- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 823121, 11 pages
Metabolomic Strategy for Studying the Intervention and the Synergistic Effects of the Shexiang Baoxin Pill for Treating Myocardial Infarction in Rats
1School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, No. 325 Guohe Road, Shanghai 200433, China
2School of Pharmacy, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200030, China
3Department of Pharmacognosy, King Saud University, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Received 7 October 2012; Revised 3 January 2013; Accepted 17 January 2013
Academic Editor: Wei Jia
Copyright © 2013 Li Xiang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Salameh, D. Perla, M. Solomon et al., “The effectiveness of combined Chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture in the treatment of atopic dermatitis,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 1043–1048, 2008.
- I. Cohen, M. Tagliaferri, and D. Tripathy, “Traditional Chinese medicine in the treatment of breast cancer,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 563–574, 2002.
- X. M. Li and L. Brown, “Efficacy and mechanisms of action of traditional Chinese medicines for treating asthma and allergy,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 297–306, 2009.
- Y. J. Kang, “Herbogenomics: from traditional Chinese medicine to novel therapeutics,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 233, no. 9, pp. 1059–1065, 2008.
- M. P. Sheehan, M. H. A. Rustin, D. J. Atherton et al., “Efficacy of traditional Chinese herbal therapy in adult atopic dermatitis,” The Lancet, vol. 340, no. 8810, pp. 13–17, 1992.
- V. E. Tyler, “Herbal medicine: from the past to the future,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 3, no. 4A, pp. 447–452, 2000.
- K.-H. Lee, “Research and future trends in the pharmaceutical development of medicinal herbs from Chinese medicine,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 3, pp. 515–522, 2000.
- Editorial Committee of Pharmacopoeia of Ministry of Health P. R. China, Part 1, China Chemical Industry Press, Beijing, China, 2010.
- D. J. Wu, H. S. Hong, and Q. Jiang, “Effect of shexiang baoxin pill in alleviating myocardial fibrosis in spontaneous hypertensive rats,” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 350–353, 2005.
- H. T. Song, T. Guo, and H. M. Zhao, “Pharmacodynamic studies on Heart-protecting Musk Pills with myocardial blood flow perfusion in rats,” Pharmaceutical Journal of Chinese People’s Liberation Army, vol. 18, pp. 137–139, 2002.
- Y. Yang, Y. D. Ye, and L. M. Mao, “Shexiangbaoxinwan to AMI thrombolysis future ventricle configuration and function influence,” Chinese Journal of the Practical Chinese with Modem Medicine, vol. 18, p. 1583, 2005.
- R. Y. Ye, “Effect of heart-protecting Musk Pill on cardiac function of ischemic heart disease,” Zhejiang Journal of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, vol. 16, pp. 734–735, 2006.
- P. Jiang, W. Dai, S. Yan et al., “Potential biomarkers in the urine of myocardial infarction rats: a metabolomic method and its application,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 824–831, 2011.
- L. Xiang, P. Jiang, C. Zhan, et al., “The serum metabolomic study of intervention effects of the traditional Chinese medicine Shexiang Baoxin Pill and a multi-component medicine polypill in the treatment of myocardial infarction in rats,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 8, pp. 2434–2442, 2012.
- S. K. Yan, W. D. Zhang, R. H. Liu, and Y. C. Zhan, “Chemical fingerprinting of Shexiang Baoxin Pill and simultaneous determination of its major constituents by HPLC with evaporative light scattering detection and electrospray mass spectrometric detection,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1058–1062, 2006.
- S. Yan, Y. Yang, Y. Wu, R. Liu, and W. Zhang, “Chemical fingerprinting and quantitative analysis of volatiles in Shexiang Baoxin Pill by gas chromatography with flame ionization and mass spectrometric detection,” Journal of Analytical Chemistry, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 2009.
- P. Jiang, R. Liu, S. Dou et al., “Analysis of the constituents in rat plasma after oral administration of Shexiang Baoxin pill by HPLC-ESI-MS/MS,” Biomedical Chromatography, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1333–1343, 2009.
- J. K. Nicholson and J. C. Lindon, “Systems biology: metabonomics,” Nature, vol. 455, no. 7216, pp. 1054–1056, 2008.
- R. Verpoorte, Y. H. Choi, and H. K. Kim, “Ethnopharmacology and systems biology: a perfect holistic match,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 100, no. 1-2, pp. 53–56, 2005.
- X. Liang, X. Chen, Q. Liang et al., “Metabonomic study of Chinese Medicine Shuanglong Formula as an effective treatment for myocardial infarction in rats,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 790–799, 2011.
- G. Tan, Z. Lou, W. Liao, et al., “Hydrophilic interaction and reversed-phased ultraperformance liquid chromatography TOF-MS for serum metabonomic analysis of myocardial infarction in rats and its application,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 8, pp. 548–556, 2012.
- Y. Lu, X. Liu, X. Liang, L. Xiang, and W. Zhang, “Metabolomic strategy to study therapeutic and synergistic effects of tanshinone IIA, salvianolic acid B and ginsenoside Rb1 in myocardial ischemia rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 2011.
- Y. Lv, X. Liu, S. Yan et al., “Metabolomic study of myocardial ischemia and intervention effects of Compound Danshen Tablets in rats using ultra-performance liquid chromatography/quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 129–135, 2010.
- J. Wang, X. Liu, B. Ren, H. Rupp, N. Takeda, and N. S. Dhalla, “Modification of myosin gene expression by imidapril in failing heart due to myocardial infarction,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 847–857, 2002.
- K. Ytrehus, “Models of myocardial ischemia,” Drug Discovery Today: Disease Models, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 263–271, 2006.
- H. Y. Zhang, X. Chen, P. Hu et al., “Metabolomic profiling of rat serum associated with isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction using ultra-performance liquid chromatography/time-of-flight mass spectrometry and multivariate analysis,” Talanta, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 254–259, 2009.
- B. C. Wexler, J. T. Judd, and G. W. Kittinger, “Myocardial necrosis induced by isoproterenol in rats,” Angiology, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 665–682, 1968.
- C. J. Boushey, S. A. A. Beresford, G. S. Omenn, and A. G. Motulsky, “A quantitative assessment of plasma homocysteine as a risk factor for vascular disease: probable benefits of increasing folic acid intakes,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 274, no. 13, pp. 1049–1057, 1995.
- W. Eqerton, J. Silberberg, R. Cheryl Ray, et al., “Serial measures of plasma homocyst(e)ine after acute myocardial infarction,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 77, pp. 759–761, 1996.
- A. Lindgren, L. Brattström, B. Norrving, et al., “Plasma homocysteine in the acute and convalescent phases after stroke,” , Stroke, vol. 26, pp. 795–800, 1995.
- J. E. Graeber, J. H. Slott, and R. E. Ulane, “Effect of homocysteine and homocystine on platelet and vascular arachidonic acid metabolism,” Pediatric Research, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 490–493, 1982.
- V. N. Bochkov, A. Kadl, J. Huber, F. Gruber, B. R. Binder, and N. Leitinger, “Protective role of phospholipid oxidation products in endotoxin-induced tissue damage,” Nature, vol. 419, no. 6902, pp. 77–81, 2002.
- G. O. Fruhwirth, A. Moumtzi, A. Loidl, E. Ingolic, and A. Hermetter, “The oxidized phospholipids POVPC and PGPC inhibit growth and induce apoptosis in vascular smooth muscle cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta—Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, vol. 1761, no. 9, pp. 1060–1069, 2006.
- J. Hartwich, A. Dembinska-Kiec, A. Gruca et al., “Regulation of platelet adhesion by oxidized lipoproteins and oxidized phospholipids,” Platelets, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 141–151, 2002.
- A. P. Sampson, “Leukotrienes in cardiovascular disease,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy Reviews, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 170–174, 2001.
- M. P. Gonthier, V. Cheynier, J. L. Donovan et al., “Microbial aromatic acid metabolites formed in the gut account for a major fraction of the polyphenols excreted in urine of rats fed red wine polyphenols,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 461–467, 2003.
- R. J. Johnson, D. H. Kang, D. Feig et al., “Is there a pathogenetic role for uric acid in hypertension and cardiovascular and renal disease?” Hypertension, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1183–1190, 2003.
- O. D. Saugstad, “Hypoxanthine as a measurement of hypoxia,” Pediatric Research, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 158–161, 1975.
- O. D. Saugstad, “Hypoxanthine in umbilical cord plasma as a measurement of intrauterine hypoxia,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 54, p. 26, 1975.
- B. D. Guth, J. A. Wisneski, R. A. Neese et al., “Myocardial lactate release during ischemia in swine. Relation to regional blood flow,” Circulation, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 1948–1958, 1990.
- I. M. Cheifetz, F. H. Kern, S. R. Schulman, W. J. Greeley, R. M. Ungerleider, and J. N. Meliones, “Serum lactates correlate with mortality after operations for complex congenital heart disease,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 735–738, 1997.
- R. A. Kreisberg, “Lactate homeostasis and lactic acidosis,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 227–237, 1980.