- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 851267, 11 pages
Antihyperglycemic Effects of Short Term Resveratrol Supplementation in Type 2 Diabetic Patients
1Department of Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases, The Persian Gulf Tropical Medicine Research Center, Bushehr, University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr 7514763448, Iran
2Heart Failure Research Laboratory, Canadian Centre for Agri-Food Research in Health and Medicine, St. Boniface Research Centre, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R2H 2A6
3Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2M9
4Department of Physiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3E 0J9
Received 13 June 2013; Accepted 25 July 2013
Academic Editor: MinKyun Na
Copyright © 2013 Ali Movahed et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. H. Herman and P. Zimmet, “Type 2 diabetes: an epidemic requiring global attention and urgent action,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, pp. 943–944, 2012.
- D. W. Lam and D. LeRoith, “The worldwide diabetes epidemic,” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 93–96, 2012.
- J. M. Forbes and M. E. Cooper, “Mechanisms of diabetic complications,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 93, pp. 137–188, 2013.
- M. Stolar, “Glycemic control and complications in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 123, pp. S3–S11, 2010.
- X. L. Louis, S. J. Thandapilly, S. K. MohanKumar et al., “Treatment with low-dose resveratrol reverses cardiac impairment in obese prone but not in obese resistant rats,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 23, pp. 1163–1169, 2012.
- Y. Lin and Z. Sun, “Current views on type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 204, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2010.
- S. J. Thandapilly, X. L. Louis, T. Yang et al., “Resveratrol prevents norepinephrine induced hypertrophy in adult rat cardiomyocytes, by activating NO-AMPK pathway,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 668, no. 1-2, pp. 217–224, 2011.
- International Diabetes Federation, IDF Diabetes Atlas Update, International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium, 2012.
- A. Hussain, S. Vaaler, M. A. Sayeed, H. Mahtab, S. M. K. Ali, and A. K. A. Khan, “Type 2 diabetes and impaired fasting blood glucose in rural Bangladesh: a population-based study,” European Journal of Public Health, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 291–296, 2007.
- J. S. Freeman, “The increasing epidemiology of diabetes and review of current treatment algorithms,” Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, vol. 110, no. 7, pp. eS2–eS6, 2010.
- F. Azizi, M. M. Gouya, P. Vazirian, P. Dolatshahi, and S. Habibian, “Screening for type 2 diabetes in the Iranian national programme: a preliminary report,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 9, no. 5-6, pp. 1122–1127, 2003.
- A. A. Haghdoost, M. Rezazadeh-Kermani, B. Sadghirad, and H. R. Baradaran, “Prevalence of type 2 diabetes in the Islamic Republic of Iran: systematic review and meta-analysis,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 591–599, 2009.
- W. Yu, Y. Fu, and W. Wang, “Cellular and molecular effects of resveratrol in health and disease,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 752–759, 2012.
- B. Juhasz, B. Varga, R. Gesztelyi, A. Kemeny-Beke, J. Zsuga, and A. Tosaki, “Resveratrol: a multifunctional cytoprotective molecule,” Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 810–818, 2010.
- D. Juric, P. Wojciechowski, D. K. Das, and T. Netticadan, “Prevention of concentric hypertrophy and diastolic impairment in aortic-banded rats treated with resveratrol,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 292, no. 5, pp. H2138–H2143, 2007.
- S. J. Thandapilly, P. Wojciechowski, J. Behbahani et al., “Resveratrol prevents the development of pathological cardiac hypertrophy and contractile dysfunction in the SHR without lowering blood pressure,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 192–196, 2010.
- S. Sharma, C. S. Misra, S. Arumugam et al., “Antidiabetic activity of resveratrol, a known SIRT1 activator in a genetic model for type-2 diabetes,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 67–73, 2011.
- G. Ramadori, L. Gautron, T. Fujikawa, C. R. Vianna, J. K. Elmquist, and R. Coppari, “Central administration of resveratrol improves diet-induced diabetes,” Endocrinology, vol. 150, no. 12, pp. 5326–5333, 2009.
- T. Szkudelski and K. Szkudelska, “Anti-diabetic effects of resveratrol,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1215, no. 1, pp. 34–39, 2011.
- G. M. Do, U. J. Jung, H. J. Park et al., “Resveratrol ameliorates diabetes-related metabolic changes via activation of AMP-activated protein kinase and its downstream targets in db/db mice,” Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, vol. 56, pp. 1282–1291, 2012.
- J. K. Bhatt, S. Thomas, and M. J. Nanjan, “Resveratrol supplementation improves glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Nutrition Research, vol. 32, pp. 537–541, 2012.
- P. Brasnyó, G. A. Molnár, M. Mohás, et al., “Resveratrol improves insulin sensitivity, reduces oxidative stress and activates the Akt pathway in type 2 diabetic patients,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 383–389, 2011.
- J. P. Crandall, V. Oram, G. Trandafirescu et al., “Pilot study of resveratrol in older adults with impaired glucose tolerance,” The Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 67, pp. 1307–1312, 2012.
- S. Timmers, E. Konings, L. Bilet et al., “Calorie restriction-like effects of 30 days of resveratrol supplementation on energy metabolism and metabolic profile in obese humans,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 612–622, 2011.
- M. M. Poulsen, P. F. Vestergaard, B. F. Clasen et al., “High-dose resveratrol supplementation in obese men: an investigator-initiated, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial of substrate metabolism, insulin sensitivity, and body composition,” Diabetes, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 1186–1195, 2013.
- A. Bruckbauer and M. B. Zemel, “Synergistic effects of metformin, resveratrol, and hydroxymethylbutyrate on insulin sensitivity,” Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity, vol. 6, pp. 93–102, 2013.
- C. A. Burtis and E. R. Ashwood, “Carbohydrates,” in Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry, pp. 750–808, W.B Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1999.
- W. T. Friedewald, R. I. Levy, and D. S. Fredrickson, “Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 499–502, 1972.
- J. Jeppsson, U. Kobold, J. Barr et al., “Approved IFCC reference method for the measurement of HbA1c in human blood,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 78–89, 2002.
- R. Sapin, V. Le Galudec, F. Gasser, M. Pinget, and D. Grucker, “Elecsys insulin assay: free insulin determination and the absence of cross-reactivity with insulin lispro,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 602–605, 2001.
- D. R. Matthews, J. P. Hosker, and A. S. Rudenski, “Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man,” Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 412–419, 1985.
- O. Vang, N. Ahmad, C. A. Baile et al., “What is new for an old molecule? Systematic review and recommendations on the use of resveratrol,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 6, Article ID e19881, 2011.
- J. M. Smoliga, J. A. Baur, and H. A. Hausenblas, “Resveratrol and health—a comprehensive review of human clinical trials,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 1129–1141, 2011.
- S. Genovesi, P. Brambilla, M. Giussani et al., “Insulin resistance, prehypertension, hypertension and blood pressure values in paediatric age,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 327–335, 2012.
- V. A. Brown, K. R. Patel, M. Viskaduraki et al., “Repeat dose study of the cancer chemopreventive agent resveratrol in healthy volunteers: safety, pharmacokinetics, and effect on the insulin-like growth factor axis,” Cancer Research, vol. 70, no. 22, pp. 9003–9011, 2010.
- Z. Ghazanfari, A. A. Haghdoost, S. M. Alizadeh, J. Atapour, and F. Zolala, “A comparison of HbA1c and fasting blood sugar tests in general population,” International Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 187–194, 2010.
- J. A. Hirst, A. J. Farmer, R. Ali, N. W. Roberts, and R. J. Stevens, “Quantifying the effect of metformin treatment and dose on glycemic control,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 446–454, 2012.
- T. M. Wallace, J. C. Levy, and D. R. Matthews, “Use and abuse of HOMA modeling,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1487–1495, 2004.
- H. Sone, S. Tanaka, S. Iimuro et al., “Comparison of various lipid variables as predictors of coronary heart disease in Japanese men and women with type 2 diabetes: subanalysis of the Japan Diabetes Complications Study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, pp. 1150–1157, 2012.
- S. Bonakdaran, S. Ebrahimzadeh, and S. H. Noghabi, “Cardiovascular disease and risk factors in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Mashhad, Islamic Republic of Iran,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 640–646, 2011.
- MayoClinic, Niacin to Boost Your HDL, “Good”, Cholesterol, MayoClinic, Rochester, Minn, USA, 2011.
- B. Keidan, J. Hsia, and R. Katz, “Plasma lipids and antidiabetic agents: a brief overview,” British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease, vol. 2, article 3, 2002.
- S. T. Brookes, E. Whitley, T. J. Peters, P. A. Mulheran, M. Egger, and G. D. Smith, “Subgroup analyses in randomised controlled trials: quantifying the risks of false-positives and false-negatives,” Health Technology Assessment, vol. 5, no. 33, pp. 1–56, 2001.