blood Purification, Beijing Science and Technology Publishing House, 2nd edition, 2003.
- Z. J. Cao, F. L. Qian, and L. Jing, “Midodrine hydrochloride in the prevention and treatment of dialysis hypotension,” Chinese Journal of Blood Purification, vol. 2, pp. 461–462, 2003 (Chinese).
- A. D. Furlan, V. Pennick, C. Bombardier, and M. Van Tulder, “2009 Updated method guidelines for systematic reviews in the cochrane back review group,” Spine, vol. 34, no. 18, pp. 1929–1941, 2009.
- Q. P. Zhao, H. Y. Lv, and Q. Y. Lu, “Shengmai injection prevent and treat hypotension in hemodialysis,” Journal of Zhejiang University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 33, pp. 362–363, 2009 (Chinese).
- T. Chen, L. L. Lu, H. Li, and F. N. Jing, “Shengmai injection as an adjunctive treatment of 30 cases with hemodialysis induced hypotension,” China's Naturopathy, vol. 13, pp. 45–46, 2005 (Chinese).
- J. S. Zhao, N. W. Zhang, Y. H. Nie, X. Zhao, and L. L. Chen, “Clinical study of shengmai injection on preventing and treating hypotension of hemodialysis,” Jiangxi Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 30, pp. 16–17, 1999 (Chinese).
- J. Liu and Y. Su, “The of clinical effect of shengmai injection on dialysis-related hypotension,” China Clinical Practical Medicine, vol. 4, pp. 62–63, 2010 (Chinese).
- S. J. Zhou, “Clinical observation of shengmai injection in preventing and treating hemodialysis hypotension,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 14, pp. 120–101, 2007 (Chinese).
- S. T. Zheng, N. Li, and B. Hou, “Treatment of dialysis hypotension in elder patients with shengmai injection combined with hypertonic sugar liquid,” Clinical Misdiagnosis & Mistherapy, vol. 22, pp. 34–36, 2009 (Chinese).
- Y. F. Jiang, L. Q. He, and P. C. Shen, “Clinical observation of Shengmai injection combining Midodrine for treatment dialysis-related hypotension,” New Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 38, pp. 61–62, 2006 (Chinese).
- G. D. Lv and Y. X. Liu, “Clinical study of shengmai injection for treatment hypotension in elderly patients on maintenance hemodialysis,” Journal of Changchun University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 25, pp. 490–491, 2009 (Chinese).
- X. H. Wang, “Effect of pulse activating injection on hemodialysis related hypotension in senile patients with chronic renal failure,” Journal of Chinese General Practice, vol. 6, pp. 810–811, 2008 (Chinese).
- H. Yu, “Analysis of Shengmai Injection in the treatment of 36 cases with dialysis-related hypotension,” China Medical Herald, vol. 6, pp. 63–64, 2009 (Chinese).
- P. Cao, Y. H. Xiao, Y. L. Han, L. Zhu, and K. Ren, “Clinical observation of the effectiveness of Shenmai injection for the treatment of dialysis-related hypotension,” Chinese Journal of Clinicians, vol. 35, pp. 35–36, 2007 (Chinese).
- X. C. Li, “The analysis of Shenmai injection for the treatment of dialysis-related hypotension,” Guangzhou Medical Journal, vol. 32, pp. 45–46, 2001 (Chinese).
- C. De Angelis, J. M. Drazen, F. A. Frizelle et al., “Clinical trial registration: a statement from the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 924–925, 2005.
- E. Ernst and M. Lee, “A trial design that generates only "positive" results,” Journal of Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 214–216, 2008.
- K. F. Schulz, D. G. Altman, and D. Moher, “CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 7, no. 3, Article ID e1000251, 2010.
- T. X. Wu, Y. P. Li, Z. X. Bian et al., “Consolidated standards for reporting trials of traditional Chinese medicine (CONSORT for TCM) (for solicitation of comments),” Chinese Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 625–630, 2007.
- Z. Bian, B. Liu, D. Moher et al., “Consolidated standards of reporting trials (CONSORT) for traditional Chinese medicine: current situation and future development,” Frontiers of Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 171–117, 2011.