- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 789764, 18 pages
Preventive and Prophylactic Mechanisms of Action of Pomegranate Bioactive Constituents
1Nutritional Immunology and Molecular Medicine Laboratory, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24060, USA
2Center for Modeling Immunity to Enteric Pathogens, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24060, USA
3Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Received 29 November 2012; Accepted 20 March 2013
Academic Editor: Edwin L. Cooper
Copyright © 2013 Monica Viladomiu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [27 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Mendel Friedman, “Anticarcinogenic, Cardioprotective, and Other Health Benefits of Tomato Compounds Lycopene, α-Tomatine, and Tomatidine in Pure Form and in Fresh and Processed Tomatoes,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, pp. 130930092253008, 2013.
- Fatemeh Forouzanfar, Amir Afkhami Goli, Elham Asadpour, Ahmad Ghorbani, and Hamid Reza Sadeghnia, “Protective Effect of Punica granatum L. against Serum/Glucose Deprivation-Induced PC12 Cells Injury,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–9, 2013.
- Wai-Leng Lee, Jing-Ying Huang, and Lie-Fen Shyur, “Phytoagents for Cancer Management: Regulation of Nucleic Acid Oxidation, ROS, and Related Mechanisms,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2013, pp. 1–22, 2013.
- Samson Ayodeji Olofinsae, Bartholomew Okechukwu Ibeh, and Jatinder Ahluwalia, “Increased oxygen consumption observed in phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate stimulated human cultured promonocytic U937 cell lines treated with calcitriol and retinoic acid,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, vol. 7, pp. S272–S277, 2014.
- S. S. Anusree, A. Priyanka, V. M. Nisha, Arya A. Das, and K. G. Raghu, “An in vitro study reveals the nutraceutical potential of punicic acid relevant to diabetes via enhanced GLUT4 expression and adiponectin secretion,” Food Funct., vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 2590–2601, 2014.
- Maha A.E. Ahmed, Engy M. El Morsy, and Amany A.E. Ahmed, “Pomegranate Extract Protects Against Cerebral Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury and Preserves Brain DNA Integrity in Rats,” Life Sciences, 2014.
- Julie Rodriguez, Hélène Gilson, Cécile Jamart, Damien Naslain, Nicolas Pierre, Louise Deldicque, and Marc Francaux, “Pomegranate and green tea extracts protect against ER stress induced by a high-fat diet in skeletal muscle of mice,” European Journal of Nutrition, 2014.
- Pelin Onsekizoglu Bagci, “Effective clarification of pomegranate juice: A comparative study of pre-treatment methods and their influence on ultrafiltration flux,” Journal of Food Engineering, 2014.
- Daniela Gilardi, Gionata Fiorino, Marco Genua, Mariangela Allocca, and Silvio Danese, “Complementary and alternative medicine in inflammatory bowel diseases: what is the future in the field of herbal medicine?,” Expert Review of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, pp. 1–12, 2014.
- Chittaranjan Andrade, “Potentially Significant Versus Clinically Significant Drug Interactions: Pomegranate Juice as a Case in Point,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. E292–E293, 2014.
- Charanjit Kaur, R. K. Pal, Abhijit Kar, Chirag Gadi, Sangita Sen, Praveen Kumar, Ram Chandra, Sarika Jaiswal, and Islam Khan, “Characterization of Antioxidants and Hypoglycemic Potential of Pomegranate Grown in India: A Preliminary Investigation,” Journal of Food Biochemistry, 2014.
- Philipp Saiko, Marie-Thérèse Steinmann, Heike Schuster, Geraldine Graser, Sabine Bressler, Benedikt Giessrigl, Andreas Lackner, Michael Grusch, Georg Krupitza, Zsuzsanna Bago-Horvath, Walter Jaeger, Monika Fritzer-Szekeres, and Thomas Szekeres, “Epigallocatechin gallate, ellagic acid, and rosmarinic acid perturb dNTP pools and inhibit de novo DNA synthesis and proliferation of human HL-60 promyelocytic leukemia cells: Synergism with arabinofuranosylcytosine,” Phytomedicine, 2014.
- Chittaranjan Andrade, “Fruit Juice, Organic Anion Transporting Polypeptides, and Drug Interactions in Psychiatry,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. E1323–E1325, 2014.
- Sreeja Sreekumar, Hima Sithul, Parvathy Muraleedharan, Juberiya Mohammed Azeez, and Sreeja Sreeharshan, “Pomegranate Fruit as a Rich Source of Biologically Active Compounds,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–12, 2014.
- Mohamed A. El-Missiry, Maher A. Amer, Faried A.E. Hemieda, Azza I. Othman, Doaa A. Sakr, and Haitham L. Abdulhadi, “Cardioameliorative effect of punicalagin against streptozotocin-induced apoptosis, redox imbalance, metabolic changes and inflammation,” Egyptian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 2015.
- S.S. Anusree, V.M. Nisha, A. Priyanka, and K.G. Raghu, “Insulin resistance by TNF-α is associated with mitochondrial dysfunction in 3T3-L1 adipocytes and is ameliorated by punicic acid, a PPARγ agonist,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 2015.
- Juana I. Mosele, Alba Macià, Mari-Paz Romero, María-José Motilva, and Laura Rubió, “Application of in vitro gastrointestinal digestion and colonic fermentation models to pomegranate products (juice, pulp and peel extract) to study the stability and catabolism of phenolic compounds,” Journal of Functional Foods, vol. 14, pp. 529–540, 2015.
- Charalampos K. Myresiotis, Stefanos Testempasis, Zisis Vryzas, George S. Karaoglanidis, and Euphemia Papadopoulou-Mourkidou, “Determination of mycotoxins in pomegranate fruits and juices using a QuEChERS-based method,” Food Chemistry, 2015.
- Maria Shabbir, Deeba N. Syed, Rahul K. Lall, Muhammad Rashid Khan, and Hasan Mukhtar, “Potent Anti-Proliferative, Pro-Apoptotic Activity of the Maytenus Royleanus Extract against Prostate Cancer Cells: Evidence in In-Vitro and In-Vivo Mo,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 3, 2015.
- Amirhossein Sahebkar, Camelia Gurban, Alexandru Serban, Florina Andrica, and Maria-Corina Serban, “Effects of supplementation with Pomegranate juice on plasma C - reactive protein concentrations: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Phytomedicine, 2015.
- Anupam Bishayee, Animesh Mandal, Piyali Bhattacharyya, and Deepak Bhatia, “Pomegranate exerts chemoprevention of experimentally induced mammary tumorigenesis by suppression of cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis,” Nutrition and Cancer, pp. 1–11, 2015.
- Małgorzata Gumienna, Artur Szwengiel, and Barbara Górna, “Bioactive components of pomegranate fruit and their transformation by fermentation processes,” European Food Research and Technology, 2015.
- Francisco Les, Jose M. Prieto, Jose Miguel Arbonés-Mainar, Marta Sofía Valero, and Víctor López, “Bioactive properties of commercialised pomegranate (Punica granatum) juice: antioxidant, antiproliferative and enzyme inhibiting activities,” Food Funct., vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2049–2057, 2015.
- Christian Vlachojannis, Benno F. Zimmermann, and Sigrun Chrubasik-Hausmann, “Efficacy and Safety of Pomegranate Medicinal Products for Cancer,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2015, pp. 1–15, 2015.
- Amany I. Yousef, Omar S. El-Masry, and Eman H. Yassin, “The anti-oncogenic influence of ellagic acid on colon cancer cells in leptin-enriched microenvironment,” Tumor Biology, 2016.
- Gamal Allam, Abdelaziz S.A. Abuelsaad, Mohammed A. Alblihed, and Adnan A. Alsulaimani, “Ellagic acid reduces murine schistosomiasis mansoni immunopathology via up-regulation of IL-10 and down-modulation of pro-inflammatory cytokines production,” Immunopharmacology and Immunotoxicology, pp. 1–12, 2016.
- Mirhan N. Makled, Mohammed S. El-Awady, Rania R. Abdelaziz, Nadia Atwan, Emma T. Guns, Nareman M. Gamil, Ahmed B.Shehab El-Din, and Elsayed M. Ammar, “Pomegranate protects liver against cecal ligation and puncture‐induced oxidative stress and inflammation in rats through TLR4/NF‐κB pathway inhibition,” Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, 2016.