- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 748687, 9 pages
Antiresorptive Activity of Bacillus-Fermented Antler Extracts: Inhibition of Osteoclast Differentiation
1Laboratory of Translational Therapeutics, Pharmacology Research Center, Bio-Organic Science Division, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, P.O. Box 107, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-600, Republic of Korea
2Food Functional Research Division, Korean Food Research Institute, Sungnam 463-746, Republic of Korea
3Department of Pharmacy, Sunchon National University, Suncheon 540-742, Republic of Korea
4Department of Histology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Sankyuk-dong, Buk-gu, Daegu 702-701, Republic of Korea
5Korean Medicine Biofermentation Co. Ltd., Seoul 137-894, Republic of Korea
Received 4 July 2012; Revised 3 December 2012; Accepted 3 December 2012
Academic Editor: HuanBiao Mo
Copyright © 2013 Sik-Won Choi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. S. Lee, M. K. Kim, Y. K. Kim et al., “Stimulation of osteoblastic differentiation and mineralization in MC3T3-E1 cells by antler and fermented antler using Cordyceps militaris,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 710–717, 2011.
- P. Pothacharoen, K. Kodchakorn, and P. Kongtawelert, “Characterization of chondroitin sulfate from deer tip antler and osteogenic properties,” Glycoconjugate Journal, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 473–480, 2011.
- H. Y. Meng, X. B. Qu, N. Li, S. Yuan, and Z. Lin, “Effects of pilose antler and antler glue on osteoporosis of ovariectomized rats,” Zhong Yao Cai, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 179–182, 2009.
- Y. Li, Y. Zhao, X. Sun, and X. Qu, “Prevention and therapeutic effects of sika deer velvet collagen hydrolysate on osteoporosis in rats by retinoic acid,” Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 759–762, 2010.
- J. H. Yang, Y. Cao, R. L. Wang et al., “Anti-resorptive effect of pilose antler blood (cervus nippon temminck) in ovariectomized rats,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 554–558, 2010.
- H. A. Hong, H. Duc, and S. M. Cutting, “The use of bacterial spore formers as probiotics,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 813–835, 2005.
- S. Rozen and H. Skaletsky, “Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 132, pp. 365–386, 2000.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- S. W. Choi, J. T. Yeon, K. I. Park et al., “VapB as a regulator of osteoclastogenesis via modulation of PLCγ2-Ca2+-NFAT signaling,” FEBS Letters, vol. 586, no. 3, pp. 263–269, 2012.
- H. Takayanagi, “Osteoimmunology: shared mechanisms and crosstalk between the immune and bone systems,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 292–304, 2007.
- T. Koga, M. Inui, K. Inoue et al., “Costimulatory signals mediated by the ITAM motif cooperate with RANKL for bone homeostasis,” Nature, vol. 428, no. 6984, pp. 758–763, 2004.
- C. Dannemann, K. W. Grätz, M. O. Riener, and R. A. Zwahlen, “Jaw osteonecrosis related to bisphosphonate therapy. A severe secondary disorder,” Bone, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 828–834, 2007.
- R. P. H. Meier, T. V. Perneger, R. Stern, R. Rizzoli, and R. E. Peter, “Increasing occurrence of atypical femoral fractures associated with bisphosphonate use,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 172, no. 12, pp. 930–936, 2012.
- N. Morabito, A. Crisafulli, C. Vergara et al., “Effects of genistein and hormone-replacement therapy on bone loss in early postmenopausal women: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 17, pp. 1904–1912, 2002.
- C. M. Rassi, M. Lieberherr, G. Chaumaz, A. Pointillart, and G. Cournot, “Down-regulation of osteoclast differentiation by daidzein via caspase 3,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 630–638, 2002.
- Y. J. Li, T. H. Kim, H. B. Kwak, Z. H. Lee, S. Y. Lee, and G. J. Jhon, “Chloroform extract of deer antler inhibits osteoclast differentiation and bone resorption,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 191–198, 2007.
- Z. Q. Wang, C. Ovitt, A. E. Grigoriadis, U. Mohle-Steinlein, U. Ruther, and E. F. Wagner, “Bone and haematopoietic defects in mice lacking c-fos,” Nature, vol. 360, no. 6406, pp. 741–745, 1992.
- N. Ishida, K. Hayashi, M. Hoshijima et al., “Large scale gene expression analysis of osteoclastogenesis in vitro and elucidation of NFAT2 as a key regulator,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 43, pp. 41147–41156, 2002.
- H. Takayanagi, S. Kim, T. Koga et al., “Induction and activation of the transcription factor NFATc1 (NFAT2) integrate RANKL signaling in terminal differentiation of osteoclasts,” Developmental Cell, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 889–901, 2002.
- K. Matsuo, D. L. Galson, C. Zhao et al., “Nuclear factor of activated T-cells (NFAT) rescues osteoclastogenesis in precursors lacking c-Fos,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 25, pp. 26475–26480, 2004.
- M. Asagiri and H. Takayanagi, “The molecular understanding of osteoclast differentiation,” Bone, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 251–264, 2007.
- T. Kukita, N. Wada, A. Kukita et al., “RANKL-induced DC-STAMP is essential for osteoclastogenesis,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 200, no. 7, pp. 941–946, 2004.
- M. Yagi, T. Miyamoto, Y. Sawatani et al., “DC-STAMP is essential for cell-cell fusion in osteoclasts and foreign body giant cells,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 202, no. 3, pp. 345–351, 2005.
- K. Kim, S. H. Lee, J. Kim, Y. Choi, and N. Kim, “NFATc1 induces osteoclast fusion via up-regulation of Atp6v0d2 and the Dendritic Cell-Specific Transmembrane Protein (DC-STAMP),” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 176–185, 2008.
- D. Mao, H. Epple, B. Uthgenannt, D. V. Novack, and R. Faccio, “PLCγ2 regulates osteoclastogenesis via its interaction with ITAM proteins and GAB2,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 11, pp. 2869–2879, 2006.
- W. Balkan, A. F. Martinez, I. Fernandez, M. A. Rodriguez, M. Pang, and B. R. Troen, “Identification of NFAT binding sites that mediate stimulation of cathepsin K promoter activity by RANK ligand,” Gene, vol. 446, no. 2, pp. 90–98, 2009.
- J. Feng, X. Liu, Z. R. Xu, Y. P. Lu, and Y. Y. Liu, “Effect of fermented soybean meal on intestinal morphology and digestive enzyme activities in weaned piglets,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 1845–1850, 2007.