- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 827248, 10 pages
Skin Ageing: Natural Weapons and Strategies
1Clinic of Dermatovenereology, Clinical Centre of Nis, Bovlevard Dr Zorana Djindjica 48, 18000 Nis, Serbia
2Faculty of Medical Science, University of Kragujevac, Svetozara Markovica 69, 34000 Kragujevac, Serbia
3Faculty of Medicine, University of Nis, Bovlevard Dr Zorana Djindjica 81, 18000 Nis, Serbia
Received 8 June 2012; Accepted 28 December 2012
Academic Editor: Yukihiro Shoyama
Copyright © 2013 Ivana Binic et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Serri and M. Iorizzo, “Combating aging skin,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 26, no. 2, p. 105, 2008.
- A. M. Shiffman, J. S. Mirrafati, M. S. Lam, and G. C. Cueteaux, Simplified Facial Rejuvenation, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2008.
- K. J. Hunt, S. K. Hung, and E. Ernst, “Botanical extracts as anti-aging preparations for the skin: a systematic review,” Drugs and Aging, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 973–985, 2010.
- J. Reuter, I. Merfort, and C. M. Schempp, “Botanicals in dermatology: an evidence-based review,” American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 247–267, 2010.
- B. T. Ngi, F. Liu, and T. Z. Wang, “Antioxidative activity of natural products from plants,” Life Sciences, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 709–723, 2000.
- J. Krutman and B. Gilchrest, Skin Aging, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- K. M. Südel, K. Venzke, H. Mielke et al., “Novel aspects of intrinsic and extrinsic aging of human skin: beneficial effects of soy extract,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 581–587, 2005.
- P. Quatresooz and G. E. Piérard, “Immunohistochemical clues at aging of the skin microvascular unit,” Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 39–43, 2009.
- L. M. Zanchetta, D. Kirk, F. Lyng, J. Walsh, and J. E. J. Murphy, “Cell-density-dependent changes in mitochondrial membrane potential and reactive oxygen species production in human skin cells post sunlight exposure,” Photodermatology Photoimmunology and Photomedicine, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 311–317, 2010.
- M. C. Velarde, J. M. Flynn, N. U. Day, S. Melov, and J. Campisi, “Mitochondrial oxidative stress caused by Sod2 deficiency promotes cellular senescence and aging phenotypes in the skin,” Aging, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 3–12, 2012.
- T. Herrling, J. Fuchs, J. Rehberg, and N. Groth, “UV-induced free radicals in the skin detected by ESR spectroscopy and imaging using nitroxides,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 59–67, 2003.
- F. Rijken, R. C. M. Kiekens, and P. L. B. Bruijnzeel, “Skin-infiltrating neutrophils following exposure to solar-simulated radiation could play an important role in photoageing of human skin,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 321–328, 2005.
- P. Brenneisen, H. Sies, and K. Scharffetter-Kochanek, “Ultraviolet-B irradiation and matrix metalloproteinases: from induction via signaling to initial events,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 973, pp. 31–43, 2002.
- T. M. Callaghan and K. P. Wilhelm, “A review of ageing and an examination of clinical methods in the assessment of ageing skin. Part I: cellular and molecular perspectives of skin ageing,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 313–322, 2008.
- A. R. Silva, P. F. C. Menezes, T. Martinello, G. F. L. Novakovich, C. E. De Oliveira Praes, and I. H. S. Feferman, “Antioxidant kinetics of plant-derived substances and extracts,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 73–80, 2010.
- J. Yang, J. Guo, and J. Yuan, “In vitro antioxidant properties of rutin,” LWT-Food Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1060–1066, 2008.
- J. Levin, J. Q. del Rosso, and S. B. Momin, “How much do we really know about our favorite cosmeceutical ingredients?” Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 22–41, 2010.
- L. S. Baumann, “Less-known botanical cosmeceuticals,” Dermatologic Therapy, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 330–342, 2007.
- P. Farris, “Idebenone, green tea, and Coffeeberry extract: new and innovative antioxidants,” Dermatologic Therapy, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 322–329, 2007.
- H. Cronin and Z. D. Draelos, “Top 10 botanical ingredients in 2010 anti-aging creams,” Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 218–225, 2010.
- M. Ndiaye, C. Philippe, H. Mukhtar, and N. Ahmad, “The grape antioxidant resveratrol for skin disorders: promise, prospects, and challenges,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 508, no. 2, pp. 164–170, 2011.
- M. P. Mattson, “Hormesis defined,” Ageing Research Reviews, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2008.
- C. F. Lima, C. Pereira-Wilson, and S. I. S. Rattan, “Curcumin induces heme oxygenase-1 in normal human skin fibroblasts through redox signaling: relevance for anti-aging intervention,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 430–442, 2011.
- N. P. Visavadiya, B. Soni, and N. Dalwadi, “Evaluation of antioxidant and anti-atherogenic properties of Glycyrrhiza glabra root using in vitro models,” International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, vol. 60, supplement 2, pp. 135–149, 2009.
- S. Rahman and S. Sultana, “Glycyrrhizin exhibits potential chemopreventive activity on 12-O-tetradecanoyl phorbol-13-acetate-induced cutaneous oxidative stress and tumor promotion in Swiss albino mice,” Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 363–369, 2007.
- S. H. Lee, S. Y. Choi, H. Kim et al., “Mulberroside F isolated from the leaves of Morus alba inhibits melanin biosynthesis,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1045–1048, 2002.
- T. Katsube, N. Imawaka, Y. Kawano, Y. Yamazaki, K. Shiwaku, and Y. Yamane, “Antioxidant flavonol glycosides in mulberry (Morus alba L.) leaves isolated based on LDL antioxidant activity,” Food Chemistry, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 2006.
- B. Bozin, N. Mimica-Dukic, N. Simin, and G. Anackov, “Characterization of the volatile composition of essential oils of some lamiaceae spices and the antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of the entire oils,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 1822–1828, 2006.
- S. Asbaghian, A. Shafaghat, K. Zarea, F. Kasimov, and F. Salimi, “Comparison of volatile constituents, and antioxidant and antibacterial activities of the essential oils of Thymus caucasicus, T. kotschyanus and T. vulgaris,” Natural Product Communications, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 137–140, 2011.
- H. Amiri, “Essential oils composition and antioxidant properties of three thymus species,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 728065, 8 pages, 2012.
- S. Dudonné, P. Poupard, P. Coutiére et al., “Phenolic composition and antioxidant properties of poplar bud (Populus nigra) extract: individual antioxidant contribution of phenolics and transcriptional effect on skin aging,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 4527–4536, 2011.
- J. Y. Kim, S. S. Kim, T. H. Oh et al., “Chemical composition, antioxidant, anti-elastase, and anti-inflammatory activities of Illicium anisatum essential oil,” Acta Pharmaceutica, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 289–300, 2009.
- M. S. Matsui, A. Hsia, J. D. Miller et al., “Non-sunscreen photoprotection: antioxidants add value to a sunscreen,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium Proceedings, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 56–59, 2009.
- N. Philips, J. Conte, Y. J. Chen et al., “Beneficial regulation of matrixmetalloproteinases and their inhibitors, fibrillar collagens and transforming growth factor-β by Polypodium leucotomos, directly or in dermal fibroblasts, ultraviolet radiated fibroblasts, and melanoma cells,” Archives of Dermatological Research, vol. 301, no. 7, pp. 487–495, 2009.
- S. K. Katiyar, N. Ahmad, and H. Mukhtar, “Green tea and skin,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 136, no. 8, pp. 989–994, 2000.
- S. K. Katiyar, “Silymarin and skin cancer prevention: anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and immunomodulatory effects (Review),” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 169–176, 2005.
- M. A. Zaid, F. Afaq, D. N. Syed, M. Dreher, and H. Mukhtar, “Inhibition of UVB-mediated oxidative stress and markers of photoaging in immortalized HaCaT keratinocytes by pomegranate polyphenol extract POMx,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 882–888, 2007.
- H. M. Park, E. Moon, A. J. Kim et al., “Extract of Punica granatum inhibits skin photoaging induced by UVB irradiation,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 276–282, 2010.
- K. C. Wen, P. C. Fan, S. Y. Tsai, I. C. Shih, and H. M. Chiang, “Ixora parviflora protects against UVB-induced photoaging by inhibiting the expression of mmps, map kinases, and cox-2 and by promoting type I procollagen synthesis,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 417346, 11 pages, 2012.
- T. M. Chiu, C. C. Huang, T. J. Lin, J. Y. Fang, N. L. Wu, and C. F. Hung, “In vitro and in vivo anti-photoaging effects of an isoflavone extract from soybean cake,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 108–113, 2009.
- M. Nakahara, T. Mishima, and T. Hayakawa, “Effect of a sake concentrate on the epidermis of aged mice and confirmation of ethyl α-D-glucoside as its active component,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 427–434, 2007.
- M. Y. Seo, S. Y. Chung, W. K. Choi et al., “Anti-aging effect of rice wine in cultured human fibroblasts and keratinocytes,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 266–271, 2009.
- H. K. Choi, D. H. Kim, J. W. Kim, S. Ngadiran, M. R. Sarmidi, and C. S. Park, “Labisia pumila extract protects skin cells from photoaging caused by UVB irradiation,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 291–296, 2010.
- L. S. Chua, S. Y. Lee, N. Abdullah, and M. R. Sarmidi, “Review on Labisia pumila (Kacip Fatimah): bioactive phytochemicals and skin collagen synthesis promoting herb,” Fitoterapia, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 1322–1335, 2012.
- H. M. Chiang, T. J. Lin, C. Y. Chiu et al., “Coffea arabica extract and its constituents prevent photoaging by suppressing MMPs expression and MAP kinase pathway,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 309–318, 2011.
- M. D. Adil, P. Kaiser, N. K. Satti, A. M. Zargar, R. A. Vishwakarma, and S. A. Tasduq, “Effect of Emblica officinalis (fruit) against UVB-induced photo-aging in human skin fibroblasts,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 109–114, 2010.
- P. U. Giacomoni and G. Rein, “Factors of skin ageing share common mechanisms,” Biogerontology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 219–229, 2001.
- A. Knott, K. Reuschlein, H. Mielke et al., “Natural Arctium lappa fruit extract improves the clinical signs of aging skin,” Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 281–289, 2008.
- A. T. Ermertcan, S. Inan, S. Ozturkcan, C. Bilac, and S. Cilaker, “Comparison of the effects of collagenase and extract of Centella asiatica in an experimental model of wound healing: an immunohistochemical and histopathological study,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 674–681, 2008.
- K. K. Lee, J. J. Cho, E. J. Park, and J. D. Choi, “Anti-elastase and anti-hyaluronidase of phenolic substance from Areca catechu as a new anti-ageing agent,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 341–346, 2001.
- H. I. Oh, J. S. Shim, S. H. Gwon, H. J. Kwon, and J. K. Hwang, “The effect of xanthorrhizol on the expression of matrix metalloproteinase-1 and type-I procollagen in ultraviolet-irradiated human skin fibroblasts,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 1299–1302, 2009.
- H. I. Moon, J. Lee, and J. H. Chung, “The effect of erythrodiol-3-acetate on the expressions of matrix metalloproteinase-1 and type-1 procollagen caused by ultraviolet irradiated cultured primary old aged human skin fibroblasts,” Phytomedicine, vol. 13, no. 9-10, pp. 707–711, 2006.
- J. N. Losso, C. N. Munene, R. R. Bansode, and H. A. Bawadi, “Inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase-1 activity by the soybean Bowman-Birk inhibitor,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 901–905, 2004.
- B. Burlando, L. Verotta, L. Cornara, and E. Bottini-Massa, Herbal Principles in Cosmetics, Properties and Mechanisms of Action, CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
- Y. Tada, N. Kanda, A. Haratake, M. Tobiishi, H. Uchiwa, and S. Watanabe, “Novel effects of diosgenin on skin aging,” Steroids, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 504–511, 2009.
- M. F. Hsu and B. H. Chiang, “Stimulating effects of Bacillus subtilis natto-fermented Radix astragali on hyaluronic acid production in human skin cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 474–481, 2009.
- E. Jung, J. Lee, J. Baek et al., “Effect of Camellia japonica oil on human type I procollagen production and skin barrier function,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 127–131, 2007.
- J. Lee, E. Jung, J. Lee et al., “Panax ginseng induces human Type I collagen synthesis through activation of Smad signaling,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2007.
- N. Takasao, K. Tsuji-Naito, S. Ishikura, A. Tamura, and M. Akagawa, “Cinnamon extract promotes type I collagen biosynthesis via activation of IGF-I signaling in human dermal fibroblasts,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 1193–1200, 2012.
- T. Fujii, M. Wakaizumi, T. Ikami, and M. Saito, “Amla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.) extract promotes procollagen production and inhibits matrix metalloproteinase-1 in human skin fibroblasts,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 2008.
- W. Zhu and J. Gao, “The use of botanical extracts as topical skin-lightening agents for the improvement of skin pigmentation disorders,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium Proceedings, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 2008.
- C. H. Lin, H. Y. Ding, S. Y. Kuo, L. W. Chin, J. Y. Wu, and T. S. Chang, “Evaluation of in vitro and in vivo depigmenting activity of raspberry ketone from rheum officinale,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 4819–4835, 2011.
- Y. H. Lu, J. Chen, D. Z. Wei, Z. T. Wang, and X. Y. Tao, “Tyrosinase inhibitory effect and inhibitory mechanism of tiliroside from raspberry,” Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1154–1160, 2009.
- A. Lamien-Meda, B. Lukas, C. Schmiderer, C. Franz, and J. Novak, “Validation of a quantitative assay of arbutin using gas chromatography in Origanum majorana and Arctostaphylos uva-ursi extracts,” Phytochemical Analysis, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 416–420, 2009.
- R. E. Boissy, M. Visscher, and M. A. deLong, “DeoxyArbutin: a novel reversible tyrosinase inhibitor with effective in vivo skin lightening potency,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 601–608, 2005.
- C. H. Liang, T. H. Chou, and H. Y. Ding, “Inhibition of melanogensis by a novel origanoside from Origanum vulgare,” Journal of Dermatological Science, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 170–177, 2010.
- K. T. Park, J. K. Kim, D. Hwang, Y. Yoo, and Y. H. Lim, “Inhibitory effect of mulberroside A and its derivatives on melanogenesis induced by ultraviolet B irradiation,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 3038–3045, 2011.
- S. J. Im, K. N. Kim, Y. G. Yun et al., “Effect of radix ginseng and radix trichosanthis on the melanogenesis,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 849–853, 2003.
- J. Lee, K. Jung, Y. S. Kim, and D. Park, “Diosgenin inhibits melanogenesis through the activation of phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase pathway (PI3K) signaling,” Life Sciences, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 249–254, 2007.
- E. T. Arung, H. Kuspradini, I. W. Kusuma, K. Shimizu, and R. Kondo, “Validation of Eupatorium triplinerve vahl leaves, a skin care herb from East Kalimantan, using a melanin biosynthesis assay,” Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 87–92, 2012.
- Z. P. Zheng, J. Ma, K. W. Cheng et al., “Sulfur-containing constituents and one 1H-pyrrole-2-carboxylic acid derivative from pineapple [Ananas comosus (L.) Merr.] fruit,” Phytochemistry, vol. 71, no. 17-18, pp. 2046–2051, 2010.
- J. H. Koo, I. Lee, S. K. Yun, H. U. Kim, B. H. Park, and J. W. Park, “Saponified evening primrose oil reduces melanogenesis in B16 melanoma cells and reduces UV-induced skin pigmentation in humans,” Lipids, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 401–407, 2010.
- B. J. An, J. H. Kwak, J. M. Park et al., “Inhibition of enzyme activities and the antiwrinkle effect of polyphenol isolated from the persimmon leaf (Diospyros kaki folium) on human skin,” Dermatologic Surgery, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 848–854, 2005.
- T. Fujii, K. Ikeda, and M. Saito, “Inhibitory effect of rose hip (Rosa canina L.) on melanogenesis in mouse melanoma cells and on pigmentation in brown guinea pigs,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 489–495, 2011.
- H. C. Huang, S. H. Chiu, and T. M. Chang, “Inhibitory effect of -Gingerol on Melanogenesis in B16F10 Melanoma cells and a possible mechanism of action,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 1067–1072, 2011.
- M. S. Ahshawat, S. Saraf, and S. Saraf, “Preparation and characterization of herbal creams for improvement of skin viscoelastic properties,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 183–193, 2008.
- P. Zanoli and M. Zavatti, “Pharmacognostic and pharmacological profile of Humulus lupulus L.,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 383–396, 2008.
- B. Sohm, V. Cenizo, V. André, H. Zahouani, C. Pailler-Mattei, and B. Vogelgesang, “Evaluation of the efficacy of a dill extract in vitro and in vivo,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 157–163, 2011.
- C. Artaria, G. Maramaldi, A. Bonfigli, L. Rigano, and G. Appendino, “Lifting properties of the alkamide fraction from the fruit husks of Zanthoxylum bungeanum,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 328–333, 2011.
- E. Ernst, “'First, do no harm' with complementary and alternative medicine,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 48–50, 2007.
- J. Gomes, T. Pereira, C. Vilarinho, M. D. L. Duarte, and C. Brito, “Contact dermatitis due to Centella asiatica,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 54–55, 2010.